Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

No, this is not the LSU WBB thread.  I don't GAF who they hired because I don't know who tf that is or their NIL.

Kim Mulkey is a damn good coach and recruiter, it's not a surprise she got someone like Martinez.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/18/2022 at 8:03 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Very classy of her to thank the Texas coaches and program, wonderful young lady.  Feeling better about her at Georgia, but will still hurt to see her in a different uni.

Keep wearing your collar Audrey.

warren2.jpg

Did she graduate from Texas and want to do grad work at Georgia, or left here for more playing time or other reasons?

Scattershots:

• Moore and Lovato are now following Taylor Jones on instagram (6'4 sophomore F from Oregon State) on Instagram (12.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg, 65% FG, 59.3% FT in 9 games - had shoulder surgery and missed the rest of the year after December 19 contest) 
  • Texas is playing in the Battle 4 Atlantis next year - November 19-21 event includes Gonzaga, Marquette, Rutgers, South Dakota State, Tenn, Texas, UCLA, Louisville
    • We will probably end up in the side of the bracket with UCLA/Louisville so no rematch in Tennessee unless we both make the Battle 4 Atlantis title game, since we should be hosting Tenn already
  • Hook 'Em 1

And 2023 Gisella Maul is announcing next Monday.  #45 in the 2023 Hoop Gurlz, 5'11 guard out of Cedar Park.  3rd highest-ranked TX prospect after 2023 commit Sammie Wagner and Kylie Marshall (5'11 guard out of Lake Ridge HS) 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

And 2023 Gisella Maul is announcing next Monday.  #45 in the 2023 Hoop Gurlz, 5'11 guard out of Cedar Park.  3rd highest-ranked TX prospect after 2023 commit Sammie Wagner and Kylie Marshall (5'11 guard out of Lake Ridge HS) 

Is she dealing with a right knee injury? Also, are we expecting her or headed elsewhere?

4 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Is she dealing with a right knee injury? Also, are we expecting her or headed elsewhere?

No idea.  Based on her instagram, we were her last visit in November.  She also went to Alabama, Florida, Wichita State, KSU and Baylor last year.  I believe all unofficial visits.  Vic has been to a lot of her games up in CP. 

She recently started following Sammie Wagner (2023 commit) and TexasWBB on instagram (a few weeks ago) and her commitment date video was liked by our 2023 commit Boutlier and by Elena Lovato. 

It's not unheard of to commit without her position coach in place, since Vic still has not formally announced who the 2 new assistant coaches are.  Players like Rori committed to Vic, not a position coach. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

Whos is dumb enough to do a 2023 Bracketology in April 2022?  There's 1000 players in the portal and there's still 10 days until the portal closes.

NCAA Women's Bracketology - 2023 women's college basketball projections (espn.com)

Texas is a projected 1 seed

Three of the four No. 1 seeds -- South Carolina, UConn and Stanford -- have been on the top line each of the past two years and return so much talent it's hard to imagine them not being there again next March. Texas, which has made consecutive Elite Eight appearances, might be ready to get to the next level as the final No. 1 seed. Led by the Gamecocks, the SEC has nine teams in the way-too-early field, but the ACC looks to be deeper at the top. Five teams from that ACC made the top-16, and the conference could be the most competitive and compelling race in the country. Notre Dame, Louisville and NC State all have much to replace but still look to be very good. North Carolina should continue its ascent and Virginia Tech returns the conference's Player of the Year in Liz Kitley.

USC/UConn - 1 seeds in Greenville
Texas/Stanford - 1 seeds in Seattle

OU 3
KSU 8
Baylor 7 (hahaha, yes)
Tenn 2
Kansas 7
LSU 10 (hahahaha, yeah right)
ISU 2

42 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Whos is dumb enough to do a 2023 Bracketology in April 2022?  There's 1000 players in the portal and there's still 10 days until the portal closes.

NCAA Women's Bracketology - 2023 women's college basketball projections (espn.com)

Texas is a projected 1 seed

USC/UConn - 1 seeds in Greenville
Texas/Stanford - 1 seeds in Seattle

OU 3
KSU 8
Baylor 7 (hahaha, yes)
Tenn 2
Kansas 7
LSU 10 (hahahaha, yeah right)
ISU 2

Yeah, this is lazy work. Didn't bother to wait for the chaos to settle, not trying to be accurate just looking for clicks.

We need a piece or 4 and a few coaches to get to a one seed right now.

LSU at 10 at this point is ridiculous but the 7 for Baylor feels gloriously accurate.

From a site I saw it looked like only 230 or so of those transfers were from Power 5 schools and almost 900 from non P5. Don't know if I've got that right but seemed significant.

8 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Some heavy action around Tech's Freshman center Khadija Faye.

Vic following her on the Insta. Not declared in the portal yet though.

https://texastech.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster/khadija-faye/11469

As is Blair and Lovato

Blair and Taylor Jones are now following each other as well.

Would be super cool to roll out Sydney Carter, a transfer like Taylor Jones, get Maul's commitment on Monday, another transfer or assistant coach next week

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

19 games, 9 starts, 18.2 mpg
6.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg
24 blocks, 15 steals
43% FG
67% FT

Remember Texas only has 4 open 'ships right now - 2 we carried over from last year + Lattimore and Chevalier transfers 

Taylor Jones, Fatou Samb, Lauren Fields, Khadija Faye are 4 transfers we seem to have momentum with, via social media follows or official visits (Fields).  

• Like 1

Just now, Js1 said:

19 games, 9 starts, 18.2 mpg
6.4 ppg, 6.1 rpg
24 blocks, 15 steals
43% FG
67% FT

Remember Texas only has 4 open 'ships right now - 2 we carried over from last year + Lattimore and Chevalier transfers 

Taylor Jones, Fatou Samb, Lauren Fields, Khadija Faye are 4 transfers we seem to have momentum with, via social media follows or official visits (Fields).  

Maybe that number played a big part in the seniors all moving on.  Keep the numbers more balanced year to year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Circling back to Taylor Jones' consistency.  I really want this player at Texas - I will take a more consistent shooter who averaged double digit ppg and is a better rebounder and shot blocker than Ebo.  Rim protector. 

She's play 2+ seasons of college ball (injury shortened 2021-22)

12.4 ppg and 6.9 rpg, 65% FG, 10 blocks in 9 games
12.3 ppg and 8.8 rpg, 55.6% FG, 36 blocks in 20 games
12.3 ppg and 7.3 rpg, 58.3% FG, 60 blocks in 32 games

Lauren Ebo averaged 8.0 ppg and 6.7 rpg on 48% FG and 27 blocks in 36 games

She also lean, so she should fit pretty well into Vic's system of pressing for 40 minutes. Often described as a 6'4 player who plays like she's 6'6 because of how long and lean she is.  When she rebounds offensively, she always seem to keep the ball above her head.  Doesn't bring it back down on the floor - something that annoyed the shit out of me with Ebo. 

If we get someone like Taylor Jones, Vic will have to adjust to a different style of interior defense against like the likes of Ayoka Lee without the big body, but if anyone can do it, it's Vic.

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Definitely two + a potential medical RS year for this past season? She only played in 9 games

In the crazy days of the portal when someone transfers in from elsewhere I figure they are ours for the duration, otherwise they have to sit for over a year which is forever to these kids.  Unless of course you're a knucklehead like Tre M... Should give a certain level of security to the coaches if there are multiple years of eligibility remaining.

6 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

She pulled down her season high in boards (11) in Austin. Means she'll do well playing in Austin for the good girls.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Now we need to get Fields. Apparently she congratulated TJones on signing up with us and visits us on Monday. 

How could she not want to play with Rori?

Glad we have Lavato and Carter in place now.

Yep. Monday OV. Would be awesome time for a commitment know that she knows Jones is in. She’s at USC this weekend 

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Does it say whether she’s a don't contact or not?

Maybe @Js1 knows more but I don't see her listed as no contact. She didn't make a big splash about transferring or even announcing which makes me think she is leaving but doesn't consider herself "on the market". Vic and Lovato following her on twitter.

All Academic B12 Rookie team in 2021 so she's smart and knows joining us is the right thing to do. 👍🏽

Edited by TommysTinyTowels

Vic following her says more to me than anything else.  This was before she was officially in the portal. 

Honestly, Taylor Jones + Faye + Fields would be a monster transfer portal haul and basically address all the roster issues in one offseason

44 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Vic following her says more to me than anything else.  This was before she was officially in the portal. 

Honestly, Taylor Jones + Faye + Fields would be a monster transfer portal haul and basically address all the roster issues in one offseason

Yeah, I'd be really happy with that. Taylor is in, Faye probably but Fields is still a big if. She just got in from sunny SoCal - USC, I hope the staff give her the royal treatment today.