Getting a dog. Have no idea WTF I’m doing

12 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

As alluded to above a buddy of mine owns some of the Houston Sit Means Sit franchises. I went down the Reddit wormhole and found a bunch of people not liking their methodology using e-collars. I’m all for positive reinforcement teaching but I also want an obedient dog, but not one that’s depressed and always fearful for the next zap. What are y’all’s experiences with shock collars?

Sounds like a lazy solution to me. Humans have been successfully training dogs for millennia prior to the invention of the shock collar. Prior even to the harnessing of electricity. 

Might be too late but we had great success with Nationwide insurance “wellness” plan or something like that. Basically reimburse 90% of vet and stuff like that. It’s worth it for the first year with shots and neutering and all that.

Other advice, crate training! Socialization. Lots of exercise and lots of patience.

Since you have no idea WTF you are doing, you, and the members of your household, need training as much as the dog needs it. Do not drop your dog off somewhere to be trained. You need to be involved in it, so both the dog and you learn. Nothing wore than shitty dog owners. Don't be a shitty dog owner.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Deej said:

Since you have no idea WTF you are doing, you, and the members of your household, need training as much as the dog needs it. Do not drop your dog off somewhere to be trained. You need to be involved in it, so both the dog and you learn. Nothing wore than shitty dog owners. Don't be a shitty dog owner.

That’s right and you can do both. I think training done by a professional without the owner is valuable. But not if a replacement for taking the responsibility for learning how to care and train your dog yourself as well.