COPA AMERICA 2021 ...(could be played in USA)

Napoleon

20 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Y’all know me and know who I pull for any and every time, but that wasn’t offsides on Chile. Goal should have been allowed.

Yeah, said the same thing. Sometimes its good to be Brazil. Well except against Germany.... Sorry, too soon? :)

Bittersweet seeing Uruguay and Chile out. Been watching their golden generations overachieve for more than a decade, and this Copa could well have been their last hurrah.

Most of Chile's nucleus (Medel, Sanchez, Vidal, Jara, Bravo, Isla, Beausejour, Vargas and Aranguiz) have been playing together since 2007. Together, they won back-to-back Copas (2015 and 2016) but critically missed qualifying for the 2018 WC.

Of that class, I'll most miss Gary Medel. He looks like some guy from your Tuesday night rec league--short, chubby and slow--yet he rarely put a foot wrong and always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Uruguay is a more polarizing group, probably because of El Vampiro, but there's no denying this generation's impact. They won the 2011 Copa and advanced to the knockout stages of every World Cup cycle, including the semifinals in 2010 and quarterfinals in 2018.

Forlan will always be my favorite, but it was a pleasure watching him and Pereira give way to up-and-comers Suarez and Cavani, who are now on the downslope of their careers. Despite all their antics, I will miss them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Messi being very un-Messi

I missed the first half?

How is Messi being “un-Messi”?

(I need to know what to type after telling you that you’re wrong and haven’t a fucking clue what you’re talking about. Thanks, 👍)

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I missed the first half?

How is Messi being “un-Messi”?

(I need to know what to type after telling you that you’re wrong and haven’t a fucking clue what you’re talking about. Thanks, 👍)

All alone against the keeper and hit the post

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, WBT said:

All alone against the keeper and hit the post

Oh, there’s no defending that. 

He dives, he whines, he skies shots on goal & set pieces, and his PKs get stopped, but…

He does NOT (usually) miss 1-v-1 opportunities against a keeper. 

Vamos, Dale, Che!!!!

Vamos Argentina, Carajo!

Even my Ecuadoran amigo, Luis González (not a fake name like “John Smith”… and I am friends with a “John Smith”), is pulling for Argentina, because he knows that Ecuador can’t win it. 

Vamos Fideo!

1 hour ago, APMP said:

Messi deserves to win a trophy with Argentina before he's done. This might be his last chance. Let's go Albicelesete.

I think that Brazil is far and away the best team in the tournament if for no other reason than I think that Argentina is 2nd best and way behind Brazil. I think that Messi is a system player and can’t excel on an island like Neymar can… and I really dislike Neymar.

Argentina’s one saving grace is that Higuaín isn’t on the squad to miss a sitter that would be the winning goal like he did in ‘14, ‘15, and ‘16. Higuaín was the Scott Norwood of national team soccer in the mid 2010s.