2018-19 Big 12 Basketball Thread

Horny Bull

That’s big. I didn’t think he’d leave but the prevailing thought among KU fans is that he would. 

De Sousa appeal has been filed and the indication is the NCAA has 7-10 business days to respond. Apparently 99% of appeals end in a reduced punishment. Maybe SDS gets off easy with time served after being out for effectively a year and a half. 

On 4/25/2019 at 1:46 PM, Machinator said:

"TCU’s Corey Barker took $6,000.  Dawkins says of TCU: “They’re all cheaters, his whole fucking staff."

Pretty damning tweet for TCU -- Then Jamie follows this by hiring an assistant basketball coach from LSU??

Edited by LTtxfan

6-year contract for Beard.

$4.2m per year, increasing by $100k annually. Automatic extension if he makes the tourney 3 times during the current contract terms, $750k retention bonus effective Sept. 1, 2020.

Buyout is $6m for Big 12 or Texas teams, decreasing by $1m per year. $3m for non-Big 12/NBA teams, decreasing by $500k per year.

Worth noting his buyout is cut in half if Kirby Hocutt is no longer the AD at Tech.

Edited by Brian Fantana

The Kirby Hocutt clause is smart. Now Tech has to bump him up. Which they will. The new oil money alumni are obscenely wealthy. 

Beard also took care of his staff.

30 mil on the new basketball training center is being built right now. Recruits flocking. 

Truth is, Tech has to do it if they want to insure relevance should a realignment war break out again. 

8 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Credible sources have reported the Bulls have offered to double his current salary.  But at his age, with his son coaching nearby, at what's likely very near the end of his career, does he really want to pick up and move to Chicago?

There's all that, all the ties to the Lubbock area and family ties and he's got a pretty good gig working with a great HC and just got a nice raise, but also there's the fact that Chicago is terrible and will continue to be terrible, so that job might only last for a year or two.  Maybe Beard can tell him "go get your money and there's a place for you when you want to come back", but I don't know if it really works like that.

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

There's all that, all the ties to the Lubbock area and family ties and he's got a pretty good gig working with a great HC and just got a nice raise, but also there's the fact that Chicago is terrible and will continue to be terrible, so that job might only last for a year or two.  Maybe Beard can tell him "go get your money and there's a place for you when you want to come back", but I don't know if it really works like that.

Maybe Tech could increase Adams raise a little more??  They don't have to match the Bulls offer, but add another $50-75k maybe....

It’ll be interesting to see how the talent works with the coaching now that big time recruits are going to tech. Will the defensive coordinator role be as important when you have far more talent on offense? We know that 5 star kids are 5 star because of their offensive prowess and not necessarily the defense they play. Will they listen or will they slack off on D? Tech is about to go through the adjustment pains that the top schools have been dealing with since 1 and done started. 

There are a lot of KU fans that wish self would recruit top 20-75 guys instead of top 10 guys because the 5 stars don’t feel the need to give effort since their raw talent is above many other recruits ceilings. It’ll be fun to watch beard grow into this level of competition. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

It’ll be interesting to see how the talent works with the coaching now that big time recruits are going to tech. Will the defensive coordinator role be as important when you have far more talent on offense? We know that 5 star kids are 5 star because of their offensive prowess and not necessarily the defense they play. Will they listen or will they slack off on D? Tech is about to go through the adjustment pains that the top schools have been dealing with since 1 and done started. 

There are a lot of KU fans that wish self would recruit top 20-75 guys instead of top 10 guys because the 5 stars don’t feel the need to give effort since their raw talent is above many other recruits ceilings. It’ll be fun to watch beard grow into this level of competition. 

I can't see him suddenly catering to prima donnas.  It would obviously be counter productive to not take the most talented players he can, but he's shown what he can do with a handful of borderline elite talents and a bunch of grinders and role players.  One of the luxuries he's afforded himself by staying at Tech is not having to deal with the expectation to load his team up with blue chippers, like he would at UT, much less UCLA or some place like that.  He can take only the guys that he's sure will fit in with what he wants to do, and no one in Lubbock or at Tech will say a word about it.

To your other point, it would hurt to lose Adams, regardless of any other factors.  

I don't think he'll "cater" at all either and time and time again has proven that you always get the best players possible.  Always get the bets players.  The issue isn't catering to a prima donna, it is how hard is that 5 star guy going to work on the court when the game is going.  Wiggins was a great talent and one you take 100 out of 100 times.  But I can tell you that not one time did wiggins get on the floor for a loose ball.  He also wasn't a lock down defender despite having one of the best wingspans in the country relative to his position on the court.  He was capable of being a great offensive player and a great defensive player but he was just a great offensive player because that is what matters when you have your eyes on the next level.  My point was that 5 star guys ALWAYS have their eyes on the next level and for a coach that made his name on the defensive side of the ball that is going to take some adjusting.

That is why I also brought Self into the convo.  He was known for a more methodical offense (high low) and a superior defense when he first came to KU.  Taking on one and done recruits in recent years hasn't really given Self the chance to have EVERYONE focused on solid team defense.  Its seems like a little adjustment, but it is massive because you can coach a kid all you want but you can't control what they do on the court during the game.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

But I can tell you that not one time did wiggins get on the floor for a loose ball.  He also wasn't a lock down defender despite having one of the best wingspans in the country relative to his position on the court.  

For me, tolerating this is catering to a prima donna.

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

For me, tolerating this is catering to a prima donna.

So would you bench the #1 pick in the NBA draft for it? Would you demote him to a 6th man even though he averages 17 on 12 shots a game?  

The other effect this has is that it will signal to other 5 star guys that they will be expected to do things they won’t want to do or they’ll be benched. Being benched doesn’t bode well for draft stock and thus you start not having 5 star guys look at your school because you coach them too hard. This is a pretty big debate among KU fans so it’s interesting to see how tech fans feel. You want the best talent but beard and self didn’t get where they are with 5 star guys up and down the roster. 

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe Tech could increase Adams raise a little more??  They don't have to match the Bulls offer, but add another $50-75k maybe....

TT just within the last week or two increased their basketball asst. salary pool, to if you believe what you read, the first or second highest in the conference.  Maybe that will get it done.  As a fan, I'd hate to lose him.

14 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

TT just within the last week or two increased their basketball asst. salary pool, to if you believe what you read, the first or second highest in the conference.  Maybe that will get it done.  As a fan, I'd hate to lose him.

Thx, was aware of recent increase.  But if it takes just another $50k to show good faith and their appreciation, Tech should do it.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

If it's any time indicator, Beard certainly didn't play with Khavon Moore this year.  He gone.  Wasn't a 5 star but until last year the highest ranked basketball player TT had ever signed.

We'll soon get an idea I guess.  Has one 5 star signed currently and still with the chance of getting Hampton (supposedly the kid is more pro TT than his dad, so who knows?).

Btw, even with better players I wouldn't expect the role of defense in Beard's scheme to diminish.

On 5/10/2019 at 6:22 PM, Jhawk said:

Yep. It’ll be fun to see the rise of a national player in tech so up close. Hopefully beard stays until KU snags him. I think he could get a duke offer if K goes though. 

Never know. So not saying it won’t ever happen. Given his personality and his interviews, actions, etc. I believe Beard is more interested in writing his own book rather than just a chapter at the end of a long one, if that makes sense. 

13 hours ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Never know. So not saying it won’t ever happen. Given his personality and his interviews, actions, etc. I believe Beard is more interested in writing his own book rather than just a chapter at the end of a long one, if that makes sense. 

I get that, but the truth is that if he is a blue blood caliber coach then no program will be a better job than the one he has created until that job can offer the opportunity to be a legend at a legendary school. At KU for example he would be the 9th coach in the history of the second winningest program of all time at the school where the original mastermind of the game AND the top of the coaching family tree worked in Naismith and phog Allen. Being a success at a program where your picture gets hung on the wall next to those two is something that you can’t create yourself. 

If he isn’t going to come to KU after sustained success at tech then I want him to stay right where he is.  He still needs some years in my opinion before he’s ready for that blue blood job. Have to see sustained success in both wins and recruiting. 

You're as eaten up with entitlement as these UT boys.

You don't get him just because you want him.  And he ain't comin just because you have a vacancy...and you fucking don't.

I’m sure Illinois thought the same thing about self and Memphis thought the same thing about Cal. I’m also not sold on him. No entitlement to it. Coaches move to better jobs every year. There is a lot more samples of coaches that move than coaches that stay. 

I think Chris Mack is the best young coach in the country if you give him the basketball resources that a blue blood would offer. And it has nothing to do with vacancy. No school with a coach that is a championship winner is interviewing other coaches to build a list of guys they want. If self wants to be here for 20 more years I don’t care if beard wins 2 nattys in that time. I’m dancing with the girl that brung me. 

2 years ago, Tech came to Lawrence and beat the fuck out of Kansas. Kansas responded. This year home and home. 

The thing about the loss to KU this year was it launched Tech to a share of the Conference and ultimately that run led to all the way to Monday night. Sure there was more than that, but my point is, I wouldn’t be surprised if Techs recent success launches a reinvigorated KU response. 

This Conference has flaws but in basketball. Its a gotdamn murders row. Especially now that Tech has raised the bar. So all this is good stuff if you choose to look at it that way. I say game on and the best is yet to come. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’m sure Illinois thought the same thing about self and Memphis thought the same thing about Cal. I’m also not sold on him. No entitlement to it. Coaches move to better jobs every year. There is a lot more samples of coaches that move than coaches that stay. 

I think Chris Mack is the best young coach in the country if you give him the basketball resources that a blue blood would offer. And it has nothing to do with vacancy. No school with a coach that is a championship winner is interviewing other coaches to build a list of guys they want. If self wants to be here for 20 more years I don’t care if beard wins 2 nattys in that time. I’m dancing with the girl that brung me. 

Change of subject here, but what do you hear about RJ Hampton and where he might be headed?  Seems to be a lot of conflicting information in his case. Jayhawks like their chances?  I'm thinking Memphis, but it's certainly a mystery to me. Appreciate your thoughts. 

On 5/10/2019 at 5:38 PM, Jhawk said:

So would you bench the #1 pick in the NBA draft for it? Would you demote him to a 6th man even though he averages 17 on 12 shots a game?  

The other effect this has is that it will signal to other 5 star guys that they will be expected to do things they won’t want to do or they’ll be benched. Being benched doesn’t bode well for draft stock and thus you start not having 5 star guys look at your school because you coach them too hard. This is a pretty big debate among KU fans so it’s interesting to see how tech fans feel. You want the best talent but beard and self didn’t get where they are with 5 star guys up and down the roster. 

So Khavon Moore leaving the Tech program is a bigger statement than Zhaire Smith(18) and Jarret Culver(19) going to the NBA, despite NOT being touted as a one-and-done( 2 and done for Culver) players?

Accountability makes a program attractive, IMHO.  So does player development.

Hell, now the grad students are wanting into Beard's program too,  because of what Owens and Mooney did as vital cogs in 2019.

8 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Change of subject here, but what do you hear about RJ Hampton and where he might be headed?  Seems to be a lot of conflicting information in his case. Jayhawks like their chances?  I'm thinking Memphis, but it's certainly a mystery to me. Appreciate your thoughts. 

I’ve got no read on him. 247 seems to think he’s KU bound. We can offer him the most and need him the most so there’s that. Evan Daniels picked him to KU and he’s like 97% accurate over the last year. Apparently Memphis has a lot of guards knocking on their door, including the recent duke decommit. KU needs him badly and apparently his reclassification was suggested by KU with self meeting with him the day after that announcement. I think he announces at the end of the month. 

2 hours ago, slorch said:

So Khavon Moore leaving the Tech program is a bigger statement than Zhaire Smith(18) and Jarret Culver(19) going to the NBA, despite NOT being touted as a one-and-done( 2 and done for Culver) players?

Accountability makes a program attractive, IMHO.  So does player development.

Hell, now the grad students are wanting into Beard's program too,  because of what Owens and Mooney did as vital cogs in 2019.

I’m not sure where you’re going with this. All I’ve said is that 5 star players typically give more effort to offense than defense these days and that it’ll be interesting to see how beard handles that. I get what the expectations will be. As a KU fan we expect every 5 star to be the first pick in the draft and having to bandage the floor burns on his knees every game. But that just isn’t the case. 

As far as accountability, that’s your opinion. Plenty of big time recruits have gone to programs with lesser developmental coaches and have be “given the keys” because they want to be given the starting roll, not win it. They want PT over anything because in the one and done era the one year is just an audition for the 5 star player.

i don’t see what grad transfers have to do with a conversation about 5 star recruits. I think you want to be defending your program against something that I’ve never even implied. Beard is great for tech and tech being good is great for the conference. It’ll be fun to watch the talent he brings in and how he manages that talent once it gets there. Coaching is just half the game when you turn over your roster every few years. 

Players aren’t going to Duke because Coach K coddles them.  He challenges the living hell out of them.  So does Bill Self, among others.

My response was addressing the notion that coaches these days gotta back off to get players to go there.

Might be true in some cases, but if the player is serious about making the next level, hey are going to have to put in the work if they want PT. That is accountability.  With regard to Beard, he has made it explicitly clear on that front.

I never said coaches back off players. I said big name players do whatever they want when they’re on the court. You can coach a player to pass every time he touches the ball. Once he’s on the court you aren’t in control of his actions. If you yank him for not passing he is going to be frustrated and if he is one and done caliber, which all 5 stars see themselves as, then he probably isn’t going to change because he is a 5 star and one and done for his offensive talent not his defensive effort. His offense is going to get him in the lottery. 

I never said beard will lay off them or should expect to lay off them. I said it’ll be interesting to see how he works with talent that traditionally doesn’t outwork the competition, just out talents the competition. I can actually see beard going the knight route and under-recruiting because he can play his style and get more out of kids that have to give 100% all the time. At ku we have a ton of fans that wish self would focus on 3-4 year guys rather than top 10 guys specifically because of what I have stated. Frank mason and devonte graham did more for KU than Wiggins and embiid combined and every fan recognizes that but you need a guy who can get you 20 any given night and FM/DG weren’t that guy until years 3-4. 

Edited by Jhawk

10 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’ve got no read on him. 247 seems to think he’s KU bound. We can offer him the most and need him the most so there’s that. Evan Daniels picked him to KU and he’s like 97% accurate over the last year. Apparently Memphis has a lot of guards knocking on their door, including the recent duke decommit. KU needs him badly and apparently his reclassification was suggested by KU with self meeting with him the day after that announcement. I think he announces at the end of the month. 

Got some guys he knows already committed to Memphis and they've put together a good class, so I understand that is attractive to him as well.  As to announcing, tweeted today "your question will be answered soon".  Perhaps we'll know sooner than later.

14 hours ago, Jhawk said:

If you believe this piece anyway, supposedly tonight's Boogie Ellis commitment to Memphis narrows the field to three for Hampton.  I personally now think it'll be Kansas.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/does-boogie-ellis-memphis-commitment-change-rj-hampton-path

8 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

That’s your own damn fault. Of all the Tech fans to try to have a conversation with...

e12dc7cce6e7430abd77038135ab267b.jpg

You're right.

This thread is chock full of unreasonable conversations, right?

Fuck off Xerox boy.

10 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

If you believe this piece anyway, supposedly tonight's Boogie Ellis commitment to Memphis narrows the field to three for Hampton.  I personally now think it'll be Kansas.

https://usatodayhss.com/2019/does-boogie-ellis-memphis-commitment-change-rj-hampton-path

Agreed. His best shot is probably Kansas. He can play at Memphis and be the best player in the NIT or Kansas where he'll be the starter day 1 on a guaranteed tournament team. Beard would obviously take him but I don't think Tech really needs an RJ Hampton right now.