2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

On 9/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Cameltoe said:

We could struggle down low. Sims can't do it all by himself and we all know DO is a fat, lazy fuck. How will we defend giants like Azubuke at Kansas and Sagne Kobate at WVU. I really hope that Hepa and Hayes are ready to go, and that Liddell is up to the task of defending beyond his height.

Damn CT for an over the rainbow fan you sure did take a shit on DO.  If reports are true that he did lose 20 pounds in the offseason, maybe he's gained some maturity and discipline while losing the lbs.  I didn't like what I saw of his basketball IQ last season, but maybe he can learn not to bite on every fake and learn to play positional defensive.  Regardless of the criticisms, he did average 13 and 7 last year.  I think his range is only about 18 feet and he shouldn't take threes unless he has worked on his range.  Having lost lbs at least makes him not fat and if he's worked on his game then that would make him not lazy. 

He has a skill set you covet, I’ve just never seen a basketball player eat it away mid-season.  It’s simply a lack of discipline all the way around, on and off the court. My question is, how does a head coach wait until the off-season to address something like that.

Then again, I don’t know that it wasn’t brought up.....

I wanna see us actually press more on defense

On offense I wanna see better off the ball movement on offense and outside shooting improvement or teams will just continue to clog the lane and dare us to shoot outside. A guy like sims is not a post up, back to the basket post but a wide open lane toss up oop post. The only way he gets those types of opportunities is if we consistently hit the jumper so those drive lanes are open. 

• Like 1

On offense I wanna see better off the ball movement on offense and outside shooting improvement or teams will just continue to clog the lane and dare us to shoot outside. A guy like sims is not a post up, back to the basket post but a wide open lane toss up oop post. The only way he gets those types of opportunities is if we consistently hit the jumper so those drive lanes are open. 

Can’t wait for season, ready for our team to do all of this. Most importantly shoot well, free throws included.

25 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Are you talking full, 3/4 or half? Who protects the rim when there is a breakdown?  I agree at times and depending on the opponent. 

On offense, I'd like to see solid picks and effective rolls and not the half-hearted crap from last year. This goes for off the ball screens too. Do this and we'll have better spacing. We should have better ball security with three point guards, but that's never been a point of emphasis with Shaka. 

The key will be the last three minutes of the game and can we score when the game gets ugly.  Better FT shooting will go a long way here and some effective bigs may sit out.  Hepa could be instrumental here if he is an effective FT shooter.  Use the nonconference to get better and build a rhythm because conference teams will have scouted all the weaknesses and tendencies and Texas better be ready.

5 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Are you talking full, 3/4 or half? Who protects the rim when there is a breakdown?  I agree at times and depending on the opponent. 

On offense, I'd like to see solid picks and effective rolls and not the half-hearted crap from last year. This goes for off the ball screens too. Do this and we'll have better spacing. We should have better ball security with three point guards, but that's never been a point of emphasis with Shaka. 

The key will be the last three minutes of the game and can we score when the game gets ugly.  Better FT shooting will go a long way here and some effective bigs may sit out.  Hepa could be instrumental here if he is an effective FT shooter.  Use the nonconference to get better and build a rhythm because conference teams will have scouted all the weaknesses and tendencies and Texas better be ready.

Definitely agree on the offensive side.

pressing is always a good change of pace, there might be a breakdown that leads to a dunk and the purpose of pressing would be to get a easy steal, force a bad pass that leads to a rushed shot or poor posssesion, maybe a pass gets hurried that sails out of bounds. Most casual fans think you have to stop if you have one breakdown on a press but it’s also to test the other teams stamina, there composure and ability to handle pressure as well. I think tossing an occasional full court, half court or 3/4 press at different times can be very effective. Shaka man press is the 1-2-1-1 press or the “diamond” press. With our athletes I tend to lean to man to man press but the diamond can be very hard to break if you run it as a unit.

I think Shaka isn’t going to run it as much as we would like him too though. 

On 9/24/2018 at 8:39 PM, dogbreath said:

Damn CT for an over the rainbow fan you sure did take a shit on DO.  If reports are true that he did lose 20 pounds in the offseason, maybe he's gained some maturity and discipline while losing the lbs.  I didn't like what I saw of his basketball IQ last season, but maybe he can learn not to bite on every fake and learn to play positional defensive.  Regardless of the criticisms, he did average 13 and 7 last year.  I think his range is only about 18 feet and he shouldn't take threes unless he has worked on his range.  Having lost lbs at least makes him not fat and if he's worked on his game then that would make him not lazy. 

20 lbs on him is nothing. 

Edited by caliHORNia

On 9/28/2018 at 2:10 PM, Rockethorn1978 said:

I think Shaka isn’t going to run it as much as we would like him too though. 

It's whatever gets the job done. Pressing is an in-game decision. You go to it at the right times, it can get you some key turn-overs.

It depends on the players you have on the floor and what players they have. If you have better ball-handling out there than they do, press.

The good news for pressing is we should have a lot of depth with fresh legs to come in and provide defensive energy.

Fun fact:

Autumnal and Winter Saturdays are quite synonymous with College Basketball.  Even still, Texas Longhorns won't play a game on a Saturday until Dec. 15th, against Grand Canyon University.  Nearly six weeks into the season.  Found that curious.   

18 hours ago, dogbreath said:

So the question on the table was whether he is fat and lazy.

I was being a bit sarcastic when I said that, joking about how negative some of the people around here are on him. Personally, I've liked his game since he got here and expect to see some leadership from him this year as a senior in this post-Bamba universe.

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i don't see DO as much of a leader. not really his thing, as he's pretty soft and passive. matt coleman looks like a leader, and roach and long should probably also be leaders this year, but i don't expect any of that from dylan. 

I agree that I’d rather have Coleman as leader but they showed those timeouts in crucial moments last year with DO talking to the team like he was a coach or captain. 

On 10/3/2018 at 4:51 PM, dogbreath said:

So the question on the table was whether he is fat and lazy.  Losing 20 lbs may not counter the first part but does the second part in my opinion. 

My first, and post invoking, thought was that if he weren't lazy he could have lost 30 from February until now.  Cam Ridley went from 315 - 280 in one offseason if we're to believe the press.

2 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

It's possible Elijah Long could be the best outside shooter on the roster (assuming AJ is still sidelined). He shot 38% from behind the arc in 2017 on 100+ attempts which is better than any of our guys shot it in 2018.

I can buy that. I laid out the numbers on page 1 of this thread showing that Long shot very well against quality competition while at Mount St. Mary's, whereas Osetkowski did not while at Tulane.