Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

On 4/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, someguy said:

Vic runs a tough program and it isn't for everyone.  There was a lot of drama behind the scenes during the season and I expect some transfers.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Ok something might be wrong 

Perhaps @someguy will further opine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, torre said:

Perhaps @someguy will further opine.

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but expected it to happen.

I can't/won't say much on a public board, but Lattimore needs to figure out if she is serious about her commitment to basketball.  Not a good culture fit. 

I also expect at least one more.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

Feels like Vic knows he can win a NC at Texas. He’s not getting any older, and Souf Carolina is miles ahead of anyone right now save for maybe UConn and that’s iffy. 

Texas has everything to be a Souf Carolina or greater. Vic knows this. Sounds like if you don’t want to compete for a NC, well bye.

Same for Beard

8 hours ago, someguy said:

I was hoping this wouldn't happen, but expected it to happen.

I can't/won't say much on a public board, but Lattimore needs to figure out if she is serious about her commitment to basketball.  Not a good culture fit. 

I also expect at least one more.

This sounds like it's an individual player problem and not a program systemic issue which was the greater worry. Trust in Vic.

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

This sounds like it's an individual player problem and not a program systemic issue which was the greater worry. Trust in Vic.

If you don't take it seriously, Vic isn't going to keep you around.  That's not his MO.  Players who aren't committed to the goal don't last long; even more now because it's so easy to enter the portal. 

My (current) portal needs:

• A 6'4 or taller post player
  • A one year rental at the guard spot (someone looking to get their master's and play behind Rori)
  • A taller wing (like 6'1 or 6'2) who can score
  • Another 6'3 or 6'4 PF

I think Amina Muhammad might be the most ready for the 2022ers - Codio is recovering from an injury, so unsure how much playing time she gets in 2022-23, and I think Jak will take some time to adjust to college ball, since she played in South Dakota.  Muhammad is a lot like Lattimore - 6'3 who can play wing/forward/post and she played at DeSoto, so big time Texas ball. 

Point guard: Rori/Hunter/transfer
Shooting guard: Mathru/Hunter
SF: Holle/Codio/wing
PF: Muhammad/Jak
P: Moore/transfer/Gaston (SORRY DEE!)

We now have 4 open ships with Lattimore leaving.  

Edited by Js1

41 minutes ago, Js1 said:

If you don't take it seriously, Vic isn't going to keep you around.  That's not his MO.  Players who aren't committed to the goal don't last long; even more now because it's so easy to enter the portal. 

My (current) portal needs:

• A 6'4 or taller post player
  • A one year rental at the guard spot (someone looking to get their master's and play behind Rori)
  • A taller wing (like 6'1 or 6'2) who can score
  • Another 6'3 or 6'4 PF

I think Amina Muhammad might be the most ready for the 2022ers - Codio is recovering from an injury, so unsure how much playing time she gets in 2022-23, and I think Jak will take some time to adjust to college ball, since she played in South Dakota.  Muhammad is a lot like Lattimore - 6'3 who can play wing/forward/post and she played at DeSoto, so big time Texas ball. 

Point guard: Rori/Hunter/transfer
Shooting guard: Mathru/Hunter
SF: Holle/Codio/wing
PF: Muhammad/Jak
P: Moore/transfer

We now have 4 open ships with Lattimore leaving.  

Great post.

I thought Jordana might redshirt due to the meniscus surgery .  Don't forget Gaston, unless we lost her too..  🙄

I guess you aren't counting on much from Kobe or Femme, I'm not either.

I was hoping Jak would be ready to roll, she is the bigger get and looks very skilled. Seems to have the right work ethic. The players right now really seem to need to be the top dog at their position immediately or they want to move on. Grass isn't always greener and it takes time to develop your game at the college level. Pick a great coach and great program and at give it at least 2 years and see.

I wonder if there are any programs calling up kids and getting them to transfer...

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Great post.

I thought Jordana might redshirt due to the meniscus surgery .  Don't forget Gaston, unless we lost her too..  🙄

I guess you aren't counting on much from Kobe or Femme, I'm not either.

I was hoping Jak would be ready to roll, she is the bigger get and looks very skilled. Seems to have the right work ethic. The players right now really seem to need to be the top dog at their position immediately or they want to move on. Grass isn't always greener and it takes time to develop your game at the college level. Pick a great coach and great program and at give it at least 2 years and see.

I wonder if there are any programs calling up kids and getting them to transfer...

Oh yeah, Gaston.  Haha, can't believe I forgot about her!  

And no, I don't think there's direct tampering - just what's been going, through backchannels (former players, AAU coaches, HS coaches, etc). 

• Hook 'Em 1

I hate that the student is mostly gone from the "student athlete" equation, but Texas has had an issue with student athletes in many programs that are less serious about the athletics aspect of it and sometimes not even that serious about the student part and are mostly serious about being at Texas and running around Austin

I am glad to have some coaches that look to be addressing that now that the NIL is out there and the student part is pretty much a joke most places.....but I do wonder how this will play out for women's sports as opposed to men's sports considering the chance to "go pro in something that is sports" is so much more limited for women athletes and I think most of them do not start from an early age fucking off most of life and education because they can "ball out" (or tell themselves they can and if not they can drop those lyrics)

I know Mulkey ran a hard ass program and you have to wonder if that played a part in leaving Baylor along with NIL issues

I do not know a lot about Luigi Auriemma, but I would not be surprised if he is nicer and lets the assistants be the hard asses....of course it could be the exact opposite like it usually is

Tara VanDerveer does not look like a hard ass and I don't think Pat Summit was although I am sure they can call players out especially at this point, but something tells me the assistants do a lot of ass chewing....I think Jody C was probably pretty soft considering how soft she is now and same with Marsha Sharp....all on this list are of course mostly from a different time and of course only one is still coaching and one has passed away :(

I would imagine Dawn Staley is a hard ass but she has the "been there done that" factor in her favor

it will be interesting to see if women's sports responds differently to NIL money and if one coaching style takes over more than another

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Shot 50-176 from 3 this year for .284% so not great.

In-home visits with the coaches from Arizona, Kansas State, Duke, and Utah.

"New Arizona women’s basketball head coach Adia Barnes (from  OSU) did not waste any time. The Wildcats’ season ended on Monday, and she was already visiting possible transfers by the weekend. First in her sights is Oklahoma State junior guard Lauren Fields, and Barnes has a crucial advantage over other coaches.

According to a tweet by her father, Barnes and assistant coach Ashley Davis visited the Fields family in Oklahoma. Davis was on the staff of former OSU head coach Jim Littell for six years before coming to Arizona prior to last season. Littell and the Cowgirls parted ways on March 7.

Fields led the team with 15.4 points per game last season. That placed her sixth in the Big XII for points per game. Her 1.9 3-point field goals made also ranked sixth in the Big XII.

Fields would bring more than just scoring to Arizona. Although she’s just 5-foot-9, she was third on her team with 4.1 rebounds per game. As a sophomore, she had 3.3 assists per game and a 1.76 assist-to-turnover ratio, but both of those numbers dropped during her junior season.

Fields’ drive on the defensive end of the floor in something that will be crucial if she decides to come to Arizona. Her 2.5 steals per game put her in the 99th percentile in Division I women’s basketball.

Fields ended the season with 67 total steals. That would have put her in first on the 2021-22 Arizona roster by a wide margin. The Wildcats were led by Helena Pueyo, who had 50 total steals this season."

Arizona went 21 - 8 last year and lost in the second round badly to North Carolina.

"Oklahoma State's Lauren Fields was honored on Monday with the announcement of the Big 12's women's basketball awards, earning second-team honors it was revealed by the league office.
A junior from Shawnee, Okla., Fields ranks among the league leaders in several categories. With her 15.8 points per game, Fields ranks sixth among league players. She is second with her 2.5 steals per game, seventh in field-goal percentage (.331) and 13th in free-throw percentage (.636).
Additionally, she ranks ninth with her 1.8 made 3-pointers per contest, 13th at 0.84 blocks per game and fourth in minutes played at 34.97 per contest.
Her steals per game average ranks 38th nationally as well, while her 62 steals are the 66th-best total in the country.
Fields has been equally impressive in the classroom, garnering first-team Academic All-Big 12 status as well as academic all-district recognition."

Solid all around player wish she shot better from three. Hard to get an idea of how she ranks against other possible targets.

Sounds like she plays D so that will blow up Vic's skirt. She averaged 15.4 per game - our highest scorer was Matharu at 12.0 (Lattimore  was 3.2)

The more I look at her the better I like her.

Hell, I'm in.

3 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Geno not on the NIL but on the portal and coaching the players these days.

pretty hard hitting.....sounds like he has done his best to change, but only to the least degree possible and when it comes down to it he knows he has the hardware and if you piss him off he is going to go back to what he knows works and if that does not work for you fuck off out of there

I would imagine he has some assistants that are still kind of hard ass at times, but nicer mostly and when players come to him he can pull the "well WTF do you want me to tell you different when the other coaches are telling you the same" and then if he knows you have what it takes and are just in  rough patch he softens a bit to turn it around and if he thinks you are a fuck off he hardens even more to let you know to turn it around or leave

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Shot 50-176 from 3 this year for .284% so not great.

solid all around player wish she shot better from three. Hard to get an idea of how she ranks against other possible targets.

Sounds like she plays D so that will blow up Vic's skirt. She averaged 15.4 per game - our highest scorer was Matharu at 12.0 (Lattimore  was 3.2)

The more I look at her the better I like her.

Hell, I'm in.

Plays good defense and she was OSU’s go-to.  She would not be the first option for every offensive set on this team. Should help her numbers. 

10 points, 5 boards, 6 steals in one game against us. 17-5-4 in the other. 

Fields + Martinez from WV + Soares would make me feel really good and happy about this team next year. Give me an experienced guard who plays defense, a solid wing/forward in Martinez who hunts rebounds and a 6’6 legacy center 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Not sure about this one. Tall anyway.

faub.jpg

Vic turned a single digit bench scorer in JAT into a double digit ppg starter who played almost 40 mpg

Edited by Js1

2 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Apparently Fatou Samb (6-4 SO center, Houston, TX) out of Cal WBB may be in the mix. Was ranked in the top 100 in the 2020 recruiting class.

Highly intelligent apparently.

Happy Ramadan.

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Lauren Fields also has a Bible scripture first thing on her twitters so that's right in our coach's wheelhouse. Could make a difference.

Happy Easter.

I'm sure the ball/towel girl keeps up with this kinda stuff for Coach Vic.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Huh. The younger Joens sister is in the portal now.

Yeah, her minutes started at about 36-40 and then half way through the year dropped off to about 10-12. I'm sure she wants more playing time and she is trending a bad direction.  May not be correct but her sister staying may have been a factor in her leaving due to minutes available. Maybe not though. I guess Ashley wants her degree, not sure her stock is going to get any higher than it is right now.

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Warren is on an OV to UGA. That would be a good spot for her, Coach KAH is all about that physical defense 

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Nope Dont Like That GIF - Nope Dont Like That Smh - Discover & Share GIFs

I feel all of our seniors represented the University well, gave their all for the program while they were here, and owe us nothing at this point.
I certainly respect their right and wishes to create new opportunities and experiences for themselves - grad students often and probably wisely choose to
go to a different school for their final year of basketball.

That being said, it will certainly bite to see any of them in a different uniform and celebrating with a different team.
They could have chosen UT but they did not, and petty though it may be I can't help but feel that tarnishes their UT legend temporarily.
In a few years I will look back on them with affection but for a while less so.
Not right or wrong, just how I feel about it.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Warren to UGA. Good for her. That program hasn’t seen the kind of success she’s experienced the last 2 postseasons. 

Very classy of her to thank the Texas coaches and program, wonderful young lady.  Feeling better about her at Georgia, but will still hurt to see her in a different uni.

Keep wearing your collar Audrey.

warren2.jpg

HornFans connecting some dots.

Believe Sydney Carter is now following Kobe and Moore on Instagram.  The DPP posting was pulled yesterday.   Hire imminent? 

Carter started following Lindsey Spann (Maryland assistant) on instagram a couple days ago and vice versa.  Potentially the second assistant coach hire?

• Hired at Maryland in 2019 as Director of Recruiting Ops
  • Promoted to assistant coach in 2020
  • Named as one of the WBCA's Thirty Under 30 last year as an up-and-coming coach
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

HornFans connecting some dots.

Believe Sydney Carter is now following Kobe and Moore on Instagram.  The DPP posting was pulled yesterday.   Hire imminent? 

Carter started following Lindsey Spann (Maryland assistant) on instagram a couple days ago and vice versa.  Potentially the second assistant coach hire?

• Hired at Maryland in 2019 as Director of Recruiting Ops
  • Promoted to assistant coach in 2020
  • Named as one of the WBCA's Thirty Under 30 last year as an up-and-coming coach

Would we call Carter and Spann homerun hires? Lovato seemed perfect for our situation but I don't know jack about these two.

Are these good coaches for position instruction? Under 30 up and coming sounds good.

2 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Would we call Carter and Spann homerun hires? Lovato seemed perfect for our situation but I don't know jack about these two.

Are these good coaches for position instruction? Under 30 up and coming sounds good.

Carter would probably be DPP so not position instruction.  Spann is clearly an up and comer type who was on a successful staff under Brenda at Maryland. 

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Soares picked Iowa St 

It's getting discouraging, we needed Soares with Ebo gone. Samb just isn't in the same league at this point, not that we have her locked in either. Not sure who we are trying to get but can't help but think Vic's attention is divided after losing all the assistant coaches. You would think some of these players would want to play with Rori, maybe we are a hard sell without position coaches in place to help people develop. We've got some good pieces but need a few more to compete with Iowa State etc. Hope AC's crap isn't being used against us.

Since Women's Basketball related...

OHIO STATE RECEIVES FOUR YEARS OF PROBATION FOR NCAA VIOLATIONS IN WOMEN’S BASKETBALL, WOMEN’S GOLF AND FENCING

Kevin McGuff

By Dan Hope on April 19, 2022 

Ohio State has received four years of NCAA probation for violations committed by the women’s basketball, women’s golf and fencing programs.

The NCAA’s Division I Committee on Infractions announced Tuesday that Ohio State women’s basketball, women’s golf and fencing programs were all found guilty of committing NCAA violations between 2015 and 2019.

As punishment, Ohio State has been placed on four years of NCAA probation and fined $5,000 in addition to 3% of the fencing program budget and 1% of both the women’s basketball and women’s golf budgets. Under the terms of the probation, Ohio State will be required to “continue to develop and implement a comprehensive educational program on NCAA legislation to instruct coaches, the faculty athletics representative, all athletics department personnel and all institutional staff members with responsibility for recruiting” and file annual compliance reports to the NCAA indicating the progress made with that program.

Those penalties have been assessed in addition to self-imposed penalties by Ohio State that included postseason bans for all three programs for the 2020-21 academic year as well as vacating women’s basketball and fencing wins in which ineligible athletes participated and scholarship reductions for those two programs in 2020-21. The Division I Committee on Infractions also imposed an additional 10% in scholarship reductions for the Ohio State fencing program in 2022-23.

Vacated achievements include Big Ten championships in 2017 and 2018, the Big Ten Tournament championship in 2018 and a total of 52 wins for women’s basketball, and Midwest Fencing Conference championships in 2016, 2017 and 2018 as well as NCAA runner-up finishes in 2016 and 2017 and an NCAA third-place finish in 2018 for the fencing team.

Because Ohio State previously had an NCAA infractions case involving the men’s swimming program in 2017, the NCAA also held a hearing to examine Ohio State’s compliance monitoring program. The NCAA concluded that a failure to monitor violation did not occur, though it did identify gaps in Ohio State’s compliance program that it has asked Ohio State to address.

The majority of violations found by the NCAA occurred within the fencing program. Former fencing coach Vladimir Nazlymov, who also received a 10-year show-cause penalty from the NCAA, was found to have “arranged, provided or directed other coaches to provide more than $6,000 in recruiting inducements to three prospects” and to have “personally provided or directed coaches to provide 18 student-athletes with more than $8,000 in impermissible benefits in the form of free access to his local sports club,” among other violations.

The women’s basketball program was punished as a result of violations committed by former associate head coach Patrick Klein, who also received a 10-year show-cause from the NCAA. Klein “initiated contact with student-athletes with the goal of forming personal relationships that exceeded coaching/student-athlete relationships” and “provided them with impermissible benefits, including paying for manicures, loaning money for rental cars, and purchasing textbooks for a student-athlete who was not on scholarship.”

The women’s golf program was found to have exceeded countable athletically related activity hours over the course of several years.

The full report issued by the NCAA on Tuesday can be read here.

In a news release issued by Ohio State on Tuesday, athletic director Gene Smith said he believes Ohio State handled the situation appropriately by self-imposing penalties and cooperating with the NCAA’s investigation.

“I’m proud of our university, athletics department, and the involved sport programs for our management of this matter,” Smith said in a statement. “We are committed to our proactive and pre-existing system of compliance methods and rules education. A comprehensive compliance program ensures adherence and institutional control over the athletics department and furthers the mission of the university. We are pleased that this matter is now behind us, and our focus remains on our student-athletes.”

Ohio State’s four years of probation begin immediately and will continue through April 18, 2026.

• Haha 1