2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I think the idea is that at Texas, we have the capability to recruit at a level such that that telling players "we play offense like NBA" is a compelling enough pitch to land those sorts of prospects. What we really needed were transfers who could bridge the gap between the departure of Taylor/Felix and when Shaka's prized recruit (Coleman) was ready to lead the offense.

And  yes, the shooting is probably the bigger issue. It needs to improve this year or, quite simply, we're not going to achieve our program goals.

The poor shooting has been a function of having young guards for 2 of his prior 3 years here and not bridging the gap like you mentioned. Shaka really mismanaged the transition from year 1 to 2 and that mistake has reverberated throughout his tenure. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

On 10/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, vin2basketball said:

I do think he's dumb for running a read and react offensive system - it's great for creating NBA prospects and less so for actually scoring points in the college game. 

I think it sort of works if you have elite, NBA one-and-done prospect guard who can shoot or an experienced guard who has drilled in the system for ages (Isaiah Taylor was in his first season in the system and Javan Felix was.... limited). You also need shooters off the ball.

I disagree with the choice of the system - in the college game it reduces your margin for error because it requires you to either recruit at an insanely high level or develop across multiple years and then hit the pot of gold in your tourney run once every 3-4 years.

It also requires you to consistently roll out an elite defense which Shaka has done so far at Texas so I'll assume for a second he can continue to maintain that

This season with Coleman and his year in the system on ball, Long, Roach, (fingers crossed) AJ1, Febres?, and Osetkowski spacing him with an athletic rim runner in Sims he may finally (again knock on wood) have the offensive personnel to make his system work and Texas *could* have a big season.

But even there I wish he didn't run this system - it gives him no margin for error if those "shooters" don't turn out be league average or if Coleman stops hitting long twos at an unsustainable rate etc. 

You should be heartened to know they're not running the random ball screen offense this year. This is one of the changes Berry has suggested and Shaka agreed to; it will be more of a continuity offense with an emphasis on 4-out sets.

jaxson hayes has unlimited potential. he is a freshman. my god. i think back to what guys like KD, J'Covan, and even Jones looked like when they arrived on campus- they looked like kids. Hayes looks like a fully grown lumberjack. Built like The Mountain, moves like The Viper. This kid has Sagaba Konate written all over him. And in a sort of morbid way i'm kind of happy that he's such a project offensively, because it means we should have him patrolling the paint for at least three if not four years, potentially spending three years with Sims. 

oh yeah, i almost forgot to post the pic that made me think all this.

look at that kid. fuckin Xerxes over there, just waiting to be molded into a physical specimen by Coaching Roose. I can't wait to watch this kid grow.

Edited by Goo Punch

16 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Please explain.  And no I am not buying a season preview for $10.  

Think of something closer to what Villanova runs; it's not light years different from what they did last year, but it simplifies the decision tree for everyone on the floor. The main differences from last year's offense - aside from the fact there will be much less catching the ball in the high post - is that the ball-handler won't be choosing from a number of options, they'll instead be making a predetermined move. For instance, when Sims comes up from the low post to set a screen for Coleman (or whoever has the ball), Coleman isn't picking from a series of options, he's attacking the paint immediately and either taking a shot or - if the help defender comes towards him - dishing out to the open man (usually the 4 sitting behind the arc) who the help defender just left to either take the shot or start the next action. The next action begins when one of the wings comes over to set another screen, which the 4 uses to attack the paint and either take the shot or dish to the open man on the other side of the court. That player then starts his action etc etc this general concept continues to cycle through for the duration of the possession. This may be a bit confusing without illustrations, but the larger point is that they're attempting to flatten the defense by repeatedly attacking the paint, and these are less individual plays than a continuous cycle that emphasizes quickly moving the ball back and forth across the court to get the defense out of position and opening up windows to shoot.

One of our issues with offense last year (there were many) was the lack of speed / aggressiveness by the pick man in setting the pick and rolling to the basket … also the guy with the ball often didn't seem to cut hard or fast enough when screens were set.  Our screens were easy to see coming from a distance and easy to defend without any the need for a 3rd defender to cheat over to help.  

The screening game plan looks reasonable and can work, but the fundamentals of the pick and roll need to be ratcheted up to real game speed and effort.  (It reminds me a bit of how slow our QB option was running in the first few football games this year and how that made it easy for opposing defenses to shut us down.)

7 hours ago, White Boy Carl said:

texas lost 67-62 to lsu naz reid  was the best player on court

Osetkowski set the world on fire with his 2-15, 0-8 performance. More of the same from Shaka's team. Poor shooting from BTA(7-28) and at the FT line(11-17). The 2 positives were Coleman was 6-10(3-4), and Andrew Jones played nearly 7 minutes.

12 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Osetkowski set the world on fire with his 2-15, 0-8 performance. More of the same from Shaka's team. Poor shooting from BTA(7-28) and at the FT line(11-17). The 2 positives were Coleman was 6-10(3-4), and Andrew Jones played nearly 7 minutes.

Oh God.  Not this shit again.  There's a lot I can take, but watching him chunk up 4-21 from-the-field-type numbers is not one of them.

28 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

He needs to redshirt this year.

Why? It's his choice. If the doctors have cleared him and he wants to play let him play. 

If anything it probably brings some normalcy back to his life. 

It's not like Texas is going to throw him into the fire either. I'm sure he's going to be on very limited minutes in nonconference play. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Why? It's his choice. If the doctors have cleared him and he wants to play let him play. 

If anything it probably brings some normalcy back to his life. 

It's not like Texas is going to throw him into the fire either. I'm sure he's going to be on very limited minutes in nonconference play. 

12, I am speaking as a former letterman and a cancer survivor. I realize that I was older than Andrew when I went through my treatments. While going through some nasty treatments, I was out running everyday but I wasn't the same and I doubt he is either. If he wants to go pro, his body needs time to recover.  He can still have a normal life by going to class and going to practice but not necessarily competing. I get it about the doctors but I am looking longer term and not just this season.

• Like 2

Just now, realgreggym said:

12, I am speaking as a former letterman and a cancer survivor. I realize that I was older than Andrew when I went through my treatments. While going through some nasty treatments, I was out running everyday but I wasn't the same and I doubt he is either. If he wants to go pro, his body needs time to recover.  He can still have a normal life by going to class and going to practice but not necessarily competing. I get it about the doctors but I am looking longer term and not just this season. 

Isn't his "longer term" best maximized by trying to get to the NBA as soon as possible so he can cash as many paychecks as possible in whatever window he will actually have to play basketball?

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Isn't his "longer term" best maximized by trying to get to the NBA as soon as possible so he can cash as many paychecks as possible in whatever window he will actually have to play basketball?

In my opinion, if he wants to get to the league, he needs to be back 100%. Taking an extra year is not a big deal if it gives him a better chance to make the league. He's 20. 

We have a scrimmage against A&M which is meaningless in terms of a result and then Eastern Illinois at home on 11/6. We shouldn't need Osetkowski or Roach against Eastern Illinois. 

This should be a good opportunity to throw the young guys like Hepa and Hayes into the fire against Eastern Illinois and A&M. Both of which don't  have great bigs. 

Eastern Illinois lost 2 of their best players off the roster (Goodwin and Dama) from last year. A team that went 12-19. 

Eastern Illinois only has 1 player returning that started over 8 games last year so they should be bad. 

https://jg-tc.com/sports/eastern/rust-not-alarmed-by-eiu-men-s-basketball-transfers/article_b1db8856-d66e-5a36-a270-903e7e42cf84.html

Edited by texasstrong12

On 10/27/2018 at 3:53 PM, Goo Punch said:

he can't afford to keep signing highly rated recruiting classes while producing mediocre/disappointing results year after year.

I love how you keep trying to use the excellent recruiting he's done here against him. Don't you realize that's a major positive?