Cedric Benson has passed away - RIP πŸ€˜β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

TexEx15

Just now, Wally Pryor said:

We need a camera angle looking up at the topΒ of the hill where you're leaving MRB to turn onto 2222.

Add more to your death trap thought....

That's what I was imagining when I looked at the posted image. What a freaking nightmare.

I will also add that a single motorcycle headlight often appears as background lighting (streetlights, etc.), making it even more important for drivers to pause. This also makes it vitalΒ for riders to stay sober and obey speed limits so they can react to other’s mistakes.Β This is a terrible tragedy and and I feel deep sadness for everyone involved. RIP, CB.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:
We need a camera angle looking up at the topΒ of the hill where you're leaving MRB to turn onto 2222.
Add more to your death trap thought....

Β 

Β 

Here you go.Β  At best CB had 200 yards to react.Β 

e9ccad3547b3589dbd2c5c4b90cbbacd.jpg

Β 

Β 

Edited by Hate

Mt Bonnell Rd south was realigned sometime in the past, at least the '90's maybe earlier. I am going to assume Mt Bonnell tourist traffic and wrecksΒ because of theΒ poor sight distance made that necessary. You can still see the old road heading to the south from where the accident happened. Sucks that north Mt Bonnell Rd stayed at the bottom of that hill.

Man, this is sad for all parties involved. However, can you imagine what the driver of that minivan is feeling right now. First of all having seen that live and in person had to be horrifying. Secondly, then you later learn who it was that was killed. Not that a life should be more valuable than another one, but the coverage is........

Β Β  Anyway, I feel for them. Seeing death is hard enough. Having a hand in it has to be tough for them.

• Like 2

RIP Cedric! You will be missed!

RIP to his passenger, recent UT graduate Aamna Najam. T&P to family and friends of both. This just sucks. My heart aches for them both.Β 

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/woman-riding-with-cedric-benson-during-deadly-austin-motorcycle-crash-was-recent-ut-graduate/269-9a797b5b-3108-4f3c-9824-b4b4a69077be

Let's clear some of this up.Β  To the best of my knowledge:

1.Β  Cedric was driving west in the left lane of westbound 2222, heading away from central Austin towards 360 and his house just beyond

2.Β  he had just passed Mesa Drive, which is a stoplight and is thus a reasonably safe entrance/exit to 2222

3.Β  Mount Bonnell Road does not cross 2222 in a continuous manner -- the leg heading north from 2222 is farther east (closer to central Austin) than the leg headed south

4.Β  as one approaches the north leg of Mount Bonnell Road heading west, there is a significant rise on 2222.Β  At the top, there is a flashing yellow light which warns of what's over the hill.

5.Β  as one crests that rise, it's probably just a couple of hundred yards to the intersection with the north leg of Mount Bonnell Road.Β  The only traffic control at that intersection is a stop sign for those headed south on MBR, and at that intersection, all they can do is turn left or right onto 2222.

6.Β  the minivan involved in the accident was turning left (east, towards central Austin).Β  The driver probably didn't see Cedric before pulling out because the distance to the crest of the hill is so minimal.Β  As others have said, a single motorcycle headlight is confusing at best, even if she saw it.Β  Any excess speed on Cedric's part would just make matters worse.

7.Β  the southbound leg of Mount Bonnell Road, at which there is a stoplight, has jack shit to do with this accident.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Bartles said:

^ That's how I read it at this point. On #6 above, the van could have even been turning right onto 2222, same direction as Ced, and still wouldn't have been enough time for him to stop from a high speed.

True, but at least then she'd have been trying to turn right into the right lane of westbound 2222, as opposed to crossing both the right and left lanes to turn left (east).Β  He would have had a good chance of missing her.Β  (Theoretically he shouldn't have had much chance of hitting her at all since he was allegedly in the left lane of westbound 2222.)

Edited by jimmyjazz

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

RIP to his passenger, recent UT graduate Aamna Najam. T&P to family and friends of both. This just sucks. My heart aches for them both.Β 

Two people lost their lives and thoughts go out to their loved ones.Β 

The lady driving the van isn't getting off easy.Β  Β It doesn't sound like she did anything wrongΒ but will still have to live with the accident for the rest of her life.Β 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

True, but at least then she'd have been trying to turn right into the right lane of westbound 2222, as opposed to crossing both the right and left lanes to turn left (east).Β  He would have had a good chance of missing her.Β  (Theoretically he shouldn't have had much chance of hitting her at all since he was allegedly in the left lane of westbound 2222.)

It's Austin. What are the chances of aΒ driver turning right into the left lane? Pretty high, likely.

Anybody else see CFB live tonight? Not sure if it re airs later but they aired the LHN piece narrated by Galindo and then had Manny Acho and Dusty Dvoracek give their thoughts. Some very nice words from Dusty (they were teammates in Chicago) as well as from Manny.

Β 

Damn this is still a tough one to accept.

Β 

Edit: looks like it re-airs on ESPNU at 8. The Ced piece was about 30 minutes in

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The thing is, if Cedric was doing what I suspect he was (and what I've seen a jillion bikes on 2222 doing) -- hauling ass well above the speed limit -- it really doesn't matter.Β  That's why the speed limits on limited-visibility roads (with hills, curves, etc.) really matter.

The van driver looks, sees no vehicle.Β  She pulls out.Β  As she's doing so, the bike tops the hill, going (e.g.) 75 instead of 45.Β  Instead of the van having 3 seconds to clear the intersection before a previously-unseen 45 mph vehicle gets there, it has 1.6 seconds.Β  The speed to reaction time translation is really, really important.Β  It's the biggest reason that posted speeds are what they are in these areas.

I live in the neighborhood -- there are plenty of hills and semi-blind corners.Β  On more than one occasion, I have looked, seen no vehicle, pulled onto the road, only to see a vehicle traveling WAY too fast coming towards me.Β  Thus far, I've been able to punch it, and/or the other vehicle has been able to slow down, so as to avoid a wreck.Β  But wrecks like this happen, and if the bike is traveling too fast, it's likely the bike's fault.Β  I hate to think that Ced got himself and that gal killed, but based on my experiences on these roadways, as well as the report already noting that witnesses observed the bike traveling quite fast, tell me that's likely the case.

Unfortunately, we could lock the thread here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LonghornSean said:

Anybody else see CFB live tonight? Not sure if it re airs later but they aired the LHN piece narrated by Galindo and then had Manny Acho and Dusty Dvoracek give their thoughts. Some very nice words from Dusty (they were teammates in Chicago) as well as from Manny.

Edit: looks like it re-airs on ESPNU at 8. The Ced piece was about 30 minutes in

3pm tomorrow ESPN2 is next airing i can find but don't know if that is new or a repeat of above

16 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

No sir, I haven't for about 4 decades. I believe the biggest danger back then was dodging the cows.

Don't start now.

16 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/article/news/local/woman-riding-with-cedric-benson-during-deadly-austin-motorcycle-crash-was-recent-ut-graduate/269-9a797b5b-3108-4f3c-9824-b4b4a69077be

Β 

14 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Let's clear some of this up.Β  To the best of my knowledge:

1.Β  Cedric was driving west in the left lane of westbound 2222, heading away from central Austin towards 360 and his house just beyond

2.Β  he had just passed Mesa Drive, which is a stoplight and is thus a reasonably safe entrance/exit to 2222

3.Β  Mount Bonnell Road does not cross 2222 in a continuous manner -- the leg heading north from 2222 is farther east (closer to central Austin) than the leg headed south

4.Β  as one approaches the north leg of Mount Bonnell Road heading west, there is a significant rise on 2222.Β  At the top, there is a flashing yellow light which warns of what's over the hill.

5.Β  as one crests that rise, it's probably just a couple of hundred yards to the intersection with the north leg of Mount Bonnell Road.Β  The only traffic control at that intersection is a stop sign for those headed south on MBR, and at that intersection, all they can do is turn left or right onto 2222.

6.Β  the minivan involved in the accident was turning left (east, towards central Austin).Β  The driver probably didn't see Cedric before pulling out because the distance to the crest of the hill is so minimal.Β  As others have said, a single motorcycle headlight is confusing at best, even if she saw it.Β  Any excess speed on Cedric's part would just make matters worse.

7.Β  the southbound leg of Mount Bonnell Road, at which there is a stoplight, has jack shit to do with this accident.

Β 

This article above confirms "high rate of speed".

Edited by n64ra
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Tell me about it.Β  Not only cars pulling out but I nailed a deer almost exactly in that spot several years ago.Β  Hit it going 55.Β  Car totaled.Β  Came over the hill and it was just standing there.Β  Couldnt imagine what would've happened on a bike.

I'm amazed that the driver of the minivan wasn't seriously hurt.Β  The impact had to be on the driver's side of the vehicle -- even if it wasΒ "just" a motorcycle with 2 passengers, that's a lot of impact.

13 hours ago, thestud said:

Β 

Β 

You need to get out more. Or maybe you’ve got it all figured out and we all need to get out less?
I did cpr on a man in the median after bystanders pulled him from his car when he had a heart attack at the red light. My
Ambulance was held up getting to the scene by people driving by with their cellphones out the window. I’m not shitting you lights sirens and air horn and this fuck still wouldn’t move so he could get the footage. People fucking suck man. No two ways about it.

Β 

Β 

Having driven fire trucks for 25 years, I can vouch for this. It's absolutely unreal how hard it is to get some people to move over, and how few people even know what they should do even when they have good intentions.

18 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm amazed that the driver of the minivan wasn't seriously hurt.Β  The impact had to be on the driver's side of the vehicle -- even if it wasΒ "just" a motorcycle with 2 passengers, that's a lot of impact.

Do we have any indication of how fast Ced was traveling?

Β 

ETA: Never mind. My bad. I see it now. High speed.Β  Dang. What I figured...

Edited by wood

41 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Tell me about it.Β  Not only cars pulling out but I nailed a deer almost exactly in that spot several years ago.Β  Hit it going 55.Β  Car totaled.Β  Came over the hill and it was just standing there.Β  Couldnt imagine what would've happened on a bike.

I hit a deer on 2222 back in the late 90's. That thingΒ jumped off of a 10'+ rock face right into my lane.Β Fuck 2222.

CB was an all time great and one of my favorite players I witnessed in person. This is a tragic and terrible end to twoΒ youngΒ lives. I feel for their families and for all those affected.Β 

On 8/18/2019 at 3:48 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

I feel like I remember his last ever carry for Texas being pretty important considering how close Mangum’s field goal ended up being.

I get choked up every time I think about Cedric's last carry as a Horn. We needed to get to the left hash and couldn't lose yardage. He got hit in the backfield and dragged the entire Michigan defense five yards forward. It was just enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I get choked up every time I think about Cedric's last carry as a Horn. We needed to get to the left hash and couldn't lose yardage. He got hit in the backfield and dragged the entire Michigan defense five yards forward. It was just enough.

Was a great carry.Β  He tweaked his knee earlier in the game and was not 100%.

5 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Somewhere I saw a still photo of Ced's bike basically doing a handstand (front wheel on the ground, back end of bike pointing toward the sky).Β  It was roughly at the driver side front wheel.Β  Not sure if that pic wasn't fake though FWIW.Β  EDIT:Β  just get on Google images, type in "cedric bensons motorcycle white van" and you'll see it.Β  I'm old and don't have time to figure out how to embed a pic in Surly.

Edited by Monty86
pic info

Yeah jimmyjazz but what strikes me is, if the bike was going at an excessive speed (and I've seen written it made impact with the van at excessive speed) how is it possible the bike is up against the van post-impact?Β  I hit a large commercial vehicle earlier this year that illegally turned in front of me (so basically it was going zero like the van) I know I was going under 60 mph but not by much.Β  I was in a 3500 lb auto, and I bounced off the commercial vehicle and basically did a 180 ending up about 15 to 20 feet away.Β  I don't believe I moved that ~26K lb vehicle that far away from me.

1 hour ago, Monty86 said:

Somewhere I saw a still photo of Ced's bike basically doing a handstand (front wheel on the ground, back end of bike pointing toward the sky).Β  It was roughly at the driver side front wheel.Β  Not sure if that pic wasn't fake though FWIW.Β  EDIT:Β  just get on Google images, type in "cedric bensons motorcycle white van" and you'll see it.Β  I'm old and don't have time to figure out how to embed a pic in Surly.

do not put this photo in the thread.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Monty86 said:

Yeah jimmyjazz but what strikes me is, if the bike was going at an excessive speed (and I've seen written it made impact with the van at excessive speed) how is it possible the bike is up against the van post-impact?Β  I hit a large commercial vehicle earlier this year that illegally turned in front of me (so basically it was going zero like the van) I know I was going under 60 mph but not by much.Β  I was in a 3500 lb auto, and I bounced off the commercial vehicle and basically did a 180 ending up about 15 to 20 feet away.Β  I don't believe I moved that ~26K lb vehicle that far away from me.

It's often very difficult to make sense of crash scenes in the aftermath, not knowing just how they played out.

• Like 2

Best memory of Ced B was 2004 driving through West Campus looking for a spot to park. Him and Will Matthews get out of Ceds red M3 convertible, Β  β€œ I yell out the window you’ll get towed” as he was parked in a no park zone. He looks back at us 4 young white dudes and thenΒ at the M3 and says β€œCeddie B is always good” proceeds to park there. 15 years later our group still talks about the moment.

Edited by LebongJames
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Just now, mulletpelini said:

Is it possible an attempt to drop the bike was made and it ended up underneath?

Maybe so. Intentionally or not, my first thought was that it looked like the bike was maybe on its side when it hit the van. Coming across the top of a hill, the faster you go, the less grip you'll have. If he made a panic attempt to stop, turn to avoid the van, or both, it would likely be hard not to lay it down. But really, who knows. I just hope maybe some good can come from this as othersΒ  hopefully learn from it.