2020 Texas Volleyball (Hopefully)

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

It was much more than that. She may have deleted it but after Sun left she wrote a long blog where she bashed Texas. It angered a lot of Texas players. 

I kinda remember a blog post - I could be getting it confused with the others around the same time - but I didn’t think it was too terrible, and I don’t remember her really ever bashing UT too hard (maybe a few slight digs about not feeling supported or something) 

I think the only thing that people were annoyed about at the time was that her transferring was originally blamed on being homesick, but then she transferred even further away from home to Nebraska. IMO, it seems like her dad wasn’t happy that she wasn’t getting consistent 6-rotation playing time, and Nebraska promised her she would play all the way around + they just won a National Championship and were set up to contend for another.

I did find this article in old threads that’s since been deleted from hookem.com: 

Lexi Sun, now a sophomore at Nebraska, caught bits and pieces of Texas’ four-set win against then-No. 18 Oregon last Friday at the VERT Challenge in Lincoln, Neb. It was the Longhorns’ first match since Sun transferred away from the program, becoming the first starter in coach Jerritt Elliott’s 18 seasons to leave Texas before graduation.

Sun made it clear she was happy that her old team won.

“We ended on good terms,” Sun said. “I’m still good friends with a lot of the girls.”

Sun, sporting a red “N” T-shirt, was a little less clear on why she decided to leave Austin after her freshman season. Playing time certainly wasn’t the reason; in 2017, Sun — an all-Big 12 first-teamer — played in 103 of Texas’ 106 sets. She was second on the team in kills-per-set (3.27), and was good enough on the service line and the back row to play all six spots on the court.

The decision to transfer, she said, came after the season.

“I talked with a lot of my mentors, and I knew (transferring) was the best thing for me,” Sun said. “There’s nothing wrong with the Texas program. They’re a great program and will continue to be.”

Sun didn’t visit Nebraska, which won the 2017 national championship, on a recruiting visit coming out of high school, but did talk then to Huskers coach John Cook. On her second bite of the apple, she visited USC and Wisconsin before deciding that Nebraska was “where I could grow the most.”

Elliott was at ease talking about Sun after Saturday’s win against then-No. 7 Florida.

“Sometimes it doesn’t work,” he said with a shoulder shrug.

He confirmed that there is no animus between he and Sun.

“She sent me a very nice card (after transferring) and I texted her back,” Elliott said. “Lexi’s a very talented player, and she can be great. We’ve obviously been able to, luckily, find some recruits to replace her. We wish her good luck.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

I think the only thing that people were annoyed about at the time was that her transferring was originally blamed on being homesick, but then she transferred even further away from home to Nebraska. IMO, it seems like her dad wasn’t happy that she wasn’t getting consistent 6-rotation playing time, and Nebraska promised her she would play all the way around + they just won a National Championship and were set up to contend for another.

I think it's well-known her dad is a helicopter parent. It's been mentioned here and on volleytalk. 

From what I remember, the lack of development in 6 rotation was one of the criticisms in that blog. Which now makes me think it might have been her dad more than anything. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

I think it's well-known her dad is a helicopter parent. It's been mentioned here and on volleytalk. 

From what I remember, the lack of development in 6 rotation was one of the criticisms in that blog. Which now makes me think it might have been her dad more than anything. 

Transferring after 1 year because you aren't happy with "development" was and still is the biggest load of horse shit.  That just meant, to me, that Daddy Sun was unhappy his daughter was doing things outside of volleyball.   Daddy Sun either didn't want to wait for Lexi to get better over time (gee, like most college athletes do if they stay in the same system) or was unhappy that Texas didn't want his solicitation in how to make his daughter better. 

We've had some players come in who developed into 6 rotation players and some who came in as good 6 rotation players and developed into better ones as their career progressed (Logan).  

I do ultimately wonder if Lexi hadn't left, would JE had shifted more of his coaching into ball coach and recruiting elite libero and DS? Kind of felt like it led to where we are now.   We ran into some bad draws after that (losing in the Regional Final to Tree in Palo Alto in 2017, losing to BYU in Provo in 2018) and the disaster of 2019 vs. Louisville.   All of which seemed to have led to an Elliot shift in philosophy - the faster offense, better ball control, etc. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Transferring after 1 year because you aren't happy with "development" was and still is the biggest load of horse shit.  That just meant, to me, that Daddy Sun was unhappy his daughter was doing things outside of volleyball.   

Could be but I think Sun was so hyped as a recruit a lot of people thought she was going to be an all world player from the start (including her dad). 

Sun wasn't getting consistent 6 rotation playing time because she wasn't ready for it. 

And to be honest the lack of development for those type players under Elliott was lacking at the time. It's improved since then. Still, I'm not a fan of blaming
"development" on Texas as a FR when she simply wasn't ready to play at that level. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Could be but I think Sun was so hyped as a recruit a lot of people thought she was going to be an all world player from the start (including her dad). 

Sun wasn't getting consistent 6 rotation playing time because she wasn't ready for it. 

And to be honest the lack of development for those type players under Elliott was lacking at the time. It's improved since then. Still, I'm not a fan of blaming
"development" on Texas as a FR when she simply wasn't ready to play at that level. 

It's also a two way street - was Lexi willing to put in the work on her own as well or was she truly too distracted by Austin/Mo Bamba?  Very likely Daddy had to take the away the distractions.  

Either way, Nebraska won a championship with her, but she wasn't the reason they won.  Texas is in the Final Four on Thursday and ended her career at Nebraska with a big ole loss.   Both programs are fine in the long run. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I do ultimately wonder if Lexi hadn't left, would JE had shifted more of his coaching into ball coach and recruiting elite libero and DS? Kind of felt like it led to where we are now.   We ran into some bad draws after that (losing in the Regional Final to Tree in Palo Alto in 2017, losing to BYU in Provo in 2018) and the disaster of 2019 vs. Louisville.   All of which seemed to have led to an Elliot shift in philosophy - the faster offense, better ball control, etc. 

I dunno but I think the criticisms about Sun definitely pushed him to find/develop some legit 6 rotation players. 

See Logan. 

Coaches take that stuff personally.  

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's also a two way street - was Lexi willing to put in the work on her own as well or was she truly too distracted by Austin/Mo Bamba?  Very likely Daddy had to take the away the distractions.  

Either way, Nebraska won a championship with her, but she wasn't the reason they won.  Texas is in the Final Four on Thursday and ended her career at Nebraska with a big ole loss.   Both programs are fine in the long run. 

Yeah I agree with the last few posts.  It was a combination of things, but I think mostly driven by her Dad/parents.  I bet she would have stayed if it had been up to her.

I am also intrigued by your theory that her departure, maybe with some other things, led JE to change things up a bit.  I'm glad that he has done so.  From a fan's perspective, that was a bleak time:  some shitty losses and underperformance for the same old reasons, staleness and mental fragility in the program, etc.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am also intrigued by your theory that her departure, maybe with some other things, led JE to change things up a bit.  I'm glad that he has done so.  From a fan's perspective, that was a bleak time:  some shitty losses and underperformance for the same old reasons, staleness and mental fragility in the program, etc.

Beyond schematic shifts he's also seemed to mellow out a bit as a coach. 

I think that helps. 

With Sun there will multiple times where she was close to tears on the sidelines. I think Elliott has realized he had to dial it back a bit. 

• Like 1

Lexi also could not have vibed well with Elliott and other coaches. I know there was a post on here that was saying she was almost in tears while Elliott yelled at her on the sideline. IMO, (only based off what I observed in person at games or watching games on TV) Elliott can be a hothead that either ignores or yells his players that are performing poorly - I may be totally wrong, but this is just the impression I get. While some of it is probably Lexi's mental toughness, I personally was not a player who responded well to these types of coaches, so I can also understand it just not working out. 

But who cares about Lexi Sun because TEXAS is moving on to the semi-finals, and for once I feel like Paul Sunderland cant say that Wisconsin is the more "battle tested/ready" team since they had so many matches cancelled. I am feeling optimistic about our chances after watching the match against Florida last night. 

Texas has gelled a bit more, playing both the fall and spring, compared to Wisconsin.  That Rice loss was a good wake-up call for us (as was when we lost the last regular season game in 2012 against ISU and then ran all the way to the title).  Plus Elliot isn't tinkering with the lineup like he did in the spring to get Parra and Malual playing time.  The core team is playing all the minutes down the stretch because they have great chemistry. 

The B1G gets all the accolades, but Wisconsin's B1G schedule was meh: 

Played 2 matches against Purdue to open the season 3 months ago
Played a bunch of meh B1G teams and had their two Nebraska matches cancelled
Had 1 of their Minnesota matches cancelled
Had both PSU matches cancelled
Finish with Michigan, who did not make the tournament

The last tournament team they played before the NCAAT was March 21 (Minnesota). 

They only played 3 matches against tournament teams (2x Purdue, Minnesota) and had 5 cancelled (2x Nebraska, 2x PSU, Minnesota).  Texas played 7 matches against tournament teams - 4x Baylor, 2x Texas State, Rice. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I have never seen Elliiott yelling or really even getting animated on the sideline.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But he just EXUDES disapproval at times.  It's really something.  I could see him being the type that doesn't say much, but a few glances and the expression on his face say plenty.  I'm a bit the same way when I am livid pissed.  It upsets my wife terribly when I'm like that.  

8 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have never seen Elliiott yelling or really even getting animated on the sideline.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But he just EXUDES disapproval at times.  It's really something.  I could see him being the type that doesn't say much, but a few glances and the expression on his face say plenty.  I'm a bit the same way when I am livid pissed.  It upsets my wife terribly when I'm like that.  

Yelling might be extreme but he definitely gets in players faces and lets them know about his "disapproval." 

In recent years, he seems to have dialed it back. 

His demeanor is very similar to Rick Barnes from my perspective. Barnes wouldn't "yell" at players but he would definitely get in their faces. Those Barnes teams were always wound so tight that I think it played a role in those March collapses. I kind of wonder if that same problem was the cause of these volleyball collapses and why Elliott has adjusted his style of coaching. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Wait, what is this thing about Lexi Sun being distracted by Mo Bamba? How did I miss that? 

i dont know the details.

but they use to date, im not sure it ended well....( i say that because they use to have pictures together and now...none)

i was pumped... was hoping for future baby horns.

41 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

i dont know the details.

but they use to date, im not sure it ended well....( i say that because they use to have pictures together and now...none)

i was pumped... was hoping for future baby horns.

Yeah, there were a number of pix on her social media from which you could infer they were dating.

I didn't see anything indicating that it ended badly, he was definitely on the way out (it's never clear to me whether one and done's even stick around for the rest of the semester) and she proved to be as well.

I can't believe it's been that long but I was really down as a fan at the time of the transfer and thinking we were always going to be close but unlikely to be champions.  If the transfer changed Elliot, I'm glad it happened.  I wish no ill will on Sun, I'm not plugged in but the whole thing sounds like a helicopter parent move.

5 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

I can't believe it's been that long but I was really down as a fan at the time of the transfer and thinking we were always going to be close but unlikely to be champions.  If the transfer changed Elliot, I'm glad it happened.  I wish no ill will on Sun, I'm not plugged in but the whole thing sounds like a helicopter parent move.

Well, Elliott still hasn’t proven yet he can win that 2nd title. 

This year is a great chance but even next season might be better in terms of odds of winning it all. 

Some other volleyball folks can chime in here but shouldn’t Texas be big favorites next year? Returning almost everyone with players like Para getting more reps/experience. Plus,  some key departures from some of the top teams. 

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Well, Elliott still hasn’t proven yet he can win that 2nd title. 

This year is a great chance but even next season might be better in terms of odds of winning it all. 

Some other volleyball folks can chime in here but shouldn’t Texas be big favorites next year? Returning almost everyone with players like Para getting more reps/experience. Plus,  some key departures from some of the top teams. 

Gotta wait and see who takes the COVID year at other programs.

Otherwise, we return everyone but O'Brien.  And she can come back, I believe, if she opts for the COVID year. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Gotta wait and see who takes the COVID year at other programs.

Otherwise, we return everyone but O'Brien.  And she can come back, I believe, if she opts for the COVID year. 

True but looking at the top teams: 

Wisconsin- Haggerty, Loberg and Retke are all SRs. 

Nebraska- Sun and Stirvins are SRs

Wisconsin-Samedy is a SR

I don't know much about the other top teams like Kentucky but if those teams lose those players it's significant. 

19 hours ago, Js1 said:

VolleyTalk comment:

Texas looks like a better serve and pass team than both Wisconsin and Florida

This was posted on volleytalk and it's true: "Badgers are gonna have to pass better than a 1.96. Texas also serves a lot better than Florida."

I can't see anybody beating this team that doesn't pass well and has to play out of system. Nobody is beating these pins/middles out of system. 

46 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

True but looking at the top teams: 

Wisconsin- Haggerty, Loberg and Retke are all SRs. 

Nebraska- Sun and Stirvins are SRs

Wisconsin-Samedy is a SR

I don't know much about the other top teams like Kentucky but if those teams lose those players it's significant.

ME: You listed Wisconsin twice.

TEXASSTRONG12: I like Wisconsin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Congrats to Logan and Brionne for getting 1st Team All-American Honors and Jhenna receiving 3rd Team Honors.

Skylar and Asjia were robbed as they were given Honorable Mention nods.

Me thinks we will see a fired up Skylar and Asjia in the next match against Wisconsin. 

• Hook 'Em 4

What an exciting day!

I like to see what the more intent watchers think over on VolleyTalk

Wisconsin sweep - 1.43%
Wisconsin in 4 - 22.14%
Wisconsin 5 - 10.71%
Texas in 5 - 15.71%
Texas in 4 - 45%
Texas sweep - 5%

I think a lot of it is recency bias with Texas dispatching Nebraska in 4 sets and Wisconsin struggling with Florida in 5. 

But man, if Texas keeps passing like it did against PSU/Nebraska, it's going to be hard to beat them.  Texas is one of the most terminal teams in college volleyball - we hit over .350 against 2 really good defenses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What an exciting day!

I like to see what the more intent watchers think over on VolleyTalk

Wisconsin sweep - 1.43%
Wisconsin in 4 - 22.14%
Wisconsin 5 - 10.71%
Texas in 5 - 15.71%
Texas in 4 - 45%
Texas sweep - 5%

I think a lot of it is recency bias with Texas dispatching Nebraska in 4 sets and Wisconsin struggling with Florida in 5. 

But man, if Texas keeps passing like it did against PSU/Nebraska, it's going to be hard to beat them.  Texas is one of the most terminal teams in college volleyball - we hit over .350 against 2 really good defenses. 

I'm not sure what to make of volleytalk.  Some of the posters seem pretty astute, others seem to be almost complete homer trolls and rumor mongers. 

I guess it's not that different from any place else on the net.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I'm not sure what to make of volleytalk.  Some of the posters seem pretty astute, others seem to be almost complete homer trolls and rumor mongers. 

I guess it's not that different from any place else on the net.

The consensus is basically "Texas is the underdog on paper, but not so in terms of tournament performance." 

I had been in Omaha for the last month onsite on a project and I stayed at a large hotel in the Capital district in walking distance to the CHI arena or whatever. The one thing I noticed was how genuinely massive these girls were. Wisconsin and Nebraska were staying at the same hotel as I was and I shared an elevator with some of these girls-- I'm talking about towering over me and I'm not short. 

Anyways, go 'Horns!

17 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I had been in Omaha for the last month onsite on a project and I stayed at a large hotel in the Capital district in walking distance to the CHI arena or whatever. The one thing I noticed was how genuinely massive these girls were. Wisconsin and Nebraska were staying at the same hotel as I was and I shared an elevator with some of these girls-- I'm talking about towering over me and I'm not short. 

Anyways, go 'Horns!

Not surprised.  They have 6'7, 6'9, 6'9 on their roster. 

Wisconsin will be tough for years because two of those - 6'7 MB/RS Wohlert and 6'9 MB Anna Smrek - are just RS-SO and FR. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Eggleston didn't win player of the year. I hope they're taking this personally. 

Time to prove them wrong. 

Lilley is pretty darn good, but I didn't think a setter would win it.  A setter hasn't won it since 2014. Logan is going to take it personally.  Especially if we face Kentucky in the finals. 

It's shaping up to be like 2012 - Oregon's Alaina Bergsma won POY over Eckerman and we swept their ass in the finals. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Also for the players who have ran through this program, like Fawcett, Hooker, Eckerman, Eggleston....

No Texas player has won NPOY.

Feels like an Elliot coached player will never win it, because it's "expected" that our outside hitters, middle blockers, and right side hitters just dominate. It'll have to be a libero who also sets and hits .500 somehow. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

The consensus is basically "Texas is the underdog on paper, but not so in terms of tournament performance." 

I meant just generally.  As I said a few posts back, when I was feeling down on the program and Elliott, I went over there and rooted around expecting to find more expertise and inside info, and instead found stuff that made the recent football board seem totally sane.

One of the more comical things on that game thread is that Wisky evidently has been forced to play out of system quite a bit during this tournament, so OOS play, advantage Texas.  That kind of cracks me up.

I can kind of understand that. Though OOS play does favor Texas generally because our OHs are more terminal OOS than almost any other team. You learn to be when you typically are an average passing team.

I just hope we keep playing defense and passing like we did in the last 2 matches. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also for the players who have ran through this program, like Fawcett, Hooker, Eckerman, Eggleston....

No Texas player has won NPOY.

Feels like an Elliot coached player will never win it, because it's "expected" that our outside hitters, middle blockers, and right side hitters just dominate. It'll have to be a libero who also sets and hits .500 somehow. 

Lol it's Faucette. Nicole Fawcett played at PSU. I get them confused too since they overlapped in college too