How long does Earth have left?

GreenspointTexas

How much longer do we as a civilization survive on earth? Most predictions ive been reading recently say between 100-200 years left, with most leaning towards 100-125 years

personally, I just dont see how the world can sustain the current population growth. That, coupled with an increase in other factors such as greenhouse gases and the ever growing threat of a pandemic (due to either antibiotic resistant diseases or unfrosted microbes)  make me curious as to what yall think.

I think planet colonization is gonna have to be the way to go, but technology is going to have to be a little more advanced before mass living on another planet

Personally, I would say 125-150 years.... then, Ball game

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Bill Gates recently opined that we are due for a catastrophic pandemic plague that could wipe out 30% of the population.  That might be a good reset button.

But as a species, I think we will continue for thousands, or tens of thousands, of years.  

21 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Bill Gates recently opined that we are due for a catastrophic pandemic plague that could wipe out 30% of the population.  That might be a good reset button.

But as a species, I think we will continue for thousands, or tens of thousands, of years.  

I'm in this camp.  I think we'll see, likely in the next 30-50 years, a pandemic similar to the Black Plague where we lose 25-40% of global population.  "Life finds a way". 

Depending upon the accuracy of the Gregorian calendar versus what was used by Hebrew scribes, 2033 is just about the limit for the return of Jesus in my thinking.  No, the earth at this point won't be destroyed, but renewed and returned to it's paradisacal glory.  There is good debate in study of Isaiah, Daniel, Mattthew, and Revelations, about the events before and the timing/duration of these events.

• Fuck You 1

I always think of everything that is a cause of death that wasn’t previously. New diseaseas, increased prevalence of diseases, unforeseen events of terror, war, drugs, etc.

I also think about how for the first time in human history life expectancy is decreasing which is greatly correlated with what we eat. Dr Younan Nowzaradan talks about this in his obesity practice/studies.

9 minutes ago, Whitman said:

Depending upon the accuracy of the Gregorian calendar versus what was used by Hebrew scribes, 2033 is just about the limit for the return of Jesus in my thinking.  No, the earth at this point won't be destroyed, but renewed and returned to it's paradisacal glory.  There is good debate in study of Isaiah, Daniel, Mattthew, and Revelations, about the events before and the timing/duration of these events.

Looking forward to the 2034 backpedaling 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DaggerHorns said:

I always think of everything that is a cause of death that wasn’t previously. New diseaseas, increased prevalence of diseases, unforeseen events of terror, war, drugs, etc.

I also think about how for the first time in human history life expectancy is decreasing which is greatly correlated with what we eat. Dr Younan Nowzaradan talks about this in his obesity practice/studies.

But balance that with advancement in technology and general intelligence.  It may well be a wash

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We don't know or understand a fucking thing about the future other than it will be a lot different than any of us predict. We're a narcissistic species with a terribad case of myopia and self-importance. Earth will look a lot like it does now well into the future, at a macro-level. A fucking nuclear holocaust would hit a human reset button and largely do nothing to the earth and its climate beyond a decade-ish chill. 120-150 years is an insignificant speck on the ass of this rock's life. Hell, 500,000 years of human development is basically nothing in the course of the earth's history. We fundamentally do not understand chaos at a cosmic level, nor the infinitesimal impact our existence has on it. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, F250 said:

It doesn't matter, we are a computer simulation, none of this is real.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Heres Tom with the Weather.
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Whitman said:

what does the book of mormon have to say about it.

i can't imagine a world that humans don't blow up with nukes. its just in our nature to destroy shit. i can't see a war breaking out and then no one using the best shit to combat it

lets see what bill has to say on the issue

Edited by staboner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I think planet colonization is gonna have to be the way to go, but technology is going to have to be a little more advanced before mass living on another planet

According to our president, we're getting very big in space.

Edited by South Austin

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

We don't know or understand a fucking thing about the future other than it will be a lot different than any of us predict. We're a narcissistic species with a terribad case of myopia and self-importance. Earth will look a lot like it does now well into the future, at a macro-level. A fucking nuclear holocaust would hit a human reset button and largely do nothing to the earth and its climate beyond a decade-ish chill. 120-150 years is an insignificant speck on the ass of this rock's life. Hell, 500,000 years of human development is basically nothing in the course of the earth's history. We fundamentally do not understand chaos at a cosmic level, nor the infinitesimal impact our existence has on it. 

I was going to express this sentiment, but with maybe a touch more sarcasm. 

But yes, nothing humanity will or can do means shit in the long run, anyone who says otherwise is fear mongering to advance their crazy ass agenda. 

Earth will have left as long as Earth has right, but the question is absurd because Earth has neither left nor right, creatures and objects on Earth have left and right. Earth has North, South, East, and West. West is shown as left on most of our maps, but that is completely arbitrary.

Human civilization isn’t going anywhere. Wars, plagues, etc. may slow us down, but humans have the intelligence to adapt, procreate and ultimately survive. 

The Black Death plague killed 30-60% of the entire population of Europe over roughly a decade. Humans survived though. In the aftermath, the overall standard of living rose dramatically. Fewer people competing for the same level of resources. 

On a long enough time scale though, humanity is fucked. In a few billion years, the Sun will become a red giant and envelop the Earth. Long before that happens though, the Sun’s temperature will rise to point where all of Earth’s water evaporates. 

Bernard

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bernard said:

On a long enough time scale though, humanity is fucked. In a few billion years, the Sun will become a red giant and envelop the Earth. Long before that happens though, the Sun’s temperature will rise to point where all of Earth’s water evaporates. 

And aggy still won't have won a football championship.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why are you speaking from the perspective of the Earth? The only perspective that matters is ours. And from our perspective, our impact on the Earth stopped being insignificant a long time ago.

• Like 1

Earth is going to be fine, until the Sun explodes or burns out in the next few hundred million  billion years.

Earth survived the ice ages, the comet impact, and it will survive the over population/pollution/warming/cooling that man does.

Man might only have a few thousand years before we run out of food/potable water/places to dump our trash .... so there is still time to find another rock to live on, but getting there will be a mighty challenge. Unless Musk builds a interstellar hyperloop between Earth and Alpha Centuri.
Then again I hope that interstellar travel isn't the modern version of the Tower of Babel (see Ted Chiang - Tower of Babylon from Stories of your Life and Others)

http://gws.soonlabel.com/misc/Ted Chiang - Tower Of Babylon.pdf
(note I was going to like that to the book board, but I just noticed that didn't make in the relocation ... learn something new everyday)

22 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Why are you speaking from the perspective of the Earth? The only perspective that matters is ours. And from our perspective, our impact on the Earth stopped being insignificant a long time ago.

I recommend reading the thread title. As well, pick up on the theme in the original post, positing that we'd have to leave earth eventually, and soon, because of all of the woeful damage we are doing, making the planet unstable/unsustainable for life. I responded in that context and I recommend it to others as something they should practice doing as well, but you do you, man.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

How much longer do we as a civilization survive on earth? Most predictions ive been reading recently say between 100-200 years left, with most leaning towards 100-125 years

personally, I just dont see how the world can sustain the current population growth. That, coupled with an increase in other factors such as greenhouse gases and the ever growing threat of a pandemic (due to either antibiotic resistant diseases or unfrosted microbes)  make me curious as to what yall think.

Personally, I would say 125-150 years.... then, Ball game

So...game over?

1 hour ago, po elvis said:

what does the book of mormon have to say about it.

Not much.  It (Joseph Smith's imagination) stuck mostly to pre-Columbian history in the Book of Mormon.  Mormon prophecy about end times was more centered in the D&C and with early church leaders teachings and also the KJV of the Bible.

PS:  For those wondering and hadn't seen my posts about it at Shaggy, yes, there was a long period of my life where I was Mormon (until 2003).  My ex was from Salt Lake, I was married in the temple and served in several Bishopricks and Branch Presidencies.  I used to sign temple recommends for members denoting worthiness.  Obviously not anymore.  

Edited by Whitman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

What crazy shit are you reading?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I recommend reading the thread title. As well, pick up on the theme in the original post, positing that we'd have to leave earth eventually, and soon, because of all of the woeful damage we are doing, making the planet unstable/unsustainable for life. I responded in that context and I recommend it to others as something they should practice doing as well, but you do you, man.

OP didn't say anything about the planet becoming unsustainable for life. He asked about it becoming unsustainable for human life (or maybe civilization) due to various factors. You responded with a non-answer about geologic time.

You complain that we are a narcissist species, then give a narcissistic answer to a question that we should all be thinking about.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurch said:

But balance that with advancement in technology and general intelligence.  It may well be a wash

Technology may be advancing, but I'm pretty sure general intelligence is going the other way.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

According to our president, we're getting very big in space.

That's pretty bold talk for a one eyed fat man a country that doesn't have a single vessel capable of putting a man is space.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Basically governments are afraid to limit reproduction because of Hitler.  It's seen as barbaric I guess.  

What every nation needs is a birth license.  High school diploma, good credit, and pass a multi choice exam.  Only after those requirements are met is someone eligible for the child lottery.  

27 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Basically governments are afraid to limit reproduction because of Hitler.  It's seen as barbaric I guess.  

What every nation needs is a birth license.  High school diploma, good credit, and pass a multi choice exam.  Only after those requirements are met is someone eligible for the child lottery.  

I think it's more important to be able to revoke the license at any time, for good reason. For those already born, that is.

Edited by Bat Guano

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Earth will have left as long as Earth has right, but the question is absurd because Earth has neither left nor right, creatures and objects on Earth have left and right. Earth has North, South, East, and West. West is shown as left on most of our maps, but that is completely arbitrary.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

If we wanted to, we could build a system that would protect the future of human life, even if all human life was exterminated by some catastrophic event or series of events. Store lots of sperm and egg samples. Build incubators.  Create a system that could detect when the earth's environment is again ready for habitation, if ever. Give birth to human babies. Raise them by robots. Teach them as they grow older. Give them all the latest technology that we have accrued. It wouldn't be too long that human civilization is able to become something as we know now on a smaller scale.

13 minutes ago, po elvis said:

If we wanted to, we could build a system that would protect the future of human life, even if all human life was exterminated by some catastrophic event or series of events. Store lots of sperm and egg samples. Build incubators.  Create a system that could detect when the earth's environment is again ready for habitation, if ever. Give birth to human babies. Raise them by robots. Teach them as they grow older. Give them all the latest technology that we have accrued. It wouldn't be too long that human civilization is able to become something as we know now on a smaller scale.

They did this on an episode of Star Trek I think.