2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

Iceman was a 5-time 1st team All-NBA player.  Finished top-3 in MVP voting 3 times and was a 4-time scoring champ. He was also top-20 in blocks AND steals while shooting >54% from the field. Dude was precursor to McGrady and Durant and would be a major matchup problem from the wing against anybody.  Dude could get buckets.  Recency bias FTL.

Then you can bring Manu off the bench as 6th man.

• Hook 'Em 2

All-time Mavericks team is interesting as well. Not exactly a defensive powerhouse, but the passing and scoring would be something to watch.  

PG - Jason Kidd (2010) - 10.3 / 5.6 / 9.1 / 1.8 / 0.4 - All-Star, 1st Team Defense

SG - Steve Nash (2004) - 17.7 / 2.9 / 7.3 / 1.0 / 0.1 - 3rd Team All-NBA (MVP next year)

SF - Luka Doncic (2020) - 28.8 / 9.4 / 8.8 / 1.0 / 0.2 - 1st Team All-NBA

PF - Dirk Nowitzki (2007) - 24.5 / 8.8 / 3.4 / 0.7 / 0.3 - MVP

C - Tyson Chandler (2011) - 10.1 / 9.4 / 0.4 / 0.5 / 1.1 - DPOY next year

Bench

SG - Rolando Blackmon (1986) - 21.5 / 3.5 / 3.3 / 1.0 / 0.3 - All-Star

SF - Michael Finley (2000) - 22.6 / 6.3 / 5.3 / 1.3 / 0.4 - All-Star

SF - Mark Aguirre (1987) - 25.7 / 5.3 / 3.2 / 1.1 / 0.4 - All Star

C - Kristaps Porzingis (2020) - 20.4 / 9.5 / 1.8 / 0.7 / 2.0

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

All-time Mavericks team is interesting as well. Not exactly a defensive powerhouse, but the passing and scoring would be something to watch.  

PG - Jason Kidd (2010) - 10.3 / 5.6 / 9.1 / 1.8 / 0.4 - All-Star, 1st Team Defense

SG - Steve Nash (2004) - 17.7 / 2.9 / 7.3 / 1.0 / 0.1 - 3rd Team All-NBA (MVP next year)

SF - Luka Doncic (2020) - 28.8 / 9.4 / 8.8 / 1.0 / 0.2 - 1st Team All-NBA

PF - Dirk Nowitzki (2007) - 24.5 / 8.8 / 3.4 / 0.7 / 0.3 - MVP

C - Tyson Chandler (2011) - 10.1 / 9.4 / 0.4 / 0.5 / 1.1 - DPOY next year

Bench

SG - Rolando Blackmon (1986) - 21.5 / 3.5 / 3.3 / 1.0 / 0.3 - All-Star

SF - Michael Finley (2000) - 22.6 / 6.3 / 5.3 / 1.3 / 0.4 - All-Star

SF - Mark Aguirre (1987) - 25.7 / 5.3 / 3.2 / 1.1 / 0.4 - All Star

C - Kristaps Porzingis (2020) - 20.4 / 9.5 / 1.8 / 0.7 / 2.0

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the awards, but 2010 JKIdd was not 1st Team Defense

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Iceman was a 5-time 1st team All-NBA player.  Finished top-3 in MVP voting 3 times and was a 4-time scoring champ. He was also top-20 in blocks AND steals while shooting >54% from the field. Dude was precursor to McGrady and Durant and would be a major matchup problem from the wing against anybody.  Dude could get buckets.  Recency bias FTL.

Then you can bring Manu off the bench as 6th man.

Thank you. The entire argument is ridiculous. For a good five year period, Ice was considered hands down, the best guard in the NBA. It really wasn't until Magic had been in the league for a couple of years when that changed. Don't get me wrong, I would have Manu Ginobili's babies if I could but there isn't any fucking universe where he was considered the consensus best guard in the league for any stretch of time. And with regard to Ice being a precursor to McGrady and Durant, it really goes beyond that. Ice was the first ever true big guard. Before Ice, if you were taller than 6'5" or so, you were a forward. At 6'8" he revolutionized the shooting guard position. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Also, has the ever been a cooler poster than this???

6ef604adf187c6feaafef6da7a198d7f.jpg

Nope.   Those Nike posters from that time were amazing.    There was another company that made some great ones too during that time.    

I have a laminated one of these in my office.    

Nike Supreme Court | Nba pictures, Nike poster, Basketball posters

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

csb  I actually got to hang out a little with Gerv in the late 90s when he was coaching the Detroit Dogs in the new ABA.     One of my best friends was on their PR team.    Gerv was cool as shit just like you'd expect him to be.   Loved just kicking it about ball. /csb

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Thank you. The entire argument is ridiculous. For a good five year period, Ice was considered hands down, the best guard in the NBA. It really wasn't until Magic had been in the league for a couple of years when that changed. Don't get me wrong, I would have Manu Ginobili's babies if I could but there isn't any fucking universe where he was considered the consensus best guard in the league for any stretch of time. And with regard to Ice being a precursor to McGrady and Durant, it really goes beyond that. Ice was the first ever true big guard. Before Ice, if you were taller than 6'5" or so, you were a forward. At 6'8" he revolutionized the shooting guard position. 

He could also finger roll.

Got to watch the Iceman in both the ABA and NBA at Hemisfair Arena.  Attendance was spotty in those days and you could buy a cheap ticket to get in and move close to the floor with no problem.  Ice played like he was in slow motion.  He never got in a hurry.  Just an incredibly smooth player.  Those George Gervin & Larry Kenon SA teams were fun to watch.  Not a lot of defense, but, damn, they could light it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 9/9/2020 at 9:55 AM, BradInATX said:
- Do everything in my power to get a wing that can stretch the floor and defend the three ball against the other team's top scoring wing. Since they're not getting Jimmy Butler, I would try to make the Pelicans an offer they couldn't refuse for Jrue Holliday, who I think would be the perfect compliment to Giannis. I'd tell the Pelicans they can have both Lopezes, Bledsoe, George Hill, and whatever draft picks and remaining players they need. I don't know if that's enough to get there, I'm not sure how the Pelicans slot Jrue into their future/Zion plans.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2