2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I can understand the catch phrase argument. It can seem silly that catch phrases can have an impact on recruiting. They do, but not in the obvious way. It’s not about just the phrase.

Catch phrases are part of a systematic marketing campaign universities use to establish a brand identity, with an attempt to meet the emotional needs of a potential buyer (the recruit). Catch phrases do two things. They establish a market position for the University brand, and they tap into the human need to be part of a group. These things help land a recruit.

You can argue it’s b.s. but the multi-billion dollar advertising market proves that marketing and advertising are critically important, even in recruiting.

Another example is twitter graphics. That is a critical element of the marketing campaign.

the advertising industry is not analogous to cbb recruiting, and catch phrases have zero impact on where a recruit decides to go. can you cite even one source showing that a catch phrase had an impact on where a single recruit chose to play ball?

oh and as for your contention that your boy ts12 isn't petty or combative, he's doing a real bang up job of refuting those ideas in this thread. he cannot help himself but to "take it there" and make it personal. every single time. 

Edited by Goo Punch

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the advertising industry is not analogous to cbb recruiting,

This is so dumb. Advertisers are trying to sell to buyers and coaches are trying to sell to recruits. It's the exact same thing. 

It's why Herman hires all these social media/communication support staff people. Messaging matters but you do you. For somebody that says "you don't follow recruiting" it's amazing how you have such a strong opinion on this subject.

Log off surly and go follow some Texas Longhorn football related accounts and you will see how much they value messaging/branding/or whatever you want to call it. 

Edited by texasstrong12

again, for the millionth time, the stupid catch phrases have been a major part of our program since well before tom herman was even hired at texas, much less prior to "a few months ago" when texas apparently starting using social media more ardently. and again, our actual team uses these catch phrases on a day to day basis, which has absolutely nothing to do with recruiting. you keep throwing this huge social media blanket over these catch phrases like it's all the same thing, when the fact is that shaka and his program use these catch phrases behind closed doors 90% of the time. day after day after day since the moment shaka was hired our actual team uses these catch phrases as some sort of rallying cry, and i'm over it due to how poor our program has been despite our use of shaka's many profound catch phrases. you're the one who brought this tangential recruiting angle into this conversation when that's not even what was being talked about in the first place, and now you won't let it go.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

again, for the millionth time, the stupid catch phrases have been a major part of our program since well before tom herman was even hired at texas, much less prior to "a few months ago" when texas apparently starting using social media more ardently. and again, our actual team uses these catch phrases on a day to day basis, which has absolutely nothing to do with recruiting. you keep throwing this huge social media blanket over these catch phrases like it's all the same thing, when the fact is that shaka and his program use these catch phrases behind closed doors 90% of the time. day after day after day since the moment shaka was hired our actual team uses these catch phrases as some sort of rallying cry, and i'm over it due to how poor our program has been despite our use of shaka's many profound catch phrases. you're the one who brought this tangential recruiting angle into this conversation when that's not even what was being talked about in the first place, and now you won't let it go.

This is such a weird hill to die on but it's totally you. Have you ever watched press conferences/interviews of coaches? 95% of it's coachspeak bullshit with catch phrases like "give 100%". 

Nobody here is happy with the results including me. 

But when you melt over inconsequential shit like this it's just laughable at this point. Who the fuck cares even if it isn't recruiting related? I'm shocked that a head coach throws out a few catch phrases and mantras. Mind blown. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah you totally have the moral high ground here. you freak out every time i criticize the team, you go on these long rants, you insult me over and over, and the. you somehow convince yourself that i'm the one who freaks out. just stop.

You find the most inane bullshit to get upset about. This entire discussion is fucking stupid.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

You find the most inane bullshit to get upset about. This entire discussion is fucking stupid.

right after making my post somebody pos repped it, so i'm clearly not alone here. did it need to turn into this huge deal? no it did not. but again, i can't control the way other people react or how they progressively get more and more angry and insulting when i don't change my mind. 

yeah, the real season is gonna be great, can't wait. really looking forward to seeing what shaka has in store for us this year. intotally believe in him. helluva coach. 25 wins minimum with our loaded all time recruiting class and best coach in the conference.

Edited by Goo Punch

On 8/18/2018 at 5:08 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Yeah, it was obvious a few months ago that Texas was going to step up it's social media integration when they started producing more NBA graphics. Which is clearly directed at Will Baker. Almost every interview I've seen from Baker he talks about the "first round picks" Horn has produced. 

My guess is these new graphics, Shaka's increased presence on Twitter, and other recruiting tactics like "mantras"/"catch phrases' are all related. I think Shaka saw the success Herman had last cycle with social media integration in recruiting and realized he needed to step it up in that department. 

I think it has less to do with Shaka watching Herman or aiming at Will Baker and more to do with having an actual AD as AD for the first time in years. Nearly every aspect of the various programs has stepped up in the past few months, it's not by accident.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bitterwhiteguy said:

I think it has less to do with Shaka watching Herman or aiming at Will Baker and more to do with having an actual AD as AD for the first time in years. Nearly every aspect of the various programs has stepped up in the past few months, it's not by accident.

This is the answer. Volleyball's doing it, women's BB is doing it, T&F, baseball, you name it, every one of our athletic programs is putting out stuff like this on the regular now.

Edited by Machinator

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/evans-seven-college-sophomores-poised-to-break-out-this-season

Sims didn’t get a ton of chances to show his entire repertoire last season while playing behind the unicorn that is Mohamed Bamba. But whenever Bamba did miss a few games due to injury - or was placed on the bench for prolonged minutes due to foul trouble - Sims excelled. 

With Bamba now cashing an NBA paycheck, the time is now for Sims to not only become an integral piece for Texas’ ascent in the Big 12, but also double his output from last year. A super-bouncy and energizing force along the frontline, Sims broke out his senior summer of high school, and while it has taken him a bit longer than others to tap into his potential, expect the sophomore’s game to come to light this winter. 

He is the perfect complement in the frontcourt alongside Dylan Osetkowski and is capable of being played in a variety of lineups. Sims averaged just five points and four rebounds per game in 19 minutes of action last season, but his sophomore numbers should dwarf those stat lines.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 3:51 AM, Goo Punch said:

Lindell Wiggington and Barry Brown could have something to say about that, but I do expect Coleman to make one of the all conference teams and to be our go-to guy in the clutch.

I definitely think Coleman will be the glue and the coolest head under pressure this year.  I am optimistic about his future.  I am fine with Simms.  I think he will fill his role fine.  Our season will sink or swim on offense from the 2 and 3 positions (if Roach continues his growth, we should be good at 2) and defense/rebounding from the 4 (DO).  DO also needs to improve his shooting selection/percentage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-season rankings should have us 3rd or 4th in the Big12 this year, behind the Kansas schools and maybe West Virginia. Coleman and Roach form a nice returning guard tandem. Osetkowski and Sims should provide solid inside presence. There's a lot of depth of the roster.

This year and 2020 will be the 2 years to really judge what Shaka has been able to accomplish here. If this year and next year are disappointing, it's fair to say that Shaka has come up short, barring freakish events that are completely outside his control.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Oh he gets 2020 now, too, before we can make any judgments?  4 years just isn’t enough to install a system in college basketball anymore?

First year was Barnes's guys.

Second year we were young, still had some Barnes guys, and some of our recruits were whiffs.

Third year we were young again and our top player had to go into cancer treatment.

Fourth year we have some experience but are pretty young once again.

Fifth year we will have a reasonably experienced group of all Shaka's guys.

Ditching Smart at any point along this journey would be premature, regardless of lack of patience among the fans.

Edited by Cameltoe

I noticed the Athlon preseason mag is already out so I purchased a copy. They have us 6th in the Big12 which is surprisingly low to me.

We seem to be a team that is "not in fashion" this preseason. Coleman in particular appears to be the most under-appreciated man in the NCAA. Athlon didn't even put him on the all-conference THIRD team. That's pretty crazy to me as I see him as one of the more valuable players in the entire league. I'm happy with it though, running under the radar in preseason hype is probably more good than bad.

33 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

First year was Barnes's guys.

Second year we were young, still had some Barnes guys, and some of our recruits were whiffs.

Third year we were young again and our top player had to go into cancer treatment.

Fourth year we have some experience but are pretty young once again.

Fifth year we will have a reasonably experienced group of all Shaka's guys.

Ditching Smart at any point along this journey would be premature, regardless of lack of patience among the fans.

there are no legitimate excuses for not getting it done in cbb in 4, or what's more 5 seasons. his first team was plenty talented, with tons of depth and versatility, and all he's done since then is out-recruit every school not named duke or kentucky only to be an embarrassing 50-50 (23-31) with zero tourney wins. last year was supposed to be a year of "no more excuses", and that damn sure applies to this season as well.

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

there are no legitimate excuses for not getting it done in cbb in 4, or what's more 5 seasons. his first team was plenty talented, with tons of depth and versatility, and all he's done since then is out-recruit every school not named duke or kentucky only to be an embarrassing 50-50 (23-31) with zero tourney wins. last year was supposed to be a year of "no more excuses", and that damn sure applies to this season as well.

Having your best player diagnosed with leukemia 10 games into the season is in fact a legitimate excuse. Rebuilding a program and having an insanely young team probably qualifies as an excuse as well. Other than those 2 huge facts, I'm with you in demanding no excuses going forward. Regarding zero tourney wins, we have at least made the tourney 2 out of his 3 years here, which isn't bad, and in both of those tourney games we lost in spectacularly unlucky fashion, losing on a half-court shot to super scrappy mid-major NIU team and gift-wrapping an OT period to a good Nevada team that went on to upset Cincinnati this year.

losing our best player is not an excuse for three years of underachieving, particularly given that not a year goes by where we don't see a top team or three lose their best player at some point during the season, and it doesn't result in that program being 8 games below .500 in their conference uverse a three year period. adding in our aforementioned recruiting success , the excuses wear more and more thin. at some point you actually have to win, and not only have we not been winning, we've been outright inept. no more talk.

Do you have something against capital letters starting sentences?

I like that you call his recruiting efforts a big success and then proceed to try to use that against him. Good recruiting is good recruiting. Converting that to wins makes all the difference, of course, but you have to crawl before you can walk and you are admitting he's succeeding in crawling.

"Below .500 in conference" in the Big12 of the last few years isn't the indictment you make it out to be either since it's been the strongest conference in America over that period.