Texas Women's Basketball 2021-2022 - "Vic's Got It Going!!"

LTtxfan

It's better that Matharu is transferring now rather than early or mid season because now Hunter knows there's 1 less guard on the roster. 

That's the advantage of building a "dream team." If you don't like your playing time or there are other issues, hit the road because there are other good players that want those minutes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Really interesting reading some of the more "knowledgeable" WBB fans takes on Texas/our roster for 2023 (UConn's Boneyard forum)

Vic has to get this players to buy into his system and and team chemistry is important

Vic took Karen Aston's 2020 roster, with a brand new transfer center (Ebo), a grad transfer PG (Lambert), losing Gaston early in the season and a role player in JAT to the Elite 8.

Then he graduated Charli Collier, lost Celeste Taylor to the portal, brought in Matharu and 4 freshman (Harmon, Hunter and Moore, Lattimore), had Moore/Hunter suffer injuries and miss chunks of the season, and took them to the Elite 8 and a Big 12 tournament title with a freshman PG. 

Then he graduates JAT, loses Warren/Ebo/Lattimore/Matharu to the portal, and brings in Morris, Gonzales, Faye and Jones. 3 of those were very sought after transfers. 

I'm not impressed with Sonya Morris after her performance against UConn

She was 8-23 for 19 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 steal against UConn.  With DePaul's roster.  I will 100% take that performance from Morris when we play UConn this upcoming season.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm impressed with Vic because I thought he might be like Pat Henry at A&M in track and field. Very old school of building a program from the ground up and not willing to take many transfers.

Vic appears to be the complete opposite. He had an elite 8 team and decided to upgrade across the board. 

I've grown to not become attached to players and particularly in basketball as both Beard and Vic look like they're going to do a lot of roster shuffling every year with the portal. We need to start realizing that transfers and roster turnover are no longer a sign of an unhealthy program. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Which publication do you use @Js1 for the recruiting rankings in women's basketball?  

I saw someone mention something called the ASGR on the UCONN board and it has Mwenentanda ranked as the number 10 recruit. That's much higher than she is ranked in the ESPN rankings at number 34. 

I hadn't realized Mwenentanda was considered that quality of recruit by some. I wonder what her minutes are going to look like next season. 

12 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I've grown to not become attached to players and particularly in basketball as both Beard and Vic look like they're going to do a lot of roster shuffling every year with the portal. We need to start realizing that transfers and roster turnover are no longer a sign of an unhealthy program. 

100% true.

Hard to not get attached though, loved me some Lattimore and Mitchell.

I think I'm just not as shocked now as I was but still very disappointed.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Which publication do you use @Js1 for the recruiting rankings in women's basketball?  

I saw someone mention something called the ASGR on the UCONN board and it has Mwenentanda ranked as the number 10 recruit. That's much higher than she is ranked in the ESPN rankings at number 34. 

I hadn't realized Mwenentanda was considered that quality of recruit by some. I wonder what her minutes are going to look like next season. 

ASGR
HoopGurlz (which gets their info from Premier, which is run by Shane Laflin)
Prep Girls hoops
Prospects Nation

2 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I'm impressed with Vic because I thought he might be like Pat Henry at A&M in track and field. Very old school of building a program from the ground up and not willing to take many transfers.

Vic appears to be the complete opposite. He had an elite 8 team and decided to upgrade across the board. 

Interesting for sure.

Easy for me not to be attached as I am a Vic & his program fan but my kids...They're on the floor after every home game and think they're a part of the team/staff. 

Without my kids being interested, I'd only attend 20% of home games because I'd be chasing them around elsewhere. They were very sad at last home game since JAT was done here.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Looks like Morris and Gonzales aren't officially on campus yet - probably means they won't enroll until Fall Session (August). 

Matharu posted a really nice goodbye message on Instagram.  Classy.  I hope she ends somewhere she can really be utilized for her offensive talent, like an Arkansas.  They don't play defense and love to shoot the three.  It would be so perfect for her. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Are we going to be better next year? All I need to know. 

Yes. Better inside game with Taylor Jones, Faye and a healthy Moore and very experienced and capable guard rotation with Harmon, Shaylee and Morris. Question mark for 3PT shooting but depends on Hunter.  

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Probably not related, but Tech may soon be getting some more interest from recruits after this announcement. Hopefully Texas can match….

Damn, $375,000 per year for a team that just went 4-14 in conference last year. I really hope Texas has a plan for our women's teams.

I guess Ashley will feel appreciated now.....

16 hours ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

This is for 2023.

Dammit. I really liked Sammie. Seems like a great kid, wish her well and hope she finds a place that fits for her.

My guess is LSU (she was Baylor/Mulkey for a long time) or aggy (mom was a student athlete there). 

No hard feelings.  She's a bit of a tweener who can shoot, but will that translate into Vic's defense? Dunno.  It's not the system Mulkey runs, so she may be questioning how she fits/if its the right fit for her abiliites.

Vic will either nab another freshman or use that scholly for the portal.  Not worried about it.  

8 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This tweet claims largest... but it's just twitter 😋

It does doesn't it? Still don't know how all this gets reported, might just be the largest announced. Gives us a target to shoot for though, I'm sure it got Vic's attention. Not sure about your ROI on a thing like this but for a booster that may not be the point. One wonders when our evil empire leaves their conference if they will still pony up the cash for WBB.

9 minutes ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

It does doesn't it? Still don't know how all this gets reported, might just be the largest announced. Gives us a target to shoot for though, I'm sure it got Vic's attention. Not sure about your ROI on a thing like this but for a booster that may not be the point. One wonders when our evil empire leaves their conference if they will still pony up the cash for WBB.

My guess is announced, because I haven't seen specifics for Clark Field. 

And yes, we will.  We are going into the SEC - we have to keep up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

This tweet claims largest... but it's just twitter 😋

That's because it's the largest individual deal directed at women's basketball. 

The Clark Collective was an initial $10 million commitment across all sports (so it may be more now). The way Texas is recruiting in the portal in women's basketball, volleyball, women's track and field tells me Texas is not behind in regards to NIL in these sports. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, Js1 said:

Matharu ends up at Florida 

Thought Matharu would end up somewhere better. Florida hasn't won a NCAA tournament game in 8 years and approaching 25 years since they made the 2nd weekend. 

Maybe this is what she wanted. To be a star on a decent but not great team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Thought Matharu would end up somewhere better. Florida hasn't won a NCAA tournament game in 8 years and approaching 25 years since they made the 2nd weekend. 

Maybe this is what she wanted. To be a star on a decent but not great team. 

Yeah, seemed strange to me too, hopefully this is what she wanted.

With that 3 point percentage you would have thought she would have had her pick of suitors.

Considering it's August 3 and we still don't have 2 assistants, I'm guessing they're both coming from the WNBA ranks.  (Johnnie Harris hired LA Sparks' interim HC, who won't join until the season is over but that was already announced in May)

Season ends August 14, so keep your eyes open for the next 2 weeks for some announcement, I hope. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Tell me why that roster can't win a title, without comparing us to SC, Stanford or UConn. 

You have a Freshman All-American PG who shattered the Texas record books as a first year player with 2 very experienced grad transfers in the backcourt with her (Gonzales and Morris) and a frontcourt that consists of three juniors (Gaston, Jones, Faye) and a beast of a sophomore who showed out in the NCAA tournament (Moore), along with a third year defensive stopper off the bench (Holle)

This is now an experienced roster with a lot of talent in Vic's third year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Tell me why that roster can't win a title, without comparing us to SC, Stanford or UConn. 

You have a Freshman All-American PG who shattered the Texas record books as a first year player with 2 very experienced grad transfers in the backcourt with her (Gonzales and Morris) and a frontcourt that consists of three juniors (Gaston, Jones, Faye) and a beast of a sophomore who showed out in the NCAA tournament (Moore), along with a third year defensive stopper off the bench (Holle)

This is now an experienced roster with a lot of talent in Vic's third year. 

That's a lot of new pieces but the talent and experience is definitely there. Just need to learn how to play together and get the new players up to speed with Vic's defense.
Always some luck involved but I can see this group cutting down a lot of nets and absolutely in the running for the last team standing.

Just wish we had all the staff in place, getting pretty late in the year(wft?).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TommysTinyTowels said:

That's a lot of new pieces but the talent and experience is definitely there. Just need to learn how to play together and get the new players up to speed with Vic's defense.
Always some luck involved but I can see this group cutting down a lot of nets and absolutely in the running for the last team standing.

Just wish we had all the staff in place, getting pretty late in the year(wft?).

A) Vic has no shortage of experience getting new pieces into place to make a run when it matters -
2021 - Ebo, Holle, Lambert, Gaston + first year as a staff
2022 - Matharu, Harmon, Moore, Lattimore

B) I think the new hires will come from the WNBA, so we have a few more days until the season ends for them (August 14) 

• Hook 'Em 1

UConn, Texas and more key women’s college basketball questions - Sports Illustrated

1. Can the addition of Shaylee Gonzales help Texas get back to the Final Four?

In each of Vic Schaefer’s first two seasons in Austin, the Longhorns have fallen in the Elite Eight. Last year, behind the stellar play of freshman sensation Rori Harmon, Texas entered the NCAA tournament as a No. 2 seed, and it came within one half of topping their region’s top seed, Stanford. Now in her second season with the program, Harmon, a legitimate All-American candidate, is all but guaranteed to improve. Similar growth can be expected from sophomore forwards Aaliyah Moore and DeYona Gaston. Plus, guard Aliyah Matharu, the team’s leading scorer from last season, is also back for her senior year.

But perhaps no addition around the country could prove to be more consequential than Texas adding Gonzales. A three-time All-WCC first-team selection, Gonzales averaged 18.3 points, 5.9 rebounds and 4.5 assists per game last season. She helped BYU get ranked as high as No. 15 in the AP poll, and eventually carried the Cougars to a 26–4 record and NCAA tournament berth. How exactly she fits into Texas’s backcourt remains to be seen, but Gonzales’s dynamic playmaking could very well be the difference if the Longhorns make their first Final Four since 2003.

Must have been written pre-Matharu or SI just got that flat wrong, lol. 

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

UConn, Texas and more key women’s college basketball questions - Sports Illustrated

Must have been written pre-Matharu or SI just got that flat wrong, lol. 

Yeah, they screwed that up. Sadly.

I'm just busy spooning up to this quote: "perhaps no addition around the country could prove to be more consequential than Texas adding Gonzales."

Hells yes.

Edited by TommysTinyTowels