Tom Hardy is Venom (Oct 2018)

Patrick Bateman

Holy shit..... Guess the power of Hardy and a popular villain/anti-hero got a big audience (I admit I saw it).  I expect a pretty steep draw next weekend.  

https://variety.com/2018/film/box-office/venom-a-star-is-born-box-office-the-hate-u-give-loving-pablo-1202971215/

Sony’s “Venom” is set to smash the previous opening weekend record for October with an estimated $80 million from 4,250 theaters.

The film, which stars Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, who becomes the eponymous anti-hero Venom, is likely to beat out the last record-holder, “Gravity,” which debuted in 2013 to $55.7 million. Sony is projecting a more conservative estimate of $70 million, but even that number marks a 22% margin over “Gravity’s” opening tally.

“Venom” earned $32.75 million on Friday, with a B+ CinemaScore and abysmal Rotten Tomatoes score of 31%. Its audience score is somewhat more optimistic however, at 89%. Ruben Fleischer directed the dark twist on a superhero fable, with Michelle Williams, Riz Ahmed, Scott Haze, and Reid Scott also starring. Jeff Pinkner, Scott Rosenberg, and Kelly Marcel wrote the script.

There's a good movie in there somewhere but this effort wasn't it..... And I'll say for the tenor of the movie, Hardy was the wrong guy... or the tone of the movie was all wrong with Hardy as the star.  I'll lean towards the latter.  Waste of a decent cast.

Spoiler

If you care about such things, if you don't care about the animated universe, the there's no need to stay for the 2nd post credit scene.  It's an introduction to an animated thing.  

I enjoyed the interpretation of Venom but the movie is a mess. The editing is so bad that there are many times you just go, "huh"?

And the final scene you can barely even make out what's going on.

I hope they release an unrated/R version after theaters. It could have been so much better but those box office numbers are impressive

Saw it last night. Pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it was.  Yes there were some flaws with the editing for sure...but there was some legit funny banter between Eddie and Venom that I didn't remember there being in the comics or any other version of his character so far. 

The end credits scenes were a highlight, especially the final one.  Can't wait for that movie.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Can someone post what the post credit scene was in spoiler tags for those of us who had to dash when the movie was over and didnt have time to sit through the half hour of credits?  

Spoiler

There was a short scene about 2 minutes in of Eddie meeting Cletus Kasady (Carnage) in a prison.

The post credits scene is just a trailer for the upcoming Into the Spiderverse animated movie. Save yourself 15 minutes and just watch it on YouTube

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:27 AM, Tom said:

Can someone post what the post credit scene was in spoiler tags for those of us who had to dash when the movie was over and didnt have time to sit through the half hour of credits?  

It's seriously not even near 30 minutes.  15 tops.

Also, slight correction to the spoiler of the final end credit scene above.

It's not a trailer of the new Spiderman movie, it's like pretty much the first 8 minutes or so of the movie. Much better than a trailer.  But if you can catch it on youtube some how, go ahead and do it.

Edited by Drew

• 3 months later...
On 10/10/2018 at 9:20 AM, Drew said:

Saw it last night. Pleasantly surprised by how entertaining it was.  Yes there were some flaws with the editing for sure...but there was some legit funny banter between Eddie and Venom that I didn't remember there being in the comics or any other version of his character so far. 

The end credits scenes were a highlight, especially the final one.  Can't wait for that movie.

Watched it last night for family movie night. I'm not a comic book guy, but I really enjoyed the movie ... the dialogue between Eddie and Venom was funny -> we LOL at the "pussy" and "loser" lines. Not a critic, but we all enjoyed it ... agreed on Hardy - I really like him but felt like an odd casting, but whatever it was fun.