How long does Earth have left?

GreenspointTexas

On 5/11/2018 at 12:44 PM, CHEF DIESEL said:

No matter what humans as a species do, either cut down all the trees, burn everything...or...become hyper sensitive eco-warriors, humans will become extinct. Just like everything else except for amoeba and some primitive ooze somewhere. Extinction is just the order of things. It has nothing to do with climate change or lack thereof. It has everything to do with just the natural track record of life on this planet. It all goes extinct. Just like humans will.

Or rather we evolve and a newer form(s) of Homo Saipan Sapian emerges or we carry on ala the horseshoe crab due to our ability to manipulate our environment.    

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If we can do anything to avoid extinction, we should. We should strive to exist long enough to evolve into a higher being, just like our ancestors did for billions of years before us, from all the way back when our ancestors were single cell creatures.

Now explain why.

33 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah but wont Mars be in the goldilocks zone by then? Or will the sun get too big too fast to colonize it if we don't make it off?

I don't reckon the human race or anything resembling it will have to worry about it by then. Nothing will be in a traditional habitable zone near Sol. 

I said 4 billion years, human shaped beings have only been around like 30 million years. So if you think about it, within the next few hundred million years, it is unlikely that humans as we know it will exist. There's three routes, we go extinct, we naturally continue evolving, we learn how to use technology to evolve our own biology somehow. All three will happen way, way before the sun dies.

In fact, it's much more likely we have a worldwide catastrophe than the sun cycle ending. Comet impacts, solar minimum/maximum, massive volcanic eruption could all change the climate in such a way the human species would struggle to survive.

• Like 1

All those are bottle neck events, which speeds up evolution. Personally, I'm concerned with the next several generations of my family more so than whether or not humanity as we know it survives. Evolution happens, and humans happen to be one of the most adaptable (and capable of adapting their aurroundings) species on this planet if not the most. I seriously doubt there is a catastrophie so bad that our species can't figure it out. So let's worry about our kids and grandkids and let them figure out what to do from there.

Well I think the next five or so generations will have to worry much more about small things than big things like "the Earth". Obesity and cancer seem to be linked to processed foods and sugar, but I think it also has to do with eating frequency and inactivity. Pretty horrible how first world nations have obesity problems and third world nations have over population problems.

I would hope for people you care for to continue with a culture that helps reinforce positivity and community. Maybe one that has a weekly session to remind everyone we arent perfect and we should continue to improve ourselfs. Christianity seems to work pretty good. It's way more likely to keep your genes/legacy alive and doing good than generational wealth. 

Other than that I wish people would get focused on things that could more easily be changed and have real impact. We were influenced by sci fi so much to go out and explore space, cool idea, but my opinion is the Earth is perfect for us. We were made for it. All the answers we seek are within, it's at our fingertips. We spend more money on theoretical space biology, than on the biggest and possibly most untapped science here on Earth - mycology. The old growth forests are getting destroyed and replaced with an entire forest of the same aged trees...

http://discovermagazine.com/2013/julyaug/13-mushrooms-clean-up-oil-spills-nuclear-meltdowns-and-human-health

Or it would be cool to stop farting around on computers and have another electrical engineering revolution.

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you still alive? Why?

So you have an opinion (that we should do everything possible to perpetuate our species) but you can’t explain or defend it. That’s OK.

14 minutes ago, XYZ said:

So you have an opinion (that we should do everything possible to perpetuate our species) but you can’t explain or defend it. That’s OK.

His point is that you already know the answer, it's the same reason you do the things necessary to continue your own life even though it is a certainty that you will eventually die. You're just being a nihilistic shithead.

15 minutes ago, XYZ said:

If the answer to why we should not want to go extinct is not self-evident then you might be the dumbest person on the face of the earth.