Getting a dog. Have no idea WTF I’m doing

crate, bed, leash (not a retractable kind i've never seen a well behaved dog on a retractable leash), oster turbo A5 clippers with gap tooth blades, and an andis pet 10" steel comb.  get the dog used to the clippers as a puppy so it's well behaved during grooming.

• Hook 'Em 1

Crate and kennel train it.  Research puppy food, we have used Fromm and liked it.  Non-retractable leash, 2 bowls and trainer treats.  Dog bed would be good for the crate but don't expect it to last.  Most importantly get a fuck ton of patience.  It will drive you nuts at times.  Find a good vet now so you aren't scrambling for one if an emergency occurs.

Walk it daily, tired dogs are much better behaved.  Brush it at least weekly but preferably a couple of times a week.  Let it interact with other dogs and people often, this is very important.

For a puppy I would also keep some hydrogen peroxide on hand,  forcing the dog to drink it makes them throw up.  This comes in handy for puppies who will eat anything.

Just remember, the more time you invest in the dog from the start the more well mannered it will be throughout its life.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

We have a doodle. Amazing dogs. Needy, but rewarding. They are super smart, good but bad if you don’t manage it. Training is easy but you HAVE to do it.  Get them in classes with other puppies after vaccines to socialize with other dogs, very important. Actual training after that, huge for a well behaved dog. Raw food diet, they live longer. Kibble is shit.  Take them EVERYWHERE the first year. Good for a lot of reasons, one they are pack animals and belong with their pack (you). Two, what they are exposed to they are used to that first year. Kids, pools, other dogs, trails, hiking, rivers, boats, parks, dinner, whatever it is you’ll want to do with your dog for 15 years do with them the first year. Crate or not that’s fine. Ours is small and shares our bed. But we absolutely minimize the time he’s not with us. That’s probably the number one thing you can do for a dog, let them be in your pack as much as possible.  He’s a GREAT dog just ask his god parent @justhookit but a large reason why he’s so good is we did and still do these things. 

• Hook 'Em 5

12 minutes ago, troph said:

We have a doodle. Amazing dogs. Needy, but rewarding. They are super smart, good but bad if you don’t manage it. Training is easy but you HAVE to do it.  Get them in classes with other puppies after vaccines to socialize with other dogs, very important. Actual training after that, huge for a well behaved dog. Raw food diet, they live longer. Kibble is shit.  Take them EVERYWHERE the first year. Good for a lot of reasons, one they are pack animals and belong with their pack (you). Two, what they are exposed to they are used to that first year. Kids, pools, other dogs, trails, hiking, rivers, boats, parks, dinner, whatever it is you’ll want to do with your dog for 15 years do with them the first year. Crate or not that’s fine. Ours is small and shares our bed. But we absolutely minimize the time he’s not with us. That’s probably the number one thing you can do for a dog, let them be in your pack as much as possible.  He’s a GREAT dog just ask his god parent @justhookit but a large reason why he’s so good is we did and still do these things. 

Buddy of mine owns one of the Sit Means Sit franchises in Houston. Definitely going to get him trained when he recommends 

Just now, Fat Bastard said:

Buddy of mine owns one of the Sit Means Sit franchises in Houston. Definitely going to get him trained when he recommends 

That’s awesome, and I’d say that after training the next best thing to do is be with them often, dogs crave to be with us. Doodles will give you so much more than you can give when you include them as much as possible.  

2 hours ago, troph said:

Wut? This is a weird way to ask for more dog support. I better still be in the will.

I love that dog and everything Troph said is spot on. I’d emphasize to get them around other dogs as much as possible. And around kids. I’ve had golden retrievers all my life but never a doodle. Soon though I’ll be getting another and it will likely be a clone of Troph’s.

here’s Quincy ordering a large water at Shorty’s.  bigger than what I want now but a cool golden doodle. He’s probably 85 pounds but his favorite spot is still on a bar stool.

B7323B70-C6C8-482C-A50E-60912C1C534B.jpeg

Don’t do pee pads. You don’t want the dog peeing in the house at all. It’s going to happen of course, but game with the puppy is recognizing when it needs to pee (it’s been long enough, it stops playing and starts sniffing around, etc) and getting it outside. If the dog always pees outside the dog will eventually want to go outside to pee. Get some cleaner for the accidents and don’t let them sit for too long, don’t want the scent to set in and don’t want the dog to establish a “spot” (although it will probably happen to some extent). You’ll be fine.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pinch collar.  Looks medieval, but the tines only pinch the dog's skin when he pulls.  Anyone in the family should be able to walk the dog around the block without issue.

Gentle Leader works better, IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, troph said:

I thought kids were hard work.....

Edited by cabowabo

37 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Halti or gentle leader >> pinch collar. Not for humanitarian reasons, but functional. The dog can't pull with its nose. 

36 minutes ago, baboso said:

Gentle Leader works better, IMO.

I don't have any experience with the gentle leader, but I suspect you all are correct.  Either way, a collar to train the dog for obedient walks is imperative.  Regular flat collars or harnesses don't work and the dog, especially a young dog, will pull and pull.  Eventually, no one wants to take the dog for a walk because its such a PIA. 

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I can appreciate the no shedding, but every poodle mix looks like a grooming nightmare.

we don't brush at all, just get it all cut off every few months.  our pup probably gets groomed 4x a year.

Edited by troph

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

I thought kids were hard work.....

haha.  I take kid responsibility she takes dog responsibility.  but choosing to eat at ABGB outside versus inside or Fresa's outside versus inside and the list goes on is easy.  taking him when we go fishing is easy, taking him on the boat when we go surfing is easy.  and then in turn he's a super easy dog.

• Hook 'Em 1

btw OP, doodles are known to be awesome but they can go neurotic too so understand their limits and respect them.  we know a few neurotic doodles and it's super sad.  they are neurotic because they don't get enough mental stimulation (training/walks/outings, etc.) and enough dog and human time.  it's super sad to see.

take a shit and Piss on your floor, dig a few random holes in your backyard, rip a few of your favorite shoes apart. 
then decide if you really want a dog.  

And pay a boarder $50/day for every night you’re out of town.

And vacuum every fucking day even if the dog doesn’t shed.

I love my dog but she’s my last dog.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Dry dog food only. Better for their teeth and health, plus you can get it in fifty pound bags. No fucking with can openers. You can leave it in the dish all day long and it won't go bad. Only ration it if they start getting fat. Poodles are supposed to be one of the few breeds that doesn't shed - but they'll need trimming. I always used a clarifying shampoo, not the expensive one with sticky additives that pick up dirt. Clean hair smells less. Good luck.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

On 7/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Just put a deposit down on a sheepadoodle. 8 weeks old. Now what?

What equipment do I need?

Crate? Alpo? Dog bed? Leash? Weewee pads? 

please help!!!

Avoid dog feed with corn or corn based product.  Get a leash and collar and get leash broke ASAP. 

pee pads near your door where you’d take them out to pee and train him to go there when he needs to. 

ger a crate and just leave the door open with a bed in there to start crate training. 

On 7/22/2021 at 8:00 PM, Fat Bastard said:

Just put a deposit down on a sheepadoodle. 8 weeks old. Now what?

What equipment do I need?

Crate? Alpo? Dog bed? Leash? Weewee pads? 

please help!!!

Take a bath. Then wrap a hot towel around your head....And then make yourself some soup, get a nap

Teach your dog to heel. Walking a dog isn’t just for physical exercise, it’s also a social exercise. If your dog is leading you around by a leash that’s stretched taut then you’re doing it wrong. Your dog should be walking by your side and the leash should be hanging loose. It takes time and patience to train them. When they try to lead you, you have to stop them and make them sit or lie down. Then start up again. Then when they tug on the leash you have to repeat the process. You may only get a few steps at a time at first. Stick with it. Eventually they’ll learn and you’ll both be happier for it. Your dog wants you to be the leader. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/25/2021 at 2:24 AM, dmtx said:

play with the ears, tug on the tail, rub and push around on their paws, tap em on the nose and top of the head. You know, the stuff vets and little kids will do. get em used to it so they dont snap.

Yes! Great point! 

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I heard something that sounded really smart the other day. The gist of it was that if you can't train your dog, it just means that you haven't found a treat he likes enough to do what you tell him. Get some shit that's absolutely delicious and start rewarding him when he minds you.

That’s one tool in the arsenal of dog training but it’s better for teaching them to do tricks. Wolves and wild dogs don’t reward each other with treats. That’s not a natural way to adjust a dog’s behavior. If a dog barks at everyone and everything every time it walks out the door, how do you use treats to train them not to do that? Sadly, I’ve seen too many dog owners try to explain to their dogs in plain English why they shouldn’t do that, time and time and time again, to no avail. They’re not trying to train their dog. They’re just trying to pretend that they care which they obviously don’t.

Your dog is who you allow it to be. Every time it misbehaves is an opportunity to correct its behavior. Make it pay attention to you. Make it sit or lie down. Make it submit to your will. And you never need to beat them. You should be the first one out the door, not your dog. When company arrives, you should greet them at your door, not your dog. Your dog should be sitting down across the room until you give the okay for them to come meet your guest.

I had a friend whose dog rushed to the door and I could hear him telling her to get back when I rang the doorbell but he didn’t enforce it. I offered to help him by coming to the door repeatedly while he taught her to sit and stay but he declined. That dog also wound up tearing the shit out of his furniture. Poor thing. She was frustrated and didn’t know who was the boss. And you can’t tell someone they suck as a dog owner. But if you don’t want to put in the time and effort to train your dog then get a cat instead. They’ll train you. 

As alluded to above a buddy of mine owns some of the Houston Sit Means Sit franchises. I went down the Reddit wormhole and found a bunch of people not liking their methodology using e-collars. I’m all for positive reinforcement teaching but I also want an obedient dog, but not one that’s depressed and always fearful for the next zap. What are y’all’s experiences with shock collars?

After having st bernard's, we now have two doodles. Wife was absolute about non to very little shedding. Sheepadoodle is 50/50 and at nine mos weighs 80 lbs. The golden is 75 poodle and weighs 45 lbs at nine mos. 

Early pic

20210109_101818.thumb.jpg.e43c52f45d16200c059a2f24dd9487fb.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not a dog expert or qualified to give advice but we used a scat mat to train Kevin to stay the fuck out of the nursery and it was very effective. I would think the problem with a shock collar would have less to do with “omg you’re electrocuting the dog “ (the mat was like a good static shock, I tested it on the highest setting) and more… amateur dog trainer giving the dog very strong feedback but not doing it in a way where the dog understands wtf it is about. We’ve had the mat gone for months and Kevin stays out- I can see him getting neurotic if he got that feedback and wasn’t able to connect it with something specific.

50E5AB63-71E4-498E-BBCF-33777061143E.jpeg

11 hours ago, Fat Bastard said:

As alluded to above a buddy of mine owns some of the Houston Sit Means Sit franchises. I went down the Reddit wormhole and found a bunch of people not liking their methodology using e-collars. I’m all for positive reinforcement teaching but I also want an obedient dog, but not one that’s depressed and always fearful for the next zap. What are y’all’s experiences with shock collars?

Doodles do not need to be shocked they are super easy to train. I mean super easy to train. The labradoodles and golden doodles are so people oriented they take to standard training with nearly no effort. I’d think the other doodles are similar. Now a terrier? Yeah might need some combo treat / shock collar strategies.  I’d recommend finding a standard/traditional training program and do that. We did the puppy class with us, then a training class without us then started using the same training techniques. No refresher courses in over a year and he will walk off a leash next to us. Comes back if he catches a smell with a simple whistle. I taught him that playing hide n seek in the house with treats and whistling till he found me.  He was so ecstatic and happy he found me and got the treat, I’d hate to make that an aversion technique.  The training is so easy it’s almost fun.  Potty training was a breeze, half assed our way to house broken in less than 2 weeks once he was old enough. These dogs are EASY. No need to shock them. Let their nature shine and treat them to obedience. It’ll work. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1