2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

4aa1a8ea6b65d5cddb4059d528ef9614.png

Oh, I dunno

1 hour ago, Cameltoe said:
Once we have a complete roster, the offense will come. 

God damn you are such a fucking troll.

Also the multi quote feature on this site is as overtly stupid and useless as a cameltoe post.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

You’d think it’d be pretty easy to quite camel twice, but not so on my iPhone web browser. 

So the weird ass argument you are going for here is that the 2016 roster was complete and therefore if Shaka can't beat the world with that roster he can't do it with any roster?

Sorry to burst your 2016 roster love bubble, but it was not what I'd call a complete roster. We had one really good player on that team, one. Isaiah Taylor. Roach and Davis were starting as freshmen. A freshman Tevin Mack was getting significant minutes. Ridley was injured most of the year and played in only 13 games. Prince Ibeh in his senior year finally turned out to be somewhat serviceable and a good shot blocker, but that was about all he could do on the court was block shots. He was frankly a terrible basketball player. Cleare, Lammert, Holland, and Yancy round out what was an ok, but far from what I'd call complete, roster.

Add on top of that they weren't Shaka's guys. Add on top of that that by and large those guys weren't rated as highly coming out of HS and the guys we're pulling in now. Your argument is basically worthless. Yet you sit here and post incredulously as though you are bringing down the house with some irrefutable, awesome point.

Edited by Cameltoe

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year was a terrible player?

Prince Ibeh? Yes. He was terrible and never should have been offered by Barnes. A drain on the program contributing nothing for at least 3 years, finally blocking a bunch of shots in his senior year while doing nothing besides that. Easily one of my least favorite horns of all time.

How do you constantly go from slagging off the players from Shaka's first and *clearly* best team/roster, to praising his own players, praising the inferior results with said players, and claiming that he's been a great hire? His best roster and team consisted of Rick Barnes's players. How can yo hold such diametrically opposing beliefs at the same time?

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I invite any of the Shaka Smart champions to compare next year‘s roster with the roster which I have provided above. I especially invite TexasStrong12 to make the first substantive post of his basketball posting career, and give me his own original thoughts as to why next year‘s roster is more well-rounded, more complete, and better overall than the first roster with Shaka inherited. 

I don't want this to get lost. TexasStrong will constantly disagree with my takes to the point of ad hominem insults, but he's never made a single original or compelling post of his own. If he can't go quote someone on twitter or pull up a stat line he says nothing. This guy has crushed Shaka's first roster as having no talent for years, yet he's also been pimping our upcmoing team the same as cameltoe. Compare the two rosters and explain to me how next year's roster is better, more well-rounded, and more talented than the 2015-16 team.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

How do you constantly go from slagging off the players from Shaka's first and *clearly* best team/roster, to praising his own players, praising the inferior results with said players, and claiming that he's been a great hire? His best roster and team consisted of Rick Barnes's players. How can yo hold such diametrically opposing beliefs at the same time?

Except he also minimizes what Mo Bamba brought to this team for reasons I utterly fail to understand. 

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Except he also minimizes what Mo Bamba brought to this team for reasons I utterly fail to understand. 

I do that because in the final 10 games of the season that I watched, Mo Bamba wasn't a big factor for us. It was the other guys who stepped up in the final 10 games of the season, and at times in that stretch we looked better without Mo on the court than with him, due to him getting out of position on defense and being a stagnating iso-player on offense. I also note that that is the only year we will ever get from him and he is old news in relation to rating next year's prospects.

Edited by Cameltoe
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

I do that because in the final 10 games of the season that I watched, Mo Bamba wasn't a big factor for us. It was the other guys who stepped up in the final 10 games of the season, and at times in that stretch we looked better without Mo on the court than with him, due to him getting out of position on defense and being a stagnating iso-player on offense. I also note that that is the only year we will ever get from him and he is old news in relation to rating next year's prospects.

You're such a fabricating piece of shit. 

Besides the fact that the lies which you tell about Bamba often do apply to Jericho Sims, here is what Mo Bamba did over the last 10 games of the season:

16.7 points

11.4 rebounds

3.3 OREB

2.9 blocks

0.8 stl

.772 FT%

.429 3P%

.603 2P%

33.1 mpg

Agree that Prince Ibeh sucked. His "fantastic" senior year he averaged 4 points, 5 boards and shot 41% from the FT line. For a big guy who only dunks he shot a crappy 57% from the field. He was such a great player that year he only earned 18 mpg.

How can an athletic freak like that only get 5 boards per game? He was the most one dimensional player we have ever had, and even that one dimension wasn't that impressive (2 blocks per game).

I was also never very impressed with Ridley. He was slow as dirt. He is the kind of fools gold player that never wins much at the college level in March.

Honestly I was glad to see both of them graduate.

Prince Ibeh single handedly won us games down the stretch with his late-game man to man defense. Can Ridley was dominating people and was our best player in both ends of the floor before his injury.

There are so many fans who either don’t get that role players are important, or that there are different tiers of players. If a guy scores 17 ppg and is a walking calamity everywhere else he’s awesome; if a guy can’t shoot but contributes or even changes the game on other ways he sucks. Really stupid.

Edited by Goo Punch

Also, Ibeh only averaged the 18 minutes that he did because he, like many of Shaka’s players, was inexplicably shut down until his presence was absolutely necessary/the season was lost. Holland, Yancy, Ibeh, Barnett, Sims, Banks, Hamm, Isom. For a guy to go from “can’t see any game time” to “Conference DPOY” simply because of a decent minutes injection was pretty fucking good, as well as being indicative of Shaka’s inability to manage his roster.

Edited by Goo Punch

Prince was terrible offensively, there’s no doubt about that. But he definitely contributed to the team. When I think of players who sucked, Mike Williams sucked. He was bad. JD Lewis sucked- he was terrible. And as far as players who played a lot goes, well, Dylan sucked last year. Same as EDJ the year before. But given what he had to work with, Prince Ibeh was a decent player.

Being tall and athletic means you should automatically be good at basketball? No. He's from London and grew up loving and playing soccer. He didn't even pick up a ball and start playing until he was older. He had no basketball skill. You can't just say, "Well he was athletic so he should have had skill." He didn't. He had athleticism, and he used it well enough to be recognized by the conference as it's outstanding defesnive player after 3.5 years of anonymity. There's no way you can say that he didn't do well for what he had. Literally zero people would ever have projected him to contend for any award, much less win a pretty major award within the league.

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

He’s starting with a conclusion and working his way back from there. He wants to believe we’ll be better next year. The only way to do that is to denigrate the contributions of players who left. That combined with the fact that Mo was our best player last year, mean he’s target #1 for Camel’s dillusions. 

Mo Bamba had one of the all time great seasons for a freshman and/or big man in Texas history, and this clown thinks that if he repeats himself enough that it will undo reality. Bamba didn't dominate, Bamba wasn't special, Bamba wasn't good, Bamba was a liability defensively, Bamba wasn't a rim protector....fuck off with that stupid shit. I'm embarrassed that cameltoe isn't at -350 with his stupid shtick. I've definitely done my part.

Mo Bamba had a great freshman season, but some of you pumping him up now, were the same people blasting him last year. This entire thread is chock full of intellectual dishonesty to meet whatever argument you are trying to make. On both sides. 

Personally, I saw real improvement from the team in the early part of the year. A little adversity hit, and they crumbled. With better coaching, better mental toughness, and offseason improvement, it's possible we could have a better season next year. Despite some drop off in elite talent like Bamba. 

If we don't, we will see if CDC wants to go a different way. I don't see Smart getting fired if we make the tourney though. You fire a coach that makes the tourney and the replacement falters, you get fired yourself. If you really want to get rid of Smart, he needs a 2016 repeat. 

33 minutes ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

Mo Bamba had a great freshman season, but some of you pumping him up now, were the same people blasting him last year. This entire thread is chock full of intellectual dishonesty to meet whatever argument you are trying to make. On both sides. 

Personally, I saw real improvement from the team in the early part of the year. A little adversity hit, and they crumbled. With better coaching, better mental toughness, and offseason improvement, it's possible we could have a better season next year. Despite some drop off in elite talent like Bamba. 

If we don't, we will see if CDC wants to go a different way. I don't see Smart getting fired if we make the tourney though. You fire a coach that makes the tourney and the replacement falters, you get fired yourself. If you really want to get rid of Smart, he needs a 2016 repeat. 

Regardless of the weak generalization and ad hominem attack of intellectual dishonesty, it really doesn't matter what posters on here are saying about Bamba's performance, Bamba was elite.  The data backs this up. Bamba's advanced stats were a shade below First Team All-Americans Ayton and Bagley. He had that much of an impact on the team. 

I'm not sure I'd say there was much lack of mental toughness. The team seemed to respond pretty well to the loss of Jones and the other adversity. At the end of the day, they were being asked to run a horrible offense that doesn't suit them and they lost their best offensive player.  I think the struggles were going to happen regardless of mental toughness.

1 hour ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Regardless of the weak generalization and ad hominem attack of intellectual dishonesty, it really doesn't matter what posters on here are saying about Bamba's performance, Bamba was elite.  The data backs this up. Bamba's advanced stats were a shade below First Team All-Americans Ayton and Bagley. He had that much of an impact on the team. 

I'm not sure I'd say there was much lack of mental toughness. The team seemed to respond pretty well to the loss of Jones and the other adversity. At the end of the day, they were being asked to run a horrible offense that doesn't suit them and they lost their best offensive player.  I think the struggles were going to happen regardless of mental toughness.

In regard to Jones, sure, but they also would play down to competition. That is a focus and mental toughness issue IMO. I put it on the coaches ability to motivate. And for sure the offense is a known issue. Something has to change there. 

1 minute ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

In regard to Jones, sure, but they also would play down to competition. That is a focus and mental toughness issue IMO. I put it on the coaches ability to motivate. And for sure the offense is a known issue. Something has to change there. 

Interesting. I didn't really see that as an issue last year. We seemed to beat the teams we were better than and lose to the teams we were worse than, outside of a loss at OSU, but that will happen once or twice over the course of a season.  We went 0-2 against KU, WVU, and KSU, 2-0 against OU and ISU (again OSU loss was bad), and then had a mixed bag against the middle teams in the conference.  Sure, we had some close games in there but that seems to be more due to having a bad offense and not being able to separate, IMO.  

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

There were a couple dumb posters blasting him, but they either didn't make the jump from Shaggy to Surly, or they don't post here in the offseason.

Wasn't referring to you by any means, I remember you pointing out his impact for our team on a regular basis that don't always create pretty "stats". 

9 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

Interesting. I didn't really see that as an issue last year. We seemed to beat the teams we were better than and lose to the teams we were worse than, outside of a loss at OSU, but that will happen once or twice over the course of a season.  We went 0-2 against KU, WVU, and KSU, 2-0 against OU and ISU (again OSU loss was bad), and then had a mixed bag against the middle teams in the conference.  Sure, we had some close games in there but that seems to be more due to having a bad offense and not being able to separate, IMO.  

There was no competition to play down to in conference. Except maybe Iowa St, and they are tough at home even when they are bad. OOC we barely beat some really bad teams after we lost Jones. 

Edited by Hook'Em0608

4 hours ago, HookEm said:

Disagree. He was TERRIBLE given what he had to work with. He literally might be the best athlete to ever play hoops for Texas. Top-10 at least. He should be wrecking shop in the NBA right now.

I saw him in High School at the Drum in the state finals and was floored it wasn't his first year in the sport.  He did learn to jump on time and run down the court to a spot, but that was the end of his evolution as a basketball player and it took 4 years.  Horrible take by Barnes, and Holland was 1b

DO in his one mediocre year contributed more than Prince did in 4

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hook'Em0608 said:

I'm not saying Smart teams quit or don't play hard. I really only remember us quitting against West Virginia. Smart's teams battle, they just cant score. 

Losing your best 3-pt shooter halfway through the season with a roster lacking other 3-pt threats isn't very conducive to scoring.

Edited by Cameltoe

Lmao, when Prince started getting interest from Kentucky people were creaming themselves that he chose Texas. He was the Jaxson Hayes of his class. I’m sure a certain poster is going to run in here and tell me how much better Hayes is, but that’s not the point. Nobody was lamenting that signing at the time, people were thrilled. Oh and Holland happened to be the no.325 ranked recruit in his class who ended up being the heartbeat of the team, making an all conference team, hitting a game winning shot on the road vs UNC, and became one of Dickie V’s all glue guy team members. Not bad for a guy ranked 325th in his class. But apparently these decisions brought the fall of UT basketball (which I missed) and all of you saw it coming. Y’all a hould have said something back then. Strange.

So easy to make these declarations after-the-fact. Nobody else was rushing to offer Forte, and this isn’t football where you have room to throw one scholarship away just to land one other kid. This is a bunch of strange nit picking at stuff that happened years ago.

Again, we didn’t even actively recruit Holland

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

It was most definitely brought up at the time and has been talked about multiple times since. 

That’s total BS. 100% fabrication. Everybody wanted Ibeh at the time and Holland was someone who we serendipitously found while recruiting Ibeh. 

Edit:

misread what he was saying. Responded to it below.

Edited by Goo Punch