Big 12 Happenings

texasstrong12

On 4/19/2018 at 3:58 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

Gerald Green has/had that same type of athleticism and he still found himself sitting on the couch in January when the Rockets signed him. Hopefully for Zhaire's sake he works ridiculously hard on his game. Being drafted in the 1st round will buy him 2 maybe 3 years of patience, but he needs worlds of improvement on his game to be an everyday NBA Player.

He's a hard worker and a good kid so if it's meant to be, he'll make it. The kid is smart so even if he busts out he's the type that will come back and get his degree. Everything I hear about him internally leads me to believe he'll succeed no matter where he ends up.

12 hours ago, bularry1 said:

agree.  other than nba size, he offers nothing at this point.

Size goes a long way in draft potential. He looked fairly dominant late in the season and in the tournament. Plus when a guy shows interest in going pro they often don't look back. The G League just raised its player salaries. We all know KU can match it, but will they?

Azubuike is not a NBA mold. They want stretch bigs that can move in the NBA. Pretty much the complete opposite of Azubuike. These tweets from the NCAA championship are a good summary of Azubuike's limitations. 

I'm not sure Azuibuike will ever improve in those areas so he may just never be a NBA type. So maybe he just wants to start cashing a check. 

That's pretty much right.  He's quietly a poor rebounder, he's pretty loudly a poor defender...especially bad on the perimeter but in the post his "success" is just size related.  Guys that can match his height have success (Bamba worked him in Austin).  Can't shoot, worse off the pick and roll and De Sousa, who's so raw it's insane.  He can dunk over undersized front lines.  Good luck in the NBA with that as your only plus skill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, he’ll be back. He and Grant Williams have some unfinished business. Tennessee will so well for themselves just to match what they did last year, havinga tarfet in their back this time around. They’ll go as far as Scho and Grant will take them.

Returning all Big 12 players. The players in bold haven't made a decision yet on if they are returning. 

1st team-Dean Wade (K-State)

2nd team-maybe Barry Brown JR (K-State)

3rd team-maybe Azubuike (Kansas) and Sagaba Konate (WV)

Honorable mention-Lard (ISU), Coleman (TX), Osetkowski (TX), Roach (TX) and maybe Wigginton (ISU).

Kind of insane the amount of roster turnover next year in the Big 12. K-State, Kansas, and ISU fans what are you hearing on the players in bold? 

Edited by texasstrong12

I'm starting to think Azubuike could be drafted. Was pretty good at the combine and his measurements were elite. I don't think Azubuike is a fit at all in the NBA but some team might take a flyer on him just because of those measurements. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 5/24/2018 at 9:28 AM, Goo Punch said:

Speaking of elite rim protectors, Sagba Konate is returning to WVU. Sucks for the rest of us.

Yea, saw this and smiled.  Both he and Esa withdrew (wisely) from the draft.  Even losing Dax and Jevon (whom I think turned 40 this week) we should now be ok.  We have a top notch guard coming in named McCabe and a couple of transfers too. 

57 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Azubuike is returning to Kansas.

Possibly the biggest (literal and figurative) announcement of the big12 off season.  Just yesterday we were worried that he goes and Silvio De Sousa is ruled ineligible.  That puts us back to a short bench but this time without a NPOY caliber point guard and zero returning 3 point shooting.

Doke coming back means a very deep front court (6 if SDS is eligible like everyone else was declared) and we are bringing back the high-low offense that led to massive amounts of dunks from 2003-2012.

KU is going to take a step back at pg, there is no doubt.  But that looks to be offset by how much better, deeper, and older we are getting at the 3-5 spots.  We realistically look like the 3 loss team we had with the morris twins that lost to vcu.  We're going to need to look like that team because they released a portion of our non-con schedule this week:

vs. MSU (Indianapolis)

NIT season Tipoff (2 games played between KU, UL, tennessee, Marquette in Brooklyn)

Stanford @ KU

Villanova @ KU

KU @ Arizona State

KU @ UK

It is going to be a tough as noncon.

Edited by Jhawk

55 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

They probably just won the league again.

Honestly, if we didn't lose the league in 2017/18 then the next chance is for 2019/20 season.  We are going to have very high quality experienced depth (3 transfers eligible) and each new guy that isn't a freshman has been a standout where they transferred from.  Then you get into the new guys and we have a big body who can provide fouls.  We have 2 combo guard/wings that are 5 stars coming in and we have a SF that will fight for minutes as a 4 star.  Everything is there for a special season, Bill Self just needs to tweak the pieces so they fit.  This year we probably don't have to worry about fouls or injury like we did the last 2 years and we only HAVE to use a true freshman to take minutes at the 2 or 3 guard spot depending on the rotation.  This will be our best team in a while if we are even just sound at the pg which I'm confident we will have 2 quality ball handlers there in sophomore Marcus garrett (can't shoot but long and good handles) and Charlie Moore (transfer from Cal).

Bigs: Doke, SDS, Dedric Lawson (19ppg 12rpg @ memphis), White boy mitch lightfoot, David McCormmack (6'9" 255 pound frosh)

Guards: Garrett, Moore, cunliffe, KJ Lawson, 5 star Quentin grimes and 5 star devon dotson

We just have a ton of guys and only 3 of them in a very deep 11 man rotation will have not played big minutes at a major university (which means our 8-9 man late season rotation will be high performers and experienced).  Unless the pieces just don't fit together I don't see a way we don't win the league.  In many ways, we are taking a step forward and looking around, the league is taking a step back except for KSU, ISU and TCU who are getting better with age but have a long distance to close on. KSU should finish second in the league in my opinion.  ISU will follow wigginton.

Edited by Jhawk

33 minutes ago, bularry1 said:

Agree, next year's Jayhawk roster looks stacked on paper.  outside shooting I guess might be a weakness?  who knows on the freshmen

Baylor will be better next year.

Outside shooting is the single largest question for KU.  We have almost no experience there.  Hopefully having a very deep and big front line will allow for some wide open shots outside.  If not, then I'll take Doke getting 12-15 touches a game if he continues to hit them at a 75% clip.  That'll put a ton of pressure on teams and with the lawson brothers having some good mid-range game it should open up a lot more spots on the floor.  I really dread only having 1 guy who can consistently hit the 3 ball though.  That reminds me of Roy teams where when we get down big like we did a lot over the last 2 years we have almost no way to come back.  That's a big reason Roy didn't win like Self has.  Roy didn't have clamp down D and he didn't have an abundance of 3 point shooters on any 1 team.  So when Boschee was cold we were just screwed on a comeback bid.

That is awesome.  Really glad to see he is coming back and will be following him all year.  He is probably one of the most "NCAA ready" guards I've ever seen from a body and skill standpoint.  ISU should be on the rise next year.  Pressure is going to be on Prohm to be in the top half of the league and make the tourney with everyone he has coming back.

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

That is awesome.  Really glad to see he is coming back and will be following him all year.  He is probably one of the most "NCAA ready" guards I've ever seen from a body and skill standpoint.  ISU should be on the rise next year.  Pressure is going to be on Prohm to be in the top half of the league and make the tourney with everyone he has coming back.

We have a talented squad.  If we don't dance, Prohm will be in trouble.

22 hours ago, bularry1 said:

Agree, next year's Jayhawk roster looks stacked on paper.  outside shooting I guess might be a weakness?  who knows on the freshmen

Baylor will be better next year.

The backcourt is young and the best perimeter defender with the only real game experience at Kansas can't shoot.  So there are question marks.

Lot of talent, though.

6 hours ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Right now, it looks like Texas will be better than Oklahoma and ....???

TCU, Tech, ISU, OSU, and Baylor. I guess not KU, and not sure on KSU and WVU. So that's better than 6, not sure on 2, probably not better than 1.

• Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I like that we’re leaving room for doubt on whether or not we will be better than Kansas next year.  Don’t want to get too cocky or anything.

Kansas loses Graham and Mikaliuk, their 2 best players. By "Lawnghorn's" logic, that means they are bound to suck next year.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I'm just saying your opinions diverge from most of the people here.

Yeah, well, if this were a KU board, or some other basketball school, you'd hear from more people like me for whom college basketball is their number one sport. Here at UT we've got some fans who really know their shit when it comes to football, but basketball not so much. Case in point, the idiot Rex Kramer, who spent all season last year proclaiming that we would not be a tourney team. And he was widely backed by other morons like UTGrad and James Harden.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I don't know why people are overreacting to Cameltoe's post. 

Oklahoma: We were better than OU last year and they lost the 1 player that made their team go in Trae Young. They also lost another really good player in McGusty. 

Texas Tech: Really good last year but it's a complete rebuild job in year 3 for Beard. They lost Evans, Zhaire Smith, Stevenson, Zach Smith, Gray and Hamilton. 

Iowa State: They return almost everyone but they were bad last year (didn't make the tournament). They did lose Donovan Jackson who was probably their 2nd best player. 

Baylor: Missed the tournament last year and they lost a lot in Lecomte, Acul, Omot, and Maston. 

TCU: Finished 1 game above Texas in the Big 12 standings last year but they lose probably their best two players in Brodziansky and Williams. I think TCU will be the best team out of the bunch listed here. 

Oklahoma State-They lose 3 of their best players from last year in Carroll, Smith and Solomon. Shine also went pro and Averette transferred. I don't think OK State will be very good next year. 

I'm not sure what Cameltoe said that was so absurd. WV, KSU and Kansas are probably better than us. WV and Kansas lose a lot too so it's tough to predict. Granted, Kansas did a good job of rebuilding through transfers and recruiting. 

Saying we might be better than the above 6 teams is not a crazy prediction. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

Iowa State and Tech brought in a bunch of transfers to infuse talent onto their rosters. In the case of ISU, Wigginton will be a legitimate star. I don't know exactly where we will be relative to the rest of the league, but I do think the drop-off in conference strength will be less than some initially anticipated.

Also, what KU did isn't so much rebuilding as it is reloading. That's what blue bloods do.

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

but I do think the drop-off in conference strength will be less than some initially anticipated.

Maybe, but I bet we aren't anywhere close to the #1 RPI basketball league next year. Bet the Big 12 finishes around 3rd. The Big East, ACC, and SEC all have a chance of being better than the Big 12 when you compare returning players. 

A few players came back (most expected), but overall the Big 12 lost a lot. 

Edited by texasstrong12

6 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Kansas loses Graham and Mikaliuk, their 2 best players. By "Lawnghorn's" logic, that means they are bound to suck next year.

Yep. Because Kansas and Texas' rosters are identical outside of their two best players and the level of coaching is also identical. Jesus, you are a dumbfuck.  

Edited by UT Lawnghorn

18 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't know why people are overreacting to Cameltoe's post. 

Oklahoma: We were better than OU last year and they lost the 1 player that made their team go in Trae Young. They also lost another really good player in McGusty. 

Texas Tech: Really good last year but it's a complete rebuild job in year 3 for Beard. They lost Evans, Zhaire Smith, Stevenson, Zach Smith, Gray and Hamilton. 

Iowa State: They return almost everyone but they were bad last year (didn't make the tournament). They did lose Donovan Jackson who was probably their 2nd best player. 

Baylor: Missed the tournament last year and they lost a lot in Lecomte, Acul, Omot, and Maston. 

TCU: Finished 1 game above Texas in the Big 12 standings last year but they lose probably their best two players in Brodziansky and Williams. I think TCU will be the best team out of the bunch listed here. 

Oklahoma State-They lose 3 of their best players from last year in Carroll, Smith and Solomon. Shine also went pro and Averette transferred. I don't think OK State will be very good next year. 

I'm not sure what Cameltoe said that was so absurd. WV, KSU and Kansas are probably better than us. WV and Kansas lose a lot too so it's tough to predict. Granted, Kansas did a good job of rebuilding through transfers and recruiting. 

Saying we might be better than the above 6 teams is not a crazy prediction. 

1. You're focusing on what they lose without focusing on who they brought in. Most of those teams are reloading with transfers and JUCOs while we are bringing freshmen, most of whom aren't expected to be big time contributors right away with 1 transfer becoming eligible who's a pretty big unkown. 

2. It's not crazy to say we might be better than 2-3 of the teams he listed (TCU, Tech, ISU, OSU, and Baylor), but to say we'll be better than ALL of them AND to say he's not sure on KSU and WV is fucking insane. 

Shaka has finished 4th, 10th, and  tied for 7th with 2 other teams in his 3 years here. This will be his second-least talented team during his tenure.  There's literally no reason to think that we'll we might be the 2nd best team in the conference. Our roster is not that talented and we sure as hell don't have the second best coach in the conference.

17 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Most of those teams are reloading with transfers and JUCOs 

This is what teams do when they lose a bunch of players.

People are drastically overvaluing the transfers that Big 12 teams added. Especially at OU, Tech, and Iowa State. 

Players like Mooney aren't going to come in and replace the production of Evans and Zhaire Smith. Calixte and Reynolds aren't going to come anywhere close to replacing the production of Trae Young. 

A lot of big 12 teams made stopgap additions because of the crazy amount of roster turnover. This will certainly prevent a huge drop off, but people are overvaluing the additions of some of these transfers. Most teams are replacing really good Big 12 players with decent players from smaller conferences. 

About the only team I view as "reloading" with transfers is Kansas. 

Edited by texasstrong12