Texas Women's Soccer

Js1

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

TCU is dominating Oklahoma State.

So the conference race will come down to Texas and TCU. 

It did last year too. TCU had 22 points and Texas had 21. Next highest team was 15. They met in the tournament finals with TCU winning 2-1

Texas having a week off between games is helpful because we still have a 2 game road swing after we left Morgantown on Thursday (Thursday in Ames and Sunday in Stillwater), then turnaround and play OU at home the next Thursday 

TCU and Texas are both off today 

AAD4B104-6558-423B-9609-12B3C7E4CBDD.thumb.jpeg.d93c11a3aeb35deb0546dce3f823160e.jpeg

I am a soccer fan, but do not follow the college game. One of my best friends though, who knows zero about soccer, watched his daughter, Ashleigh Williams, beat KU today by scoring both their goals. She has her dad’s competitive fire. He played football for Kansas Wesleyan back in the late 90’s. I know he’s proud to see her do her thing out there even if he doesn’t fully understand the nuances of the sport.

18 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Up to 27 in RPI.

I know nothing about hosting but with a strong finish you would have to think Texas is in the mix to host a game or 2 in the NCAA tournament? 

Likely 1 game - 32 single-elimination games at non-predetermined campus sites.  Texas, being #22/23, would slot within the top 32 teams who get to host a first round game.   

Our highest game left is #37 Oklahoma State.  Otherwise is #94 OU (home) and #216 Iowa State (road).  That game in Stillwater will be a nice RPI bump if we get a W. 

TCU is still on our heels and have #94 OU (road), #185 Baylor (road) and #61 Texas Tech (home) left. 

Again, we are still projected to finish high-20s (22/23) and are still outside looking in on a top 4 seed.

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

OU just beat TCU. 

Wow, what a weird night in the Big 12. Two bottom tier teams get results against the two top tier teams. I guess playing on the road is difficult. Texas still controls their own destiny to a Big 12 championship. 

TCU getting no points and Texas getting 1 helps. We need a result against OSU

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

TCU getting no points and Texas getting 1 helps. We need a result against OSU

So if my math is correct.....

*A tie and win in the final 2 games is an outright Big 12 championship. 

*A loss and win in the final 2 games is a co-championship with TCU. That's assuming TCU doesn't draw or lose another game. 

We need TCU to pick up another tie or loss @ Baylor or vs Texas Tech. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Kelly is 2 matches left from having 2 consecutive unbeaten conference seasons and nothing to show for it yet 

Nightmare scenario is If we draw our final 2 matches and Tech wins their final match. That would make 2 undefeated seasons in a row with no conference title. I would be shocked if that has ever happened before 

3 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Nightmare scenario is If we draw our final 2 matches and Tech wins their final match. That would make 2 undefeated seasons in a row with no conference title. I would be shocked if that has ever happened before 

A lot of things would have to go wrong for that to happen but I guess never say never. 

TCU losing to Texas Tech at home would be a big upset. Also, Texas ending in a draw with OU at home would be a bit of an upset. 

The best possible result is a draw between TCU and Texas Tech. 

1 draw in the final 2 games would guarantee at least a co-Big 12 championship and 1 win in the final 2 games would guarantee an outright Big 12 championship. 2 draws in the final 2 games would also guarantee an outright Big 12 championship. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Texas needs a tie or win over OU to win the conference outright. (21 will win the conference if Tech/TCU don’t tie, 20 if they do)

TCU/Tech are 3 points behind us. They play on Thursday against each other so if either wins, they can still be co-champs if Texas loses. We literally need 1 point to win it outright 

Texas would have the H2H over Tech in the event of a tie for the #1 seed in the Big 12 tournament. Not sure what the tiebreaker is for us/TCU since we tied in the regular season matchup.  goal differential I think? 

Edited by Js1

Del Conte has an interesting decision to make. Can he really fire a coach that won the first conference championship, in soccer, in over 20 years? 

It's amazing that Texas is good in every sport except football. The only two sports that struggled last year were soccer and football. Now soccer is even a top 25 team and won a conference championship. 

Yeah, only started following recently as my oldest girl got interested in soccer.  This team might still shit the bed early in the tourney, but hardware means a lot to me as an old school college athletics fan.  Regular season championship is not nuthin'.  Congrats to the Longhorn Women!  Really hoping we can take in some high-stakes match(es) next month!  Gotta give Coach Kelly some credit as of late.  

Amazing that "a football school" is championship-level caliber at every single fucking thing except "football."  

• Like 1

She has one year left on her contract after this year.  He could just let it expire based on the next year result.  But at this point she has recruited well enough that I would bet she gets extended at the end of this year.  That does not meet his criterion of top 10 program, but to do that we would have to pry a coach away from an established top 10 program.  Which would cost a bundle for a money losing sport.  

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

She has one year left on her contract after this year.  He could just let it expire based on the next year result.  But at this point she has recruited well enough that I would bet she gets extended at the end of this year.  That does not meet his criterion of top 10 program, but to do that we would have to pry a coach away from an established top 10 program.  Which would cost a bundle for a money losing sport.  

I thought this was her final year on the contract? 

7 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Gotta give Coach Kelly some credit as of late.  

As  a soccer novice, it looks to me like she's a bad coach but has recently recruited well enough to make up for all that. 

All those sophomores (Shimkin, Missimo, and Byars) look like they could start for anybody in the country. 

• With the victory, Texas clinched at least a share of the program's second Big 12 Conference regular-season title and its first since 2001.
  • Texas stretched its unbeaten streak to a school record 15 consecutive matches dating back to Aug. 28 against Florida.
  • The Longhorns also extended their Big 12 Conference regular-season unbeaten streak to 17 matches dating back to Nov. 6, 2020, at Texas Tech. Texas now hasn't lost a regular season league contest in 716 days.
  • The 2-1 triumph also marked Texas' first win at Oklahoma State since Oct. 20, 2002, and pulled the Horns within 12-13-7 in the all-time series against the Cowgirls.
  • Sophomore forward Trinity Byars' goal marked her Big 12 leading 14th of the season (sixth match winner), while sophomore midfielder Jilly Shimkin's score was her sixth (good for second on the team).
  • Sophomore midfielder Lexi Missimoregistered her 10th assist of 2022 to take over the Big 12 lead.

Texas at 12-1-4 is #24 in RPI for this week and plays #96 OU, looking to clinch the regular season title for itself and the #1 overall seed in the Big 12 tournament.  I think we would likely be the #1 seed regardless of outcomes -

• Draw gets us 21 points and neither Tech nor TCU can go higher than 20 points
  • If we lose and TCU wins, we are tied at 20 and I believe the tiebreaker is based on scoring differential (before the final match, Texas is +11 (15-4), TCU is +9 (13-4))
  • If we lose and Tech wins, we are tied at 20 but we have the H2H 

TCU is #20 and faces #63 Texas Tech this week.  

TCU is on the edge of being a top 16 seed, Texas seems on the outside looking in, though will have its chances in the Big 12 tournament to notch some more results, especially if they win the conference tournament, which would likely mean a W against TCU. 

Texas, 6-0-2, had the edge for the #1 overall seed, only needing a tie to clinch the #1 seed.
TCU/Tech are going to be the 2 or 3 seed if Texas clinches #1, with the winner being #2 and the loser being #3.  A tie would get more interesting and probably be in TCU's favor (they drew against Texas, while Tech lost)
WV is a game up in the loss column on OSU for the #4 seed
OU is 2 games back on OSU in the loss column, so likely the #6 seed
KSU and Baylor should round out the tournament, with KU (1-5-2) and ISU (0-6-2) on the outside looking in

Current bracket would be:

1 Texas vs 8 Baylor
4 WV vs 5 OSU

2 TCU vs 7 KSU
3 Tech vs 6 OU

• Hook 'Em 1

Byars got her 15th goal of the season, which leads the conference (7 in conference play, which also leads). So I wouldn’t be surprised to see her as Big 12 POY. Leads the Big 12 in goals, points, assists and game winning goals. 

We also appear, so far, to have the highest winning % of our program history. Depending on how postseason shapes up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe it’s a hot take but I think Madden should be the Big 12 POY. Texas only gave up 5 goals in 9 Big 12 games and I believe 3 of those were penalties. 

Not going to lose many games when teams are scoring under a goal a game.

She would be a good choice if it’s not Byars.   Looked in complete control last night.  Solid all year.  

23 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe it’s a hot take but I think Madden should be the Big 12 POY. Texas only gave up 5 goals in 9 Big 12 games and I believe 3 of those were penalties. 

Not going to lose many games when teams are scoring under a goal a game.

She didn’t lead the conference in goals against average and was second in shutouts, first in saves and fourth in saves per game  

Byars should be Offensive POY. Kelett will probably win Goalkeeper of the Year again. Kelly should be Coach of the Year - won the regular season. We were picked second but we did win it and go unbeaten 

Byars probably would have scored several more goals if Missimo wasn't out injured for a lot of Big 12 play. As a soccer novice, it looks like Missimo is the best player on the field in every game I watch. 

You can really tell that Missimo and Byars have been playing together for a long time. That first goal last night was a perfect example. 

19 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Texas sports had me concerned for a moment before I started watching

image.png.2252bfac8ee61deaa85f694138b4adbf.png

😂

Ward, Cox, Missimo PK and Byars’ 16th of the year 

4-0

Edited by Js1