Grammy's 2019

LTtxfan

Well. 

OK.

THAT was fucking brilliant.  THAT'S a musician.

Without a doubt. Just fantastic.

Now I’ll ask the asshole question: how much does the politics of the day and the song’s subject matter play into its recognition by whoever decides who gets Grammy recognition?

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Now I’ll ask the asshole question: how much does the politics of the day and the song’s subject matter play into its recognition by whoever decides who gets Grammy recognition?

Probably quite a bit.  That said, I have thought that was a song for the ages from the moment I heard it.  I know I posted something to that effect when it first came out almost a year ago, maybe on the old site.  It's just an incredibly well-written, well-performed, well-produced track.  

She allegedly wrote it in less than a day to try to flesh out the album.

7 hours ago, spystud13 said:

That a girl, Kacey! 

"Musgraves dominated the country music categories, winning Best Country Album for Golden Hour and Best Country Solo Performance for "Butterflies."

But this morning, according to stats on Country Music stations...... Kacey's album is not country.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

"Musgraves dominated the country music categories, winning Best Country Album for Golden Hour and Best Country Solo Performance for "Butterflies."

But this morning, according to stats on Country Music stations...... Kacey's album is not country.

Well what's considered country by those stations is up for the CMAs which everyone complains about also not being country. 

13 hours ago, Grandioso said:

When I was at the LSD Tour (Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, and Dwight Yoakum), I got on wikipedia and did some statistical checks:

Lucinda Williams, Steve Earle, and Dwight Yoakum have a combined 49 grammy nominations and 8 grammy wins.

Taylor Swift has 10 grammy wins.

Taylor Swift is basically just the device through which the talent of 100 writers, producers, musicians, sound engineers, etc. is delivered. It's like someone giving out an award for the world's fastest jet and handing it to the dude who painted it. 

Also, Grammys don't mean shit. But I am glad they are expanding the Americana & regional genre awards.

I agree with the sentiment to some extent.  But these are not the best examples.

There are a whole lot of TS songs where she has the sole writing credit, including a lot of big hits.   And you could strip all the production out of some of those songs and IMO make them much better (see the Allison Krause and Vince Gill version of "Red" from the CMAs for proof of this).  The girl is a real talent and would have succeeded with other producers, co-writers, etc. 

Also have to point out that a large number of the "real" artists we all love from the last 5 years all work with the same producer (Dave Cobb).  That includes Isbell, Brandi Carlisle, and Sturgill (on the better of his albums). So it is not like flashy artists like TS are the only ones benefiting from talented producers who make their work better.   

As for Lucinda, she won grammys for Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and for Passionate Kisses. What else has she done that is particularly worthy of recognition.     Steve and Dwight probably should have won more than they have, but both are hurt by the fact that by far their best work was on debut albums when nobody knew who they were. 

14 hours ago, Grandioso said:

Taylor Swift is basically just the device through which the talent of 100 writers, producers, musicians, sound engineers, etc. is delivered. It's like someone giving out an award a blank check for the world's fastest jet and handing it to the dude who painted it. 

Edited by EMAWesome

13 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Without a doubt. Just fantastic.

Probably about as much as the politics of the day and a movie's subject matter play into recognition by whoever decides who gets Oscar recognition.

I agree with the sentiment to some extent.  But these are not the best examples.
There are a whole lot of TS songs where she has the sole writing credit, including a lot of big hits.   And you could strip all the production out of some of those songs and IMO make them much better (see the Allison Krause and Vince Gill version of "Red" from the CMAs for proof of this).  The girl is a real talent and would have succeeded with other producers, co-writers, etc. 
Also have to point out that a large number of the "real" artists we all love from the last 5 years all work with the same producer (Dave Cobb).  That includes Isbell, Brandi Carlisle, and Sturgill (on the better of his albums). So it is not like flashy artists like TS are the only ones benefiting from talented producers who make their work better.   
As for Lucinda, she won grammys for Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and for Passionate Kisses. What else has she done that is particularly worthy of recognition.     Steve and Dwight probably should have won more than they have, but both are hurt by the fact that by far their best work was on debut albums when nobody knew who they were. 

Also see Ryan Adams track-by-track cover of Taylor Swift’s 1989.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ollie Slatt said:

I don't disagree, but I also love some of the production on her tracks.  "Delicate" is a great example.  It's a big, rich, fat song, with a ton of low end and a lot of sprinkles on top.  Combine that with a pretty catchy hook and . . . voila! another few million sales.  I think she's far from the biggest problem in pop music.