Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Missimo PK. 3-0 Texas just before the half 

Some team is going to be pissed if Texas does make the tournament because even though they're a bubble team they have top 25 talent. Angela Kelly sucks but the talent is there. Missimo and Byars can score 3 goals a game on just about anybody on any given night which gives you a chance to win every game. 

Texas leads the nation in penalty kicks and has converted all of them.  That's a cool stat.

Missimo is #1 in assists per game and total assists (19) and #2 in goals per game and total goals and she's #1 in penalty kicks

How is she not National Player of the Year? Pretty much has to be, right?  She's 4 goals behind Eleanor Dale of Nebraska, but her assist numbers should push her over the edge.

Byars is #7 in assists per game and Shimkin is 19th.  Byars is also 5th in goals per game and total goals. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

We were #45 in RPI before today's win. 

Even with a loss to Tech on a neutral field in the next round our RPI probably rises won't it? I say it's 50/50 we make the tournament if we don't beat Tech and a lock to make the tournament if we do beat Tech. 

Sounds about right. I think even if we draw with Tech we could still make the NCAAs even if we don’t advance. A draw is a draw regardless of who gets to advance in the conference tournament. 

Edited by perfectchaos007

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Sounds about right. I think even if we draw with Tech we could still make the NCAAs even if we don’t advance. A draw is a draw regardless of who gets to advance in the conference tournament. 

I think it's 50/50 even with a loss to Tech. We will be low 40s in RPI with a loss. 

The guy who does bracket predictions had us as the 1st team out prior to today's win and he even said it was iffy between Texas and Kentucky for the last spot. A draw will get us in almost certainly. Tech is top 10 in RPI and it's on a neutral field. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Look, Tech is good, but they needed an 89' goal to beat 4-8-7 Cincinnati (RPI #115) yesterday. 

Texas had a draw sealed up in Austin before that last second blunder.  Team should feel comfortable that they can win the rematch. Second Team All Big 12 GK Justus only played 29 minutes due to that injury that took her out of the game in the 30th minute.  Maybe she doesn't give up that 89' goal and we draw against them instead of a 2-1 loss. 

#43 in the RPI.  Win tomorrow and 100% in. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

I think it's 50/50 even with a loss to Tech. We will be low 40s in RPI with a loss. 

The guy who does bracket predictions had us as the 1st team out prior to today's win and he even said it was iffy between Texas and Kentucky for the last spot. A draw will get us in almost certainly. Tech is top 10 in RPI and it's on a neutral field. 

Kentucky dropped to 56 in RPI after losing in their 1st game of the SEC tournament. Don't think they will be seeded above us now. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Still playing the tournamenent at Mike A Meyers. I guess the weather really fucked up the grass in Round Rock

Yep

AUSTIN, Texas – Due to inclement weather in and around the Austin metroplex area continuing to affect field conditions at the Round Rock Multipurpose Complex, the Big 12 Conference has opted to play the two semifinal matches of the 2023 Sprouts Farmers Market Big 12 Soccer Championship at The University of Texas' Mike A. Myers Stadium and Soccer Field on Wednesday, Nov. 1. 

No. 4 Texas (13-4-2, 6-3-1) and No. 1 Texas Tech (15-0-4, 8-0-2) will kick off the day's action at 4:30 p.m., while No. 2 BYU (15-1-3, 7-0-3) and No. 6 UCF (10-6-1, 5-4-1) will play in the night cap with kickoff slated for 7 p.m.

So do we want BYU to win tonight or UCF?

BYU is #2 in RPI so would give us another great opportunity at a quality win. UCF is the weaker opponent which would give us a better opportunity to win the championship. I think I prefer UCF because we are likely in the tournament and can't do enough to get a 1st round home game.  

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, ClubWhatever said:

Maybe Tech didn't want to be there

Texas takes scoreboard to the SEC with the final Big 12 conference meeting 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

So do we want BYU to win tonight or UCF?

BYU is #2 in RPI so would give us another great opportunity at a quality win. UCF is the weaker opponent which would give us a better opportunity to win the championship. I think I prefer UCF because we likely in the tournament and can't do enough to get a 1st round bye. 

The championship. That’s my goal this academic year. Take as many as we can and get the fuck out 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

Texas wins!

Tech was ranked #4. What was our highest ranked win under Kelly before today?

It was

• No. 4 Texas Tech became the highest-ranked opponent beaten by Texas since the Longhorns knocked off then-No. 2 Texas A&M, 3-2, in College Station on Nov. 17, 2007. 
  • The win also marked the first time Texas has beaten a ranked opponent since beating then-No. 17 Kansas, 1-0, in Lawrence, Kansas on Sept. 26, 2019. 

seriously, it took 4 years and a month to beat a ranked opponent?

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

Oh wow that was Tech’s first defeat of the season and first time being shutout all year. Impressive job, Texas. When it mattered to secure your tournament bid 

There's a soccer thread on Red Raider Insider that started when hit the top 25 and went on steroids after they beat Texas in the regular season. Heading into last night, they were talking about national titles. Now it's all "we don't care about the Big 12 tournament anyway" type of rationalizing. Here's hoping Texas never plays Tech again in anything and that Tech W Soccer gets an early and embarrassing exit in the NCAA tournament.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

BYU is up to #1 in RPI. Tough test but a win would put us right on the bubble to host a first round game. 

We lost by 1 on a goal in the 83 minute.  Team has to, like yesterday, believe they can avenge that one-goal loss

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Her contract runs out this year, right?   So, probably depending on results in the tournament, she is either extended or not.  No mess, like CDC likes it.  

I'm pretty sure her contract is up after this season. Clark made the NCAAs her last year, but didn't advance out of regional and her contract was not renewed (I mean, she retired....lol).  Aston was likely going to barely squeak into the tourney (19-11 headed into the Big 12 tournament and likely would have won 20th game against WV and projected as a 10 seed), but COVID cancelled the postseason.  She was also not renewed. 

Edited by Js1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

We lost by 1 on a goal in the 83 minute.  Team has to, like yesterday, believe they can avenge that one-goal loss

Yeah, the Tech and BYU results are the difference between us being 34 in RPI and probably top 20 in RPI. 

Just imagine if we picked up draws in those 2 matches instead of conceding late goals? 84th and 89th minute goals. But it also shows you why nobody probably wants to play this Texas team in the tournament. They're much closer to being a top 20 RPI team than people realize. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kelly isn't returning unless she wins a few games in the NCAA tournament. If winning Big 12 championships mattered, they would have extended her last year after winning her 2nd in a row. 

1 regular season title, no Big 12 tournament titles yet. Lost in 2021, TBD in 2023.  2021, we finished 1 point behind TCU despite not picking up a conference loss. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

I'm pretty sure her contract is up after this season. Clark made the NCAAs her last year, but didn't advance out of regional and her contract was not renewed (I mean, she retired....lol).  Aston was likely going to barely squeak into the tourney (19-11 headed into the Big 12 tournament and likely would have won 20th game against WV and projected as a 10 seed), but COVID cancelled the postseason.  She was also not renewed. 

She's had plenty of time. Time to win a few games in the NCAA tournament. 

A little bit of bad luck this year with the Emily Cox injury. This team would be a lot better with her. Imagine this team with an All-American caliber defender. But that's no excuse when you've had this much time to produce results when it matters. 

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Kelly not having this team in the top 10 is all you really need to know. 

Byars and Missimo are probably the best-attacking duo in college soccer. Any coach that was decent could have this team in a better position. 

Can’t recall if I made this comparison before, but Texas soccer the last few years have been like the LA Angels. Both clubs have 2 of the best players in the sport and yet as a team they can’t put it together. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Can’t recall if I made this comparison before, but Texas soccer the last few years have been like the LA Angels. Both clubs have 2 of the best players in the sport and yet as a team they can’t put it together. 

Fair comparison, except those 2 keep getting hurt. Byars was out briefly this year but we’ve had Missimo and Byars both relatively healthy. 

its 100% coaching. Eric Bell would have this team a top seed