Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

2 hours ago, DexterMorgan said:

The Big Red bout to roll Colorado tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched the CU/ CSU game and think being that NU didn't get a game in, Colorado might have a slight advantage over Nebraska... Buffs 31/ Huskers 26...

Colorado looks much improved from last year. Better receiver depth and vastly improved read progression by QB along with better play calling (new OC). Nebraska had no tune up game and their QB hasn’t taken a snap in 2 years.

Edited by LTbear

14 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Colorado looks much improved from last year. Better receiver depth and vastly improved read progression by QB along with better play calling (new OC). Nebraska had no tune up game and their QB hasn’t taken a snap in 2 years.

Which means Colorado has no film on him. 

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

It's funny watching the new boyfriends of these two B12 ex-wives argue about how theirs is hotter.

Narrator: Neither one is.

You might be projecting your jilted ex-lover syndrome. Nobody is declaring either to be better. I'm rooting for UNL because it's good for the B1G, because Scott Frost is a good story, and because I've got a good friend from Fresno and I got him interested in following Adrian Martinez. But I've often cheered for Colorado over the years. I won't shed any tears if they win the game.

Both teams are better off out of the B12. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You might be projecting your jilted ex-lover syndrome. Nobody is declaring either to be better. I'm rooting for UNL because it's good for the B1G, because Scott Frost is a good story, and because I've got a good friend from Fresno and I got him interested in following Adrian Martinez. But I've often cheered for Colorado over the years. I won't shed any tears if they win the game.

It’s a tough game to pick. Nebraska, as you say, hasn’t produced any game film yet. And on paper they have better talent, plus of course a great home field advantage. Colorado has coaching consistency, more experience, a game under their belt and a veteran QB. Emotions likely high for both teams. Will be a fun one.

17 minutes ago, LTbear said:

It’s a tough game to pick. Nebraska, as you say, hasn’t produced any game film yet. And on paper they have better talent, plus of course a great home field advantage. Colorado has coaching consistency, more experience, a game under their belt and a veteran QB. Emotions likely high for both teams. Will be a fun one.

Yeah, nobody knows what to expect. Nebraska is favored by 3 points. That's what they always say home field advantage gets you. The bookies don't know either. I think it's one of the most interesting games of the weekend even though it won't have any impact on conference or national championship races. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, nobody knows what to expect. Nebraska is favored by 3 points. That's what they always say home field advantage gets you. The bookies don't know either. I think it's one of the most interesting games of the weekend even though it won't have any impact on conference or national championship races. 

Agreed. Even it weren’t my team, I always enjoy watching a rivalry game. This is one of those games I actively miss watching each year.

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Lulz.

Scoreboard, beeyotch.

7 hours ago, LTbear said:

That's not completely accurate.  He played in an All-star game in the winter vs. high end competition and also the spring game.  I'm guessing he takes at least a snap or two in practice as well.

9 hours ago, utee94 said:

We have scoreboard on Ohio State you fucking moron.

Yeah, I'll bet you were thinking Nebraska in your "beeyotch" post. Scoreboard vs. Ohio State wouldn't be relevant to the topic at all. 

Technically, just going by the scoreboard, it reads OSU 67 UT 56. Texas has a 2-1 advantage in the series. Ohio State would have that advantage if Ryan Hamby (who is now a Gastroenterologist) had held onto that ball. It's a pretty small sample size on which to base comparisons. 

What would the record be if the two teams had played each of the last five years? According to stassen.com, Texas and Nebraska have only played each other 14 times. If Ohio State and Texas played annually starting in 2005 and ending this year, what do you suppose the record would be?

There are lots of ways to compare teams. For example, Ohio State is 4-0 against Maryland. We could compare conference and national championships, Heisman trophies, winning percentage. The two teams are currently tied at 898 wins. Do you suppose they'll still be tied at season's end? We could talk about all those things but that's not relevant either. 

Obviously I struck a nerve. What I said wouldn't have bothered you if you didn't know it was true...beeyotch.

So we all agree that Nebraska and Colorado are both better off now than if they were still in the B12, right?

I don't know what kind of money Colorado is making but Nebraska is getting $51.5 Million/year now in the B1G. They both have a conference network showing their games. The probability that the Big Ten and Pacific conferences will both still be a thing ten years from now is a lot greater than the probability that the B12 conference will be. We never see fans from either school posting their regrets about leaving. Seems pretty cut and dried to me. 

Sounds like Nebraska may have dodged a bullet.  Frost is saying Martinez could play in their next game and that he doesn't have ligament damage.  As the CU game showed, Nebraska is one play away from starting a walk-on at QB.  The walk-on did alright against the Buffs, but from a long-term standpoint, losing Martinez would be a huge problem for NU. 

Frost also suggested that a CU linebacker may have twisted Martinez's knee on the play, so they sent the video in to the Big 10 and Pac 12 league offices.  Looked to me like the CU LB dove in at the end to stop any possible forward momentum, but I couldn't tell if he twisted Martinez's leg.  I didn't see anything glaringly dirty.

Such incredible whining. Gotta look for something to complain about, since of course they can't just accept that Buffs win, Huskers lose. Nebraska savior goes down in his first game, on the same day Osborne gets inducted into their hall of fame. 'Twas a perfect day. 

Edited by LTbear

1 hour ago, LTbear said:

Such incredible whining. Gotta look for something to complain about, since of course they can't just accept that Buffs win, Huskers lose. Nebraska savior goes down in his first game, on the same day Osborne gets inducted into their hall of fame. 'Twas a perfect day. 

It does sound a bit "whiny" after the fact, and not just giving the Buffs credit for a solid win...

19 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

Frost will learn there's more talent standing on the street corner in Miami than the entire Midwest.

Time will tell, but I look for Frost to try to use his recruiting inroads while at UCF, to help prop up the Huskers future classes...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

Sorry, if that's your team. They are classy, knowledgeable fans. My family are Iowans. The days of steroid freaks and county scholarships are long gone. I thought the move to the Big 10 would level the playing field for them in terms of team speed and skill position players, but it didn't. Good luck.

I agree with your assessment...

Nebraska probably ranks behind Arizona State, as far as teams I root for, but that's due to history in the old Big8...

15 hours ago, Nolacycling said:

Sorry, if that's your team. They are classy, knowledgeable fans. My family are Iowans. The days of steroid freaks and county scholarships are long gone. I thought the move to the Big 10 would level the playing field for them in terms of team speed and skill position players, but it didn't. Good luck.

You don't seriously believe the County Scholarship myth do you? 

The loss of "prop48" players put a real dent in Nebraska's ability to recruit the same as the early 1990's...

HEADED FOR A FALL? NEBRASKA MAY WIN ANOTHER NATIONAL ...

Jan 15, 1996 - Prop 48--which is scheduled to be replaced by Prop 16 this summer--is still ... championship game, will be played without Nebraska. Florida will ...

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

yes, yes I do.

Then explain why Terry Conneally was a full ride football scholarship from Grant Co. Nebraska population 746 instead of having a county scholarship. Same with Lance Lundberg from Wausa, and Dean Steinkuhler from Sterling. 

The truth of the walk-on program is that the state actually used to support higher education and it was pretty cheap to go down to Lincoln and give it a shot. Couple that with steroids and the natural leverage developed by throwing square bales and you could crank develop linemen and fullbacks, especially when they would go unscouted by anybody else, because there wasn't film on dudes from Humboldt and Ansely.  There's a reason Hudl developed in Nebraska, because those folks knew how many kids were out there under the radar. 

3 minutes ago, Nolacycling said:

In fairness, I googled and it is often identified as a myth, but while it's hard to prove something that didn't happen the most used reason was the NCAA didn't find anything, which isn't saying much. But I am calling bs on the hay bale thing or is it because they do hay in those round bundles now?

Image result for baled hay

Now most hay is rolled or big squares, but it wasn't through the 70's and 80's, along with a lot less active dairies and hog farms now.  The trick to lift 75lb idiot bricks all day was to use your legs, and the motion builds directly into what you would use for run blocking. You take that, and add pharmaceuticals and you've got yourself a running game.  Nebraska also has a deep sporting culture, especially for football, and wrestling, as well as volleyball, and that played into as well. For a long time, Nebraska had the highest percentage of eligible boys out for football, which helped to feed upon itself as well.