Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP 🤘​​​​​​​

TexEx15

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Well, Ced destroyed Mike Williams on a fucking int return and missed the rest of the game with a neck stinger or something I think that night. I’ve got it on VHS somewhere.

I think he hurt his knee on one of the first series in that Rose Bowl. I don’t think he missed the rest of the game. I remember him being out there but ineffective.
I remember reading or watching Mack talk about Cedric after that game.

RIP #32.

I think Ced’s stinger in that BigXiiCG really hurt his sophomore production. He was a different back after that injury. Still great, but I believe he could have been even better had that injury not occurred.

one of my favorite Horns, ever.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Pretty sure I remember benson making an important play right before Mangum’s field goal.

The kick doesn’t clear the crossbar if Ced doesn’t fight through contact in the backfield. I can make myself tear up on cue by telling the story if Ced’s final game and final carry as a longhorn. RIP

• Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, we have had some running backs at Texas.  I know USC gets the "Running Back U" publicity, and theirs have been awesome, but . . . Earl, Ricky, Cedric, D'Onta, Bijan, Jamaal, Chris G, Roosevelt . . . holy shit.

Don’t forget Eric and the oft-injured Priest. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He did hurt his knee early in the Michigan Rose Bowl, but he kept playing and had 20+ carries.  He wasn’t as effective as usual that game, but he was tough.  I think he had injuries his sophomore year, too (plus recovering from the neck injury at the end of his freshman year) but still had 300+ carries that season.

He was a uniquely tough runner.  I remember all the stats they would show at Texas and how he’d get like 60% of his yards after first contact.  He had one of the highest career carry totals in NCAA history, and pretty much all of those carries were violent.

That was what struck me the most while watching him his freshamn year on the 40 - the way he finished runs. I've never seen anyone finish runs the way he did, before or since, at any level. 

And re: the collision with Mike Williams, I have always thought he was never quite the same after that. 

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, we have had some running backs at Texas.  I know USC gets the "Running Back U" publicity,

probably not for literal decades.  prior to bush and lendale white was...ricky ervins?

in 21st century, texas has as much right to that title as alabama

4 hours ago, 52-80 said:

probably not for literal decades.  prior to bush and lendale white was...ricky ervins?

I was thinking all time.  Mike Garrett, OJ, Marcus Allen, Charles White, Sam Cunningham, Frank Gifford, Ricky Bell, Anthony Davis, plus Bush and Landwhale.  Pretty stout list.