2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

On 11/23/2018 at 9:23 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Based on Kenpom so far we've played #4 UNC (W), # 8 Michigan State (L), #51 Arkansas (W). 

Next 5 game stretch is going to be a grind. Radford and Grand Canyon are no pushovers. Radford already beat ND and Grand Canyon gave Seton Hall everything they could handle a couple nights ago. Providence and VCU and probably bubble type teams. Purdue looks like a 2nd weekend type team early in the season.

If we can somehow go 4-1 in this stretch we will be sitting really nice. 

If Texas beats Purdue - Texas is a significant favorite against the other 4 you mentioned - they're looking at a 12-1 noncon record which will help a lot come March.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Fuck, we should have fired Shaka after UNC. You know how it goes here.

that would be the football board. this place has been overly fair to shaka in regards to his performance. through three years he's been worse than Tom Penders (or to equate it to football he's been about on par with Charlie Strong  through three years), and the feelings/posts towards Shaka are literally 1/10 as vitriolic and 10x more patient than they were towards Strong. Give this board some credit where it's due. 

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

that would be the football board. this place has been overly fair to shaka in regards to his performance. through three years he's been worse than Tom Penders (or to equate it to football he's been about on par with Charlie Strong  through three years), and the feelings/posts towards Shaka are literally 1/10 as vitriolic and 10x more patient than they were towards Strong. Give this board some credit where it's due. 

Shaka has not been good but he is far ahead of what Strong did here.

Shaka has not been good but he is far ahead of what Strong did here.

through three years at Texas he was .500 overall and 23-31 in conference, and that was with more talent on his rosters than anyone in the league besides KU, with his teams consistently picked to finish near the top of the league. That's just as bad as what Charlie did in his three years as football HC, especially when you look at his record without all of Barnes' players from year one. There's no way to spin being 8 games under .500 in league play for a school with our advantages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

through three years at Texas he was .500 overall and 23-31 in conference, and that was with more talent on his rosters than anyone in the league besides KU, with his teams consistently picked to finish near the top of the league. That's just as bad as what Charlie did in his three years as football HC, especially when you look at his record without all of Barnes' players from year one. There's no way to spin being 8 games under .500 in league play for a school with our advantages.

Im pretty sure we were under .500 in conference in the 3 years before Shaka got here and that was without a cancer stricken guard, and losing arguably our best player in everyone of those 3 years. Just providing context before the neg storm.

well we can argue semantics all day about whether or not shaka's record was comparable to this or that (and for the record we fired Rick who was 26-28 in conference his last three years) who was and still is *HATED* by many of the people here, but the overall point remains that Shaka's performance through three years was way, WAY below what was expected or what's considered acceptable at Texas, yet the tone around here towards him has been MUCH more patient and forgiving than it would have been towards a football coach at Texas with a similar record of underachieving. I mean we finished dead last in the conference his second year and we've yet to win a tourney game. Even if you don't think that's comoarable to what Strong did (which i definitely do), you can't deny that this board is essentially a bunch of Bill In Sinton's compared to the football board. That is a fact.

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

well we can argue semantics all day about whether or not shaka's record was comparable to this or that (and for the record we fired Rick who was 26-28 in conference his last three years) who was and still is *HATED* by many of the people here, but the overall point remains that Shaka's performance through three years was way, WAY below what was expected or what's considered acceptable at Texas, yet the tone around here towards him has been MUCH more patient and forgiving than it would have been towards a football coach at Texas with a similar record of underachieving. I mean we finished dead last in the conference his second year and we've yet to win a tourney game. Even if you don't think that's comoarable to what Strong did (which i definitely do), you can't deny that this board is essentially a bunch of Bill In Sinton's compared to the football board. That is a fact.

A big part of this is just simply being a football school.  Basketball attendance tells you exactly why there isn't a lot of hate towards Shaka from the casual Longhorn fans.  Most fans just don't care about basketball unless we are good AND playing a top ranked or rival team.

As for those of us who do care and follow the team closely i think the majority want Shaka fired after this year if the results are the same.  Most do, however, realize that Shaka has had some really bad breaks at Texas.  Multiple injuries every year to key players definitely has an effect on how good a team and the coach can do.  Who knows how good Shaka would have done in year 1 with a healthy Ridley and Taylor.  Or year 3 with a healthy Jones and Bamba plus EDJ not getting suspended.  Those unknowns have kept a lot of us from having the hate and vitriol towards Shaka that we would normally have right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, txhorns said:

A big part of this is just simply being a football school.  Basketball attendance tells you exactly why there isn't a lot of hate towards Shaka from the casual Longhorn fans.  Most fans just don't care about basketball unless we are good AND playing a top ranked or rival team.

As for those of us who do care and follow the team closely i think the majority want Shaka fired after this year if the results are the same.  Most do, however, realize that Shaka has had some really bad breaks at Texas.  Multiple injuries every year to key players definitely has an effect on how good a team and the coach can do.  Who knows how good Shaka would have done in year 1 with a healthy Ridley and Taylor.  Or year 3 with a healthy Jones and Bamba plus EDJ not getting suspended.  Those unknowns have kept a lot of us from having the hate and vitriol towards Shaka that we would normally have right now.

i agree, and i think that's a credit to the people who really do follow and care about Texas basketball. There's no doubt that results would have been better without so many players falling off for one reason or another. At the same time it's undeniable that the coaching has been substandard, and the longer that goes the more the loss of players stops being an excuse. And i think that Texas basketball fans have been more level headed about these things than a majority of our football fans would under similar circumstances. 

I really hope that we decide to get up and down as a philosophy this year, and i really hope that our new players start to get a lot more PT, because if Shaka does plan to be here going forward then those need to be the guys getting the starts and the majority of the run. We need them both for the immediate and for the future, and if DO, or Febres, or even Coleman isn't cutting it then the guys behind them need to start getting their chances sooner rather than later. That kind of competition would only push and motivate and elevate the older players anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

CDC is at it again:

1234094899bc6b4311eb31c0edb4f7a7.jpg

Every time he makes a move like this (which is often) it really makes it hit home just how incompetent Steve Patterson was.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this on any of the social media accounts. They're usually good about publicizing this sort of thing.

Edited by Machinator

41 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i agree, and i think that's a credit to the people who really do follow and care about Texas basketball. There's no doubt that results would have been better without so many players falling off for one reason or another. At the same time it's undeniable that the coaching has been substandard, and the longer that goes the more the loss of players stops being an excuse. And i think that Texas basketball fans have been more level headed about these things than a majority of our football fans would under similar circumstances. 

I really hope that we decide to get up and down as a philosophy this year, and i really hope that our new players start to get a lot more PT, because if Shaka does plan to be here going forward then those need to be the guys getting the starts and the majority of the run. We need them both for the immediate and for the future, and if DO, or Febres, or even Coleman isn't cutting it then the guys behind them need to start getting their chances sooner rather than later. That kind of competition would only push and motivate and elevate the older players anyway.

Totally agree with everything you said and I  appreciate your noncombative, even handed tone.   

59 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Brillant. Pregame beer is now cheaper at the drum than Scholz.

that's the exact thought i had. i love scholz, but it can get packed pretty quickly and they only have so many people working there. if you can get to the FEC and for 90 minutes before the game get comparable prices on beer then there no need to wait out in the cold at scholz and then walk a few blocks just before tipoff. brilliant move.

I think the small subset of UT sports fans who are interested enough to invest in basketball makes for a more objective assessment of the team.  UT football attracts a bajillion young idiots who are moderately aware enough to remember 2005, probably paid decent attention in 2009, and thus judged the subsequent meltdown with an even harsher perspective than was necessary.  (Not that the judgment shouldn't have been harsh, but if all you know is "play for the national title every few years" your perspective is warped.)

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the small subset of UT sports fans who are interested enough to invest in basketball makes for a more objective assessment of the team.  UT football attracts a bajillion young idiots who are moderately aware enough to remember 2005, probably paid decent attention in 2009, and thus judged the subsequent meltdown with an even harsher perspective than was necessary.  (Not that the judgment shouldn't have been harsh, but if all you know is "play for the national title every few years" your perspective is warped.)

yeah we saw a spell of this with an even smaller subset of people who became UT basketball fans in the early 2000's. whether they became undergrads at Texas during TJ's time, or whether they were in middle school or high school during the decade of the aughts, we had a lot of people who only knew Texas as perennial top 10-25 team. After the collapse in 2010, a lot of those people felt (and some still do for some reason) that we had fallen unimaginably low as a program, when in reality we were still a perennial tournament team which was unheard of at Texas before Barnes.

So if you only started really paying attention to Texas basketball around the time Barnes was hired or in the following years, then you probably have no idea that pre Barnes were on par with Kansas State as far as basketball history goes, perhaps even a bit behind them. There are a lot of Texas basketball fans between the ages of say 28-35 who only knew of a Texas hoops program that regularly featured players like KD, TJ, PJ, DJ, AJ, LA, etc, and who thought that going to the Sweet 16 five times in six years was just what Texas basketba did. They are now experiencing something closer to the Penders years, just with a philosophically inverted program.

Edited by Goo Punch

Who needs four hot dogs to get full?   That’s insane.  I love a good hot dog and after two, I’m miserable.  Why don’t you eat one or two dogs and be an adult and have a beer with it instead of eating two or three more?   

Texas better show up against Radford because this team is capable of beating them. 

5-1 with a win against Notre Dame already without their best player. 

This team won a first four game in the tournament last year and they return the 3 best players off that team.

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

meh. ND isn't all that great (57th on KenPom, 56/69 on AdjO and AdjD), and Radford is #134 behind the likes of Old Dominion (4-3), Southern Illinois (4-3), Charleston, Ball State, Furman, Bradley, Murray State, Liberty, VCU, Vermont, Akron, Northern Kentucky, East Tennessee State, Loyola Marymount, Illinois State, Indiana State, Wright State, and Boise State. They've already lost to Duquesne. Should be a piece of cake for the #17 team in the country.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Old Dominion (4-3), Southern Illinois (4-3), Charleston, Ball State, Furman, Bradley, Murray State, Liberty, VCU, Vermont, Akron, Northern Kentucky, East Tennessee State, Loyola Marymount, Illinois State, Indiana State, Wright State, and Boise State.

Next time maybe just name all 133 teams in front of Radford.

yeah we saw a spell of this with an even smaller subset of people who became UT basketball fans in the early 2000's. whether they became undergrads at Texas during TJ's time, or whether they were in middle school or high school during the decade of the aughts, we had a lot of people who only knew Texas as perennial top 10-25 team. After the collapse in 2010, a lot of those people felt (and some still do for some reason) that we had fallen unimaginably low as a program, when in reality we were still a perennial tournament team which was unheard of at Texas before Barnes.
So if you only started really paying attention to Texas basketball around the time Barnes was hired or in the following years, then you probably have no idea that pre Barnes were on par with Kansas State as far as basketball history goes, perhaps even a bit behind them. There are a lot of Texas basketball fans between the ages of say 28-35 who only knew of a Texas hoops program that regularly featured players like KD, TJ, PJ, DJ, AJ, LA, etc, and who thought that going to the Sweet 16 five times in six years was just what Texas basketba did. They are now experiencing something closer to the Penders years, just with a philosophically inverted program.

For me the Penders years were a great uptick. I had suffered thru the Lemon years where winning the NIT was the hope, and even worse the Kaiser Bob years. Barnes was utopia.

At least Lemons and Penders were characters- they always at least had gbat going for them. I don't pretend remember the Wleltlich era personally, but I was made very aware by my parents that the Penders era was a much more lively and colorful affair than things under Kaiser Bob. I remember Coach Penders one time running out into the court just jumping up and down, waving his arms, and gesticulating towards the officials until they finally T'd him up and tossed him. IIRC it worked too! I wanna day we're down by like 12 or 13 when he did it and we came back and won the game. 

At least Lemons and Penders were characters- they always at least had gbat going for them. I don't pretend remember the Wleltlich era personally, but I was made very aware by my parents that the Penders era was a much more lively and colorful affair than things under Kaiser Bob.

Weltlich basketball was excruciating to watch.  I distinctly remember him getting furious when Patrick Fairs dunked on TCU.

I don't pretend remember the Wleltlich era personally, but I was made very aware by my parents that the Penders era was a much more lively and colorful affair than things under Kaiser Bob.

Went to a lot of the 85-86 team's games. Loved that group. Fought so hard and deserved better but just came up short (or unlucky) at some critical moments. John Brownlee signed my program at the aggy game. Fuzzy memories.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

For me the Penders years were a great uptick. I had suffered thru the Lemon years where winning the NIT was the hope, and even worse the Kaiser Bob years. Barnes was utopia.

But that Wacker injury.  Who knows how far that Texas team goes if he’d stay healthy.  

At least Lemons and Penders were characters- they always at least had gbat going for them. I don't pretend remember the Wleltlich era personally, but I was made very aware by my parents that the Penders era was a much more lively and colorful affair than things under Kaiser Bob. I remember Coach Penders one time running out into the court just jumping up and down, waving his arms, and gesticulating towards the officials until they finally T'd him up and tossed him. IIRC it worked too! I wanna day we're down by like 12 or 13 when he did it and we came back and won the game. 

back in those dates, it was unheard of for coaches to get a 2nd technical and get tossed when things were going south as a last ditch effort to fire up team and crowd... seems to happen less frequently nowadays.

Edited by VinyVango

On 11/28/2018 at 1:30 PM, Tony Soprano said:

Those prices are an improvement but still too damn high. I'm not paying $4 for a hot dog when it take about 3 or 4 to fill me up. They need to look at what the Atlanta Falcons are doing.

They still got that Popeye's fried chicken up in there? That's some good ass shit.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:49 AM, Machinator said:

As pointed out on another thread, Radford defeated Notre Dame last night in South Bend with their best player suspended. They should be a tourney team again (they won the Big South last year) and Texas should not overlook them.

Narrator: they overlooked them (and plain sucked, too)