Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

3 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Geno just can't catch a break from buzzer beating 3's. At least, for his sake, this buzzer beater sends the game into double OT. Usually they are game winners against his teams in OT

Geno has used up all his breaks... No sympathy for a guy with so many national titles...  😋

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Geno just can't catch a break from buzzer beating 3's. At least, for his sake, this buzzer beater sends the game into double OT. Usually they are game winners against his teams in OT

Yeah poor fucking Geno. 

Wasn't really watching but caught some of OT and 2OT. FT miss by NCST was brutal with ~20 left in OT. Crazy they sent it to double anyway. 

It was almost always gonna be three 1 seeds and UConn with that gift. Oh well 

Starting next year, moving to only 2 regional sites - Greenville and Seattle for 23 and Albany and Portland for 24 

2026 has Fort Worth as a regional so maybe we will get that gift 

• Hook 'Em 1

There was talk of moving to one site for S16 and beyond. Not sure what happened with that idea. They want more crowds and as programs are growing, more complaints are coming in about the UConn treatment. That Bridgeport regional would have filled even if UConn wasn’t there because that area of the country likes basketball. There’s a reason a pro WNBA team is located in Connecticut.

Womens side is pretty progressive so we will see. There’s talk now of going to a 24 second shot clock and getting rid of the jump ball to start the game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

There was talk of moving to one site for S16 and beyond. Not sure what happened with that idea. They want more crowds and as programs are growing, more complaints are coming in about the UConn treatment. That Bridgeport regional would have filled even if UConn wasn’t there because that area of the country likes basketball. There’s a reason a pro WNBA team is located in Connecticut.

Womens side is pretty progressive so we will see. There’s talk now of going to a 24 second shot clock and getting rid of the jump ball to start the game. 

Not sure but the NCAA website list 2 regional sites through 2026 with 8 teams in each. Maybe after that 

Well now, this is an intriguing name in the portal: Priscilla Williams - Women's Basketball - Syracuse University Athletics

RS Sophomore (didn't play this past season)

6'2 guard from Houston, recruited by Vic when he was at MSU; appears to be very familiar with Rori from the Houston scene and Lattimore from when she was a Syracuse commit

As a freshman: 8.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg (68 defensive, 50 offensive), 37% 3P%, 77.3% FT, 4 blocks and 18 steals in 21 games.  Had games with 8 threes and another game with 6 threes as a freshman.  9 double digit scoring games, 8 of them in ACC games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I was trying to figure out why she redshirted and found this:

"Syracuse women’s basketball guard Priscilla Williams has entered the transfer portal. After two seasons with the Orange, she announced her decision on Instagram.

“With coaching changes, getting hurt, and having to sit out my sophomore year, this whole process has taught me many valuable lessons that I will take with me in life,” Williams wrote.At the beginning of the 2021-22 season, Williams announced her decision to redshirt. Williams has been dealing with a minor injury and was listed as “day-to-day” by acting head coach Vonn Read early on in the season. The sophomore last played on March 5 in the ACC Tournament quarterfinal match where she suffered a season-ending head injury just over eight minutes into the game.

“I have come to the decision that I will redshirt this basketball season but will still support my team till the end. Thank you for all the love, prayers and support. I’ll be back soon,” Williams wrote via Instagram."

So maybe scared by the head injury and monitoring for lingering issues, or maybe a smaller injury that took time.

Has great size and can shoot, known by coach and players.

Mother Joelle played basketball at Kansas State ... father played basketball at Arkansas State

I'm in.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Well now, this is an intriguing name in the portal: Priscilla Williams - Women's Basketball - Syracuse University Athletics

RS Sophomore (didn't play this past season)

6'2 guard from Houston, recruited by Vic when he was at MSU; appears to be very familiar with Rori from the Houston scene and Lattimore from when she was a Syracuse commit

As a freshman: 8.7 ppg, 3.2 rpg (68 defensive, 50 offensive), 37% 3P%, 77.3% FT, 4 blocks and 18 steals in 21 games.  Had games with 8 threes and another game with 6 threes as a freshman.  9 double digit scoring games, 8 of them in ACC games. 

Vic:

Joey Tribbiani Flirt GIF

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 3:04 PM, Js1 said:

And non-Texas news:

Ashley Joens (ISU) is coming back

Projected as high as #3 in the draft, interesting choice to come back. Doubt another year will move her up much but it might. Not always about the money, good on her.

3/27/2022

3. Atlanta Dream
       W Basketball Blog: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

4. Indiana Fever (from Los Angeles)
      Winsidr: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

6. Indiana Fever (from Dallas)
    Bleacher Report: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

7. Dallas Wings (from Chicago)
    Beyond Women’s Sports: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

10. Indiana Fever (from Minnesota)
    ESPN: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

11. Las Vegas Aces
    Her Hoops Stats: Ashley Joens (Iowa State, Guard/Forward, 6-1)

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Guess she didn’t want to go THAT close to home or a winning program with postseason success 

Last I read about her, was claiming mental health concerns and burnout.  Guess 3-4 mos later basketball sounds great again under a bitchy tech coach?? 🙄

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Guess she didn’t want to go THAT close to home or a winning program with postseason success 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Last I read about her, was claiming mental health concerns and burnout.  Guess 3-4 mos later basketball sounds great again under a bitchy tech coach?? 🙄

Didn't want to be in Rori's considerable shadow.

She got upset that her role was much less than she expected and knee-jerked into the portal early. Could have played all year, stayed in shape and grew.

We could have used her at times, especially when Harmon hit the wall later on. I hope she is happier now and that they lose to us every game. Nothing against her, glad she landed in a D1 school.

Yeah, Vic or Gerlich, gosh who could choose?

Interesting - Lou Lopez-Senechal from Fairfield (6'1 forward) is in the portal

Vic had A LOT of nice things to say about her after our first round game - 19.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 41% from three, MAAC Player of the Year

Had 17 against us in the first round game in 30 minutes (5-10 FG, 2-2 from three, 5-6 FT, 5 rebounds, 2 steals)

• Like 1

And it happened

OK State named Kansas City coach as their HC and Kansas City grabbed Dionnah Jackson-Durret from Texas' staff

First call should be Kelly Bond White.  The Gary Blair connection, their familiarity with one another and she's an excellent guard coach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

And it happened

OK State named Kansas City coach as their HC and Kansas City grabbed Dionnah Jackson-Durret from Texas' staff

First call should be Kelly Bond White.  The Gary Blair connection, their familiarity with one another and she's an excellent guard coach

Welp, you were right @Js1 

Congrats to Coach Jackson-Durret. Really hate to see her go but she deserves the opportunity.

Wonder if this effects anyone's decision coming or going, who are we going to get to work with the guards?

I'm sure Rori is sad.  DJD - great person.

6 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Welp, you were right @Js1 

Congrats to Coach Jackson-Durret. Really hate to see her go but she deserves the opportunity.

Wonder if this effects anyone's decision coming or going, who are we going to get to work with the guards?

I'm sure Rori is sad.  DJD - great person.

Just remember Vic has lost 2 of 3 assistants to HC jobs in 2 years. That speaks a lot about how he’s prepared them.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

C769A0AD-5932-4F1A-B094-32D0F2C9D7E5.thumb.png.0a9effd0a4720bb44cac05e961687104.png

Very nice. Classy to include Aston and to thank Vic and his staff as well.

She absolutely did leave it all on the floor - never a doubt, carried us many a game, represented the University well, and put up some great numbers for us.

Really sad to see her go, loved watching her play and hope she gets whatever she is aiming for.

JAT!  Hook-em!

• Hook 'Em 1

Also not for nothing - if Hunter opts to leave and Vic needs a backup PG, another one his former players is in the portal, Myah Taylor.  Has a year to play after playing for Vic for 2 years and has been at MSU since 2017. 

Career at MSU  - 42% shooter, 28.9% from three, 59% FT shooter (but was typically around 65-67% until this season), 6.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.9 assist/turnover ratio - 445 assists in 4 seasons and 196 steals.  She'd be an adequate backup to Rori. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also not for nothing - if Hunter opts to leave and Vic needs a backup PG, another one his former players is in the portal, Myah Taylor.  Has a year to play after playing for Vic for 2 years and has been at MSU since 2017. 

Career at MSU  - 42% shooter, 28.9% from three, 59% FT shooter (but was typically around 65-67% until this season), 6.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 3.9 assist/turnover ratio - 445 assists in 4 seasons and 196 steals.  She'd be an adequate backup to Rori. 

Hard to sign a player when you already have a freshman phenom playing 35 minutes a game at their position.

"adequate backup" is probably what you get but if Rori has to sit you have problems. That's why you want #2 guards that can double at point like Matharu and JAT.

• Hook 'Em 1

Thanks for the Breya Cunningham posts @LTtxfan

Good to see Vic doing some righteous work.

She certainly looks happy with all the burnt orange attention with her hook-ems and burnt orange hearts but then Rickea posted purple and yellow hearts after her visit to LSU and a few days later signed with the wrong UT so you never know.

Another All-American Honor for Rori: Wade Trophy winner Aliyah Boston headlines 2022 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team | Women's Basketball Coaches Association

WBCA Honorable Mention

Also in very interesting portal news - NAIA POY Stephanie Soares (6'6 PF/C) is in the portal.  20.5 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.7 blocks per game.

Couple of interesting notes on her:  her mom is former Texas WBB player Susan Anderson and one of the people apparently running point on her transfer is Clarissa Davis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Another All-American Honor for Rori: Wade Trophy winner Aliyah Boston headlines 2022 WBCA NCAA Division I Coaches’ All-America team | Women's Basketball Coaches Association

WBCA Honorable Mention

Also in very interesting portal news - NAIA POY Stephanie Soares (6'6 PF/C) is in the portal.  20.5 ppg, 12.2 rpg, 3.7 blocks per game.

Couple of interesting notes on her:  her mom is former Texas WBB player Susan Anderson and one of the people apparently running point on her transfer is Clarissa Davis. 

Good on Rori. She will never lack for accolades.

I read elsewhere that Clarissa hasn't always been helpful in Texas recruiting. Perhaps that's not true or has changed now IDK. Mom went here so....

Numbers certainly look good. POY in the NAIA should absolutely try to move up.

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Good on Rori. She will never lack for accolades.

I read elsewhere that Clarissa hasn't always been helpful in Texas recruiting. Perhaps that's not true or has changed now IDK. Mom went here so....

Numbers certainly look good. POY in the NAIA should absolutely try to move up.

Clarissa hated Gail - pretty sure because she was not retained after Gail was hired and Gail really threw away a big time Texas legend and recruiting asset in a state she had no ties, which was her ultimate downfall.  I'm pretty sure Karen fixed that issue when she was hired - her first big chore was similar to Beard's "Unite the Family" thing and she hired Texas coaching alums in Travis Mays, Jamie Carey and Tiffany Jackson during her tenure. 

Hiring a Jody assistant went a long way to fixing the issues Gail caused.  I don't think the rift exists between Texas WBB and Clarissa anymore. 

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Clarissa hated Gail - pretty sure because she was not retained after Gail was hired and Gail really threw away a big time Texas legend and recruiting asset in a state she had no ties, which was her ultimate downfall.  I'm pretty sure Karen fixed that issue when she was hired - her first big chore was similar to Beard's "Unite the Family" thing and she hired Texas coaching alums in Travis Mays, Jamie Carey and Tiffany Jackson during her tenure. 

Hiring a Jody assistant went a long way to fixing the issues Gail caused.  I don't think the rift exists between Texas WBB and Clarissa anymore. 

Thanks.

Certainly helps us to embrace our legends, nice to see coaches like Beard knowing the value of the Longhorn family.