Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

I can respect that.  As we should be. 

Unlike last year when we went to the Elite 8 and then lost Collier, Lambert, Taylor, Ortiz, Coleman and Johnson and would be relying on a freshman PG (I believe we were roughly #25 or just on the edge for 2021-22), we return Rori, Moore, Matharu, Holle, Lattimore, Gaston and maybe Ebo or Warren (or both) + the portal. 

Will be difficult to replicate JAT's production and clutchness, but the future is so bright. 

There's sometimes 1 final poll (I think?) where I would think we would be somewhere around #5

FWIW.

If we lose all three seniors we will lose 43.6% of our minutes. We were a little senior top heavy but not Dolly top heavy. Surprised at King-Hawea's complete lack of minutes (fighting an injury?) and thought Lattimore's time would have increased at the end of the season but with Ebo usually playing well and Moore coming on she got pushed back. Would be nice to get some depth at point to give Rori more of a breather, she was very effective other than her freshman wall period but with fresh legs she might be even more so. She does seem to get beat up quite a bit during games and that's a worry.

minutes3.jpg

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

I can respect that.  As we should be. 

Unlike last year when we went to the Elite 8 and then lost Collier, Lambert, Taylor, Ortiz, Coleman and Johnson and would be relying on a freshman PG (I believe we were roughly #25 or just on the edge for 2021-22), we return Rori, Moore, Matharu, Holle, Lattimore, Gaston and maybe Ebo or Warren (or both) + the portal. 

Will be difficult to replicate JAT's production and clutchness, but the future is so bright. 

There's sometimes 1 final poll (I think?) where I would think we would be somewhere around #5

I forgot about NC State - we finished #6 behind the Final Four and NC State.  ISU finished 8th, Baylor 11th, LSU 12th, Ohio State 13th (LOL WHAT), Tenn 15th, OU 21st

1 hour ago, someguy said:

Vic runs a tough program and it isn't for everyone.  There was a lot of drama behind the scenes during the season and I expect some transfers.  

Could be worse 

And these are players who got significant minutes:

Angel Reese - 25.8 mpg and led the team in scoring
Ashley Owusu - 29.1 mpg
Mimi Collins - 25.2 mpg

Edited by Js1

11 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Maybe damage control after Ashley's tweet showing how the team likes him and he knows them.

Indirectly addressing the issue in a positive manner, very UT. I was hoping some of the team would post support for the program, this will work though, a nice group effort.

Very fun, loved it.

Thanks @LTtxfan

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Maybe damage control after Ashley's tweet showing how the team likes him and he knows them.

Indirectly addressing the issue in a positive manner, very UT. I was hoping some of the team would post support for the program, this will work though, a nice group effort.

Very fun, loved it.

Thanks @LTtxfan

I think this video came out before her tweet.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Vic’s list for a post coach should still be pretty fresh from last season 

Sadly true.

This is all so good and so bad.
Good to be winning and so our assistants are in demand, coaches want to come here as a stepping stone to head positions and want to learn under Vic.
Bad for lack of continuity which certainly hurts a program, the kids and possible recruits get attached and lose that bond. Could affect some choices to stay or go.
New coaches have to learn the system and adjust to possible new roles.
Bad timing for Vic, trying to recruit and work the portal while looking for potential candidates for his staff.
But he has been around a long time and has many connections and I'll bet Blair adds a lot of stability and carries more responsibility than her title conveys.

Can't fault the assistants at all, glad they are getting the opportunists.
I'm still waiting for Calamity to be hired, I thought that was coming right after DJD.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Sadly true.

Good to be winning and so our assistants are in demand, coaches want to come here as a stepping stone to head positions and want to learn under Vic.
Bad for lack of continuity which certainly hurts a program, the kids and possible recruits get attached and lose that bond. Could affect some choices to stay or go.
Bad timing for Vic, trying to recruit and work the portal while looking for potential candidates for his staff.
But he has been around a long time and has many connections and I'll bet Blair adds a lot of stability and carries more responsibility than her title conveys.

I'm still waiting for Calamity to be hired, I thought that was coming right after DJD.

Still a possibility as her former boss Shauna Green was hired at Illinois and has only hired 1 assistant so far. 

Some assistants are just lifers (think Bill Brock at LSU under Mulkey who never left for a head coaching job) and some stick around until they find the perfect job (Johnnie Harris, DJD) and some are ready to go faster than others (April Phillips, but she has a long stint of west coach ball in her coaching bio).  

It's a real big testament to Vic "not a good role model for women according to Gerlich" Schaefer that he has lost 3 assistant coaches in the last 2 years to head coaching jobs.  He hires and grooms them to be head coaches.  That says a lot about him. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah, that was an "in the moment" thing - we have no idea what is going to happen. 

Look at Maryland's departures
ND had some big ones too

No one is safe, except SC and UConn. Stanford is tricky- historically, they don't accept undergrad transfers (very few) athletically.  So it's grad transfers or freshman recruits replacing Anna Wilson and the Hull twins (Lexie declared for the draft and Lacie plans to graduate and leave Stanford). 

3 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Sadly true.

And she’s gone to Illinois

Total staff rebuild 

• Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Please come back home Tina Thompson 

That would be a nice hire - really enjoyed how our posts played under her tutelage.

Maybe Nneka Enemkpali ? UCSB, UNLV and USC.  That's bringing a former player home. 

Edited by Js1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, that was an "in the moment" thing - we have no idea what is going to happen. 

Look at Maryland's departures
ND had some big ones too

No one is safe, except SC and UConn. Stanford is tricky- historically, they don't accept undergrad transfers (very few) athletically.  So it's grad transfers or freshman recruits replacing Anna Wilson and the Hull twins (Lexie declared for the draft and Lacie plans to graduate and leave Stanford). 

When we played Stanford they had 17 girls on their roster.

16 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Please come back home Tina Thompson 

I'm thinking Tina is ready to take a lesser role than head coach for a while. That didn't play out so well so I'm thinking that's a good possibility, with name bling and familiarity with the 40.

Nneka Enemkpali I'm in.

Someone elsewhere mentioned Chelsea Newton as a long shot due to the Joni Taylor ties but would be really good. Solid.

4 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

Coaching position opening posted 4 days ago (4/4) with a state minimum number of 10 days a job opening is required to be posted before a hire can be announced.

Also says(?): Earliest Start Date: Apr 11, 2022

Usually goes up when a hire was made but has to comply with state regs. Like the Gary Patterson hire. So I’m guessing one is done, minimum. Probably Elena coming back, since that’s word on the street  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, orangeut said:

Any news for people in the know, if we are close to getting transfers from the portal???   Like a 6'6" F/C NAIA player of the year??   Or anyone else?  

Vic may be too busy hiring assistants.

None of the portal names seem to be in a hurry

2022 Brianna McDaniel decommitted from aggy and has us on her short list. #42 player in the 2022 class 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Js1 said:

None of the portal names seem to be in a hurry

2022 Brianna McDaniel decommitted from aggy and has us on her short list. #42 player in the 2022 class 

Thanks JS1, always respect  and appreciate your replies to my inquiries.   

I might have missed it, but what is your opinion of the new aggy coach.   I don't think she is on  the level of Vic, but saying Vic is an 8, what is the aggy coach?   A 7 or 6? 

TIA   

1 minute ago, orangeut said:

Thanks JS1, always respect  and appreciate your replies to my inquiries.   

I might have missed it, but what is your opinion of the new aggy coach.   I don't think she is on  the level of Vic, but saying Vic is an 8, what is the aggy coach?   A 7 or 6? 

TIA   

She’s nothing close to Vic. Good coach but nothing special. Zero postseason success. 

10 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Will be interested to see where she ends up this time. Even though Moore is smaller, I think she plays Ebo’s position better. Hopefully Masudi has a good off season so we can replace the size Ebo brought 

I would think we go transfer portal for that position. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Will be interested to see where she ends up this time. Even though Moore is smaller, I think she plays Ebo’s position better. Hopefully Masudi has a good off season so we can replace the size Ebo brought 

Yeah, where she ends up should give us a better indication of why she left. I didn't see this coming. Could be academic, wanted to be geographically elsewhere for some reason, or sometimes it can be that the player didn't get to the next level at their present school and thinks the next stop might help them get there. Shouldn't be for playing time unless we have a new center transfer coming in (Yes please). I'm liking Moore, Gaston and Lattimore but those are more PFs. Masudi only had 71 minutes all year and most of those were at the beginning of the year in easy games, I'm not counting on her at this point but hopefully I am wrong. I will miss Ebo.

At the moment, she's the only one (allegedly)

Also she better be grad transferring or she has to submit a waiver because it's her second transfer.  Remember, her first waiver to transfer and play immediately at Texas was denied but she ended up getting the blanket waiver.  She missed a handful of non-conf games in late 2020 before it took effect.

I also assume Vic was preparing for life without her, as she went through Senior Day activity.  So, to me, Vic has a plan already for that position.  Whether it's Moore and Lattimore or a transfer.