2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

7 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I'm so ready for basketball to start so I can be underwhelmed like I have been in football. Damn can we just make one hire that coaches Texas beyond their talent level? Even though we have talent i'd love to see Texas play above board for once.

I’d say the run the baseball team went on to end the season as outright big12 champs was above their talent level.  Tech was definitely the more talented team as they proved in the CWS.  So there’s that.  

16 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’d say the run the baseball team went on to end the season as outright big12 champs was above their talent level.  Tech was definitely the more talented team as they proved in the CWS.  So there’s that.  

yep. and you look at our recent hires- charlie strong was not a hire that i ever liked or advocated for, as his louisville teams were super underwhelming and frustrating to watch; we should have done better. shaka was a sexy name, but upon further review his resume was nowhere up to par with the standard that rick barnes had set at texas, the very standard which got him fired.

then you have david pierce- i loved the hire, and he was the guy who i wanted to get specifically because his resume pointed to him being a good hire. all he had done at sam and tulane was take nothing programs and make them relevant with good recruiting and player development. it's now no surprise that he's looking the best hire we've made in the big three sports on campus. the next basketball hire needs to have the bona fides on his resume before we even consider him.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yep. and you look at our recent hires- charlie strong was not a hire that i ever liked or advocated for, as his louisville teams were super underwhelming and frustrating to watch; we should have done better. shaka was a sexy name, but upon further review his resume was nowhere up to par with the standard that rick barnes had set at texas, the very standard which got him fired.

then you have david pierce- i loved the hire, and he was the guy who i wanted to get specifically because his resume pointed to him being a good hire. all he had done at sam and tulane was take nothing programs and make them relevant with good recruiting and player development. it's now no surprise that he's looking the best hire we've made in the big three sports on campus. the next basketball hire needs to have the bona fides on his resume before we even consider him.

Damn Derka this might be your best post ever. I agree with all of it. If Shaka doesn't win this year and CDC cans his ass, you have any names in mind that match your criteria and would realistically come here?

1 hour ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Damn Derka this might be your best post ever. I agree with all of it. If Shaka doesn't win this year and CDC cans his ass, you have any names in mind that match your criteria and would realistically come here?

the main guy who i've fallen in love with is Eric Musselman at Nevada because of his professional coaching experience, his nba offense that he runs, and his history of player development. he doesn't have the NCAA bona fides, and his actual NBA career was short and nothing to write home about (more about the situations he was in than poor coaching), but his CBA resume and his work with olympic/national teams speaks for itself, and he's done a great job at Nevada. i think he'd be a home run. he's arguably the best coach ever in the cba, and his track record of developing CBA/D league guys and sending them to the nba is second to none.

Two other guys who i really liked but who at this point are unrealistic are mick cronin and chris mack. cronin appears to be a young rick barnes, and mack is maybe the most slept-on coach in america, but neither of them will be leaving their current gigs any time soon. the names i'm left with would include-

•Billy Donovan- if OKC struggles this year we should absolutely back up the brinks truck for him. he's already reached the mountaintop at florida, he could do the same here

•Fred Hoiberg- not sure if he'd want to return to college and then coach against ISU every year, but you offer him $4m+/yr and make him say no to living in Austin, Texas for that money

•Chris Beard- this list shows one thing that Shaka has going for him- most/all viable replacements would have to be coaxed/convinced into coming here as they all already have what they would deem equal/better jobs. Beard may be a long shot, having just signed an extension with TTU in March, and he may not have any desire to leave TTU, but again, when you're supposed to be the biggest and best athletic department in college sports and you have our recent track record of bad hires, you try to money whip whoever you think can get the job done. if TTU were to finish ahead of Texas again this year i'd like for us to at least reach out to him.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

the main guy who i've fallen in love with is Eric Musselman at Nevada because of his professional coaching experience, his nba offense that he runs, and his history of player development. he doesn't have the NCAA bona fides, and his actual NBA career was short and nothing to write home about (more about the situations he was in than poor coaching), but his CBA resume and his work with olympic/national teams speaks for itself, and he's done a great job at Nevada. i think he'd be a home run. he's arguably the best coach ever in the cba, and his track record of developing CBA/D league guys and sending them to the nba is second to none.

Two other guys who i really liked but who at this point are unrealistic are mick cronin and chris mack. cronin appears to be a young rick barnes, and mack is maybe the most slept-on coach in america, but neither of them will be leaving their current gigs any time soon. the names i'm left with would include-

•Billy Donovan- if OKC struggles this year we should absolutely back up the brinks truck for him. he's already reached the mountaintop at florida, he could do the same here

•Fred Hoiberg- not sure if he'd want to return to college and then coach against ISU every year, but you offer him $4m+/yr and make him say no to living in Austin, Texas for that money

•Chris Beard- this list shows one thing that Shaka has going for him- most/all viable replacements would have to be coaxed/convinced into coming here as they all already have what they would deem equal/better jobs. Beard may be a long shot, having just signed an extension with TTU in March, and he may not have any desire to leave TTU, but again, when you're supposed to be the biggest and best athletic department in college sports and you have our recent track record of bad hires, you try to money whip whoever you think can get the job done. if TTU were to finish ahead of Texas again this year i'd like for us to at least reach out to him.

Good list and Musselman was with the Warriors as well i believe. I'd love for CDC to try and money whip Donovan and Mark Few, if he'd ever leave Gonzaga. Next on the list of calls would definitely have to be Beard. Yeah I'd love to have Mack, but he isn't leaving Louisville. Have the last few years soured the Wichita State coach?

18 hours ago, LonghornGoodfella said:

Good list and Musselman was with the Warriors as well i believe. I'd love for CDC to try and money whip Donovan and Mark Few, if he'd ever leave Gonzaga. Next on the list of calls would definitely have to be Beard. Yeah I'd love to have Mack, but he isn't leaving Louisville. Have the last few years soured the Wichita State coach?

Mark Few isn't leaving where he's at, bigger fish than Texas have tried to pry him away. As for Marshall, there's already one too many raging assholes coaching at Texas right now. I tend to believe Marshall enjoys being the big fish in a small pond and wouldn't like coaching somewhere where basketball is second-fiddle.

I'll have my season preview pieces start showing up in about a month, but suffice it to say I'm more optimistic about this squad than I have been in awhile. Having said that, if Shaka can't make this group work CDC will probably start thinking about the long-term future of the program without Shaka in charge.

On 9/9/2018 at 9:59 PM, Goo Punch said:

losing our best player is not an excuse for three years of underachieving, particularly given that not a year goes by where we don't see a top team or three lose their best player at some point during the season, and it doesn't result in that program being 8 games below .500 in their conference uverse a three year period. adding in our aforementioned recruiting success , the excuses wear more and more thin. at some point you actually have to win, and not only have we not been winning, we've been outright inept. no more talk.

Can you please list all of these top teams who have lost their best player and still had a lot of success?

59 minutes ago, txhorns said:

Can you please list all of these top teams who have lost their best player and still had a lot of success?

no, because it happens with such regularity that you should be able to come up with 5-10 off the top of your head in no time. the first example that should come to mind would be our own Texas team losing its best and most experienced player halfway through conference play, only to end up a few painful inches away from going to the Elite 8 despite being led by freshmen. The second example that should pop into your head (or really arguably the first) would be when Shaka himself lost Cam Ridley year one and then still went on to finish 3rd in the conference, winning 5 games vs ranked teams including sweeping top 10 WVU and beating Final 4 participant OU after losing Ridley. Purdue, Florida, Oregon and many more have all notably dealt with this same obstacle in recent years. It happens all of the time.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Always get a little dusty when I see T.J. Just so many good memories.

It's conceivable that Texas might get back to a Final Four eventually, maybe even win one. But I don't think anything will top those two years of getting to watch T.J. run the floor. Even the losses were exciting.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Shaka has no proven rim protector or 3 point shooting. This team is going to struggle as freshmen will be asked to play too many minutes, because of poor roster management.

Freshmen will be fighting for minutes on this team with 4 established starters taking big minutes, and 5 huge freshmen recruits competing with Elijah Long and returning bench guys Jase Febres and Royce Hamm. It'll be competitive as hell for minutes on this roster and the team should benefit from seeing only the best of them out on the floor.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Ramey in the starting lineup is a surprise. Will have to see if rothsteins projection is correct. Ramey is going in to a better situation than Coleman last year as  he won’t have to do heavy liftin at pg. agree with rothstein tha finishing 6th or worse would be a huge disappointment. Still see ku KSU and wva as top three. 

One of the keys to success this year will be Shaka managing the bench better. Honestly no one outside of Roach and maybe Sims should avg 30 minutes or more this year if he’s doing things right. And in all honesty with Hayes added muscle Sims doesn’t need to avg that many minutes regardless. Between, Hayes, Hamm, & Hepa the 3 of them have to chip away at any potential overusage of Dylan and Sims. Not to mention throwing in one of Cunningham or Liddell at the occasional small ball 4. Liddell looks taller than listed in all the pics I’ve seen online.

12 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Honestly no one outside of Roach and maybe Sims should avg 30 minutes or more this year if he’s doing things right.

Good point. It's a really deep team as I see it and will be guard-heavy. That's probably not a bad thing necessarily. Who was Villanova's "rim protector" last year? Give me 4 quality guards who can all handle, pass, and shoot and our offensive problems are a thing of the past.

Cunningham might be a redshirt this year, btw.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

One of the keys to success this year will be Shaka managing the bench better. Honestly no one outside of Roach and maybe Sims should avg 30 minutes or more this year if he’s doing things right. And in all honesty with Hayes added muscle Sims doesn’t need to avg that many minutes regardless. Between, Hayes, Hamm, & Hepa the 3 of them have to chip away at any potential overusage of Dylan and Sims. Not to mention throwing in one of Cunningham or Liddell at the occasional small ball 4. Liddell looks taller than listed in all the pics I’ve seen online.

I would say Coleman and Roach would be the only ones over 30 mpg.  DO, Sims and the other starter should be around 25 mpg.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Coleman is certainly worthy and capable of 30 min/gm, but we have 3 legit PGs on the team. Throw in Roach and we have 4 functional PGs on the roster. There's no reason for Coleman to average 30 min/gm.

Roach should not play pg at all.  Long is more of a combo guard than a true pg.  If Ramey starts it would be as an off guard.  Coleman has proven to be a good pg who is capable of running the offense.  He is also good at the end of games.

12 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Freshmen will be fighting for minutes on this team with 4 established starters taking big minutes, and 5 huge freshmen recruits competing with Elijah Long and returning bench guys Jase Febres and Royce Hamm. It'll be competitive as hell for minutes on this roster and the team should benefit from seeing only the best of them out on the floor.

very true, but you didn't address his point about the lack of 3 point shooting and a proven rim protector.

five huge freshmen recruits? really? outside of ramey, none of the other four project to have any sort of substantive role in our team for this coming season. as per the usual under shaka we're going to have a handful of guys playing the vast majority of our minutes, especially once conference play rolls around.