Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And experience matters - most of their roster was on a title team. Matharu, Rori, Moore, Lattimore first time on this stage and Gaston and Holle barely played in last year’s run. 

I know I can go look it up but is Matharu coming back??? 

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I don’t watch a lot of womens basketball.  Ebo is worthless.  If she cant play bully ball against someone she probably outweighs by 50 lbs she doesn’t need to be on the court.

Ebo was accredited by Vic for our late season success. She has played much better than tonight.

Stanford threw a lot of height at her and you saw the result.

She did suck tonight as you said, I thought Vic should have stopped trying to feed the post early , there was nothing there.

10 total points by the big girls and some of those were outside shots.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Ebo actually has pretty soft hands.  Slim her down and get some strength and she's probably ok.

She can’t jump….the other bigs around her with the long arms just blocked everything she put up.  Like another poster said…Vic shouldn’t have kept going to her….but Ebo has played great and was instrumental in getting us to this point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Ebo was accredited by Vic for our late season success. She has played much better than tonight.

Stanford threw a lot of height at her and you saw the result.

She did suck tonight as you said, I thought Vic should have stopped trying to feed the post early , there was nothing there.

10 total points by the big girls and some of those were outside shots.

yep, our bigs could  have had a 12-15 foot shot all night at the elbows but we kept trying feed the post into their best defense. Ebo was good in some games but usually it wasn't against players this tall and mobile. 

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll add too many blocked shots too. Need to either get it up, draw fouls, or not shoot it if you can’t do one or both of those. 

Happened in Palo Alto too. Difference was Matharu actually showed up in that game 

• Hook 'Em 1

As a lurker,  thanks to all for great analysis this season !

Proud of Vic and the Lady Longhorns !

“They’re really good, no question about it. You let them do what they want to do, they’ll hang 70, 80 points on you,” Texas coach Vic Schaefer said. “I think you’ve got to give our kids credit because they didn’t let them do what they wanted to do. They really played their guts out today, and they played the way we wanted to play. And we just couldn’t score enough points.”

https://cw39.com/sports/ap-sports/defending-champion-stanford-tops-texas-59-50-in-elite-8/

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, torre said:

As a lurker,  thanks to all for great analysis this season !

Proud of Vic and the Lady Longhorns !

“They’re really good, no question about it. You let them do what they want to do, they’ll hang 70, 80 points on you,” Texas coach Vic Schaefer said. “I think you’ve got to give our kids credit because they didn’t let them do what they wanted to do. They really played their guts out today, and they played the way we wanted to play. And we just couldn’t score enough points.”

https://cw39.com/sports/ap-sports/defending-champion-stanford-tops-texas-59-50-in-elite-8/

Yeah, we dictated the pace of the game the whole 40 minutes.  It was just unfortunate we could not get Matharu going at all and our posts struggled all night, either getting blocked every attempt (Ebo) or in foul trouble (Moore).  

We got massively outrebounded, which is not a good recipe for winning a game 
We went away from the mid-range jumpers that were pretty successful in the first half
Our FT shooting looked like early season struggles and not how nails we were in late season games against Baylor, ISU, Ohio State, etc. 

We really did play our guts out - just like last year's team, our lack of talent at all 5 positions and youth really caught up to us when you see that happen the most.  Rori and Moore will be sophomores next year, Matharu will be a senior and 3 full seasons in Vic's program (minus her sophomore year at MSU), hopefully Kyndall Hunter gets it going this offseason learning the playbooks to be an effective combo 1/2 guard, and we upgrade at the post and wing positions (no offense to Holle, but she was a non-factor in this game) - specifically a 6'3 or 6'4 athletic post and a 6'0-6'1 wing with an outside and midrange shot. 

But damn, the future is so bright, they need to put a canopy over Moody Center. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Also I know @Pancho did not watch, but it was another unspectacular Dee Kantner officiated game.  Even more maddening because she reffed the Big 12 championship game and it was a night and day difference. 

I'd be very interested to see what he thinks. Burnt orange glasses on but some of those calls....

The sad part was that game was easily winnable if we just do one of the things we had improved on during the year.
Matharu and Moore get in foul trouble right away and disappear. Once Matharu leaves with foul trouble she never seems to get back on track.
Holle was a real contributer at the end of the season but didn't show last night.
Our free throw shooting had improved during the year but fell apart.

Warren however hadn't been good lately but was back to her old self and a factor last night.

Ebo had been much better of late but she has never been good against taller defenders.
She cannot jump so she plays much shorter than her 6'4" height so don't even go there. They had 11 blocks to our 1 and 45 rebounds to our 28.
Vic tried Lattimore for height but she was back to looking like a first day freshman.

A big part off this was on Vic for pushing what didn't work.
Not mad but that's a coaching issue that needs to be clearly looked at.

Stanford wasn't all that, we hung with and could have beaten the number 2 team in the nation and been in the FF with
just a few possessions going different. 4Q- 2:07 | TEX 50, STANFORD 53  We had missed 9 free throws at that point.

Stick with our guard midrange game and I think we beat them 6 times out of ten.

This team is good, really good.
Great coaching staff, great system, some great players and we got Rori.
The smell of a Natty is in the air....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

hopefully Kyndall Hunter gets it going this offseason learning the playbooks to be an effective combo 1/2 guard,

Other than the one game where she hit 7 threes or whatever at the beginning of the season I haven't seen her show much.

I know she was a top recruit but Vic didn't have a lot of faith obviously, she rarely played. I truly hope she gets going but sadly she's on my portal watch.

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Other than the one game where she hit 7 threes or whatever at the beginning of the season I haven't seen her show much.

I know she was a top recruit but Vic didn't have a lot of faith obviously, she rarely played. I truly hope she gets going but sadly she's on my portal watch.

She didn't play because she was lost out there - and then she had a period where she was injured.  Vic would constantly be screaming and pointing where she needed to go on the floor.   To be honest, I don't think I'm watching her for the portal.  If she didn't quit and announce mid-season after that road trip that Vic left her at home, I think she stays and learns.  Gotta think Rori is in her ear to stick it out.  

Spend all offseason learning the playbook

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Also I know @Pancho did not watch, but it was another unspectacular Dee Kantner officiated game.  Even more maddening because she reffed the Big 12 championship game and it was a night and day difference. 

Ahh, classic Dee lol

I know her personally and she’s so fucking nice and honest.  I like that.  With that said, Dee is past her prime, but because she is who she is, she will always have a job.  I will say this—coaches want her in their games, despite what fans think.  I was a little confused at the crew dynamic as 2 of the officials, the Pac12 is the only P5 conference they officiate (Dee works B12, SEC, ACC, and B1G).  I’m wondering what happened there.  I didn’t get to see who the alternate was. 

Funny, Dee had the chance to pull a Lisa Mattingly (who they had to coax to come off the floor) and retire and take over scheduling the refs for the ACC and she said no.  Essentially, you’ll have to pull her dying corpse off the course a la Gary Blair.

Tina Napier retired after last year and said “fuck it” and ever wants to be around basketball ever again.  

But to your message, yes Dee’s calls are baffling at times because she’s one of the 5 refs who can call all over the court and not get in trouble for it.  People chalk it up to “that’s just Dee” but it can cause issues with the crew because she doesn’t stay in her area all the time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

She didn't play because she was lost out there - and then she had a period where she was injured.  Vic would constantly be screaming and pointing where she needed to go on the floor.   To be honest, I don't think I'm watching her for the portal.  If she didn't quit and announce mid-season after that road trip that Vic left her at home, I think she stays and learns.  Gotta think Rori is in her ear to stick it out.  

Spend all offseason learning the playbook

Really hope you are right. She never got any rhythm going (170 total minutes) but we have seen her make it rain.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

40 minutes of hell
Chris Beard/Mark Adams
UH under Sampson

No one bitches about how it's too physical and unfair and ruining the sport 

In the fourth quarter little miss Tara and her cute little group of soft-spoken princesses put us in the bonus long before we had enough fouls to do the same to them.

We had 24 fouls their 22 total and we were fouling at the end to stop the clock.

We were in the bonus in the third and they never were.

Who was more physical? STFU Vanderveer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

I was a little confused at the crew dynamic as 2 of the officials, the Pac12 is the only P5 conference they officiate (Dee works B12, SEC, ACC, and B1G).  I’m wondering what happened there.  I didn’t get to see who the alternate was. 

Always love @Pancho comments about officiating from the inside. Gives you a much better picture of what's going on than just bitching about the calls. Everyone thinks their team was robbed.

That being said I thought all the officials worked all the conferences not just one conference exclusively which is why I stopped complaining about B12 refs. Guess not.

How did we end up with 2.5 PAC12 officials while playing a PAC12 team? Because we were in Spokane? That doesn't smell right.

Of course that doesn't mean they like Tara, I bloody don't, might work against her.

17 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Does that mean they are gone?

There's some decisions to be made.  TOS (HornFans) has someone claiming 1 is 100% gone, 1 is a maybe and 1 is a in a 5 year program and likely to stick around.  My guess:

100% gone - JAT (she's the only one who has anything like this posted on TexasSports Steep Climb, Sweet Reward - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com))
Maybe - Warren
Likely to come back (and piss off everyone on this board) - Ebo

My guess is Ebo solely based on her being a transfer (2020-present), which means she might need one more year to finish her degree in Sports Management. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

There's some decisions to be made.  TOS (HornFans) has someone claiming 1 is 100% gone, 1 is a maybe and 1 is a in a 5 year program and likely to stick around.  My guess:

100% gone - JAT (she's the only one who has anything like this posted on TexasSports Steep Climb, Sweet Reward - University of Texas Athletics (texassports.com))
Maybe - Warren
Likely to come back (and piss off everyone on this board) - Ebo

My guess is Ebo solely based on her being a transfer (2020-present), which means she might need one more year to finish her degree in Sports Management. 

I thought as someone else posted JAT might stay for her Engineer Grad degree but as the article you referenced sez: "The senior will miss playing the sport she adores with the teammates she loves, but for now, there is work to be done, games to be won and an eye on the prize" so not looking good but I thought Brock was gone too but no.

I like Ebo and want her to come back, she was dominant for a stretch. She has games where she rules the dog house and games where she is a liability. It's up to Vic to use her properly. If you just watched last night you think she sucks.

I love Audrey but worried about the concussions.

If this year has taught us anything players - even Rori - have stretches where they are a real asset and stretches where they struggle. You just hope enough of them have their game face on each contest. - and this year they sure as hell did.

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Love how Vic coaches his team...  His teams are tough

Yes @LTtxfan he gets them in great shape and coaches them to fight.

His teams 5 years in a row to the Elite 8, that's entirely different teams and two different schools.

One of the faithful here posted he has Big Vic Energy.

That should be the thread title for next year.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Yes @LTtxfan he gets them in great shape and coaches them to fight.

His teams 5 years in a row to the Elite 8, that's entirely different teams and two different schools.

One of the faithful here posted he has Big Vic Energy.

That should be the thread title for next year.

Big Vic Energy in the Big D.  Huge shame if we miss a Final Four in Dallas 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Always love @Pancho comments about officiating from the inside. Gives you a much better picture of what's going on than just bitching about the calls. Everyone thinks their team was robbed.

That being said I thought all the officials worked all the conferences not just one conference exclusively which is why I stopped complaining about B12 refs. Guess not.

How did we end up with 2.5 PAC12 officials while playing a PAC12 team? Because we were in Spokane? That doesn't smell right.

Of course that doesn't mean they like Tara, I bloody don't, might work against her.

Yes and no. 

There aren't specific conference refs because refs can officiate in any conference they want if they get hired by that coordinator.  That's the key.  Most of the Pac12 refs are Pac12 (west coast really--WCC, WAC, Big Sky, MWC, etc.) because those coordinators who do the midwest and east coast really don't hire west coast because of the travel.  There are just a tiny amount of folks who do Pac12 and Big 12 and that's it whereas someone who lives east of the Rockies can essentially work a ton more conferences if they get hired by those coordinators. 

What's really interesting is one of the refs in our game last night reffed our game vs Utah in the 1st round so it's not clear why she got to ref our EE game.  I'm not sure what the rule is there, but that rarely if ever happens.  The only thing I can think of to explain that plus the fact that 2 of the refs in our game are Pac12 only (meaning they don't ref in another P5 conference) is there was an issue with one or more of the other officials....that could be travel, illness, death in the family, etc.  No one knows.  

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

Yes and no. 

There aren't specific conference refs because refs can officiate in any conference they want if they get hired by that coordinator.  That's the key.  Most of the Pac12 refs are Pac12 (west coast really--WCC, WAC, Big Sky, MWC, etc.) because those coordinators who do the midwest and east coast really don't hire west coast because of the travel.  There are just a tiny amount of folks who do Pac12 and Big 12 and that's it whereas someone who lives east of the Rockies can essentially work a ton more conferences if they get hired by those coordinators. 

What's really interesting is one of the refs in our game last night reffed our game vs Utah in the 1st round so it's not clear why she got to ref our EE game.  I'm not sure what the rule is there, but that rarely if ever happens.  The only thing I can think of to explain that plus the fact that 2 of the refs in our game are Pac12 only (meaning they don't ref in another P5 conference) is there was an issue with one or more of the other officials....that could be travel, illness, death in the family, etc.  No one knows.  

Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.