2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's how most teams are going to schedule moving forward because of the RPI tier system. 

hate the tier system. i get why they use it now, but it could use a bunch of improvement to begin with, and missing these awesome hike court matchups is just the cherry on top.

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's how most teams are going to schedule moving forward because of the RPI tier system. 

https://www.hammerandrails.com/2017/12/5/16739334/2018-ncaa-tournament-selection-criteria-changes-rpi-kenpom

"The selection committee will no longer use top 50, top 100, 200 and 201 and above as dividing categories. Instead, the new terminology will be quadrants 1, 2, 3 and 4. The decision is to get away from treating every team the same if the game was on the road, neutral or at home based on their power rating. Now the road/neutral games will matter more."

That just gives more room to confuse fans over why some deserving team is left out... I tell you what, let's make it simple & cut the tournament back to 32 teams, then the season means something for all fans even most preseason games..!

10 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

That just gives more room to confuse fans over why some deserving team is left out... I tell you what, let's make it simple & cut the tournament back to 32 teams, then the season means something for all fans even most preseason games..!

The NCAA's bank account says no, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2018 at 2:39 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Should be wins:

Eastern Illinois

ULL

Citadel

Radford

VCU (Lost Tillman so they should be pretty meh)

Grand Canyon

UT Arlington (Lost their 2 best players in Hervey and Neal) 

@ Georgia (Bad team that lost their best player in Maten)

Toss ups: 

Purdue (lost 3/4 of their best players in Edwards, Haas, and Mathias). Texas should win this at home. Purdue is in rebuild mode to a degree. 

Arkansas (lost 2 good players in Barford and Beard). They should still be a tournament caliber team on a neutral court. 

Providence (lost 3/4 of their best players in Cartwright, Bullock and Lindsay). Similar to Purdue. Good team last year but lost a lot and we get them at home. 

I just have to look at who we would play in the Las Vegas tournament but this is a really favorable schedule. 2/3 of the toughest games are at home against teams that are rebuilding. The other tough non-conference game is on a neutral court. 

Carsen Edwards is back this year.

21 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

Carsen Edwards is back this year.

@Bitterwhiteguy I realize Edwards committed to Purdue about 3 or 4 months after Shaka took the job here, but did Shaka ever go after him? And if you know, what was the prevailing opinion among gurus on who was the better player between Edwards and Jacob Young during the summer of 2015. Hindsight makes that seem like a big miss if the choice was between the 2. 

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

@Bitterwhiteguy I realize Edwards committed to Purdue about 3 or 4 months after Shaka took the job here, but did Shaka ever go after him? And if you know, what was the prevailing opinion among gurus on who was the better player between Edwards and Jacob Young during the summer of 2015. Hindsight makes that seem like a big miss if the choice was between the 2. 

I'm not a recruiting guru so take my view with a grain of salt, but he didn't have an offer from Texas and Shaka's staff took awhile to get recruiting up to full speed so my guess is no, or at least nothing major. It's also worth considering that trying to bring in another PG might have cost Shaka Andrew Jones, where at least with Jacob they can say they were going for an off-ball shooter. Nothing in recruiting happens in a vacuum.

https://www.barkingcarnival.com/2018/7/13/17568956/i-think-andrew-jones-coming-back-texas-longhorns

"I think Andrew Jones plays this year. I won’t guarantee it as his treatments aren’t over, but everything I’m hearing in the background speaks to ‘when’ he returns rather than ‘if’ he returns. The family is quietly optimistic in that way where they don’t want to say anything for fear of jinxing it, but the language some in their camp are using to describe his return to Texas is decidedly more positive than it was a few months ago. His doctors are similarly optimistic. There’s an ESPN film crew following Jones around campus for an upcoming documentary, which doesn’t seem like something they’d do if he was getting worse. He’s moved into the dorms for the summer, and he’s posting videos like this to Instagram:"

I've been saying for awhile now and I think it is growing increasingly more likely but I think there is a very high chance that jones plays this year in some capacity.  He may not start.  He may only play 10 minutes a game.  He may not even play until the 2nd semester but I definitely think he will be back.

On 6/28/2018 at 9:39 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Should be wins:

Eastern Illinois

ULL

Citadel

Radford

VCU (Lost Tillman so they should be pretty meh)

Grand Canyon

UT Arlington (Lost their 2 best players in Hervey and Neal) 

@ Georgia (Bad team that lost their best player in Maten)

Toss ups: 

Purdue (lost 3/4 of their best players in Edwards, Haas, and Mathias). Texas should win this at home. Purdue is in rebuild mode to a degree. 

Arkansas (lost 2 good players in Barford and Beard). They should still be a tournament caliber team on a neutral court. 

Providence (lost 3/4 of their best players in Cartwright, Bullock and Lindsay). Similar to Purdue. Good team last year but lost a lot and we get them at home. 

I just have to look at who we would play in the Las Vegas tournament but this is a really favorable schedule. 2/3 of the toughest games are at home against teams that are rebuilding. The other tough non-conference game is on a neutral court. 

Do we have to play the whole Canyon? Christ the have a deep line-up.

No one wants to see Andrew back on the court more than me but this stuff and these articles need to stop. Derka, Im not trying to be rude to you or anyone writing articles but this needs to stop.

If he makes it back great but he probably needs to redshirt. All of this PR isn't helpful and can put pressure on him and his family unnecessarily. 

3 hours ago, HookEm said:

Shouldn't you discern that before thread crapping?  SMH.

Im not thread crapping. I am pointing out that this young man is still undergoing treatments until September and although its great to support him, he still has a long way to go. Saying that you can't wait to see him play next year could be giving him false hope and thats not fair to the young man.

My .02 

On 7/18/2018 at 12:20 AM, realgreggym said:

No one wants to see Andrew back on the court more than me but this stuff and these articles need to stop. Derka, Im not trying to be rude to you or anyone writing articles but this needs to stop.

If he makes it back great but he probably needs to redshirt. All of this PR isn't helpful and can put pressure on him and his family unnecessarily. 

We've had some form of this discussion elsewhere (assuming you have the same username on SBNation), and I appreciate your desire to let Jones & his family make their own decision. Having said that - and there's not really a way I can assure you of this without revealing my sources - I can pretty confidently say they don't give a damn what anyone else is saying, they're making their own decisions based upon what Andrew and his doctors are saying about his status. Nobody that matters is pushing Andrew to return, there are people within that group expressing the proper amount of caution and the group as a whole (including Shaka) is listening to the doctors. That family is tight and they're taking a very rational, level-headed, long-term view of the situation; they're not going to put him out on the court unless Andrew and his doctors (who aren't affiliated with UT, in case you're concerned about conflicts of interest) say he's good to return.

This is being handled extremely responsibly by the people who matter.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

We've had some form of this discussion elsewhere (assuming you have the same username on SBNation), and I appreciate your desire to let Jones & his family make their own decision. Having said that - and there's not really a way I can assure you of this without revealing my sources - I can pretty confidently say they don't give a damn what anyone else is saying, they're making their own decisions based upon what Andrew and his doctors are saying about his status. Nobody that matters is pushing Andrew to return, there are people within that group expressing the proper amount of caution and the group as a whole (including Shaka) is listening to the doctors. That family is tight and they're taking a very rational, level-headed, long-term view of the situation; they're not going to put him out on the court unless Andrew and his doctors (who aren't affiliated with UT, in case you're concerned about conflicts of interest) say he's good to return.

Thanks for the info.  That's great to hear.  Hopefully when he does come back we are good enough that we can ease him back into things instead of trying to force him into a star role from day one.  It sounds like whatever is best for Andrew will be done and that everyone in the family and at Texas are on the same page.

1 hour ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I appreciate your note and I am glad that you didn't reveal your sources. I understand everything that you've said but here is my concern. My concern is the emotional side of this. Today is July. How is he and the family going to respond in October and when the season starts. I know that everyone is going to be rational and do what's right for him but if he is feeling ok even though he shouldn't be out there, the family might give in because of emotions. I have seen too many times where emotion got in the way of rational decisions.

Having said that, I trust what you say is correct and I never had any concern about Coach Smart and the doctors doing the right thing. Thanks again for your note.

Who will be Texas' best player next year?

Who will be Texas' best player in the last three minutes of the game?

Of the returning players, who will have made the greatest improvement?

How many (and who) of the new players will have significant playing time?

How will B12 coaches attack and defend this Texas team?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

Who will be Texas' best player next year?

Who will be Texas' best player in the last three minutes of the game?

Of the returning players, who will have made the greatest improvement?

How many (and who) of the new players will have significant playing time?

How will B12 coaches attack and defend this Texas team?  

The answer to the first 2 questions completely depends on how healthy Andrew Jones is.  A healthy Jones is the best player and who you want with the ball in your hands with the game on the line.  Without Jones I answer them all this way...

1.  Matt Coleman

2. Matt Coleman

3. Jericho Sims

4. Hepa will make the biggest impact because of need.  Long will get minutes spelling Coleman at PG and as an off the ball shooter.  I think they are the only ones above 10 mpg.  Everyone else will play but not normally big minutes.  Cunningham definitely redshirts.

5. Opposing teams should play zone against us forcing the team to make outside shots.  They should also be attacking our big when we are on defense.  DO isn't a very good defender and Sims will be in foul trouble a lot.

•Who will be Texas' best player next year?

Kerwin Roach- senior leader, best all-around player. If he can shoot he's All Big XII material. A healthy Andrew Jones would be our best player by a mile, but that's not happening.

•Who will be Texas' best player in the last three minutes of the game?

Matt Coleman- already shown that he likes the big moments and wants the ball in late-game situations. Embraces the moment. We want the ball in his hands.

•Of the returning players, who will have made the greatest improvement?

Jericho Sims- Ridiculous athlete with such a lack of refined skill and basketball acumen as a freshman, his room for improvement is by far the highest on the team. He should be averaging 8+ and 8+ with 2 blocks if he can stay out of foul trouble. Sky is the limit as a defender/rebounder.

Also, DO had fucking better be much improved. He already has plenty of skill, so for him it's more about showing it during games and making better decisions.

•How many (and who) of the new players will have significant playing time?

We aren't going to rely on any of them- the heavy lifting will be done by returning players such as DO, Coleman, and Roach. Long will get minutes, and i suspect that Hepa will be next in line for minutes, but i doubt that any of them are consistently impactful. 

•How will B12 coaches attack and defend this Texas team?  

Defensively- dare us to shoot until we prove we can shoot. force us to settle for jump shots, and keep Sims off the offensive glass. force guys to shoot off the dribble. pack it in inside the 3-point line, or just play zone. 

Offensively- Go at Sims and get him in foul trouble early. After that play inside-out. We will be extremely weak defensively in the post after Sims, and we are depending on him to have made great strides defensively, at least up to par with a Jarrett Allen type of player. Asking him to be Bamba or Ibeh is too much. I predict that this team will give up the highest opp FG% during Shaka's time here, barring outstanding individual defensive efforts from multiple guards/wings.

Edited by Goo Punch

57 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

•Who will be Texas' best player next year?

Kerwin Roach- senior leader, best all-around player. If he can shoot he's All Big XII material. A healthy Andrew Jones would be our best player by a mile, but that's not happening.

•Who will be Texas' best player in the last three minutes of the game?

Matt Coleman- already shown that he likes the big moments and wants the ball in late-game situations. Embraces the moment. We want the ball in his hands.

•Of the returning players, who will have made the greatest improvement?

Jericho Sims- Ridiculous athlete with such a lack of refined skill and basketball acumen as a freshman, his room for improvement is by far the highest on the team. He should be averaging 8+ and 8+ with 2 blocks if he can stay out of foul trouble. Sky is the limit as a defender/rebounder.

Also, DO had fucking better be much improved. He already has plenty of skill, so for him it's more about showing it during games and making better decisions.

•How many (and who) of the new players will have significant playing time?

We aren't going to rely on any of them- the heavy lifting will be done by returning players such as DO, Coleman, and Roach. Long will get minutes, and i suspect that Hepa will be next in line for minutes, but i doubt that any of them are consistently impactful. 

•How will B12 coaches attack and defend this Texas team?  

Defensively- dare us to shoot until we prove we can shoot. force us to settle for jump shots, and keep Sims off the offensive glass. force guys to shoot off the dribble. pack it in inside the 3-point line, or just play zone. 

Offensively- Go at Sims and get him in foul trouble early. After that play inside-out. We will be extremely weak defensively in the post after Sims, and we are depending on him to have made great strides defensively, at least up to par with a Jarrett Allen type of player. Asking him to be Bamba or Ibeh is too much. I predict that this team will give up the highest opp FG% during Shaka's time here, barring outstanding individual defensive efforts from multiple guards/wings.

Definitely need a good showing from the DO/Hepa/Hayes/Hamm combo each game... and since only DO has any college gameplay experience, he'll need to carry a good part of that load and focus on his fundamentals rather than his cornrows

curious as to why y'all rank coleman > roach for next year. coleman should be a great option 1a, but i'd be very surprised if he was our best player next year. roach has seniority and a better all-around game, and is way more physically developed. he's also a much better defender.

1.  I think best will be Roach, but most important will be Coleman and that is because I expect the ball to be in his hands for the majority of the offense.

2. Coleman.  If Texas has a lead or is tied then I'd like to see Coleman with the ball in the last three minutes.  If behind then I want to see tremendous defensive pressure.

3. Sims would be the likely candidate, but I'm holding out hope on Febres. 

4. Hepa, Long and Ramey are who I'm counting on with possibility that Hayes gets minutes due to foul trouble with Sims.   I'm interested in seeing how Liddell does in pre-conference games and whether he'll be effective.

5. I doubt KU, WVU and KSU make many adjustments when facing Texas.  They are what they are.  Still thinking about the others.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

curious as to why y'all rank coleman > roach for next year. coleman should be a great option 1a, but i'd be very surprised if he was our best player next year. roach has seniority and a better all-around game, and is way more physically developed. he's also a much better defender.

I think they are pretty damn close and wouldn't argue against either one being the best.  I chose Coleman due to how much he will have the ball in his hands, his leadership, and his importance late in close games.

15 hours ago, txhorns said:

I think they are pretty damn close and wouldn't argue against either one being the best.  I chose Coleman due to how much he will have the ball in his hands, his leadership, and his importance late in close games.

Same. This team will go as Coleman goes, so overall, he's most important.  Point guard drives the bus and, while I love Roach, I don't want him driving the bus.

Also yeah, I kind of forgot about Febres. If he finds his stroke as a sophomore, watch out.

Edited by Js1

I sure hope this team shoots better from 3. 

While we should definitely be better, we still don't look to be all that great. Kerwin Roach is our best returning 3-point shooter, not counting AJ who obviously doesn't project to be a full time/full strength player if he even plays at all. The numbers are ugly:

49009a5c67622f020942ecdc4d67f41f.png

The easiest fix will be to 86 the plethora of terrible shots taken by poor shooters.
  • Like 1

Matt and Febres should be better as sophomores.  Roach is fine.  DO doesn't need to take 4.3 attempts per game when only 1 is a good look.

Long was a 37% shooter. Easily would be tops on this team. 

Edited by Js1