2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

This team is no different from any of Shaka's teams. They're all carbon copies of one another. And based on the fact that Shaka recruits better than 8/9 coaches in this league by a mile, it's hard to argue that Shaka hasn't been one of the 2-3 worst coaches in the league during his one here. Essentially any other coaching staff in this league would do better with Shaka's players. Fact.

In an average game for Texas, Roach, DO, Long, and Coleman combine to take 20.7 threes, making an average of 5.7 of those shots. It breaks down as-

Roach- 2.5 for 7.7

Coleman- 1.3 for 4.9

DO- 1 for 4.1

Long- 0.9 for 4.0

that DO is still asked to shoot this many threes is just completely nonsensical. 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

In an average game for Texas, Roach, DO, Long, and Coleman combine to take 20.7 threes, making an average of 5.7 of those shots. It breaks down as-

Roach- 2.5 for 7.7

Coleman- 1.3 for 4.9

DO- 1 for 4.1

Long- 0.9 for 4.0

that DO is still asked to shoot this many threes is just completely nonsensical. 

Everybody wants to be Steph Curry nowadays

under normal circumstances i would not bring this up, but royce hamm was awesome in the orange/white scrimmage, and the most impressive thing about his game was his assertive play. he not only left his imprint on the game, he played like he belonged. well, there is no way that he can be any worse than DO and Sims, two starters for our team (nbd), and yet he gets zero run. none. and we've seen this from shaka before, his refusal to use his depth/insistence on losing the same way with the same guys over and over.

with his first team, he didn't want anything to do with barnett, holland, or ibeh. barnett transferred and ended up being really good at mizzou, holland was our team leader and a former all conference defensive player, and ibeh ended up winning the dpoy in the league after being forced into action when cam went down. before then he was playing spare minutes during meaningless non con games. this was shaka's deepest team, so theoretically i can understand it, but those guys should have gotten more run.

the next year it was kendal yancy. that team was so bad, so thin, and so young, there was no reason not to play Yancy more. This isn't a super egregious example, because it's not like it would have mattered with how awful that season was. still, kerwin was supper inconsistent and inefficient, edj was just downright bad, and jacob young was a one trick pony who couldn't actually do that one trick, and yet all of them played as much as if not way more than kendal yancy. by the end of the season you could actually see that yancy was checked out on shaka smart, and i don't blame him.

we all remember the next season when sims didn't get any run, only to average a double double when bamba got hurt. we remember shaka recruiting james banks (not to mention naming him to a loaded team usa), only to never play him. we all remember his bizarre refusal to play his forward depth vs duke as well. the man simply refuses to play his depth no matter how shitty the main guys are playing.

theres no reason that royce hamm shouldn't have played some meaningful minutes this season, particularly considering how awful our front court starters have been, and considering that hamm is more experienced and physically developed than hepa. i've never seen a coach give so many scholarships to so many players who he has no intention of ever giving any pt. why keep watching sims and do do the exact same shit over and over without even trying something new?

Edited by Goo Punch

On 11/27/2018 at 4:17 PM, texasstrong12 said:

What? Don’t tell me we’ve now reached the point where we are downplaying the UNC win because of course “UNC was treating it as an exhibition”. 

Texas should be expecting to make the tournament, too. I'm not saying teams don't play to win, I'm saying it doesn't really matter this early in the season. A win in November 6 games into the season doesn't make this Shaka's "best team" at Texas. We don't even know if UNC is worth a shit or not. (they lost by 17 to Michigan on Wednesday).

You could excuse the Radford loss if it was a first year head coach, but it isn't. It's just more of the same from what we've seen from Shaka. Losing schedule wins and not doing anything in March. 

Edited by ztejas

under normal circumstances i would not bring this up, but royce hamm was awesome in the orange/white scrimmage, and the most impressive thing about his game was his assertive play. he not only left his imprint on the game, he played like he belonged. well, there is no way that he can be any worse than DO and Sims, two starters for our team (nbd), and yet he gets zero run. none. and we've seen this from shaka before, his refusal to use his depth/insistence on losing the same way with the same guys over and over.
with his first team, he didn't want anything to do with barnett, holland, or ibeh. barnett transferred and ended up being really good at mizzou, holland was our team leader and a former all conference defensive player, and ibeh ended up winning the dpoy in the league after being forced into action when cam went down. before then he was playing spare minutes during meaningless non con games. this was shaka's deepest team, so theoretically i can understand it, but those guys should have gotten more run.
the next year it was kendal yancy. that team was so bad, so thin, and so young, there was no reason not to play Yancy more. This isn't a super egregious example, because it's not like it would have mattered with how awful that season was. still, kerwin was supper inconsistent and inefficient, edj was just downright bad, and jacob young was a one trick pony who couldn't actually do that one trick, and yet all of them played as much as if not way more than kendal yancy. by the end of the season you could actually see that yancy was checked out on shaka smart, and i don't blame him.
we all remember the next season when sims didn't get any run, only to average a double double when bamba got hurt. we remember shaka recruiting james banks (not to mention naming him to a loaded team usa), only to never play him. we all remember his bizarre refusal to play his forward depth vs duke as well. the man simply refuses to play his depth no matter how shitty the main guys are playing.
theres no reason that royce hamm shouldn't have played some meaningful minutes this season, particularly considering how awful our front court starters have been, and considering that hamm is more experienced and physically developed than hepa. i've never seen a coach give so many scholarships to so many players who he has no intention of ever giving any pt. why keep watching sims and do do the exact same shit over and over without even trying something new?

That Duke game last year will forever be etched in my brain. He just would not go to the bench. Besides Shaka just being terrible at allocating playing time, the only thing I can think of is that the players on the bench aren’t doing what they should be doing in practice or outside of basketball: going to class, hustling in practice, etc. I agree with you. His playing time decisions have been befuddling.

"didn't sustain a level of energy or commitment to their process". 

this fucking guy. can anyone here name a successful college basketball coach in the history of the sport who talks like shaka smart? i'm starting to wonder if his coach speak and platitudes are insincerity or if he just has absolutely no clue what's going on so he just keeps repeating the same meaningless verbiage in lieu of anything substantive. 

also, gtfo with blaming your players for not being intense enough when a)they are YOUR guys who YOU recruited to play YOUR brand of basketball and b)it's year four at the job. at this point if all of your players are still "having trouble committing to trying hard" then you're just admitting that you can't cut it. that's not a legitimate excuse to lose at home to radford. in fact i'm sure that's not what happened- it was our head coach's refusal to change *anything* about his lame duck offense and it's plethora of missed three point attempts that did us in. 

• Like 1

I wonder if Shaka still hangs out in the dorms with all of his players at night, or if he's realized by now that there's never been a championship coach in the history of the sport who wanted to be bff's with all of his teenage players, hanging out in the dorms watching cartoons, then tucking them in at night and telling them he loves him. shaka would be a helluva camp counselor or youth group leader, but he is not a very good basketball coach, and his shtick is borderline embarrassing.

• Like 1

That 28.1 attempted threes stat seemed so crazy that i thought i must have fudged the math (likely), but i just went and checked every box score and that's correct. Check this stupid shit out:

vs Sparty: 9-34 from deep (Coleman 2/9, Roach 3/9, Ramey 2/6)

vs The Citadel: 12-42(!) We shot 42 threes! (Roach 3/10, Long 1/6)

Has Shaka Smart met his players?

38 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Our team is 65-225 from deep this year. 28.8% on a ridiculous 28.1 three point attempts per game

Texas fans: "our offense can't possibly get any worse."

Shaka: "Hold my beer."

Talk about straight up sabotaging your own team.  We suck at something so somehow doing it more will fix it. One thing I remember from the early readings on Shaka when he first got here is how much of an adherent he is to analytics and the modern credo of basketball that says the only thing better than a 3 is a layup or a shot at the rim. He is clearly overly reliant on this new age wisdom which actually works provided you meet a certain level of effectiveness. A level of effectiveness that certainly eclipses our current 29%  3pt rate. The math simply doesn't work for us and he's has us wasting too many trips on the offensive end in a futile effort to force it work. 

41 minutes ago, txhorns said:

If that happens Shaka better get fired.

I would say it has about a 70%-80% chance of happening unless Andrew Jones becomes Andrew Jones again.  mainly because kenpom gives us way too much credit for playing at home.

I'd really like to think CDC is ready to make his first big hire and given the arena and donation need he's not going to go for coin flip.

7 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

KenPom has us going 6-12 in league play, which sounds about right:

becdace77a31996782e71231668a5ce8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God you're fucking stupid.  Our projected conference record by KenPom right now is 8-10. Tallying up the L's in the individual game predictions does not equal his conference record forecast.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

That credo was developed at a high level in the NBA. Not in college. 

It holds true in the college game as well, but you have to have knockdown shooters. Villanova had that last year. We don't have that. So we're going need to utilize the two point shot and the layups more than we do right now. I think Shaka will be able to make that adjustment.