Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lattimore has the height of Ebo, but I don’t think she can bully defenders in the post like Ebo could. Tbh I wouldn’t even suggest she put on that much weight, but 10 lbs of muscle wouldn’t hurt if she’s going to play more of a Center role 

Tiera McCown was 6'7 but not a big girl.  Lattimore is 6'4 but with some more weight, probably a more explosive but slightly shorter version of McCown. 

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lattimore has the height of Ebo, but I don’t think she can bully defenders in the post like Ebo could. Tbh I wouldn’t even suggest she put on that much weight, but 10 lbs of muscle wouldn’t hurt if she’s going to play more of a Center role 

Lattimore plays much longer than Ebo but yeah, she's not going to be keeping big girls out of the paint. Even with adding some weight, her frame isn't made for that.

(Don't want her getting so big she can't dunk.. 😁)

Gonna have to be center by committee with Gaston, Lattimore and Moore, but like @Js1 says Vic probably already has a plan. I gave us a chance 50% to keep Ebo but

don't want to hang on to a player for one more year if it stops a 4 year good player from coming. I hope the loss of assistants isn't affecting our team negatively.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Lattimore plays much longer than Ebo but yeah, she's not going to be keeping big girls out of the paint. Even with adding some weight, her frame isn't made for that.

(Don't want her getting so big she can't dunk.. 😁)

Gonna have to be center by committee with Gaston, Lattimore and Moore, but like @Js1 says Vic probably already has a plan. I gave us a chance 50% to keep Ebo but

don't want to hang on to a player for one more year if it stops a 4 year good player from coming. I hope the loss of assistants isn't affecting our team negatively.

I do understand the position coach thing, but ideally you should commit to the school first, the head coach second and the position coach last.  Because position coaches change pretty frequently with the type of coaches Vic tends to hire (assistants who want to be head coaches and aren't content on just being on the bench for life). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Last year Vic had the #1 overall pick and took Texas to the elite 8.
This year, Vic had 0 drafted players, and still took his team to the elite 8.

That dude good at coaching 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

JAT went undrafted.

Thats really too bad, but maybe she'll be able to impress a team on a practice squad as an undrafted free agent. 

I don't think anyone including JAT was surprised, just would have been nice.

With her name in the WNBA hat other leagues know she is available and the elite 8 run certainly put her on some folks radar. A lot of these girls seem to play overseas but sadly I'm not sure the climate is as inviting as it was a short time ago.

But JAT will find her way.

4 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

I don't think anyone including JAT was surprised, just would have been nice.

With her name in the WNBA hat other leagues know she is available and the elite 8 run certainly put her on some folks radar. A lot of these girls seem to play overseas but sadly I'm not sure the climate is as inviting as it was a short time ago.

But JAT will find her way.

Yeah Russia and China used to be two of the best overseas opportunities for US womens basketball players up until a few months ago. There are other options out there, but perhaps not as financially appealing.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm honestly not surprised these seniors are looking for different opportunities.

-New position coaches

-Finished degrees

-Vic may be encouraging it so these freshman-soon-to-be-sophomores do not have development stunted 

-Portal additions

Yeah, I think the seniors were obviously happy here, but the program is the people and their senior teammates just left and right now the coaching staff is down to just the Vic and Blair show so their program ties aren't as tight. They probably feel like they did what they wanted to do here and it's a good time for a change and to expand relationships and opportunities. Glad for Audrey, sad for us. I hope they let her take her collars with her....

Just wish the program didn't feel like it's losing more each day and not gaining anything positive. It's the nature of the timing at this part of the year but throw us a bone dammit.

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

@texasstrong12 has been saying on twitter that attrition was coming because the portal was stacked with talent. 

As long as we get that talent.

We need to place an order for a center, an off guard and a back-up point please. Oh, and about 5 coaches.

Thanks @Rickylovesweed

@texasstrong12 twitter?

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

@texasstrong12 has been saying on twitter that attrition was coming because the portal was stacked with talent. 

Think that was always going to happen and its important to note that (so far, *knock on wood*) the attrition is seniors and not underclassmen. It's not Vic's players who are leaving. 

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I'm not surprised these seniors are looking for different opportunities.

• New position coaches
  • Finished degrees
  • Vic may be encouraging it so these freshman-soon-to-be-sophomores do not have development stunted 
  • Portal additions

I agree that Audrey was happy here, but moving on makes sense. 

She seemed really happy here talking about her time at Texas (5min mark)

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah it wasn't an Ashley Chevalier "I hate Texas, blah blah blah" type of transfer.  Every school is seeing 5th year seniors use their free year elsewhere - Texas has benefited, look at volleyball (Madi Skinner and Zoey Fleck).  

You finish that degree and you're ready to move on or Texas encouraged it because there's youngins behind them ready to grab starting spots or coaches want to utilize scholarships differently for portal purposes.

COVID seniors leaving is not a sign of program issues.  If we were talking Moore/Lattimore/Hunter/Harmon leaving, we'd have a problem. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Big NIL deal perhaps? 

Who knows.  I'm not going to knee jerk about it.  Who fans really want and who Vic really wants don't always align.  Fretting about where a kid in the portal ends up is going to have us looking like some of the regards on the recruiting board. 

Players are entering the portal every day.  Matharu went from portal entry to Texas commit in 7 days. 

Vic took a team with 1 returning start and a freshman PG to the Elite 8, after taking a team who was unlikely to make the tournament in 2020 to the Elite 8 in 2021 in year 1.  Trust the man! 

Edited by Js1

12 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Big NIL deal perhaps? 

Maybe, it's a crazy new world. Not sure how you check on that. Do recruits say "well they are offering me this.."  ?

This whole cluster F needs some structure.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Fretting about where a kid in the portal ends up is going to have us looking like some of the regards on the recruiting board. 

1.  Trust the man! 

I do wish we had signed Williams and Jackson. Great players like Rori make Vic's job much easier.

Yes, trust the man. His system, ability to choose assistants, and ability to coach players up will always have us in contention. We have a fantastic core

with our young players and can't wait to see Rori and Moore as a sophomores. 

So there's an open Director of Player Development position - which was Dom Dillingham.  Either she left or got promoted and, possibly into the empty assistant coach (guards) spot?

Sydney Carter (A&M) has followed Rori, Mathru and Hunter on insta (and vice versa) so potentially a move to Austin as DOPD? 

Carter has experience in Vic's system from her time at aggy and is seen as an up and comer in the ranks, but if it was between Carter and Dillingham for an assistant spot, you'd prob go with the person who has been on staff with Vic at MSU for three years, came over as Video Coordinator and then was promoted to Director of Player Development (Dillingham). 

Lovato would be wings/forwards.  I'd hope your post coach is a huge name (Tina?!?!?!?!?!) to really sell the staff.  But not worried on the assistant side - if you listened to Rori, it's all about Vic.  She barely mentions Dionnah in her decision to come to Texas. 

I could see Vic trying to announce his new staff at once. 

Just now, TommysTinyTowels said:

Wow. Should be more coming as well. Can choose to enter before May 1rst correct?

We've got some really great pieces, just need a few more to complete the package (3?)

May 1 is the deadline to enter. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So there's an open Director of Player Development position - which was Dom Dillingham.  Either she left or got promoted and, possibly into the empty assistant coach (guards) spot?

Sydney Carter (A&M) has followed Rori, Mathru and Hunter on insta (and vice versa) so potentially a move to Austin as DOPD? 

Carter has experience in Vic's system from her time at aggy and is seen as an up and comer in the ranks, but if it was between Carter and Dillingham for an assistant spot, you'd prob go with the person who has been on staff with Vic at MSU for three years, came over as Video Coordinator and then was promoted to Director of Player Development (Dillingham). 

Lovato would be wings/forwards.  I'd hope your post coach is a huge name (Tina?!?!?!?!?!) to really sell the staff.  But not worried on the assistant side - if you listened to Rori, it's all about Vic.  She barely mentions Dionnah in her decision to come to Texas. 

Yeah, I hope we still have Dom.

The players and Carter interaction you mention sounds like a done deal, don't know why they would do that otherwise.

I really hope for Tina but have seen no indications of that happening. Would be a home run, not sure she will get a head coach opportunity right now but Karen did.

We should be about at the point Vic could start announcing hires following state directives.

On 4/11/2022 at 5:17 PM, TommysTinyTowels said:

Welp, it's getting mighty quiet at the Texas WBB offices.

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Related?

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

If Kyndall followed Carter that's the best indication we have had so far that she is staying.  (Other than not already being in the TP.)

If you haven't already entered I would think that would mean you were not sure. Good teams only have so many slots, best to get yourself out there early.