2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

2 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

If I have a 6'11" guy (Hayes) and a 6'9" guy with hops (Sims) and they are both coordinated young men who can play defense, dunk, and handle a basketball in general, I am sure as shit going to play them in a college basketball game together, or a la carte, whenever I please.

Having twin towers is just almost never a bad thing. Sure, they need to improve their range on offense or whatever, but this point you're trying to get at that they can't play the floor at the same time is pretty worthless.

The 80s called. They like cut of your jib and want more of your insight, specifically your thoughts on long 2s. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

we have a head coach who claims we want to get up and down, "seven second offense" and all that, and yet when you watch his team play you'd swear that the coach's philosophy was that he wants his team to slow things down and play in the half court. that's...not good.

Edited by Goo Punch

Look, I've been watching Texas basketball my entire life, and aside from the rarest exceptions the team you have in November is pretty much the team you have. Or at least if there is realistic room for a drastic improvement it is evident from early on. That has never been the case under Shaka Smart. Good teams crush Directional State U with regularity, even when they don't play well. This is three years in a row now where we struggle with Directional State U on an all-too-frequent basis, and it's always because of the same slow, stagnant, inept offense that we employ. Hell, his teams have even missed bunnies and wide open threes with alarming regularity year after year after year. We have the talent to be better than we are, but as long as Shaka is here then this is what we will be.

• Like 1

Look, I've been watching Texas basketball my entire life, and aside from the rarest exceptions the team you have in November is pretty much the team you have. Or at least if there is realistic room for a drastic improvement it is evident from early on. That has never been the case under Shaka Smart. Good teams crush Directional State U with regularity, even when they don't play well. This is three years in a row now where we struggle with Directional State U on an all-too-frequent basis, and it's always because of the same slow, stagnant, inept offense that we employ. Hell, his teams have even missed bunnies and wide open threes with alarming regularity year after year after year. We have the talent to be better than we are, but as long as Shaka is here then this is what we will be.

Mich State almost every year is wildly better at the end of the year vs the beginning. We just need a hall of fame coach.

Prince Ibeh was struggling to see meaningful minutes his senior year before Ridley went down, and yet now we're starting a guy at center who is worse than Ibeh was, even offensively. we really needed to sign some skilled bigs by this point, but even our five star, one and done bugs have been limited. i don't understand it.

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

agreed but I would challenge that we have a history of our team in November/Dec not being the team we end up with...they get worse.

• Haha 1

I mean, it's just not fun to watch this team so far this season. At least last year, you had Bamba doing freaky things, Coleman making plays, Jones showing out (before the cancer diagnosis), Snoop stepping up on offense in Big 12 play.

This year? A couple Hayes highlights, but otherwise it's just lifeless and disconnected.

Looking ahead at our resume moving forward I think the Arkansas win is going to be better than I realized. Mainly because it's on a neutral court. It's going to be a quadrant 1 or quadrant 2 win because it was on a neutral court. 

If Arkansas finishes 1-50 it's a quadrant 1 win. 51-100 it's a quadrant 2 win. 

This is also why I want Texas to play more mid tier type teams on the road/neutral court. You can pick up resume wins playing these types on the road/neutral court. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

The team we play next, the citadel, beat somebody 148-75 tonight.  They lost to Clemson 100-80.  I’m interested to see what style of play they have.  Evidently they can fill it up.  

They’ve finished in the top 3 in the country in possessions per game and three point attempts the last three years. 

Really unique team. They play as fast as anyone in the country and are going to jack a three almost every other possession. 

They will score but I think these type teams actually help us because it leads to transition offense. 

It will be interesting how Shaka handles a team like this because this is a game you need to play some 4 guard lineups if you don’t pound the ball inside on the offensive end.

Ramey and Hayes are showing they deserve more playing time.   Roach and DO need are looking like hot and cold freshmen.  Sims and Coleman are concerning.  They were two bright spots coming into the year and are currently shitting the bed.  The latter four need to watch their freshman counterparts to see how to play with poise, energy and attitude.  I wish Roach played more with Ramey's iq and poise.

I like Long's pace and confidence.  He needs more work, but is a good 6/7th man.

I agree with the comments about Hepa needing to add a drive after his pump fake to his mental flowchart.  That needs to be coached up to try more things ASAP before the schedule strength prohibits experimentation.

We have several guys that can drive the lane and some bigs that roll to the paint ready for the ball after setting decent screens.  We need to focus more on driving in (even if it's simply to dish back out for the 3) rather than the 4 or 5 out offense whipping it around the perimeter with no threat to the paint.  I hate seeing Hayes (and sometime Sims) rolling hard, wide open to the basket when they set a good screen without getting a look from the guard.   We already know Hayes has good hands and can go pretty damn high to get the ball. 

I am optimistic with what I see in Ramey, Hayes, and Hepa and to a lesser extent Long.  I am fearful that our experienced (multi-years in the "system") guys still seem lost and nervy.  I think Coleman is the key.  If he plays like he has the past 2 games, it'll be another stressful season battling just to sniff the NCAA tournament.  There have been hints of "hell yeah!" in the past 2 games but way too many more "what the fuck?" moments.

A lot of our players seem like they are thinking, analyzing and reacting at walk-thru practice speed rather than live game against adversary that wants to beat your ass speed.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Something to watch. We play Michigan State or UCLA next Friday dependent on the result of the North Carolina game. Ward is probably Michigan State's best player. 

I assume it'll be UCLA for us since Michigan St will beat them, and UNC will beat us, right?

The Citadel appears they agree with the Rockets' approach to scoring points. Shit load of 3's and FT's.

They average 42 3's and 25 FT's a game so far. They are also good at making them, 40% on 3's and 72% on FT's.

Going to be interesting tomorrow. Hopefully their pace forces Shaka to play a more open court game which benefits his roster.

6 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

does that link say that through three games we have a collective zero assists on two point jumpers?

In this day and age I can't think of a situation where you would want the team taking a 2 point jumper off a pass.  For one,  you'd probably have to run a set specifically for the purpose of creating a 2pt jumper and who does that.  Most 2pt jumpers in today's game come off the dribble.  

28 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

In this day and age I can't think of a situation where you would want the team taking a 2 point jumper off a pass.  For one,  you'd probably have to run a set specifically for the purpose of creating a 2pt jumper and who does that.  Most 2pt jumpers in today's game come off the dribble.  

Yeah, the least efficient shot in basketball is the mid range 2 pointer. I can see why teams would not run sets to get those type of shots, but it also shows that Texas also struggles with low post offense, as getting the ball in effective spots for good looks inside 5' that aren't rim runs.

On 11/12/2018 at 7:38 PM, Goo Punch said:

we have a head coach who claims we want to get up and down, "seven second offense" and all that, and yet when you watch his team play you'd swear that the coach's philosophy was that he wants his team to slow things down and play in the half court. that's...not good.

This is what the casual fan doesn't understand. 

This team built is to score at a high pace. We saw glimpses of it tonight and if the chemistry between hayes n ramey increases.......shiiiiit we'll be very competitive. 

But we know shaka ain't doing that