How long does Earth have left?

GreenspointTexas

5 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Bill Gates recently opined that we are due for a catastrophic pandemic plague that could wipe out 30% of the population.  That might be a good reset button.

But as a species, I think we will continue for thousands, or tens of thousands, of years.  

How long do the Dodgers have left?

2 hours ago, po elvis said:

If we wanted to, we could build a system that would protect the future of human life, even if all human life was exterminated by some catastrophic event or series of events. Store lots of sperm and egg samples. Build incubators.  Create a system that could detect when the earth's environment is again ready for habitation, if ever. Give birth to human babies. Raise them by robots. Teach them as they grow older. Give them all the latest technology that we have accrued. It wouldn't be too long that human civilization is able to become something as we know now on a smaller scale.

This guy does not fuck.

Go back 140 years in America - people were having huge families, because hey, the family farm ain't gonna run itself.

Cram everybody into cities and give them jobs that don't require having kids running around milking cows and gathering eggs, etc., and the birthrate drops.

So figure out how to give the third world jobs in cubicles and we can slow down the birthrate or even watch it go negative.

1 hour ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Every species goes extinct. Humans will. It is the nature of the planet we live on.

Well yeah and because the planet wont survive.  The sun will red giant and the energy of the sun and the earth will become one.  Maybe this is What is referred to by many religious texts as the end.  All the energy (soul) of the earth and sun become one.

We’ve got at most, a billion years before the oceans start to boil off and the earth resembles something more similar to Venus than earth. We’re already about 80% of the way through the earth being a habitable planet. 

Edited by heso

6 minutes ago, heso said:

We’ve got at most, a billion years before the oceans start to boil off and the earth resembles something more similar to Venus than earth. We’re already about 80% of the way through the earth being a habitable planet. 

So we got that going for us.....which is nice.

Well, shit.

I really need to get to work on my starship.

Don’t care had sex
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, workswithseed said:

I thought the globe was going negative on birthrates.

It is. We should reach peak population around 2045, based on the most believable UN estimates. Native populations in the economically developed countries already have negative birthrates and many are in decline. China's population for example will peak around 2023 and start falling fast.

We will have a glut of most resources going forward and shrinking economies.

The U.N. estimates do show birthrates rebounding later in the century for no good reason. The problem of how to stabilize population and encourage woman to have more children is already emerging as one of human's most important problems to solve. If we don't humans will die off within 1000 years.

The planet can only sustain so many humans.

At the rate we are ruining the air, but more importantly, the water, that number is getting smaller and getting there more quickly than ever before.

The only chance the human race has is to find multiple planets we think might be habitle, which we wiil, build multiple "Arcs" or

very large space crafts that can travel great distances and send enough humans on each that can create enough generations of humans along the way that it will take one of these ships to actually make it that far.

It is really mankinds only long range hope of continued survival.

Edited by Steamboat1874

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

It is. We should reach peak population around 2045, based on the most believable UN estimates. Native populations in the economically developed countries already have negative birthrates and many are in decline. China's population for example will peak around 2023 and start falling fast.

We will have a glut of most resources going forward and shrinking economies.

The U.N. estimates do show birthrates rebounding later in the century for no good reason. The problem of how to stabilize population and encourage woman to have more children is already emerging as one of human's most important problems to solve. If we don't humans will die off within 1000 years.

So the worlds population is going to start shrinking in 30 years... am I understanding ur post right?

We’ll eventually stop shitting up the planet and survive just fine. Renewables are developing and will eventually be cheap enough that climate change denial won’t matter. We’ll eventually consider how stupid and inefficient it was to extract, process, and burn dead dinosaurs. We’ll also eventually recycle more, find renewable substitutes for plastics, and stop shitting up the ocean. A hundred years ago we were literally shitting in the streets then we started dumping our sewage in the nearest body of water. We fixed that shit up pretty quick. We’ll find solutions over the next 100 years we’ll before we extinct ourselves. We’re living in a weird blip of time where wasteful environmental shitting ways are monumentally cheaper that’s the alternatives. Enough of our smart people see the need to change that and we’ll eventually have cheaper cleaner and less wasteful ways to live. I truly believe that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So the worlds population is going to start shrinking in 30 years... am I understanding ur post right?

Yes, based on What I think is the likeliest UN projections. Their mid range estimates have been too high over the past decade plus, and the low growth projection has been a little too low but the closest.

14 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The planet can only sustain so many humans.

At the rate we are ruining the air, but more importantly, the water, that number is getting smaller and getting there more quickly than ever before.

The only chance the human race has is to find multiple planets we think might be habitle, which we wiil, build multiple "Arcs" or

very large space crafts that can travel great distances and send enough humans on each that can create enough generations of humans along the way that it will take one of these ships to actually make it that far.

It is really mankinds only long range hope of continued survival.

Humans will go extinct and the planet will go on. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, all species on Earth go extinct. Humans will too. It is the nature of things on this planet. Humans are to inwardly focused to think that the species will survive. Extinction is a certainty.

It is nothing to worry about. It is a certain scientific fact that humans cannot stem the tide of extinction.

14 hours ago, 'stache said:

We’ll eventually stop shitting up the planet and survive just fine. Renewables are developing and will eventually be cheap enough that climate change denial won’t matter. We’ll eventually consider how stupid and inefficient it was to extract, process, and burn dead dinosaurs. We’ll also eventually recycle more, find renewable substitutes for plastics, and stop shitting up the ocean. A hundred years ago we were literally shitting in the streets then we started dumping our sewage in the nearest body of water. We fixed that shit up pretty quick. We’ll find solutions over the next 100 years we’ll before we extinct ourselves. We’re living in a weird blip of time where wasteful environmental shitting ways are monumentally cheaper that’s the alternatives. Enough of our smart people see the need to change that and we’ll eventually have cheaper cleaner and less wasteful ways to live. I truly believe that.

That's all well and good, but none of those things addresses the risk of a super-virus. When you have millions of people living in close quarters, it doesn't matter if they aren't tossing their feces into the street anymore. There's a ton of other ways viruses spread as well.

That's why I plan to move to Madagascar. My studies reveal they have no airports, and they shut down their one ship yard as soon as an outbreak arises anywhere in the world. They usually all survive.

• Like 1

I think the main detriment is actually the consumer economy, where creating new forms of consumption and increasing the number of consumers is seen as the way to increase GDP and improve individual way of life. Many advanced countries have maxed out on individual consumption within and are exporting the same to developing ones (China, India and others). Imagine the horror when a typical Indian or African reaches anywhere near the consumption rate of an American or European.

I think we really need to deeply think about what is development and progress, and what is real upliftment of people. For instance, it is quite paradoxical and sad to see severe depression/opioid abuse among people that are still orders of magnitude better materially than world average.

In this day and age, there is absolutely no excuse for us as species to not work cooperatively in making our lives objectively better without relentlessly driving consumption, which disproportionately profits the 1% in the current multinational corp. setup. There are so many attainable goals of removing hunger, disease and violence across the world, which in turn will stabilize population and greatly reduce adverse effects of resources. Instead we insist on lining up against imaginary lines with guns drawn intent on spreading destruction and misery.

Edited by AeroHorn

2 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

Humans will go extinct and the planet will go on. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, all species on Earth go extinct. Humans will too. It is the nature of things on this planet. Humans are to inwardly focused to think that the species will survive. Extinction is a certainty.

It is nothing to worry about. It is a certain scientific fact that humans cannot stem the tide of extinction.

How long have crocodiles and opossums been around ?

On 5/7/2018 at 1:07 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Earth is going to be fine, until the Sun explodes or burns out in the next few hundred million  billion years.

Earth survived the ice ages, the comet impact, and it will survive the over population/pollution/warming/cooling that man does.

Man might only have a few thousand years before we run out of food/potable water/places to dump our trash .... so there is still time to find another rock to live on, but getting there will be a mighty challenge. 

Humans will evolve. Perhaps we won't need as much oxygen or water to live on thousands of years from now. Too bad I won't be around to see one of those three titted females.

On 5/7/2018 at 11:29 AM, Whitman said:

Depending upon the accuracy of the Gregorian calendar versus what was used by Hebrew scribes, 2033 is just about the limit for the return of Jesus in my thinking.  No, the earth at this point won't be destroyed, but renewed and returned to it's paradisacal glory.  There is good debate in study of Isaiah, Daniel, Mattthew, and Revelations, about the events before and the timing/duration of these events.

Christ will we ever stop believing in fairy tales?

20 hours ago, 'stache said:

Without making this a CR thread.....well you can figure out what I am thinking....

On 5/7/2018 at 11:01 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Personally, I would say 125-150 years.... then, Ball game

Well clearly it will last well beyond 150 years. Not merely because your assertion is asinine, but also because you’re a gun-jumping jackass who’s publicly embarrassed himself for years. 

11 hours ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

This isn't a direct attack on you, because I'm not sure if serious, but this type of thinking is what fucking kills me when the topic of climate change, etc comes up.  Yes, no one thinks the Earth, as a planet, is actually at risk.  It's a ball of fucking elements.  It will be fine.  From a human point of view, who gives a flying fuck about the actual ground beneath us in the long term.  I happen to like animals a lot more than humans, but I still root for the humans to not die.  I just hate when climate change deniers use the literal "the Earth will live on" argument as an argument as to why we shouldn't worry about continuing to add CO2 to the atmosphere.  Yes, I know, the planet will be fine.  Our way of life that we have cultivated will not.  You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe!......I lost my train of thought.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 1:10 PM, AeroHorn said:

I think the main detriment is actually the consumer economy, where creating new forms of consumption and increasing the number of consumers is seen as the way to increase GDP and improve individual way of life. Many advanced countries have maxed out on individual consumption within and are exporting the same to developing ones (China, India and others). Imagine the horror when a typical Indian or African reaches anywhere near the consumption rate of an American or European.

I think we really need to deeply think about what is development and progress, and what is real upliftment of people. For instance, it is quite paradoxical and sad to see severe depression/opioid abuse among people that are still orders of magnitude better materially than world average.

In this day and age, there is absolutely no excuse for us as species to not work cooperatively in making our lives objectively better without relentlessly driving consumption, which disproportionately profits the 1% in the current multinational corp. setup. There are so many attainable goals of removing hunger, disease and violence across the world, which in turn will stabilize population and greatly reduce adverse effects of resources. Instead we insist on lining up against imaginary lines with guns drawn intent on spreading destruction and misery.

Stable population, minimal disease, no war, peace on earth. Just WTF are we supposed to do then?

Our Creator, His Holiness Of The Many Noodly Appendages didn't put us here to play nice with our cohabitants. We're here to foul the air and water. To subdue and subjugate everything. Animate, inanimate, coneheads, no cones, it don't make a shit. We're just here to set the stage for what's to come. And what's that you ask? Triple breasted dolphins with hands. Bookmark this thread.

On 5/9/2018 at 9:58 PM, Biff Tannen said:

This isn't a direct attack on you, because I'm not sure if serious, but this type of thinking is what fucking kills me when the topic of climate change, etc comes up.  Yes, no one thinks the Earth, as a planet, is actually at risk.  It's a ball of fucking elements.  It will be fine.  From a human point of view, who gives a flying fuck about the actual ground beneath us in the long term.  I happen to like animals a lot more than humans, but I still root for the humans to not die.  I just hate when climate change deniers use the literal "the Earth will live on" argument as an argument as to why we shouldn't worry about continuing to add CO2 to the atmosphere.  Yes, I know, the planet will be fine.  Our way of life that we have cultivated will not.  You couldn't smooth a silk sheet if you had a hot date with a babe!......I lost my train of thought.

No matter what humans as a species do, either cut down all the trees, burn everything...or...become hyper sensitive eco-warriors, humans will become extinct. Just like everything else except for amoeba and some primitive ooze somewhere. Extinction is just the order of things. It has nothing to do with climate change or lack thereof. It has everything to do with just the natural track record of life on this planet. It all goes extinct. Just like humans will.

26 minutes ago, CHEF DIESEL said:

No matter what humans as a species do, either cut down all the trees, burn everything...or...become hyper sensitive eco-warriors, humans will become extinct. Just like everything else except for amoeba and some primitive ooze somewhere. Extinction is just the order of things. It has nothing to do with climate change or lack thereof. It has everything to do with just the natural track record of life on this planet. It all goes extinct. Just like humans will.

That's overly nihilistic.  We may as well just all kill ourselves now in that case.  Every baby born is certainly going to die.  That doesn't mean people should stop having them.  Life is both beautiful and finite.  Eventually the universe itself will end.  That doesn't mean we shouldn't be the best stewards we can be for our tiny part of it.  The only real purpose of life is to survive, both as a species and as an individual.  Make this planet as good as it can be.  Colonize other planets and other solar systems.  When we go extinct, we'll at least have done the best we could.

• Like 2

As the moon is moving away from the Earth at a steady clip millemia after millemia: At what point does the moons gravitational influence cease being an influence ?  

That seems like the beginning of the end of earths life IMO. The core slowly cools and the engine that drives Earth dies. 

On May 11, 2018 at 1:44 PM, CHEF DIESEL said:

If we can do anything to avoid extinction, we should. We should strive to exist long enough to evolve into a higher being, just like our ancestors did for billions of years before us, from all the way back when our ancestors were single cell creatures.