2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

five huge freshmen recruits? really? outside of ramey, none of the other four project to have any sort of substantive role in our team for this coming season. as per the usual under shaka we're going to have a handful of guys playing the vast majority of our minutes, especially once conference play rolls around. 

Well I really don't have an idea of what their impact will be this season until I see them play. What I do know is that they're all basically top 100 guys with some hype about them coming in. Not Duke/Kentucky one-and-done level hype, but some hype. Given 5 of them, all competing in practice, I suspect that one or two of them will have a significant positive impact for us this year, maybe more than 2.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

five huge freshmen recruits? really? outside of ramey, none of the other four project to have any sort of substantive role in our team for this coming season. as per the usual under shaka we're going to have a handful of guys playing the vast majority of our minutes, especially once conference play rolls around. 

I bet Hepa does.

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I bet Hepa does.

I bet he's next in line for minutes, but i'll be surprised if he has any sort of consistent role during conference play. more likely that he has spots where he shines mixed with longer stretches where he does nothing, based mostly on shaka's minutes patterns at texas. for example last year jericho sims couldn't even get any time on the floor despite us having zero post depth and a need for exactly what he brought to the table. you could probably say the same about jordan barnett before him. 

Edited by Goo Punch

very true, but you didn't address his point about the lack of 3 point shooting and a proven rim protector.
Jones, Long, & Roach (yes Roach) are all decent to above average 3pt shooters (provided Roach continues where he left off last season). Add in improvement from Febres, Coleman, Osetkowski (with fewer attempts), and whatever anyone of the freshmen have to offer and we can hopefully have an avg 3pt shooting team. At the very least we shouldn't be atrocious from outside the arc anymore.

I bet he's next in line for minutes, but i'll be surprised if he has any sort of consistent role during conference play. more likely that he has spots where he shines mixed with longer stretches where he does nothing, based mostly on shaka's minutes patterns at texas. for example last year jericho sims couldn't even get any time on the floor despite us having zero post depth and a need for exactly what he brought to the table. you could probably say the same about jordan barnett before him. 
Jordan Barnett played for 1 month under Shaka. He was gone at the end of Shaka's first semester here.

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:
very true, but you didn't address his point about the lack of 3 point shooting and a proven rim protector.

Jones, Long, & Roach (yes Roach) are all decent to above average 3pt shooters (provided Roach continues where he left off last season). Add in improvement from Febres, Coleman, Osetkowski (with fewer attempts), and whatever anyone of the freshmen have to offer and we can hopefully have an avg 3pt shooting team. At the very least we shouldn't be atrocious from outside the arc anymore.

if our shot selection doesn't drastically change then we're still going to be fucked from deep. last year guys like DO and Coleman, who i believe shot ~27% from deep, we're constantly taking ill advised threes with no repercussions.

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Read more  

Jordan Barnett played for 1 month under Shaka. He was gone at the end of Shaka's first semester here.

and? you don't think that his never seeing the floor might have contributed to that? we didn't exactly have a long line of athletic small forwards in front of him and he still wasn't in shaka's plans, same as sims last year. Barnett played plenty as a freshman under Barnes and then was told he wasn't wanted or needed by shaka, so i'm failing to see your point.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
1 hour ago, Nolacycling said:

The potential is there. There are questions with all of those.

Roach - can he do it for a whole season?

Long - can he do it while playing a high-major schedule? And how long can he stay on the floor without being a liability on defense?

Febres - the stroke is mostly pure, but can he show consistency? And can he be a competent player on defense?

Coleman - hasn't shown it yet

Osetkowski - hasn't shown it yet. I charted it out on the other site, but he was never more than a low 30s/high 20s BTA shooter against quality competition at Tulane.

Freshmen - they are freshmen.

Jones - no idea what we're going to get out of him.

• Like 1

and? you don't think that his never seeing the floor might have contributed to that? we didn't exactly have a long line of athletic small forwards in front of him and he still wasn't in shaka's plans, same as sims last year. Barnett played plenty as a freshman under Barnes and then was told he wasn't wanted or needed by shaka, so i'm failing to see your point.
We had plenty of wings that season. All of whom rightfully played ahead of Barnett. Davis, Roach, Mack, Yancy, Holland, and at times Felix would roll out at 2 alongside Taylor.

46 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:
53 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

We had plenty of wings that season. All of whom rightfully played ahead of Barnett. Davis, Roach, Mack, Yancy, Holland, and at times Felix would roll out at 2 alongside Taylor.

only one of those guys played the same position/had the same skill set as Jordan Barnett. We could have used Barnett, but he was not in Shaka's plans. Same as Sims last year. At least this time Sims was one of Shaka's guys so we aren't in danger of losing him.

Edited by Goo Punch

48 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

So Jordan and his 179 minutes in 34 gms under Barnes is playing "plenty", while the 628 minutes played by Sims is "not even getting on the floor". We get it. You don't like Shaka, but the way you go scorched earth with everything relating to Shaka is getting nauseating.

"scorched earth"?  jesus christ words have no meaning any more. also, good christ what a disingenuous argument you're making. first off, Barnett didn't play 34 games, Barnett played in 21 games under Barnes as a true freshman, which yes, is playing "plenty" considering what he was capable of and the fact that he was a true freshman on a team full of upperclassmen. But hey, who gives a fuck about context, right?

Speaking of which, let's segue into your point about Sims and all of his super meaningful minutes. Let's look at the context there. Jericho's team had two, count em, TWO total post players who got any meaningful minutes, and one of them was really only a post player in name, seeing how much time DO spent on the perimeter jacking up terrible threes. On a team that actually needed more of a post presence Sims was a spare part until Bamba got hurt. He played 5 minutes vs KU, 8 minutes vs ISU, 13 vs Baylor, 14 vs TTU, 9 vs ISU, 12 vs TTU, and a whopping 8 vs OU. Aside from one outlier game vs TCU in which he played 41 minutes, Sims didn't start seeing consistent minutes until February 2nd when the team was already 5-5 in Big XII play. But yeah, he was just a huge part of our team, right?

i get it, you do like shaka and i somehow manage to push your buttons no matter what i say, but you don't have to stoop this low just to come up with this sort of completely disingenuous argument for the sake of arguing. You know damn well that we could have used both Barnett and Sims more than we did.

Edited by Goo Punch

do you even realize what you're saying, or are you so caught up in being offended at every criticism of shaka that you're defending his usage of Jericho Sims last year?

From January 22 - February 21 Sims saw 13 mpg and averaged 4 points and 2 rebounds. Then Bamba went down, he got 32 mpg, and he averaged 10 points, 9.2 reb, 1 blk, and 1 stl. But yeah, you're right, he was totally being used correctly prior to that, while we had DO playing all of the minutes at the 4, out on the perimeter missing threes while our team kept losing close games. What a totally "scorched earth" take that is. 🙄

Edited by Goo Punch

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One of the keys to success this year will be Shaka managing the bench better. Honestly no one outside of Roach and maybe Sims should avg 30 minutes or more this year if he’s doing things right. And in all honesty with Hayes added muscle Sims doesn’t need to avg that many minutes regardless. Between, Hayes, Hamm, & Hepa the 3 of them have to chip away at any potential overusage of Dylan and Sims. Not to mention throwing in one of Cunningham or Liddell at the occasional small ball 4. Liddell looks taller than listed in all the pics I’ve seen online.

@Goo Punch I guess in your binary worldview where people can only be fully immersed in the tank for Shaka or laying siege to every move and decision the man makes (including preseason marketing videos in some cases) I appear to be offended by every critique of him.  However to a neutral observer the above quoted post would be clear acknowledgement that he hasn't managed the roster well at all. As for criticisms I've had for Shaka, reference any game thread on the other site or numerous post I've made this year criticizing his decisions.  Sorry I don't get irate about preseason workout videos. I'll leave that to you.  

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

Just now, Catdaddyhorn said:

@Goo Punch I guess in your binary worldview where people can only be fully immersed in the tank for Shaka or laying siege to every move and decision the man makes (including preseason marketing videos in some cases) I appear to be offended by every critique of him.  However to a neutral observer the above quoted post would be clear acknowledgement that he hasn't managed the roster well at all. As for just criticism I've had for Shaka reference any game thread on the other site or numerous post I've made this year criticizing his decisions.  Sorry I don't get irate about preseason workout videos. I'll leave that to you.  

jesus christ you are so dramatic. if this is your take on my contention that Jericho Sims should have played more then there's no point in trying to discuss anything with you. You are to defending shaka what you erroneously believe me to be when it comes to not liking him. You lose your mind every time i criticize him- literally every single time. NO CRITICISM AT ALL, no matter how deserved it is. Take that shit to hornfans.

Today I got time cuz.  

Where did I disagree with the contention that Jericho should've gotten more time? I simply brought up your word choice and the hypocrisy you demonstrated in describing Barnett's and Jericho's playing time.  If your default setting weren't always set to complete rage everytime you post you might remember takes from other people on this board and have a clue where people stand on subjects such as roster management and minute deployment.  As I said in the post I quoted before, this year's success will be largely dependent on Shaka better allocating minutes. And to be clear, in case you're already firing away on your phone,  yes Jericho should've played a hell of a lot more then he did. Mismanagement of the roster has been an issue every year he's been here.  

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Today I got time cuz.  

Where did I disagree with the contention that Jericho should've gotten more time? I simply brought up your word choice and the hypocrisy you demonstrated in describing Barnett's and Jericho's playing time.  If your default setting weren't always set to complete rage everytime you post you might remember takes from other people on this board and have a clue where people stand on subjects such as roster management and minute deployment.  As I said in the post I quoted before, this year's success will be largely dependent on Shaka better allocating minutes. And to be clear, in case you're already firing away on your phone,  yes Jericho should've played a hell of a lot more then he did. Mismanagement of the roster has been an issue every year he's been here.  

i don't think you know what hypocrisy means, and you definitely don't understand how context works. One guy was surplus to requirements but we got him action in 21 games anyway. The other guy was much needed and could have/should have had a bigger role in our team, yet was only seeing sporadic minutes before bamba got hurt. You are either intentionally ignoring this because you have an axe to grind, or you literally don't understand how context works.

its like if you have a freshman reserve guard come in and hit three threes and finish with 11 points and three assists you say, "so and do had a great game!", where the exact same performance would be seen as a letdown had it come from your all american senior leader. context- it matters. 

nobody, and i mean *nobody*, has the ability to fixate on some incredibly minor detail and blow it completely out of proportion like you do. it's amazing. we're having a conversation about Shaka's minutes rotation and you're going to war over my verbiage when describing jordan barnett's pt under barnes. whether you realize it or not you are obsessed with this practice. it's mind boggling really.

Edited by Goo Punch

12 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I see the basketball board is rounding into season form. 

the stark contrast between basketball and football here is beyond puzzling. the football coach hasn't even been here 1.5 years and he's being completely written off and burned in effigy by everyone on the football board. the basketball coach has been here for 3+ years, has a record that would make Tom Penders look bad, and *literally* all criticism of him is strictly verboten. *any* criticism of him is met with outrage. it's absolutely puzzling.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Question is who does Shaka trust?  Shaka is big on his players making decisions on the court.  A lot of time at Texas that has lead to fucking up at end of game situations.  He obviously trusts Coleman. Does he have more players this year he trusts over prior years?  Yeah, that's why I'm excited to see the team.  Does the team have holes?  Yeah, big ones like being able to shoot and defend especially the rim. If Shaka is a student of the NBA game, then I hope he sees what Utah is doing with a poor shooting secondary point man.  See Rubio section in Lowe's espn article.  Ramey can do that.

I don't really give a fuck about the last three years, it's all about now.  Can Shaka and the team do it this year?  By doing it, I mean play good, smart ball.

4 hours ago, txhorns said:

This is the most ironic thing I have ever seen on Shaggy/Surly

it's especially hilarious that TS12 would pos rep this, as he does the exact same thing. he takes the most minor minor minor part of your post, something that at the end of the day is totally irrelevant (like whether or not barnett's PT under Rick Barnes qualifies as "plenty" in an argument about Shaka Smart not playing Jericho Sims enough) and then make his next 7 posts/1,000 words all about how said minor point is wrong. I might enjoy arguing, but i don't get caught up in derailing the subject so that i can raül on something so minor and irrelevant to the topic.

but wait, lemme guess- you're going to point to me not liking the fact that everything out of shaka's mouth is coschspeak and therefore worthless as evidence to the contrary- right? i thought so. making one post about something small that irks me does not equal incessantly harping on the most trivial portion of somebody else's argument, over and over and over again. 

shit, just go back and look at what started all of this idiocy- catdaddy taking exception to my contention that Barnett should have played more under shaka. he quotes me to point out that barnett transferred under shaka- which is exactly my point! i still have no idea how saying that was supposed to do anything but support what my entire contention, and yet here we are. we could have used another big, athletic wing who could shoot, but shaka didn't want him. replace "athletic wing who could shoot" with "athletic. if who blocks shots and rebounds" and you have Sims last year.

21 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Question is who does Shaka trust?  Shaka is big on his players making decisions on the court.  A lot of time at Texas that has lead to fucking up at end of game situations.  He obviously trusts Coleman. Does he have more players this year he trusts over prior years?  Yeah, that's why I'm excited to see the team.  Does the team have holes?  Yeah, big ones like being able to shoot and defend especially the rim. If Shaka is a student of the NBA game, then I hope he sees what Utah is doing with a poor shooting secondary point man.  See Rubio section in Lowe's espn article.  Ramey can do that.

I don't really give a fuck about the last three years, it's all about now.  Can Shaka and the team do it this year?  By doing it, I mean play good, smart ball.

There's no question who Shaka trusts, he trusts Coleman and Snoop. We saw that at the end of last year, in the end of critical games the ball was in Coleman's hands or Snoop's.

You say that shooting and D are holes. That's true, but I don't necessarily agree they are big holes. We'll need to defend, and we'll need to shoot a higher percentage from 3 this year, but both of those things are what talented basketball players live to do, and we have talented ball players on the roster.

I think it's absurd that Coleman isn't mentioned in this Athlon Preseason mag's list of top 100 players in the country. He outplayed Tre Young in both OU games last year.

On 9/21/2018 at 9:28 PM, dogbreath said:

We could struggle down low. Sims can't do it all by himself and we all know DO is a fat, lazy fuck. How will we defend giants like Azubuke at Kansas and Sagne Kobate at WVU. I really hope that Hepa and Hayes are ready to go, and that Liddell is up to the task of defending beyond his height.