The Night Vision Fanatics Thread

cabowabo

I’ve seen the stimulus and the hogster from Bering Optics. Both are really solid.

My BiL has the hogster and it does the job.

Most spots we hog hunt have long paths but in directions you can’t actually shoot. The shooting angles are all under 100yards for hogs so even the stimulus version is great for our needs.

• 3 months later...

Hogs in imminent peril.  This showed up on my desk through my business partner’s brother that had a guy owing him mine but no cash.   My business partner’s brother realized he doesn’t have any use for it so here it is. 

660C5139-B7CA-4B23-9643-434A4EAB085C.jpeg

2F844830-33E1-4A4C-8B7F-E33872E5ACC2.jpeg

CB97B137-4B97-459F-BB1A-E77699E38B16.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Conducted my first night operation since March and shot these 3 coyotes in the span of 20 minutes.  2 walked out on their own, and the 3rd came to the coyote call.  The first one wandered off.  Poor bastard.  Used a Tavor 7 with Super Hogster thermal and YHM Resonator R2 can.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Took this boar down over Thanksgiving. We spotted it with a thermal drone and then walked out and killed it.

In the initial moments of the video, I was attempting to wait for my brother to be ready, but the pig took off.

Missed the first shot on its u-turn, but connected on the following 4 shots:

43c78d975d0cc594c8e3760086607d44.jpg
dd632fef276c706de64a4d6139d72e1f.jpg

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see what new hd scopes come out over the next few years.

Iray and Pulsar both have HD scopes at 1280 and 1024, and obvious leap from the current top of the line 640’s.

640 prices should start coming down too, which will be nice.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jofus said:

Pulsar’s is not 1280, but 1024. Still a big jump, and pricing is more in line with other higher end scopes ($8800):

https://pulsarnv.com/products/thermion-2-lrf-xl50

Iray had their $18k scope reduced to $12k for Black Friday, but still too far outside of an acceptable cost/benefit.

Given that I paid $7k plus for the 640 X 480 Not 35, $8800 is not much of a cost leap.

I had no idea that the IRay was discounted that much for a one day sale.  Glad I didn't buy the thing for $18K a month or so prior.  I'd be cutting my wrists about right now.

And that Pulsar, while providing a very nice image, is waaaaaaay too f'n big and clunky for my taste.  That thing is probably over 3X the size of my Nox.

Edited by Cajun
Those Late Night Vision guys are the best. Their review on that Nox is what had me writing a check a week later.

@jofusQuetion about your thermal drone - 

How high do you have to fly that so as not to spook critters with its prop noise?  

Living up here at Canyon Lake there's a lot of deer and other wildlife around and they all spook off like lightning bolts when I fire up my Mavic Air2S even when they are a good distance away.   They really seem to not dig on the drone vibes.

[mention=1236]jofus[/mention]Quetion about your thermal drone - 
How high do you have to fly that so as not to spook critters with its prop noise?  
Living up here at Canyon Lake there's a lot of deer and other wildlife around and they all spook off like lightning bolts when I fire up my Mavic Air2S even when they are a good distance away.   They really seem to not dig on the drone vibes.

Coyotes hate it and cows hate it. At night, deer are ok and hogs seem to be ok. The Autel is a lot louder than my mavic 2 and air 3 pro.

It’s a 640, so you can identify animals pretty well from distance. I want to say I fly at around 150ft, partly to stay well above our pine trees. For hogs, I’ll drop from there just low enough to ID, and then land asap and take my rifle to the location.

I would 100% get a dji next time. The Autel just isn’t reliable enough at range, and I’m worried I’ll lose it at some point.
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
I've heard a lot of good things about the DJI Enterprise platform.  That's another purchase I've had to talk myself out of on numerous occasions.

We picked up a mini 3 pro at work. It’s the second DJI product I’ve used there now. I really like their stuff.

Arrived today and if you can believe it, they threw in a free ball point pen!!!

But more serious, the image is well beyond my Nox 35mm.  It's not just a bit better, it's apples and oranges better.  Once I catch up to the learning curve I'll post up a few videos and pics.

You know, for science... 

7F24BA1C-4072-416D-A64E-01F8B2D1524B.jpeg

20 hours ago, markstanco said:

GREAT picture!!  How does it look out to say 500 yards (if you've had the chance)?

I'm at the ranch now, so I'll get that chance later on this evening.  Will post up some video.  Has a detection range of 2500 yards, so I expect good stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

Until then here's another video I just downloaded off the optic of some different critters in the front yard at Canyon Lake.  In this one I figured out how to toggle between white hot and the black hot images.  There are about 5 other color variations that I'll post up later.  Sorry for all the shakiness, I'm playing with all the buttons trying to learn what's what so it's all herky jerky and shit...

Edited by Cajun
And, as I'm sure most of y'all know, what you're seeing in these videos is below the quality image you see live in the optic.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Thats really cool, you should have some great video going forward.

Also, I never noticed how 'cold' antlers are at the base of the skull.  You would think on black hot the black would slowly fade but it is WHITE. 

Good observation.  I hadn't really noticed until you pointed it out.