2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

On 8/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, Machinator said:

DjhcDiqU8AAhLeE.jpg

I loved him as Kenneth in "Fandango"  Didn't realize played hoops at UT during his time here before the war.  

University of Texas Men's Basketball senior guard Kerwin Roach II underwent successful surgery on Tuesday in Austin. He sustained a torn meniscus in his right knee last Thursday (Aug. 2) during a non-contact drill while participating in the CP3 (Chris Paul) Elite Guard Camp in Winston-Salem, N.C.

Roach is expected to make a full recovery for the upcoming 2018-19 season, but no official timetable for his return to activity has been established.

i'll expound on what i said in the other thread- i think that tweet is designed to make fans happy and to get likes/follows. there aren't 10 impact freshmen in the conference to begin with, more like 10 freshmen who could one day be players. Grimes will obviously be awesome, and i don't know much else about those other guys, but as far as our freshmen go they all project to be contributors down the road more so than they do this year. any one of those guys actually being an impact player this season would be great.

Edited by Goo Punch

i'm really sick of all the catch phrases. the stuff was way more over the top in shaka's first year, or at least our exposure to it was, but this guy seems to be more focused on "creating a culture" by using a million different catch phrases to live by than he is on creating a winning program. "there is no finish line". yes there is, and we want to get there first. i understand the spirit behind the mantra, but when you pump out 17 new mantras every year and your program consistently sucks it gets really old, really fast. besides, i want our guys to be good at basketball, not be the best at exercising.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

On 8/13/2018 at 10:52 AM, Goo Punch said:

i'll expound on what i said in the other thread- i think that tweet is designed to make fans happy and to get likes/follows. there aren't 10 impact freshmen in the conference to begin with, more like 10 freshmen who could one day be players. Grimes will obviously be awesome, and i don't know much else about those other guys, but as far as our freshmen go they all project to be contributors down the road more so than they do this year. any one of those guys actually being an impact player this season would be great.

I think they are basically saying 10 guys who could be starting as freshmen or getting significant minutes.

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i'm really sick of all the catch phrases. the stuff was way more over the top in shaka's first year, or at least our exposure to it was, but this guy seems to be more focused on "creating a culture" by using a million different catch phrases to live by than he is on creating a winning program. "there is no finish line". yes there is, and we want to get there first. i understand the spirit behind the mantra, but when you pump out 17 new mantras every year and your program consistently sucks it gets really old, really fast. besides, i want our guys to be good at basketball, not be the best at exercising.

I don't think you know how recruiting works. 

These type "catch phrases" and gimmicks work in recruiting. Something as simple as Carrington's "shusssh" in recruiting has had a positive impact on recruits. 17 and 18 year old kids remember dumb stuff like "this is Texas" "future19" and "there is no finish line". 

I don't give a shit what Shaka tweets or says if it helps land recruits. Results need to happen but a coach selling "catch phrases" is part of recruiting. I actually think this is why Shaka is more active on twitter now. It's all recruiting related. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I don't think you know how recruiting works. 
These type "catch phrases" and gimmicks work in recruiting. Something as simple as Carrington's "shusssh" in recruiting has had a positive impact on recruits. 17 and 18 year old kids remember dumb stuff like "this is Texas" "future19" and "there is no finish line". 
I don't give a shit what Shaka tweets or says if it helps land recruits. Results need to happen but a coach selling "catch phrases" is part of recruiting. I actually think this is why Shaka is more active on twitter now. It's all recruiting related. 
He was so inactive on twitter that he's not even verified yet.

i seriously doubt that gimmicky catch phrases have any actual impact on recruiting. Besides which, recruiting has never been his problem.

Also, i have a tough time imagining guys like Coach K, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, or Bill Self placing such importance on these contrived catch phrases. I don't think they matter at all. 

Edited by Goo Punch

43 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i seriously doubt that gimmicky catch phrases have any actual impact on recruiting. Besides which, recruiting has never been his problem.

Also, i have a tough time imagining guys like Coach K, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, or Bill Self placing such importance on these contrived catch phrases. I don't think they matter at all. 

Yep, you don't follow recruiting. 

Do you want me to post all the photos from recruiting visits where recruits do the "ssssh" gimmick that Carrington came up with? You can make fun of this stuff but it works with 17 and 18 year old kids. 

Do you think Herman just randomly hired a bunch of social media folks for no reason? Stuff like "sssh", "revolUTion18", "this is Texas" is all part of branding and sticking out to recruits. 

http://footballscoop.com/news/jimbo-fisher-explains-staff-able-step-recruit-best-best-right-away-texas/

Here's an article from a couple days ago on how social media has changed recruiting. If programs aren't using these "gimmicks" and "catch phrases" as a recruiting effort on social media they aren't maximizing their outreach. This shit resonates with kids. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I believe that you believe what you're saying, but there's essentially zero chance that gimmicky catch phrases play any role in where a recruit ends up. Nobody is choosing to go to  a school based on some contrived mantra, it's just gimmicky crap to try and get your team to rally behind. And again, recruiting has never been the problem. The incessant use of these catch phrases has done nothing to serve the program. i'm over them.

Edited by Goo Punch

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I believe that you believe what you're saying, but there's essentially zero chance that gimmicky catch phrases play any role in where a recruit ends up. Nobody is choosing to go to  school based on some contrived mantra, it's just gimmicky crap to try and get your team to rally behind. And again, recruiting has never been the problem.

"Recruiting has never been the problem". Then why the hell are you questioning an obvious recruiting tactic? 

Also, you don't follow recruiting at all. Kids are influenced by the dumbest shit. Last cycle there was a tight end committed to Texas that said he would sign with Tennessee if they got him to 20K followers on twitter. 

You can believe what you want but these "contrived mantras" work with recruits. Which is why you see almost every football program in the country using "catch phrases"/"mantras" on twitter. Funny how you don't think this stuff works when every football program in the country realizes it's value. 

Edited by texasstrong12

why are you so convinced that our plethora of catch phrases throughout the years are "obvious recruiting tactics"? I'm sure that we use some of them in recruiting, but it is a fact that these catch phrases are used 95% for the actual team- the guys who are already here. We use them in practice and in workouts and have them emblazoned in the walls of the practice facility. Our actual players end up parroting these phrases in interviews, revealing how much shaka stresses his catch phrases, not that we didn't already know that based on the extensive lhn coverage of the program. The idea that these phrases are a)exclusively used as a recruiting tool and b)that they matter at all is just plain wrong. It's just rah rah crap that at the end of the day rings hollow when your team looks like garbage every year.

Edited by Goo Punch

26 minutes ago, Machinator said:

It's amazing the things you two will find to argue about. Get a room already.

please do not associate me with him like this. i can't help it that he takes literally every critical comment about the program as a personal affront, especially if i'm the one saying it. 

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

please do not associate me with him like this. i can't help it that he takes literally every critical comment about the program as a personal affront, especially if i'm the one saying it. 

Lol. I'm here to read comments/updates on the team. 

You cry wolf after being a pussy and crying over something so simple as "catch phrases" on twitter that are clear recruiting tactics. 

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol. I'm here to read comments/updates on the team. 

You cry wolf after being a pussy and crying over something so simple as "catch phrases" on twitter that are clear recruiting tactics. 

@Machinator see, this is what i mean. i don't harbor the same contempt for this guy as he does for me, nor do i share his interest in getting into heated arguments over petty crap like this. i can't do anything about his compulsive need to respond this way to any and all criticisms of the program.

• Fuck You 1

44 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

@Machinator see, this is what i mean. i don't harbor the same contempt for this guy as he does for me, nor do i share his interest in getting into heated arguments over petty crap like this. i can't do anything about his compulsive need to respond this way to any and all criticisms of the program.

af25Awf9_400x400

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

why are you so convinced that our plethora of catch phrases throughout the years are "obvious recruiting tactics"? I'm sure that we use some of them in recruiting, but it is a fact that these catch phrases are used 95% for the actual team- the guys who are already here. We use them in practice and in workouts and have them emblazoned in the walls of the practice facility. Our actual players end up parroting these phrases in interviews, revealing how much shaka stresses his catch phrases, not that we didn't already know that based on the extensive lhn coverage of the program. The idea that these phrases are a)exclusively used as a recruiting tool and b)that they matter at all is just plain wrong. It's just rah rah crap that at the end of the day rings hollow when your team looks like garbage every year.

I don't want to get in the middle of this but you never know what a recruit is thinking and for some, stuff like this helps. Thats why everyone does it.  Kids will make decisions sometimes based on stuff you would never believe would mean as much to them as it does.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Pretty sure there is a finish line in college basketball, it's called a national championship. Shaka needs to get out of the fucking blocks this year without false starting.

Winning a basketball natty is what I'm most interested in as a fan and it would be a great milestone for our program. But you can make the argument that the team that wins the natty is going to be made up of guys who work at basketball and train their skills in such a consistent way that a college natty is not the finish line for them, and that the right attitude to get from here to there as a team is to think about the day to day culture rather than leaping to talk about finish lines.

In any event, sure the catchphrases are all just talk and what actually happens matters infinitely more than what is said. But the bottom line is we have 10 of the top 100 incoming freshmen according to ESPN's current rankings ( http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2018 ) and that qualifies as a damn good class and it puts the outlook for the program for the next few years a bit higher than most people are giving us credit for at present time.

I can understand the catch phrase argument. It can seem silly that catch phrases can have an impact on recruiting. They do, but not in the obvious way. It’s not about just the phrase.

Catch phrases are part of a systematic marketing campaign universities use to establish a brand identity, with an attempt to meet the emotional needs of a potential buyer (the recruit). Catch phrases do two things. They establish a market position for the University brand, and they tap into the human need to be part of a group. These things help land a recruit.

You can argue it’s b.s. but the multi-billion dollar advertising market proves that marketing and advertising are critically important, even in recruiting.

Another example is twitter graphics. That is a critical element of the marketing campaign.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Another example is twitter graphics. That is a critical element of the marketing campaign.

Yeah, it was obvious a few months ago that Texas was going to step up it's social media integration when they started producing more NBA graphics. Which is clearly directed at Will Baker. Almost every interview I've seen from Baker he talks about the "first round picks" Horn has produced. 

My guess is these new graphics, Shaka's increased presence on Twitter, and other recruiting tactics like "mantras"/"catch phrases' are all related. I think Shaka saw the success Herman had last cycle with social media integration in recruiting and realized he needed to step it up in that department. 

Edited by texasstrong12

and again, these quotes are not new and they are not some badass recruiting tool. "Texas started ramping up its social media a few months ago." well guess what? the stupid catch phrases have been pumping out of our program since day 1 under shaka. they're contrived, they're pointless, and they are grating on me due to how abjectly terrible our team has been. It's equally annoying as watching some football team do some big, self aggrandizing warm up routine like they're all starring in Any Given Sunday, and then they go out and lose 45-12 to end the season 4-6. But, but the kids love it! I don't care. Produce an even respectable, non-joke of a basketball program and then use all of the stupid gimmicks you want. we have an embarrassing program but we lead the nation in catch phrases, great.

Edited by Goo Punch

35 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Only you would get this upset over something so stupid. 

yeah, i'm not the one who got all upset, you obsessive, self deluded weirdo. i once again made a pretty innocuous criticism of our program and you lost it, posting five paragraph diatribes replete with links to "prove your point", topping it off with insulting me and calling me a pussy because of it. it's mind boggling that you can't see that. no one here is even remotely as upset as you are.

Edited by Goo Punch