Lifts for storing extra cars in garages

I'm going to be house hunting fairly soon, and one of the compromises I may have to make is with the size of the garage. Ideally, I'd like a three-car garage with easy space for one lift, but I may have to shoot for a two-car garage with enough space for two lifts. 

Anyone have any tips, recommendations, advice, endorsements, warnings, helpful experience, etc.? 

In case it makes any difference, I'll be needing to store a 1971 Buick Skylark convertible and a 2017 911 4s (to be purchased in 2020) up top in the winter, and a 2007 Subaru Legacy GT wagon (1.5-2" lower than stock) and a 2012 Subaru Forester XT (but to plan for all possible eventualities, let's just say something the approximate size of a Honda Odyssey or similar) down below. 

We have one kid, and are most likely one-and-done, so in an ideal world, we'll need to be able to open front doors on both sides of both lower vehicles, and one rear door on each. 

I can measure/look up the dimensions of each vehicle myself, but how much extra room will I need to accommodate two lifts? 

Thanks! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

Your problem is usually ceiling height.

A "high" lift clears 7' cars below but doesn't leave much room above when it is up all the way, so you have to account for both. Pier/beam ranch houses usually have high enough ceilings. Cheap extra tall lifts were were about $1,700 last time I looked. Delivered in a crate and pretty easy to install yourself with help.

4 post lift won't impede car doors but two next to each other would really block the center "aisle" for passengers getting to the cars. I also couldn't have one next to the house stairs because there wouldn't be room the way the landing is laid out.

TL/DR: Depends on garage/ceiling set up, but most 2 car garages won't be able to fit two next two each other.

There are also lifts 2 cars wide that can let you fit 4 cars into a 2car easily while keeping the center of the floor clear, but more cost and the inconveniences rod having to move both lower cars to get to either upper car.

Also single-post lifts that cantilever from the side, also letting you keep one side clear for access. Again more expensive and these have higher concrete requirements for the floor.

Look at GarageJournal for tons of ideas and experience. And look at Greg Smith Equipment for a good supplier.

Al, for working on cars, you really want a 2post lift. Depending how big a shop/tall a ceiling, a full 2post lift with overhead crossover is the most useful lift. Clear floor, easy to work on anything, also can store cars up on it, though some debate on whether it's good to store a car suspension unloaded for extended times.

If small garage, or infrequent use, look at MaxJax or QuickJack. Easy to use for a job and then store out of the way.

• Like 1

Last thing, do your own stack up for roof height. Car height plus car height plus lift beam thickness plus about 5 inches to account for distance to the next locking notch.

For most people, garage doors are the height restriction. There are high lift kits as well as jackshaft openers that can get you 6" to a foot of extra height. Also think about backing the upper car in if you are borderline, that usually let's the door open over the car hood where you have more clearance.

Again I highly recommend GarageJournal for research and ideas.

1 hour ago, Sam Lin said:

Al, for working on cars, you really want a 2post lift. Depending how big a shop/tall a ceiling, a full 2post lift with overhead crossover is the most useful lift. Clear floor, easy to work on anything, also can store cars up on it, though some debate on whether it's good to store a car suspension unloaded for extended times.

If small garage, or infrequent use, look at MaxJax or QuickJack. Easy to use for a job and then store out of the way.

Good to know. Thanks.  The garage is 20'+ tall, so height is not an issue.  Just want one that is high quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, davidg said:

Look over on garagejournal.com forum and you'll find all you need about garages/lifts.  Those guys get pretty fanatical about setting up garages/barns for car maintenance/storage.  Lots of good info there.

I took a quick look based on the multiple recommendations and it felt like drinking from a firehose.  Thanks for the tip! 

Personally, I have nothing (directly) to help you out with this, no experience, nada.  But one of the old writers on Jalopnik wrote about this last year, so here is his post, hope it helps:

https://jalopnik.com/i-just-spent-5000-on-a-car-lift-and-i-couldnt-be-happi-1791703186

EDIT:

BTW - also in the market for a home, and I found one with really low garage ceiling and I would need a low profile garage door opener and found this, which at 0:35 has some information you might find useful:

Edited by Captain Ron