Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

22 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I believe it was just one WBB player -- one of Texas Tech's best players.  It's still funny. After Gerlich went on that tirade about Vic not being a great role model it has to sting when one of your best players transfers to Texas. 

karma's a bitch  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

I don't know the roster as well as everyone else but I thought both those JUCO players that didn't play much last year might transfer. The other one is Masudi correct? 

When Vic said "we might not be done yet" my initial thought was somebody is about to be nudged out the door with no scholarship room. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

42 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I don't know the roster as well as everyone else but I thought both those JUCO players that didn't play much last year might transfer. The other one is Masudi correct? 

When Vic said "we might not be done yet" my initial thought was somebody is about to be nudged out the door with no scholarship room. 

We actually had 1 scholarship open still before Kobe decided to leave. JUCOs usually get 2 year ships so they were both likely gone after 2023 regardless but now there’s some breathing room 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Has anybody figured out who Vic might have been referring to with his comments about not being done yet? 

Doesn't seem like it's something he would say unless he felt good about landing another transfer. 

There’s a couple intriguing guards - a BYU transfer and Gabby Connelly who took a year off and is from SA

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/17/2022 at 8:18 AM, Js1 said:

There’s a couple intriguing guards - a BYU transfer and Gabby Connelly who took a year off and is from SA

BYU transfer Shaylee Gonzales is reportedly down to Texas, Oregon State and NC State

9B5614BF-FA3A-4FB8-BF92-D60F76396F8C.png

• Hook 'Em 2

If we got Gonzales, I could see it's because Vic sold her on starting, which reads line starting 5 / second team of:

Harmon / Hunter
Morris / Matharu
Gonzales / Holle
Moore / Gaston
Jones / Faye

That is a salty starting 5 - one of the best PGs in the country (sophomore), two 5th year seniors (Morris/Gonzales), one the top emerging players from last year (Moore) and a player with 2+ seasons under her belt (Jones).  Even of our second team would be a sophomore, 3 juniors and a senior. 

Matharu off the bench, which become her primary role this past year - Vic should be selling her on a potential 6th Player of the Year type of role for 2022-23.  Pretty solid 10 player lineup without using our freshman, who will be either rehabbing injuries (Codio) or adapting to the speed of the college game/Vic's defense (Jak and Muhammad). 

And as we saw last year, you can come in with a ton of accolades (Hunter) and still not play if you don't figure out the playbook/ learn how to play Vic's defense.  Not every freshman is a Harmon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

53 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not every freshman is a Harmon. 

Ha! No they are not.

I am very pleased but shocked we're in contention for Shaylee. She is the much bigger get than Gabby and if she comes she has two years left
so I would expect some roster attrition from her coming. Other than shooting very poorly from 3 last year (.227) she puts up great numbers.
She's a WNBA talent level player at 5'10" averaging 18 ppg and almost 5 assists per game. Holy hells if we get her we are really knocking on the natty door.

She would require big minutes however and Rori's not giving up any of hers So I would expect Gonzales in the 2-3 spots and maybe backing up Harmon when she sits for
the 10 seconds Vic allows her on the bench.

Picking up Gabby would be great too, 5'6" one year rental averaging 2.5 assists per game and shooting .382 from 3. I would really like some sharp shooters
on the perimeter next year to free up the beast core we have now down in the paint. I have not heard she has shown any interest in UT but Vic saying he's not done makes me think he is working on the guards now.

Kobe leaving made me think how much the transfer portal has changed the lives of the athletes. It creates instability for the coaches for sure
but unless you are a coveted talent and in the drivers seat you are at the mercy of the portal each year if you want to play. Don't unpack all yer stuff.

Hopefully we pick up another guard/wing but anyway you look at it this is a solid club next year.

I was reminded that the NCAA format changes next year to 2 regional sites - Greenville and Spokane (for 2023).  Two one-seeds are assigned to each regional, but they don't play each other until the Final Four. 

Winners to Dallas.  We have to get this damn Final Four in 2023 - it's right in our backyard. 

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Texas adding the WCC player of the year would have to make this a top 3 preseason team wouldn't you think? 

It's already a top 5 team and then adding another legitimate scorer? I can't see many teams being better than Texas but I'm a novice when it comes to women's basketball.

Top 3 or 4.

SC, UConn and then you can coin flip Tree/Texas. I know Tenn is currently ahead of us, but they gotta prove it in my mind. The Hulls are gone for Tree and Jones/Faye/Morris/Gonzales are a big big upgrade over Ebo/Warren/JAT. 

Gonzales was originally linked to Stanford but either she didn’t get in or decided against them. Because they still need a full time PG

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Does anybody have a rundown of recruiting for the upcoming classes?

I don't keep up with recruiting. I know there's a really tall player in one these future classes. 

HoopGurlz #23, 34 and 6’9 Boutilier, who may be a bit of a project.  In the running for #5, #8 and #10

If Gonzales is looking to market herself and the decision is down to Texas, Oregon State, and NC State this should be an easy decision. 

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2022/6/22/23179308/byu-basketball-shaylee-gonzales-utah-gymnastics-grace-mccallum-most-marketable-ncaa-women-athletes

Spoiler

Gonzales, the BYU women’s basketball star who is in the transfer portal, and McCallum, a current standout in gymnastics at the University of Utah, are considered two of the top 10 most marketable women in all of NCAA sports right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

For those that follow the team closely what happens with Hunter if Texas lands Gonzales? I remember reading something about her not being happy about playing time earlier last season. 

That would be two good transfer guards plus Harmon and Matharu correct? 

If Hunter was upset about playing time last year I don't know how that's going to work out. You can't turn down the WCC player of the year so I fully understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

There's a rumor that Ahlise Hurst might be transferring to Texas. I don't know if it's true but Vic looks like he's going all in on next years team. 

https://goducks.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/ahlise-hurst/11374

Ahlise is Rori's partner.  She's been in Austin hanging out with Rori, but I don't think she's transferring here. 

14 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Maybe the rumor at Inside Texas was just that. A rumor. 

Imagine someone there just keeps seeing Ahlise in Rori's insta stories and assumes. 

I don't think Vic would want that dynamic.  And she's not in the portal.  

10 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I went to Shaylee Gonzales instagram page and she's now following Logan Eggleston, Blair Schaefer, and Sydney Carter. 

That one might be public soon if I know how follows work. I am an old that sucks with technology so maybe I'm looking at it wrong. 

Her and Logan should be comparing NIL notes. 

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I can’t imagine it’s generally a good idea to have people in a relationship on the same team.   Same issues could emerge as workplace relationships. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Imagine someone there just keeps seeing Ahlise in Rori's insta stories and assumes. 

I don't think Vic would want that dynamic.  And she's not in the portal.  

I agree it is a difficult dynamic. I imagine Vic would prefer that dynamic not be present.  But it is very much a dynamic and not something Vic is stopping.

9 hours ago, someguy said:

I agree it is a difficult dynamic. I imagine Vic would prefer that dynamic not be present.  But it is very much a dynamic and not something Vic is stopping.

Man, this is hard to believe. Hopefully it's a summer agreement to make everyone happy.

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

Man, this is hard to believe. Hopefully it's a summer agreement to make everyone happy.

Just to be clear, I was speaking in generalities.  I did not intend to comment on Harmon and any possibility of Hurst transferring.  I know nothing on that front.  I was just chiming in to say that romantic relationships are and have been a reality on the team.  There is no need to go into specifics.  I agree such dynamics are fraught with danger for reasons similar to workplace romances.  Handling those dynamics is a reality of coaching - especially coaching college athletes.  In addition to NIL becoming a bigger force, learning how to manage behind the scenes drama is almost as important as X's and O's.  Vic seems to handle that side of things well by having a tough culture (and you see players shuffle through who are not culture fits).  White, on the other hand, seemed totally caught off guard and the drama absolutely tanked the season until their backs were against the wall and the focus went back to winning.  Hopefully he learned some things this season, because what happened last season can't happen again.

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, someguy said:

Just to be clear, I was speaking in generalities.  I did not intend to comment on Harmon and any possibility of Hurst transferring.  I know nothing on that front.  I was just chiming in to say that romantic relationships are and have been a reality on the team.  There is no need to go into specifics.  I agree such dynamics are fraught with danger for reasons similar to workplace romances.  Handling those dynamics is a reality of coaching - especially coaching college athletes.  In addition to NIL becoming a bigger force, learning how to manage behind the scenes drama is almost as important as X's and O's.  Vic seems to handle that side of things well by having a tough culture (and you see players shuffle through who are not culture fits).  White, on the other hand, seemed totally caught off guard and the drama absolutely tanked the season until their backs were against the wall and the focus went back to winning.  Hopefully he learned some things this season, because what happened last season can't happen again.

Interesting.

Regardless, Hurst is not transferring to Texas. She has either gotten her degree from Oregon and is very close to it where she doesn't need summer classes, so makes sense she has the summer off to spend with Rori in Austin.  

TBH, Vic probably has no issue with her around. I wonder if she's allowed to work out with the team if Oregon lets her. 

And zero surprise about the drama with softball.  God damn, that was a mess of a team until they got it together.  Hopefully Mike learned.  Sounds like similar drama plagued Bama this year too.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

Yeah, I don't see Hurst joining the team for a number of reasons, but I'm still very hopeful for Shaylee.

I would think Texas would be an attractive coaching destination for any young coach, Vic has a winning reputation and he has
had a number of assistants go on to be head coaches. Somehow I don't think he is striking out on candidates, I think it's more
a matter of timing and reshuffling what he has now.

We did have an unprecedented number of positions to fill (except when we changed head coaches). The lack of coaches named didn't appear to stop his ability to get good players.

The staff directory:

phone.jpg