2018 Texas Volleyball

texasstrong12

So,for those of us that only follow UT volleyball (but passionately)...what am I looking for in Florida/BYU this evening?  We narrowly beat UF earlier this year, and BYU obviously is stacked and at home.  It's obviously out of our hands who wins, but who do we match up against better and can we make it last 5 sets that somehow lasts past midnite?  

29 minutes ago, UrbanAchiever said:

Check out the box score for set 2 of Minnesota - Oregon. Oregon won it 41-39. That had to be intense. 

Oregon fought off nine set points. At 38-37 Minnesota thought they won the set, but Oregon challenged it and the officials ruled correctly that a dig had hit the ground. Oregon just won the third set to go up 2-1. Would be brutal for Minnesota to lose with the Final Four in Minneapolis this year.

12 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Tough game for Sydney but Logan really brought it today.  Hit .364 against a good team, 2 blocks and 9 digs

Was she bad today? I didn't really notice, but we did have some fairly brutal first contacts. 

The announcers said meatchicken was a tough serving team and I buy that. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Was she bad today? I didn't really notice, but we did have some fairly brutal first contacts. 

The announcers said meatchicken was a tough serving team and I buy that. 

Real rough in service receive and not great passing overall.  Too many passes landing at the 10 ft line or out wide in sets 2-4.  And Michigan is a really tough serving team: 3-to-4 aces to errors ratio for the year and that's exactly what they did tonight (6 aces, 8 errors).  5 of those 6 aces were on Peterson.

Sydney's defense was fine as was her role as secondary setter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sandlot said:

A tough matchup for Texas playing BYU at home. I think Texas has to be almost flawless to win and I just don’t see that happening. I just don’t think this is a good matchup for Texas.  Also White needs to scrap the jump serve. 

Unfortunately agree on all counts, especially the last. Baffling that she never tries a different serve. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

18 hours ago, Sandlot said:

A tough matchup for Texas playing BYU at home. I think Texas has to be almost flawless to win and I just don’t see that happening. I just don’t think this is a good matchup for Texas.  Also White needs to scrap the jump serve. 

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Unfortunately agree on all counts, especially the last. Baffling that she never tries a different serve. 

Yeah I don't think she needs to scrap it. But she does need to mix it up more. A heavy topspin serve is the most predictable serve. If you hit it all the time and esp hit it the same way, it's not that hard to pass. When you have one very good serve, it's always gonna help to learn to change speeds & location more & mix in some floaters, etc. She could really be deadly then.

3 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

I guess volleyball is the one sport where it is blurred the most. I’ve always thought match though. 

Yeah, it's a match, where you have to win 3 of 5 games. That's always been very clear imho. Calling 'games' 'sets' is what's stupid (esp when it's being done to somehow make the shit easier for casual fans to understand). Set? Set of what? Set of points? So stupid. In tennis, it actually makes sense. Not so much in volleyball.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Illinois hammering Wiscy right now. Up 2 to 1 and rolling in the 4th. They look good... These Big 10 teams don’t make a lot of mistakes and keep everything off the floor. Long rallies. It’s a scrap for every point.

Yeah Michigan's D was pretty nice too.