Based on urban/rural divide:

mG8zv.png

Based on racial/ethnic diversity:

vGQK2.png

Based on median PPP (high income =blue):

0W2Yj.png

Because I was bored and curious mostly.

------

Urban/Rural might actually be the closest. 

Texas is blue in all.

At ~4MM Texas has the highest black population.  Wouldn't have guessed that. 

West Virginia is the highest income state at a median PPP of $87,500 and DC is the poorest at $41,000...that's exactly opposite of what I would have guessed.

31 minutes ago, JBJ said:

Based on urban/rural divide:

mG8zv.png

Based on racial/ethnic diversity:

vGQK2.png

Based on median PPP (high income =blue):

0W2Yj.png

Because I was bored and curious mostly.

------

Urban/Rural might actually be the closest. 

Texas is blue in all.

At ~4MM Texas has the highest black population.  Wouldn't have guessed that. 

West Virginia is the highest income state at a median PPP of $87,500 and DC is the poorest at $41,000...that's exactly opposite of what I would have guessed.

I’m sorry are you saying people who live in NY and CA are actually poor AF?

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m sorry are you saying people who live in NY and CA are actually poor AF?

It's the median household, so NY doesn't surprise me.  CA does.  Border poverty plus urban poverty add up?

Edited by JBJ

It's the median household, so NY doesn't surprise me.  CA does.  Border poverty plus urban poverty add up?

That map definitely is not median household income. You said PPP (purchasing power parity) so I'm assuming there is some sort of cost of living adjustment in whatever data is being used. 

Curious about the methodology on rural/ urban too. Several states on there don't really make sense.

1 hour ago, heso said:

What the hell does PPP tell me for West Virginia? That they’re actually poor as fuck but since the only store in town is dollar general, so the money goes further?

PPP is often inaccurate. Mostly because it accounts for Dollar General but not the 99 cent stores in places like NYC where I bought an export Crest yesterday for less than 2 dollars that retails for 4+ in US stores. Sadly that same tube of Crest was probably manufactured in another country, imported here, and then marked for export. 

But the main point is that PPP never accounts for poor people seeking additional value locally. Yet poor people always seek additional value locally. 

But also, I have shopped at generic chain groceries in both WV and NY and they arent all that different. Housing is different. But NY is a big state. The state of NY has an area more than 2x the size of WV that has comparable or cheaper housing prices. But most of us do live near NYC, and that is expensive. 

13 hours ago, bolverk said:

Mind providing links for your data and the definitions you're using (e.g., urban vs. rural)? I mean, are you just showing those that are above/below average on each indicator?

It's 2010 census except the last one is from a business development advisory.  They used DOL for median household income and adjusted for Cost of Living based on C2ER - figures are from from 2018.  

And I'm simply showing even splits (~90 EVs in 6 buckets).

I will say that metro areas and state averages tend to be drastically different COL.  Manhattan vs upstate NY and so on. 

But the COL adjustment for Massachusetts or Maryland are nearly as high as NY.  They just have a higher base income.  

Even without COL, WV has a higher median income than DC or NY.  ($80,000 vs $65,000/$67,500)

Edited by JBJ

Even without COL, WV has a higher median income than DC or NY.  ($80,000 vs $65,000/$67,500)

What? Do you have the link?

The most recent US census American Community Survey data has WV 50/51, beating only MS, with a median household income of $48,850.

DC #1 at $92,266
CA #6 at $80,440
NY #15 at $72,108

Analyzing "rich vs poor" is really tough because there's not an easy metric to use. Sure, the guy making 65k a year in Kansas can afford a big house on 5 acres because it's Kansas. And he goes out to the nicest steakhouse in town and gets a ribeye and his wife wine drunk for 80 bucks.
And the guy in DC making 250k a year lives in a 2 bedroom condo and a top shelf steakhouse is $400 out the door.
But Kansas guy is not better off or more wealthy. He will live a modest retirement where DC guy can retire lavishly to anywhere in the world. Kansas guy takes vacations to Branson, DC guy flies first to Paris or Sydney.
You really just have to use median income. The greatest indicator of wealth is.. wealth.
Also Hawaii is an obvious extreme outlier due to cost of goods. Alaska too.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Analyzing "rich vs poor" is really tough because there's not an easy metric to use. Sure, the guy making 65k a year in Kansas can afford a big house on 5 acres because it's Kansas. And he goes out to the nicest steakhouse in town and gets a ribeye and his wife wine drunk for 80 bucks.
And the guy in DC making 250k a year lives in a 2 bedroom condo and a top shelf steakhouse is $400 out the door.
But Kansas guy is not better off or more wealthy. He will live a modest retirement where DC guy can retire lavishly to anywhere in the world. Kansas guy takes vacations to Branson, DC guy flies first to Paris or Sydney.
You really just have to use median income. The greatest indicator of wealth is.. wealth.
Also Hawaii is an obvious extreme outlier due to cost of goods. Alaska too.

The middle class doesn't make 250k in DC or NY.

The guy in Kansas making 65k is better off than the guy in NY making 71k.  That's barely north of middle class in each state.

Edited by JBJ

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

I used this, but now I'm wondering if they bungled the state/income sorting.

It doesn't match anything I can find.  The adjustments seem correct.

16029536010648137060103380405262.jpg

LOL at thinking anything saying West fucking Virginia has a median income of $79,726 could possibly be accurate. Seriously, why the fuck would you think that is at all possible? Your bullshit detector should have been blaring. You might want to get it checked. 

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/WV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_income

Edited by Dahobbs

The guy in Kansas making 65k is better off than the guy in NY making 71k.  That's barely north of middle class in each state.
Right, but NYC middle class isn't 71k. COL indexes are too location specific to be applied statewide. You have to go city by city. Trust me here, I deal with salary compa ratios almost daily. They're put together by the Deloittes and Marshes of the world and they're extraordinary complex. In big cities it gets down to zip code. It's a cool analysis and it'd be really interesting if you dug deeper into individual cities then perhaps rolled it up to states. Percentage of people below a certain "rich vs poor" line for their MSA.

I look forward to the day Texas has more not stupid idiots than stupid idiots.
Because that day is coming.
Ditto. Arizona is going to get their "not stupid idiot" badge. And we'll give them back to the Rust Belt but they're going to be probationary because they can't ever keep themselves together.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:
3 hours ago, JBJ said:

Right, but NYC middle class isn't 71k. COL indexes are too location specific to be applied statewide. You have to go city by city. Trust me here, I deal with salary compa ratios almost daily. They're put together by the Deloittes and Marshes of the world and they're extraordinary complex. In big cities it gets down to zip code. It's a cool analysis and it'd be really interesting if you dug deeper into individual cities then perhaps rolled it up to states. Percentage of people below a certain "rich vs poor" line for their MSA.

Median household income (in 2018 dollars), 2014-2018

Manhattan $82,459

Bronx $38,085

Queens $64,987

Brooklyn $56,015

Staten $79,267

NYC $60,762

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/newyorkcountymanhattanboroughnewyork,bronxcountybronxboroughnewyork,queenscountyqueensboroughnewyork,kingscountybrooklynboroughnewyork,richmondcountystatenislandboroughnewyork,newyorkcitynewyork/HSG010219

Edited by JBJ