Tell me about Nebraska

RollLeft

On 8/12/2018 at 2:07 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Nebraska's non-conference schedule in 2020:  Central Michigan; South Dakota State; and Cincinnati.

I don't think I've seen a more pussified non-conference schedule in my life.  Nebraska fans should be embarrassed by that shit.

Central Michigan will be "tough competition" for Nebraska. Remember, they did lose at home to Northern Illinois last year.

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

Central Michigan will be "tough competition" for Nebraska. Remember, they did lose at home to Northern Illinois last year.

Who could forget the loss to the Huskies, I think that sealed the fate of Riley in Lincoln...

20 hours ago, DexterMorgan said:

Texas is no different. 2005 was a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullshit.  Texas played for a national championship after the 2009 season.  Nebraska hasn't finished in the AP top 10 since the 2001 season.  It's been a far longer drought for Nebraska.

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Bullshit.  Texas played for a national championship after the 2009 season.  Nebraska hasn't finished in the AP top 10 since the 2001 season.  It's been a far longer drought for Nebraska.

Yeah I’m not sure the “who sucks the least” argument is one worth having.

And the whole state would go down on their knees to sniff a playoff spot.

On August 26, 2018 at 12:23 AM, Longboard Horn said:

Nebraska's defense was atrocious last year but it wasn't because of a lack of talent. It was scheme and coaching. The Bob Diaco experiment turned out to be a dismal failure. I saw a lot of DBs covering grass while receivers were running free. It was embarrassing. I expect there to be a huge improvement on that side of the ball this year. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Nebraska's defense was atrocious last year but it wasn't because of a lack of talent. It was scheme and coaching. The Bob Diaco experiment turned out to be a dismal failure. I saw a lot of DBs covering grass while receivers were running free. It was embarrassing. I expect there to be a huge improvement on that side of the ball this year. 

If the same defense is used as what was by the UCF Knights against the Auburn Tigers, then it's safe to say the Huskers will be ok..!

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Nebraska is one injury (to Martinez) away from being up shit creek without a paddle.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24494961/nebraska-cornhuskers-1-qb-scholarship-tristan-gebbia-withdraws-university

Congratulations to Adrian Martinez on winning the job.

They were talking during the spring game broadcast that the walk-on Bunch was the projected starter at the time because of his understanding of the offense. He didn't look bad. I figured he'd get the start and Martinez would be his backup at least to start the season. But it was obvious that Martinez is their future at QB. Gebbia was a likely transfer regardless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They were talking during the spring game broadcast that the walk-on Bunch was the projected starter at the time because of his understanding of the offense. He didn't look bad. I figured he'd get the start and Martinez would be his backup at least to start the season. But it was obvious that Martinez is their future at QB. Gebbia was a likely transfer regardless. 

Here is video of Martinez grinding to get the starting job:

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Sounds like you're whistling past the graveyard.  You've got a true frosh whose game is predicated in large part on his running ability, thus exposing him more to injury.  He's backed up by a walk-on who has never taken a snap in a Div. 1 game.  (Spring game performances don't mean squat.  Tanner Lee had a great spring game in '17, and look how that turned out.)  Not a great QB situation for you.

Martinez is talented, but he'll be challenged by the defenses he sees and he'll also need to stay healthy.  Every time he runs, you'll be holding your breath.  Fortunately for you, the non-conference schedule is about as strong as a soggy kleenex and Frost is a good coach who has a proven ability to develop QBs.  But I have a feeling '18 will bring more pain for Huskers fans before Frost can get things turned around.   

34 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Martinez is talented, but he'll be challenged by the defenses he sees and he'll also need to stay healthy.  Every time he runs, you'll be holding your breath.  Fortunately for you, the non-conference schedule is about as strong as a soggy kleenex and Frost is a good coach who has a proven ability to develop QBs.  But I have a feeling '18 will bring more pain for Huskers fans before Frost can get things turned around.   

The in division foes of Northwestern/ Illinois/ Minnesota & possibly Iowa should be more like a breather, compared to the opponents from the east division...

Anyone arguing that Nebraska isn’t a blue blood program is a fucking idiot that doesn’t know shit about college football or its history. Nebraska’s historical achievements are equal to if not greater than UT’s and no one is saying we aren’t a blue blood after a decade of sucking. Frost is going to elevate Nebraska back to a position of prominence and they are going to be the B1G West power going forward. In my opinion, Nebraska is the story line of the 2018 season in all of college football. Would love to play them again. The Big XII hasn’t been the same since they left.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Sounds like you're whistling past the graveyard.  You've got a true frosh whose game is predicated in large part on his running ability, thus exposing him more to injury.  He's backed up by a walk-on who has never taken a snap in a Div. 1 game.  (Spring game performances don't mean squat.  Tanner Lee had a great spring game in '17, and look how that turned out.)  Not a great QB situation for you.

You seem to have mistaken me for a Husker. 

Nobody's expecting Nebraska to compete for a championship in Frost's first year. And yes, there's always the risk of injury. It's football. I think the "barring injury" caveat is understood and doesn't need to be expressed every time we're talking about any player. You don't want to see any player get hurt but you can't be afraid of monsters under the bed. You play the game, hope for the best, and deal with injuries as they arise. 

Martinez is getting thrown into the fire as a true freshman. That should pay dividends down the road. Maybe they'll be competing for the B1G West in 2020. Maybe they'll never get back to their glory days but there's no reason they shouldn't be better than Wisconsin. The Badgers don't have any recruiting advantage over the Huskers. Nobody in their division does. Frost was the perfect hire and I'm going to enjoy watching him conduct the rebuilding process. Snatching a stud freshman QB recruit in his first year is a good first step. 

10 hours ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Anyone arguing that Nebraska isn’t a blue blood program is a fucking idiot that doesn’t know shit about college football or its history. Nebraska’s historical achievements are equal to if not greater than UT’s and no one is saying we aren’t a blue blood after a decade of sucking. Frost is going to elevate Nebraska back to a position of prominence and they are going to be the B1G West power going forward. In my opinion, Nebraska is the story line of the 2018 season in all of college football. Would love to play them again. The Big XII hasn’t been the same since they left.

I would agree with all of that other than the fact that Wisconsin will not be likely to just give up it's grip on the crown of the B1G west division...

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I would agree with all of that other than the fact that Wisconsin will not be likely to just give up it's grip on the crown of the B1G west division...

That’s a good point. Wisconsin since Alvarez has been a consistently solid program. It’s Wisconsin and Nebraska then everyone in the B1G West. If there was any chance we could get Nebraska back to the XII it would greatly solidify the future of the conference. Make the OU-NU game an every year occurrence.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

That’s a good point. Wisconsin since Alvarez has been a consistently solid program. It’s Wisconsin and Nebraska then everyone in the B1G West. If there was any chance we could get Nebraska back to the XII it would greatly solidify the future of the conference. Make the OU-NU game an every year occurrence.

You've got my vote for it..!

If Texas wasn’t 9-1 against Nebraska, they would not have left.  And that’s the truth.  

Sucks, because after aggy, CU and MU left, we’d have a ten team conference and Nebraska plays us, OU anf their old big 8 opponents every year.  Would be better for us.  And them.  I can’t  imagine them liking that shit conference schedule they get. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If Texas wasn’t 9-1 against Nebraska, they would not have left.  And that’s the truth.  

Sucks, because after aggy, CU and MU left, we’d have a ten team conference and Nebraska plays us, OU anf their old big 8 opponents every year.  Would be better for us.  And them.  I can’t  imagine them liking that shit conference schedule they get. 

Here is a slate of games for the Cornhuskers:

76b6057db8956d620e280f3bd2f6e2dd.png

Somehow the Bugeaters got stuck with Michigan/ Michigan State & Ohio State from the east division...

But I think if most Husker fans had their druthers, they would rather play Texas/ Oklahoma, local rivals Iowa State & Kansas all within less than 200 miles from Lincoln...

Nebraska's quarterbacks coach caught off guard by Tristan Gebbia's decision to transfer

According to Yahoo Sports, NU quarterback Tristan Gebbia — who surprised Husker coaches by leaving the program after losing the starting quarterback race to Adrian Martinez — will be joining the Beavers' program with an eye on playing as a redshirt sophomore in 2019. 

Hopefully Martinez doesn't get hurt or Frost may need to suit up.

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

Hopefully Martinez doesn't get hurt .

Unlikely. A 220 pound true freshman that likes to scramble is begging for an injury. 

It's going to be interesting how Frost manages this situation. I do feel for Frost because it's tough managing rosters after a coaching change. Guys start jumping ship when the new coach looks like he's prioritizing his guys. 

45 minutes ago, trza-hawk said:

Frost still has elibigility left after the new rule changes involving people in red shirts.

So your saying there's a chance... (in my Jim Carrey voice), I think Frost might as well quarterback by committee this fall and look to recruit a solid backup for next fall...

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

So your saying there's a chance... (in my Jim Carrey voice), I think Frost might as well quarterback by committee this fall and look to recruit a solid backup for next fall...

And considering Martinez is Nebby's ONLY scholarship QB on the depth chart now.

I thought the consensus here was that Nebraska is relegated to mediocrity in perpetuity because of recruiting issues. So is it now the case that they can return to their glory days if they just find the right coordinators? Did Bo Pellini just need a better OC in order to win championships?

I'm getting contradictory messages. Is it the Jimmies and Joes or the X's and O's?

I thought the consensus here was that Nebraska is relegated to mediocrity in perpetuity because of recruiting issues. So is it now the case that they can return to their glory days if they just find the right coordinators? Did Bo Pellini just need a better OC in order to win championships?
I'm getting contradictory messages. Is it the Jimmies and Joes or the X's and O's?

Bo Pelini is widely regarded as a shitty recruiter. Riley recruited nationally and Frost is doing the same. He’s recruiting players to fit his scheme, much like Osborne did. We aren’t getting the stars like the big boys of recruiting, but we’re getting players that fit the system and can be developed.