Roy Moore will never be Governor of Alabama.

Cheeseweasel

Tom Parker looks to me to be the new darling of the Alabama pro-life movement.  He has long been a big player.

Tom Parker is running against Lyn Stuart for Chief Justice.  Stuart is the current Chief Justice.  Tom Parker is a current Justice.  (I will vote for Stuart.)

I hear absolutely nothing positive about Roy Moore.  That may be because the Moore supporter's rallying cry is to attack Richard Shelby, who, if you remember, said he would write in a different Republican.  (I think he decided to follow my lead.)  Perhaps they won't venture positive comments about Moore until they get concurrence on denigration of Shelby.  But I suspect they have all moved on from Moore.  Some want to purge the Shelby types (which includes me).  But I think most are ready to try to find a way to produce results.  They're smart enough to know that a civil war is not the way.  And I think there are various factions of the social conservatives who have their guy.

Another possibility for them is Scott Dawson.  He is a candidate for Governor, and is backed by Mike Huckabee and the Hobby Lobby founders.  Dawson has ten times the charisma of Parker but Dawson is dynamic and funny, not angry.  Some want the angry type.  Parker has the requisite righteous indignation.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Mike Huckabee

vomit

and the Hobby Lobby founders.

triple vomit

Yeah. I skipped double vomit. Double vomit is for the sanctimonious Chik-Fil-A twits if they ever look up from their simplistic pickle-tasting chicken and dip a toe in Bama politics. Stay the fuck over in bland-ass Georgia you sanctimonious bland-ass pickle-tasting Chik-Fil-A fucklets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah. I skipped double vomit. Double vomit is for the sanctimonious Chik-Fil-A twits if they ever look up from their simplistic pickle-tasting chicken and dip a toe in Bama politics. Stay the fuck over in bland-ass Georgia you sanctimonious bland-ass pickle-tasting Chik-Fil-A fucklets.

I hate their politics, but dammit they make a good sammich

22 hours ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

But ... he was running for senator. 

You are a small time thinker. Gubernatorial election is coming up soon and I garr-in-damn-t-ya that Uncle Roy will throw his cowboy hat and tiny pistol in the ring because his Followers will demand it. Saddle up, Sassy!

Coming soon: Roy Moore will never be President thread.

3 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

I hate their politics, but dammit they make a good sammich

I'll buy one every few months if they are the best option at an interstate exit (not hard to do in America), or for my once-a-year craving for pickle-tasting chicken.

They have some set phrase that sounds quasi-renaissance that they train all the kids to say. It's odd.

I don't care if they want to close on Sunday, or any other day. What irks me is the "Look at me! Look at me! I'm closed on Sunday!" vibe I pick up off of them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Tahoe,

What are you going to do when you get purged too?  It’s happened to a bunch of us already and you keep thinking saner heads will prevail. I don’t understand your optimism.

I expect to get purged.  This stuff always behaves like a pendulum.  The GOP in Alabama is getting stronger and more conservative.

Optimism is a funny word for this.  I view it like a skilled playing poker.  You play the hand the best way you can, and if you do it well over and over you will win.  In any given period my view  (center right, pro capitalism)  may fair poorly.  But my view is probably the best position nationally for long-term success.  So the key is just to keep playing the cards as best as possible.  I don't expect 100% success or quick success.  I expect to fold bad hands.  But I believe in the long run I will win.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, TahoeHorn said:

I expect to get purged.  This stuff always behaves like a pendulum.  The GOP in Alabama is getting stronger and more conservative.

Optimism is a funny word for this.  I view it like a skilled playing poker.  You play the hand the best way you can, and if you do it well over and over you will win.  In any given period my view  (center right, pro capitalism)  may fair poorly.  But my view is probably the best position nationally for long-term success.  So the key is just to keep playing the cards as best as possible.  I don't expect 100% success or quick success.  I expect to fold bad hands.  But I believe in the long run I will win.

So you have bad hands, you know you have bad hands.  You know you are going to continue to have bad hands.  In fact, you know you are going to fold your way right out of the game, but you still think you are going to win.  How? 

On March 26, 2018 at 10:55 PM, RDCanecutter said:

vomit

triple vomit

You can take my waffle fries from my greasy dead hands.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 5:36 PM, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So you have bad hands, you know you have bad hands.  You know you are going to continue to have bad hands.  In fact, you know you are going to fold your way right out of the game, but you still think you are going to win.  How? 

My wing of the party is the largest and contributes the most money.  It has also had good success in producing the Presidential nominee.  An outsized percentage of civil servants and political appointees come from my wing.  Even federal judges.

Just because the latest Presidential nominee is not from my wing doesn't depress me.  I expect to vote another thirty years.

I'm one of 325MM citizens.  And the number is rising.  It would be kind of silly for me to expect to get my way all the time.

I don't expect that the 2020 election will go well at the top of the ticket.  I do expect that the GOP will remain strong at state and local levels.

I think Alabama may start to get nutty.

Edited by TahoeHorn
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TahoeHorn said:

My wing of the party is the largest and contributes the most money.  It has also had good success in producing the Presidential nominee.  An outsized percentage of civil servants and political appointees come from my wing.  Even federal judges.

Just because the latest Presidential nominee is not from my wing doesn't depress me.  I expect to vote another thirty years.

I'm one of 325MM citizens.  And the number is rising.  It would be kind of silly for me to expect to get my way all the time.

I don't expect that the 2020 election will go well at the top of the ticket.  I do expect that the GOP will remain strong at state and local levels.

I think Alabama may start to get nutty.

You just told us you expect to get purged from the party. Then you told us that you were going to keep playing. Now you are telling us something about how great the party is. I’m completely confused by your explanations. 

• Like 1

I don't expect to continue to have all my roles as a party leader in Alabama.  I will get ousted from some, or burned out. 

I get along with the other Republicans; the smart ones want me and the angry ones largely leave me alone.  But sooner or later the angry ones will get angry about something and I'll get whacked.  For example, there is a move to go after Shelby for his Roy Moore position.  There is a move to go after Kay Ivey for appointing a Dem that we can work with to a minority Commission seat.  There will one day be a move to go against Trump - in 2020 if not sooner.  And there is always the pro-life and pro-gun stuff.  It's the Right vs. the Establishment.  I'm in the latter.  The Smart Right hold all the power, but some time the Angry Right get their way.  The Center Right is just along for the ride (in Alabama). One day, after some big fight, the Angry Right will demand my head and get it.  That's how this stuff works.  Think of me as a local Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, John McCain, Jeff Flake or whomever.  People bitch and moan and tolerate because I'm better than a Dem.  But then one day they will get mad and demand a "true Republican", not a RINO.  No more Bush or Romney.  A Santorum, a Cruz or a Trump.  Everywhere.  Some "RINO"s get purged.  Eventually TahoeHorn.  It happens.

Survival isn't my objective.  Fighting every lost cause isn't either.  People with my approach make Colonel but rarely General.  The smart survivors are the Generals.  The fighters of lost causes get bounced as a Major.

But that has almost nothing to do with whether I get my agenda nationally.  And not too much at the state or local level either.  To beat up a bad analogy, my army will be pretty much the same without me. 

For most of my next thirty years I'll have the same impact as the other sixty or seventy million GOP voters.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Ahh, so even if they fuck you with no lube,  you are going to be like a battered wife and still be a good straight ticket voter.  I'm wondering how much further afield it will be allowed to go before you realize that the Establishment Republicans lost control awhile back and aren't likely to get it back.  I hope we're still posting together when you finally see it, because it will be nice to welcome you to the club.

I don't consider it being fucked with no lube if other party people elect somebody else VP of Doughnuts.  That has almost nothing to do with what 65 million people decide to do about electing national leaders.

I make a big distinction between the actions of the party people and the actions of 65 million GOP voters.

• Fuck You 1

Radio station today had the Big Stupid Question "What would you ask for as your last meal if you were about to be executed?"

In between "Fugu" and "Thousand Year Egg" somebody said "The Still-Beating Heart of Roy Moore".

But you knew that, Cheeseweasel, didn't you?

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Radio station today had the Big Stupid Question "What would you ask for as your last meal if you were about to be executed?"

In between "Fugu" and "Thousand Year Egg" somebody said "The Still-Beating Heart of Roy Moore".

But you knew that, Cheeseweasel, didn't you?

I, too, listen to Richard Dixon. But that wasn't me.

• 3 weeks later...

Roy is not a politician. Roy is not actually interested in winning this case.

What matter to Roy is maintaining his I'm-a-Martyr-Mail-Me-Money-Grammaw scam, or IM4G as we call it here inside my head.

This lawsuit should work wonderfully. Roy will look like Grammaw's idea of a Holy Hero, torn apart by Godless Hags and Yankihs and other such skulldugs. She will write him her tithe check. (If her own children ever came to visit her, she might give it to them instead, but they never come around, and when they do they just sit there and stare at those phone things.)