Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I thought by now it would be the Gaston and Moore show down low but the senior Ebo is still dominating the post minutes. Moore and Hunter have been way slower to develop than I thought they would, both were injured early but should have had plenty of time to get going, but that doesn't appear to be happening. You can see Vic try to work them in, but the games right now are so important he goes back to the experienced players quickly.

I originally thought Shay Holle was a “nice” player but now she looks to be a very important piece going forward, far more skilled than I thought. You can see her confidence growing each game and moving into the starting lineup and getting on the Vic weekly show can only help.

I honestly thought we'd be lucky to have Warren 60% of the games but she has been in every contest. She seems to be playing a bit less reckless and maybe the collar is helping as well.

We are starting to peak at the right time, some players are getting better and it looks like Vic has this team figured out now. Love us getting back on D, that was a real problem and good for 4 to 8 points a game.  We have 5 very doable games to get rolling leading into the post season. If we keep above the #16 mark that should get us into the second weekend which would be my goal for this squad.

As long as we are not playing f’ing Baylor I feel really good about this team.

minutes2.jpg

Holle's career path is about what I expect with most FR under Schaefer. Harmon is an anomaly with Schaefer. 

Young players don't know how to play defense in his system which is why they don't get on the court. As we've seen with Holle, just learn how to play in his system and you can be a good player. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Something also funny to me about recruiting is the top national recruit in the '25 class is probably from Lubbock. 

You don't see that often. 

I guess Tech's pitch to keep her home will be something something Sheryl Swoopes 1993 national championship. Also just learned Sheryl Swoopes is now 50 years old and I feel ancient 

Edited by perfectchaos007
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

#12 Tenn gets beat by Alabama and possibly lost Horston with a broken arm. That poor team can’t catch a break. 

Tina Thompson got her first ACC win of the year over Duke. Celeste had 11 points in the loss, but went 0-6 BTA. Probably killed Duke’s NCAAT chances. Bad bad loss 

And UNCheat just edged #3 Louisville 

Can someone please tell me why Anissa Gutierrez doesn't have her name on the back
of her jersey? The LHN made fun of that the last game but I bet her parents didn't think it was funny.
Seems really callous and disrespectful. That's D3 school stuff.  She's on the Big 12 Conference Commissioner's Honor Roll for outstanding achievement for
the Fall 2021 semester.

anissa3.jpg

The perspective in that photo is hilarious af. 

But also there's been issues with jerseys and stuff - I assume supply chain issues.  VB setter SKT didn't get her jersey for like a month or two.  

Edited by Js1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Holle's career path is about what I expect with most FR under Schaefer. Harmon is an anomaly with Schaefer. 

Young players don't know how to play defense in his system which is why they don't get on the court. As we've seen with Holle, just learn how to play in his system and you can be a good player. 

I just remembered Moore was the B12 Preseason Freshman of the Year. I'm sure this is not shaping up to be the year she was hoping for.

"Baylor's NaLyssa Smith was voted Big 12 Women's Basketball Preseason Player of the Year for a second-straight season, as the conference released its preseason awards Wednesday. Smith's teammate Jordan Lewis was picked as Preseason Newcomer of the Year and Texas' Aaliyah Moore took Preseason Freshman of the Year honors."

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I just remembered Moore was the B12 Preseason Freshman of the Year.

Yeah, in hindsight, I think it was just Moore's ranking (#6), which was the highest in the Big 12 in the 2021 HoopGurlz rankings.  Rori was #10, Hunter was #22 and Lattimore was #38 and then you have to go all the way down to #54 Jaelyn Glenn to find the highest ranked non-Texas player.  

I'd say POY is between Ayoka Lee and NaLyssa Smith; Freshman of the Year is between Rori Harmon and Serena Sundell; Newcomer of the Year is probably Jordan Lewis, but Aaliyah Matharu may get some votes. 

In Big 12 play, Texas is now:

#4 in offense (73.4 ppg)
#1 in defense (56.5 ppg)
#1 in scoring margin (+16.9 ppg)
#6 in FG% (43.2%)
#3 in OPP FG% (37.9%)
#5 in 3PFG% (35.2%)
#1 in OPP 3PFG% (26.4%)
#9 in FT% (66.5%)
#4 in OPP FT% (75.5%)
#1 in offensive rebounds (15.1 per game)
#3 in rebounding margin (+4.4)
#6 in turnovers per game (15.2)
#1 in opponents turnovers per game (22.2)
#1 in turnover margin (+7.04)
#2 in steals (10.13 per game)

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Somebody is going to get an insane talent. Chavez is special. 

One of my first thoughts was that her release is a little slow. Then I realized she's a freshman. 

Yeah - she's gonna be really fucking good. That ball handling is advanced.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pancho said:

3 seed in Crème’s updated bracketology. 

Nawf Carolina would be the 6 seed coming to Austin

Spokane Regional with Stanford as the 1, Michigan as the 2.

Highly unlikely we can displace Baylor.  ISU needs to win out to keep their 2 seed, I think.  I think if Texas wins out and ISU does not (meaning a loss to Baylor probably), our 2 head to head wins might grab us their 2 seed. Arizona is the other 2, who is probably safe there.  

23 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Highly unlikely we can displace Baylor.  ISU needs to win out to keep their 2 seed, I think.  I think if Texas wins out and ISU does not (meaning a loss to Baylor probably), our 2 head to head wins might grab us their 2 seed. Arizona is the other 2, who is probably safe there.  

Only chance of us getting a higher seed than Baylor is If we get another crack at Baylor in the big 12 tournament and win, (and then go on to win the Big 12 tournament)

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Only chance of us getting a higher seed than Baylor is If we get another crack at Baylor in the big 12 tournament and win, (and then go on to win the Big 12 tournament)

Yeah our best shot at a 2 is either a Baylor collapse, a Big 12 tournament title or ISU taking another L and the committee giving it to us based on 2 H2H wins over ISU.  Fennelly doesn’t wanna face Vic in the conference tournament, know that 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

But also there's been issues with jerseys and stuff - I assume supply chain issues.  VB setter SKT didn't get her jersey for like a month or two.  

We are 24 weeks in, that's crazy but considering current affairs quite possible.

I'm betting if Rickea got flirty with us they could have a jersey with "Jackson" on the back of it
that day to show her how good she looks in burnt orange. Hell, they may already have it on the 40.  😄

Game 25: #14/14 Texas (18-6, 8-5 Big 12) vs West Virginia (11-12, 4-9 Big 12)

Sunday, Feb. 20, 2022 – 11:00 a.m. Central
WVU Coliseum (14,000) – Morgantown, W. Va.

GameDay Quick Facts:
• TELEVISION: The game will be televised nationally on ESPN 2. John Brickley (pxp) and Kelly Gramlich (analyst) will call the action.
• RADIO: 105.3 The Bat broadcasts every UT game on the statewide network. Craig Way (pxp) will call the action. Check TexasSports.com for a listing of affiliates carrying the game.
• SERIES: Texas leads, 14-10. Last meeting: Texas 73-57 (Jan. 15 , 2022; Austin).

LEADING IN: The No. 14/14 Texas Women's Basketball team will hit the road this weekend as it travels to Morgantown to square off with West Virginia on Sunday (11:00 a.m. CT, ESPN 2). The Longhorns are riding a three-game win streak entering Sunday's tilt including dominant 73-48 victory over No. 6/5 Iowa State at home on Wednesday. The Mountaineers are coming off 74-63 loss at Kansas in their last matchup.
THE SERIES: Texas and West Virginia will meet for the 25th time overall on Sunday. The Longhorns own a 14-10 advantage over the Mountaineers in the all-time series and are 6-4 in their last 10 meetings. Texas took down WVU 73-56 at home in their first meeting of the season (Jan. 15).

OFFENSE CLICKING:  Scoring points and finding consistent shooting has been an issue for the Longhorns throughout much of Big 12 Conference schedule, but have started to find a rhythm on offense over their last two contests.

With just one 70-plus point outing through their first 11 league matchups, the Longhorns have recorded 78 and 73 points, respectively, in their last to victories over Oklahoma and Iowa State and have shot a collective 48.8 percent from the field. Texas is 12-1 when scoring 70 or more points in a game this season.

WONDERFUL WARREN:  Senior guard Audrey Warren has been in a grove as of last and has settled into her role as the primary option off of the bench for the Longhorns. Over the last three games, the Fort Worth native has averaged 16.3 points per game while shooting 50 percent from the floor. She's also continued to make her presence felt on the defensive end leading the time with nine steal while averaging five rebounds over the three-game stretch.

THE SCHAEFER FORMULA: Longhorn head coach Vic Schaefer makes no secret in the way his teams have found success over the years. Relentless full court defensive pressure, attention to detail, and limiting turnovers and mistakes have been built in to the identity of his programs. The 2021-22 Longhorns are no different ranking among the best in the country in several defensive categories.  UT currently ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 32 in the NCAA holding opponents to just 56.5 points per game. They also lead the league and rank No. 11 nationally in turnovers forced at 22.2 per contest and rank No. 6 in turnover margin at 7.04.

SCOUTING THE MOUNTAINEERS:  West Virginia has had an up and down 2021-22 campaign thus far and have found themselves in a late season slump as they have dropped their last four contests. At 4-9 overall in Big 12 action, the Mountaineers currently sit in seventh place in the league standings heading into Sunday's matchup.

WVU is averaging 67.2 points per game offensively this season while holding opponents to 66.1 per contest. West Virginia is led offensively by junior guard KK Deans who ranks No. 9 in the conference at 14.5 points per game. Esmery Martinez is the teams' second-leading scorer averaging 10.5 points per contest. She also leads the team on the glass and ranks No.6 in the Big 12 averaging 8.1 rebounds per game.

NEXT: Following Sunday's matchup, Texas will remain on the road on as they head to Kansas State next Wednesday, Feb. 23, to take on Wildcats (6:30 p.m. CT, ESPN +) before returning home on Saturday, Feb. 26, to host TCU (7 p.m. CT, LHN).

schedulewv.jpg

roster.jpg

OU has now lost 3 in a row after ISU took care of business last night.  Baylor and ISU tied atop the standings at 11-3. Winner of that game in Ames is probably winning the conference

ISU: at KU, Tech, Baylor, at WV

Baylor: at OSU, KU, at ISU, Texas Tech

OU and Texas tied in the loss column with 5. KU has 4 losses but they have the hardest schedule left, by far:  ISU, at Baylor, Texas, at OU.

Texas wins 67-58. WV outshot Texas (47-45%) but Texas 19-22 at the line, won turnover battle, +9 on the boards and WV committed more fouls. 

Harmon another stellar game - 19 points, 8 boards, 7 assists.  Really coming into her own here

Gaston chipped in 13 and Warren 11. Matharu 8 points and 5 boards 

• Hook 'Em 1

Some Rori love in this week's power rankings:

Player of the Week: Rori Harmon, Texas Longhorns

After three consecutive losses -- two of them to nemesis Baylor -- the Longhorns have gotten back on track with four victories in a row. Freshman guard Harmon led the way this past week with a combined 39 points, 14 rebounds 16 assists and nine steals in victories over No. 6 Iowa State and West Virginia.

"We've got some young kids playing a lot of minutes and they're getting better," Texas coach Vic Schaefer said. "I'm excited for our kids; they have a chance to do something special."

Texas up to #9 in the ESPNW Power Rankings - Baylor is a very soft #4, I think, in terms of being higher than Louisville.  ISU is #10 and OU is in the "waiting room" (next up after the top 16) 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice 4 win stretch...

Wed, 2/9
@TTUTTU
W61-56 16-6 (6-5)      
Sat, 2/12
vsOU12 OU
W78-63 17-6 (7-5)      
Wed, 2/16
vsISU6 ISU
W73-48 18-6 (8-5)      
Sun, 2/20