2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

It has been a bleak year for televised sports all around, and the NBA’s ratings aren’t even declining as steeply as many other sports’. The NBA Finals have hit record lows in ratings, yet the games are still among the top non-NFL live sports television programming this year. Rather than form more coherent possible reasons for the ratings fall—people are watching less TV overall; there are an unprecedented amount of sports on; we’re still in a pandemic—disingenuous blowhards like Jason Whitlock claim that it’s LeBron’s politics that are driving fans away.

https://defector.com/concern-trolling-about-nba-ratings-has-always-been-the-loudest-dog-whistle/

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Harrison Stafford said:

This is where diehard NBA fans post and have always considered myself as such.  Have been watching the NBA finals since 1965 when ABC began broadcasting the games and most people in this country could give a shit about the league.  Perhaps, hard core fans would want to know just how much trouble is ahead for the league if people are tuning out...especially fans who are familiar with the product.  A 50% drop in viewership should be disconcerting for anyone interested in the NBA.  You have a legendary franchise with the best basketball player on the planet and you can barely beat celebrity family feud.  Sunday Night Football featured Minnesota vs Seattle and had almost twice the viewers as Sunday's NBA final.  That's just sad.  Adam Silver has said there will be no more "messages" on the courts next year to tone down the politics.  I can't pinpoint why I didn't care this year, but I didn't. Maybe this season felt like drinking Diet Coke instead of the real thing. No matter what the reasoning behind the ratings are, the NBA has to figure it all out,  And, the coronavirus still looms. 

There is no "looking into".  At this point, Adam Silver will even suck your dick it you promise to continue watching.  

And there it is.........right on schedule.  

vVW4yCH.gif

19 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My only point is that I think they are going to have trouble building out a quality supporting cast without any assets other than Lebron and AD. They aren't going to have much cap space and they don't have any young assets or picks to trade. Their only real avenue is free agency.

Maybe it doesn't matter -- those two dudes are so good that they can just surround them with vets on the minimum and they can win no matter what. Maybe they can find some ring chasers or pick up enough guys off of buyouts at the trade deadline and maybe they can buy a pick or two. I still think the rest of the team makes a difference. I just don't know that they are going to be able to pick up guys that worked out as well as Rondo, Howard and Morris did this year. I don't think Rob Pelinka is that great of a GM and he's going to have to start overpaying Clutch's clients as well. 

I think you underestimate the draw vets will have to come here on whatever deal they can get.  Players don't want to play their whole career without a title.  Coming here will give them a very good shot at it.  I bet they get better players to fill out their roster than this season.

Just now, Sbbruin said:

Jordan absolutely cares deeply about being the GOAT.

I'm sure he does as he has an enormous ego.  But, at least publicly, he's never pandered or worried about being called the greatest.  He always says that's for others to decide.  LBJ has KD level insecurity about the debate.  What is he upset about?  He has titles, MVP,s, millions, soon to be billions and everyone considers him one of the greatest to ever play, if not the greatest.  Can you imagine Tom Brady posting the above on Instagram after winning a Super Bowl?  

Jordan....

“If you care about being called the greatest basketball player ever, does that matter, do you want that?” Jordan replies, “I don’t want it, in a sense, because I think it disrespects Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West — you know, all the guys that, prior to me, I never had a chance to play against. What everybody is saying I am, I never had the chance to compete against other legends that was prior to me.

"When I hear it, I cringe a little bit, because it’s a little bit embarrassing, because no one knows. I never had the chance to, once again, to play against those guys,” Jordan continues. “I would love to have played against them, but I never did. And for you to say that I’m better than him, I mean it’s your opinion, it’s their opinion. I accept that as their opinion.

“If you ask me, I would never say that I am the greatest player. That’s because I never played against all the people that represented the league prior to Michael Jordan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/03/lebron-jamess-goat-talk-got-internet-dig-up-michael-jordans-much-humbler-comments/

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Why is he so insecure about his place in history?  I've never seen anyone else in that stratosphere be worried about whether people consider them the best or not.

spacer.png

What a fucking dweeb. This is why it's so easy to cheer against your ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I'm sure he does as he has an enormous ego.  But, at least publicly, he's never pandered or worried about being called the greatest.  He always says that's for others to decide.  LBJ has KD level insecurity about the debate.  What is he upset about?  He has titles, MVP,s, millions, soon to be billions and everyone considers him one of the greatest to ever play, if not the greatest.  Can you imagine Tom Brady posting the above on Instagram after winning a Super Bowl?  

Jordan....

“If you care about being called the greatest basketball player ever, does that matter, do you want that?” Jordan replies, “I don’t want it, in a sense, because I think it disrespects Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West — you know, all the guys that, prior to me, I never had a chance to play against. What everybody is saying I am, I never had the chance to compete against other legends that was prior to me.

"When I hear it, I cringe a little bit, because it’s a little bit embarrassing, because no one knows. I never had the chance to, once again, to play against those guys,” Jordan continues. “I would love to have played against them, but I never did. And for you to say that I’m better than him, I mean it’s your opinion, it’s their opinion. I accept that as their opinion.

“If you ask me, I would never say that I am the greatest player. That’s because I never played against all the people that represented the league prior to Michael Jordan.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/01/03/lebron-jamess-goat-talk-got-internet-dig-up-michael-jordans-much-humbler-comments/

Did everyone questions his greatness every single day and/or compare him to whoever was considered the goat before Jordan? LeBron has had unreal expectations since coming in the league and has undergone more scrutiny than about any other player of his caliber. 

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

What a fucking dweeb. This is why it's so easy to cheer against your ass. 

Millions of yous said the same about Ali in much harsher terms at the time. How dare LeBron express himself and demand respect when y'all never stfu about his flaws or his place in basketball history when his career is far from over.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, usmc0331horn said:

Did everyone questions his greatness every single day and/or compare him to whoever was considered the goat before Jordan? LeBron has had unreal expectations since coming in the league and has undergone more scrutiny than about any other player of his caliber. 

Yes they did.  But he just went out, fucked up opponents, won MVP's and titles, became an icon and let the common folk sort out silly shit like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Millions of yous said the same about Ali in much harsher terms at the time. How dare LeBron express himself and demand respect when y'all never stfu about his flaws or his place in basketball history when his career is far from over.

Poor Lebron.  Some people have the opinion he's the second best player to ever grace a basketball court.  How disrespectful.  He needs to confront these people on social media and remind them that he's the king and wears the crown.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

How dare LeBron express himself and demand respect when y'all never stfu about his flaws or his place in basketball history when his career is far from over.

Exactly.  This thread is full of posts about how he is NOT the greatest.  He hears it everywhere.  Let's wait and see.  I'll make my decision when his career is over.

7 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Here, have a neg and take that whistle blowing somewhere else. 

But yeah, I was definitely directing racial slurs at Ali 30 years before I was born. Good point. 

1 minute ago, usmc0331horn said:

THey had social media back then? Cmon now.

These debates only happen on social media?  Come on.  

But FWIW, MJ is a part of these questions every single day.  There are people who dog him on social media and question his greatness just to place LBJ above him.  MJ is still alive, on social media and has a shitload more time than LBJ.  Where are his posts lobbying for the "crown?"

7 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I think you underestimate the draw vets will have to come here on whatever deal they can get.  Players don't want to play their whole career without a title.  Coming here will give them a very good shot at it.  I bet they get better players to fill out their roster than this season.

I dunno. Look at Golden State. There was no bigger lock to win a title than joining that crew and who did they get? David West? Zaza Pachulia? Anderson Varejao? Matt Barnes? Swaggy P? Andrew Bogut? All those dudes were washed up when they joined the Warriors those last three years. None of them moved the needle on whether they won a ring.

Like I said, it may not matter because Lebron and Davis are that good, but I think they will be hard pressed to upgrade that roster and I don't have any faith in Rob Pelinka. Winning is the great deodorant, but he has not been without very warranted criticism.  Granted, I haven't looked at the free agent crop but I can't imagine Rondo playing again for $2.5 million. He was their third best player in the playoffs. Either him or KCP, who I think can opt out as well. I don't know that Dwight Howard will have any other suitors so I assume he comes back at the very least to ensure that nobody runs out of Laker hate. Maybe they get Demarcus Cousins back, but he obviously can't stay healthy and how many bigs can you play with anyway? Markieff Morris played a lot of important minutes for them in the playoffs. Is he coming back for $1.75 million again? I can't imagine it. They do get Avery Bradley back but he's not without his own injury history.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Yes they did.  But he just went out, fucked up opponents, won MVP's and titles, became an icon and let the common folk sort out silly shit like that.

Wild that you guys believe this kinda stuff.   He has a whole marketing team dedicated to reinforcing his GOAT status.   The tags on just about every piece of Jordan apparel or shoe says "Quality Basketball Products Inspired by the Greatest Player Ever"    Shit the whole reason the Last Dance was finally released after 25 yrs was cause he knows the shit is close.   He reportedly gave the green light a few days after the Cavs came back from 3-1 to beat the Warriors after YEARS of rebuffing offers to complete/release the footage.

You really think he doesn't care about that?   You think that didn't come from him?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Seems Rob Pelinka deserves a little more credit than he's getting.

Sure, let's give him his credit.

1. Inherited Lebron.

2. Backstabbed Magic Johnson.

3. Bid against himself while overpaying for Anthony Davis. May or may not have been aware of salary cap implications of said trade; depending on how you feel about him dumping Moritz Wagner and a second round pick to make that shit work and costing Davis a $4 million trade kicker.

4. Used newly found cap space to sign Kawhi Leonard Danny Green for $15 million for two years.

5. Tried to set NBA record for most knuckleheads on a single team: Dwight Howard, Demarcus Cousins, Javale McGee, Dion Waiters, Markieff Morris and JR Smith.

6. Won NBA championship*

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

And we're done.

Do you think Pelinka played ANY part in reassuring and then landing LeBron? Honest question.*

*Okay, actually more of a rhetorical question since, from all reports, it sounded like LeBron made up his mind years in advance.

Why is he so insecure about his place in history?  I've never seen anyone else in that stratosphere be worried about whether people consider them the best or not.

EkLo4_VWAAA2o4x?format=jpg&name=large

Bleacher report and sports center on social media have been non stop lebron for the last 36 hrs

Nauseating

I had to stop screen shooting them. I was at 16 through yesterday morning, add about another 8 after the game ended

3 hours ago, d2o said:

Wild that you guys believe this kinda stuff.   He has a whole marketing team dedicated to reinforcing his GOAT status.   The tags on just about every piece of Jordan apparel or shoe says "Quality Basketball Products Inspired by the Greatest Player Ever"    Shit the whole reason the Last Dance was finally released after 25 yrs was cause he knows the shit is close.   He reportedly gave the green light a few days after the Cavs came back from 3-1 to beat the Warriors after YEARS of rebuffing offers to complete/release the footage.

You really think he doesn't care about that?   You think that didn't come from him?

Like I said, no doubt he cares.  But the day after winning a title, he wasn't whining about being treated different, or demanding his damn respect.  At least in public, he took care of business and let the chips fall.  Like I said, he gets ripped on social media, yet doesn't get defensive over and feel the need to claim the crown.

5 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

These debates only happen on social media?  Come on.  

But FWIW, MJ is a part of these questions every single day.  There are people who dog him on social media and question his greatness just to place LBJ above him.  MJ is still alive, on social media and has a shitload more time than LBJ.  Where are his posts lobbying for the "crown?"

You do know his company co-produced that 10-part documercial vanity project, right?

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

2. Backstabbed Magic Johnson.

RP earned his salary right there. The value of getting Magic as far away as possible from anything resembling a basketball decision is immeasurably valuable.

1 minute ago, TommyGufano said:

You do know his company co-produced that 10-part documercial vanity project, right?

RP earned his salary right there. The value of getting Magic as far away as possible from anything resembling a basketball decision is immeasurably valuable.

I think there's a difference between a goat emoji and a post saying "What they gon say now? Keep making up random criteria that no one else has. King me"

• Like 1

Haha it's insane watching people forgive the behavior of one person while criticizing that exact behavior in another. Truly fascinating stuff.

I remember when Jordan was doing his thang there were tons of Jordan haters. It really was prevalent. Now 20 years later and everyone sucks the guy relentlessly and says nobody can ever surpass him. Just unreal.

Then you have Lebron, as a fucking sophomore in high school, playing games on ESPN and ALREADY being compared to the all time greats. Literally an intro featuring Magic, Jordan, Kareem, Kobe, and saying is Lebron the next great? Literally the most hyped player of all time. Nicknamed LeHype by those who were skeptical.

I honestly don't know if anyone has ever lived up to more hype in sports. Maybe Tiger. I'm sure in 20 years there will be some other guy and everyone will say no, Lebron was the best and that's it and that's all. Who knows.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Muhammad Ali was a champion of  human rights and freedom to people all over this earth and, unlike Lebron, Ali would have stood up for the people of Hong Kong.  Muhammad Ali stood up to the US government and lost his title because of it.  He was willing to put his livelihood and career on the line because of his beliefs.  Even those who disagreed with Ali would never question his courage or conviction.  When Lebron could have stood up to China, he backed down because there was money on the line, so he did what was expedient.  Lebron James couldn't carry Muhammad Ali's water.

7 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Jordan absolutely cares deeply about being the GOAT.

Was he bitching and whining about it while playing? Or was he more worried about winning(and gambling)?

Of course he can tweet about it now, but when he was playing he let his game do the talking. He didn't need to be a titty baby about his place in the game.

Jordan is the GOAT. LBJ is the baby GOAT(KID).

36 minutes ago, Harrison Stafford said:

Muhammad Ali was a champion of  human rights and freedom to people all over this earth and, unlike Lebron, Ali would have stood up for the people of Hong Kong.  Muhammad Ali stood up to the US government and lost his title because of it.  He was willing to put his livelihood and career on the line because of his beliefs.  Even those who disagreed with Ali would never question his courage or conviction.  When Lebron could have stood up to China, he backed down because there was money on the line, so he did what was expedient.  Lebron James couldn't carry Muhammad Ali's water.

Yes Lebron has never stood up for things he believes in. Get the fuck outta here with this stupid shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

For me the game has just gotten boring. Once upon a time I wouldn't miss a TNT double header. The Rockets were my first love, then I would watch the Spurs because of how well they played the game after that it was because certain stars were playing. Then I started watching after the all star break when the games mattered more. And now it's just for the playoffs. I don't want to see some spare ass 6'9" PF pulling up a the 3 point line on a fast break as Sacramento and Orlando fight for ping pong balls. 

But this year, the bubble was cool at first, but the fake crowd noise and shitty announcing were just too much for me to overcome. Especially when there are other things to do. I love the listening to the crowd, it's part of the game. But listening to some nerd push the boo button while Jeff and Mark spend 15 minutes talking about food or some shit was just too much. 

And then the fucking replays. Do we really need replay in basketball? It kills the pace of the game. Couple that with the give-up penalties and it just destroys the game. 

IOW, it's not the off court issues that are a problem for the NBA. But I do think they have a entertainment problem.

• Hook 'Em 2

When one guy can lead a team filled with minimum contract journey veterans to the finals 10 times out of the last 14 years, it becomes stale. Also mix in the fact that one conference is top heavy in term individual talent, contenders, and championships. I was fascinated by With the heat run...but Bam, KellyO, Jae and Jimmy were never going to control AD and Lebron enough to win 4 games. I’ve seen enough of Lebron and the Rondos, Greens, KCP’s, Morris’ and Howard’s of the world since 2007 that I can totally see where you’re coming from with that take

It’s kinda like Brady with the Pats. 9 Super Bowls in 20 years. Also 13 AFC championship games in that span. Who knows how many byes they earned. And one year includes Matt Cassell as their starter.

Kawhi leaving an eastern conference team after literally winning a championship to head to Los Angeles and colluding with his buddy Paul to demand a trade there doesn’t help the situation at all.

At least KD went east...but who knows how much spring he lost after his injury

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

For me the game has just gotten boring. Once upon a time I wouldn't miss a TNT double header. The Rockets were my first love, then I would watch the Spurs because of how well they played the game after that it was because certain stars were playing. Then I started watching after the all star break when the games mattered more. And now it's just for the playoffs. I don't want to see some spare ass 6'9" PF pulling up a the 3 point line on a fast break as Sacramento and Orlando fight for ping pong balls. 

But this year, the bubble was cool at first, but the fake crowd noise and shitty announcing were just too much for me to overcome. Especially when there are other things to do. I love the listening to the crowd, it's part of the game. But listening to some nerd push the boo button while Jeff and Mark spend 15 minutes talking about food or some shit was just too much. 

And then the fucking replays. Do we really need replay in basketball? It kills the pace of the game. Couple that with the give-up penalties and it just destroys the game. 

IOW, it's not the off court issues that are a problem for the NBA. But I do think they have a entertainment problem.

Agree with all of this.  There also aren't any compelling rivalries between players or teams and both players and teams have basically acknowledged that the 82 game regular season is completely meaningless.  Casual fans are attracted by personal drama b/w players and teams.  The NBA's audience also skews younger than other leagues and that demographic doesn't watch television. 

The NBA has to be extremely concerned that domestic television and the associated revenues have peaked and the next TV contract (which will apply to a league without LeBron BTW) may look very different.  The NBA successfully avoided any significant COVID health problems but Silver has done an awful job with PR. New contract talks will start in around 30 months and the NBA needs to effectively address its leadership and competition issues well before then.  Replace Silver with a charismatic leader (Barkley . . . I'm sure you are all laughing) and implement some rules changes that make the game more attractive (move back the 3-point line?) and competitive (stop the super team bullshit).  

21 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Agree with all of this.  There also aren't any compelling rivalries between players or teams and both players and teams have basically acknowledged that the 82 game regular season is completely meaningless.  Casual fans are attracted by personal drama b/w players and teams.  The NBA's audience also skews younger than other leagues and that demographic doesn't watch television. 

The NBA has to be extremely concerned that domestic television and the associated revenues have peaked and the next TV contract (which will apply to a league without LeBron BTW) may look very different.  The NBA successfully avoided any significant COVID health problems but Silver has done an awful job with PR. New contract talks will start in around 30 months and the NBA needs to effectively address its leadership and competition issues well before then.  Replace Silver with a charismatic leader (Barkley . . . I'm sure you are all laughing) and implement some rules changes that make the game more attractive (move back the 3-point line?) and competitive (stop the super team bullshit).  

Good grief.   Silver has done absolutely nothing to warrant replacement.

And Barkley???    Are you fucking shitting me?????????????????????????????

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

Coming in hot this morning. You have to realize that is a legitimately terrible take -- replacing Silver with Barkley for PR? That's just trolling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/13/2020 at 10:00 AM, Don Johnson said:

spacer.png

You realize Jordan released a whole entire documentary about himself telling us how great he was? He signed off on it immediately after Lebron won the 2016 title against the 73 win Warriors team after being down 3-1. For one, that Warriors team over took his Bulls team for the best record ever. Then Lebron knocked them off. He knows Lebron is the closest guy to overtake his "Goat" title. KD could have won 5 more titles in a row with GSW but he knows he was never a threat. Lebron was and is. MJ probably cares about his legacy and perception more than anyone out there.

Lebron reads all this bullshit narrative and criteria people have for him but no one else. He has to be the only guy I have seen who gets criticized for winning 4 rings and going to the Finals 10 times. Some of it came on himself when he did the hour long special to tell us he is taking his talents to south beach. But he wins wherever he goes. All this talk of "he needs help". Well no shit. Jordan needed help. He never won shit before Pippen and Phil Jackson came on board and the great role players.

No one ever speaks on it the other way around, though. How many players have hooked up with Lebron's teams and won rings? Wade did not do jack shit after that 2006 title. Injured and they fell off. Bosh never won anything at all. But they claimed it was because of them he won and don't even flip the perspective that Lebron boosted and saved their careers.

Lebron then goes back home to Cleveland and Kyrie is there who had his teams at the very bottom for years. K Love never even sniffed a playoff appearance as the guy. But the narrative is those guys propelled him and not the other way around. Went to 4 straight Finals and really, was never even tested much. He took a team with Delladova as his second best player to push the Warriors to 6. Beats the 73 win team next year. Once KD came aboard, it was a wrap. No one was sniffing that team. Cavs had zero chance. The whole league had zero chance.

Then comes to LA and takes a guy in AD who never won shit as being the guy. Lebron stat wise outperforms him in the Finals. But now the narrative is AD carried him. That shit is lame. I'd get pissed off at it, too after awhile.

Jimmy Butler is being called some hero for taking the Heat to the Finals and taking the Lakers to 6. No one blames him at all. Yet Lebron is trashed for taking the shittiest roster to make a Finals outside of himself as a 22-23yr old player to the Finals. And taking the Warriors to 6 with a depleted roster. There are different rules for him.

Edited by Vic Mackey
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2