2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

Guest Camel

Cremo would be a huge pickup. He's got size at the guard position at 6'4" and shot 46% from 3 pt land with 74 made 3's on the season last year. Now that's in a shitty conference, but still. WOW.

Cremo played three games against KenPom top 100 teams in the most recent season: Vermont (2x) and Louisville. His numbers in those games:

@Louisville: 39 minutes, 6/14 FG, 3/4 3PT FG, 3/4 FT, 18 PTS,  5 REB, 3 AST, 1 STL, 1 TO

@Vermont: 24 minutes, 3/10 FG, 0/4 3PT FG, 2/3 FT, 8 PTS, 4 REB, 0 AST, 0 STL, 1 TO

Vermont: 37 minutes,  6/15 FG, 3/7 3PT FG, 1/3 FT, 16 PTS, 5 REB, 9 AST, 1 STL,  1 TO

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I like Morrell and wish him well, but this doesn’t affect us. This is the guy who was deemed to be less indispensable than David Cason when it came time to hiring Jai Lucas. Losing Shaka Smart’s least-valued assistant wont hurt us. Replacing him with a legit offensive coach would help immensely.

It was gonna be kind of hard to ask the guy responsible for signing Andrew Jones to take a demotion. Morrell did a friend a favor in a tight spot. I’m sure promises were made.

I’ll agree with the rest though. In all honesty, he probably needs a better first chair than DH. This thread is gonna suck if he promotes from within.....

It was gonna be kind of hard to ask the guy responsible for signing Andrew Jones to take a demotion. Morrell did a friend a favor in a tight spot. I’m sure promises were made.
I’ll agree with the rest though. In all honesty, he probably needs a better first chair than DH. This thread is gonna suck if he promotes from within.....
Rumor is that Mount St Mary's head coach is in the running.

What’s wrong with Horn? I feel like the one consistently positive aspect of Shaka’s tenure has been the development and play of big men?
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhorn01 said:

What’s wrong with Horn? I feel like the one consistently positive aspect of Shaka’s tenure has been the development and play of big men?

Horn is great, but he’s *just* a level below a top tier assistant. Ideally I’d like for our staff to have two Darrin Horn level coaches and then an ace assistant to top it off. That said we don’t need a splashy hire, we need a good hire. John Beilein went and snatched a coach from a directional Illinois school, a move he credits with Michigan’s 2018 defense being the best in his coaching career. He referred to this guy (can’t recall his name) as his “defensive coordinator”; Shaka needs to go get himself an OC.

OB War Room:

Although the first live evaluation period begins next Friday, it would be a surprise if Shaka Smart hires a new assistant coach by then. Per a source, Smart isn’t expected to rush the hire, and, unsurprisingly, wants to take some time evaluating options. And if Texas chooses to, it could elevate someone temporarily to go on the road evaluating during the live periods. For example, Texas could choose to put Director of Basketball Operations Cody Hatt on the road until a new assistant coach is hired. 

This is an opportunity for Smart to take a close look at his staff and its strengths and weaknesses, how he wants to construct it moving forward, and an opportunity to perhaps add some more Texas ties in addition to Jai Lucas. (McComas)

Friday afternoon, the Longhorns will conduct an in-home visit with 2019 five-star guard Tyrese Maxey (South Garland). The nation’s No. 12 prospect, who has visited Texas in the past, is also expected to host Michigan State, Michigan, and Kentucky. Here’s the wrinkle: there’s buzz building that Maxey is contemplating a move into the 2018 class. And although Kentucky sounds like the leader and is pushing for the move, despite Ashton Hagans’s likely move into the 2018 class to make the Kentucky backcourt even more crowded than it already is, the Longhorns are in the picture, and have a shot. 

If Maxey does decide to move into the 2018 class, Texas has a lot of playing time to offer, and an ideal spot playing alongside point guard Matt Coleman. Meanwhile, Kentucky would have Immanuel Quickley, Quade Green, Hagans, Tyler Herro, Keldon Johnson, and Jemarl Baker all competing for minutes at guard. Although Hamidou Diallo is expected to turn pro, it’s not a lock, and he too could be in the guard mix. That’s a lot of guards, but it hasn’t stopped John Calipari before. 

After this round of in-home visits, it’ll be worth following the conversation that emerges. (McComas)

Albany graduate transfer Joe Cremo has a final five of Creighton, Oregon, Gonzaga, Penn State, and Texas, he confirmed to OB today. Cremo said the schools are in no order, and the only visit he has locked-in currently is this weekend to Creighton. (McComas)

Another recruiting tidbit to pass along: the Texas football and basketball coaches have been in communication about recruiting 2019 Lake Travis standout Garrett Wilson. The local product is good enough to play basketball at the high-major level. (McComas)

On 4/11/2018 at 10:07 PM, Goo Punch said:

Horn is great, but he’s *just* a level below a top tier assistant. Ideally I’d like for our staff to have two Darrin Horn level coaches and then an ace assistant to top it off. That said we don’t need a splashy hire, we need a good hire. John Beilein went and snatched a coach from a directional Illinois school, a move he credits with Michigan’s 2018 defense being the best in his coaching career. He referred to this guy (can’t recall his name) as his “defensive coordinator”; Shaka needs to go get himself an OC.

There are other ways to achieve an improving offense or defense. Most coaches call up friends or study other teams. Barnes studied Utah, Calipari called Barnes for defensive help, Geno Auriemma studied Tex Winter and broke down every game from the Bulls in 1994. He’s obviously switched to the 1-4 as the game changed but the point remains. Most learn from somebody else, not a great assistant hire.

Beilein hired this guy after losing the guy he’d hired the previous year. He flat out admitted he wanted something to work with his offense and he didn’t have the eye for it. So that’s kind of a specific circumstance and it’s pretty impressive for a head coach to admit.

Nevertheless, we need to improve and I don’t care how we do it. DH is on that bench and used to play uptempo as well. Somebody better go learn how to coach this style because nobody on that bench has a background in it. That’s why it’s on Shaka more than any assistant hire to me. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

There are other ways to achieve an improving offense or defense. Most coaches call up friends or study other teams. Barnes studied Utah, Calipari called Barnes for defensive help, Geno Auriemma studied Tex Winter and broke down every game from the Bulls in 1994. He’s obviously switched to the 1-4 as the game changed but the point remains. Most learn from somebody else, not a great assistant hire.

Beilein hired this guy after losing the guy he’d hired the previous year. He flat out admitted he wanted something to work with his offense and he didn’t have the eye for it. So that’s kind of a specific circumstance and it’s pretty impressive for a head coach to admit.

Nevertheless, we need to improve and I don’t care how we do it. DH is on that bench and used to play uptempo as well. Somebody better go learn how to coach this style because nobody on that bench has a background in it. That’s why it’s on Shaka more than any assistant hire to me. 

I think there's a bit of a misreading of the cause of our offensive woes. Most think Shaka runs the open lane, freedom based offense because he's a dummy and doesn't know offense. I think he sees this style of read and react offense as a recruiting tool and hopes it will put him in play for a different level of player, especially wrt guards. There's a reason why a great college guard like Bronson Koenig doesn't get the NBA looks that his otherwise illustrious Wisconsin career should've provided him. Bo Ryan's swing offense simply didn't provide Koenig with a lot of opportunities for NBA scouts to see him in an NBA style offense where he's making quick reads off of a ball screen environment. Therefore there's more work required for scouts to project him at the NBA level. Say what you want, but if Roach comes back NBA scouts will have at least 3 year's of tape with him in an offense where the ball is in his hands making quick decisions off of ball screens. Now having said that, I have a problem with Shaka allowing so much freedom for guys who either don't really have a high bball IQ (Roach), are poorly suited to handle it (Osetkowski), or are too young (Coleman) to have consistent success with it. A young team (especially guards) needs more structure and more defined sets. However, the problem isn't that he's dumb and needs someone smarter to come in and help. The problem is he's too stubborn and runs it when we're too  young and possibly have personnel ill suited (not enough high IQ guards) to run it effectively. 

Last year with Mo Bamba we were great defensively yet we still sucked at rebounding. The way this roster is shaping up we are going to fall off defensively and could be the worst rebounding team in the league. In fact it looks like we’re going from one of the worst shooting teams in major conference ball to attempting to be a team that lives off of shooting. Sounds like a classic Mack Brown over-correction. I’ll be thrilled if we really can shoot the ball next year, but if we suffer defensively and somehow get worse on the boards then our W-L and overall performance isn’t going to improve markedly.

Right now we’re looking at playing 4 guards and Sims, or 4 guards and DO, or 3 guards, a freshman wing who isn’t ready, and one of the two aforementioned bigs on the floor. Shaka was determined to play an inside-out game from the offset at Texas, but it looks like he’s finally accepting that this isn’t going to happen- which means we wasted some good years with some Havoc-ready players trying to be something that we aren’t. 

Edited by Goo Punch

On 4/14/2018 at 5:47 AM, texasstrong12 said:

Woah, did not know Maxey might be reclassifying. 

He's still a heavy UK lean from what I've read. Kind of crazy he would contemplate reclassifying to join UK's current crop of guards. Certainly doesn't fear competition I guess. Or something is amiss and he's not as strong of a UK lean as everyone is making it out to be.

Edited by dieucla98

1 minute ago, BigOrange1 said:

well if he could somehow play his way into being a first round pick in the 2019 draft, he'd be guaranteed just over $5 million:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-salaries/nba-rookie-salary-scale-by-draft-year/

That gamble might be worth it. Ain’t no money like guaranteed money.

Edited by Goo Punch

That gamble might be worth it. Ain’t no money like guaranteed money.
Next year's draft is straight garbage. Unless there are a bunch of foreign players who come on in the next year Roach is pretty much guaranteed to be a 1st rounder if he just has the same performance as last season.

IT notes on assistant coach and recruiting

HOOPS NEWS

When Mike Morrell left the Longhorns last week for the head job at UNC-Asheville, Shaka Smart lost his best friend in the business. So make no mistake, Smart will be thorough in filling the role. 

I’ve heard a few names early, including LeVelle Moton at N.C. Central, Craig Smith of South Dakota, and Mount Saint Mary’s Jamion Christian, all of whom would be tremendous hires. The wild card is currently coaching in the NBA Playoffs, who I personally think would be a steal. 

There’s no timetable I’m aware of, but I’d think it would happen before the end of the NBA Playoffs. 

Something @Groundhog Day alluded to yesterday was the pursuit of ‘19 Westlake 5* center Will Baker. 

Six months ago, I’d have said Texas has a very small shot at the 7-foot southpaw version of Nick Collison. But they’ve slowly made up ground to the point Baker is strongly considering Texas. They’re battling some of the blue bloods - UNC, Duke, UCLA - but the proximity and UT’s recent success in putting bigs directly into the NBA is enticing. The Bakers are noticing. 

University of Albany grad transfer Joe Cremo will visit the Longhorns this weekend as he tries to finalize his plans for his senior season.

Cremo, a 6-foot-4 combo guard from New York, has already visited Creighton and could take two other visits beyond his trip to Austin.

When Cremo announced his intentions to transfer to a larger institution for his senior year, UT head coach Shaka Smart hopped on a plane to visit him within the week. That interest made a big impression on Cremo and has the Longhorns in as good a spot as anybody at this point.

With the uncertainty surrounding the program (Roach’s impending pro decision; Jones’ health; questions about the Ramey recruitment), potentially landing Cremo could be a program altering get for a season that looks more and more like a make or break season for Shaka.

Profile of Cremo as a player:

• Lights out shooter (46% from three; 82% from the free throw line) even as a high volume player
  • Legitimate combo threat as a passer and playmaker
  • Led his team in free throw attempts
  • Led his conference in offensive efficiency
  • Second in his conference in assist rate

If they can land him, Cremo would be a huge get.

Roach is projected as a 2nd round pick in next year's draft.

Jericho Sims is predicted as a top 15 pick in next year's draft. This should give you an idea of : 

1) how much of a crapshoot mocks are this far in advanced and

2) next year's draft class is pure trash

A senior year Roach undoubtedly will be a 1st round pick if he comes back and just improves a little on this year's performance. And in all honesty I'm being conservative with the above. A simple repeat performance will suffice (although it's always good to show improvement)

On 4/6/2018 at 1:49 PM, Goo Punch said:

-G League players make about $26k a year.

Thats about $26k more than he’s making now and he’ll be doing nothing but training to be an NBA player. 

-He also would have a chance to improve his draft stock pretty significantly next year if his shooting improves.  

His shooting will improve more as a full-time professional basketball than it will returning to Texas

-Texas is also probably a tournament team next year.

Unlikely. This will be Shaka’s third-best team at Texas.

6 players have been drafted from the G-league. Only 1 has been drafted in the first round (Hairston #26). 4/6 went late in the 2nd round. There's very little history of players improving their draft stock through the G-league. 

If the goal is to become a first rounder, there's very little evidence that going the G-league route would help. There's a lot more examples of college players improving their draft stock in college than their is in the G-league. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

6 players have been drafted from the G-league. Only 1 has been drafted in the first round (Hairston #26). 4/6 went late in the 2nd round. There's very little history of players improving their draft stock through the G-league. 

If the goal is to become a first rounder, there's very little evidence that going the G-league route would help. 

Wait players can be drafted AFTER the G-League? I thought those guys already went through the draft and were either unclaimed or drafted late.

47 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Wait players can be drafted AFTER the G-League? I thought those guys already went through the draft and were either unclaimed or drafted late.

http://gleague.nba.com/how-rosters-are-built/

"A player who has not yet entered the NBA Draft can instead enter the NBA G League and maintain his NBA Draft eligibility. If the player signs with the NBA G League before the season, he is eligible for the NBA G League Draft. If he signs mid-season, he is available for NBA G League teams to claim in the league waiver pool. Unlike the rest of the players signed by the G League, NBA Draft-eligible players are not eligible to be called up by NBA teams."

Based on this description, I think you are right. Only players that have not entered the NBA draft are draft eligible from G-League. So if Roach enters the draft, I don't think he could improve his draft stock. Roach wouldn't be eligible to be drafted again. 

Maybe "Goo Punch" was just referring to shooting and not the draft process. But the idea of "improving your draft stock" through shooting can only happen in college based on the description above. 

Edited by texasstrong12

https://2ways10days.com/nba-g-league-top-earners-for-the-2016-17-season-ea5804ea7f7b

Here's the top G-League earners from the '16-17 season. Prince Ibeh made $75k and Isaiah Taylor made $255K from NBA call-ups for example. 

There's money to be made in training camp earnings/call-ups. 

Not anywhere close to the money that can be made as a 1st round pick though. That's the thing with Roach, I think he could be a 1st round pick next year. 

That's awesome for Zay that he was able to bring down that chunk of change. He was a fun player to watch here and I'm sorry he had to put up with late-era Barnes who thought that benching Myles Turner was a reasonable thing to do.

Roach should definitely play one more year at UT. He would have a good team around him, be hyped as potential first team all-Big12, etc, and have a chance to be a star in next year's NCAA tournament. This is exactly the type of situation that we see good programs get a player like Roach to return. Under Barnes we pretty much never had a guy with any draft potential return. Seeing Roach buck that trend would be awesome.

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Roach should definitely play one more year at UT. 

Always tough to judge someone's decision because you don't really know their situation. But next year's draft class is really weak. If Roach thinks there's a decent chance to be drafted in the 1st round next year, there's a lot more money to be made based on the rookie salary scale. 

50 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

That's awesome for Zay that he was able to bring down that chunk of change. He was a fun player to watch here and I'm sorry he had to put up with late-era Barnes who thought that benching Myles Turner was a reasonable thing to do.

Roach should definitely play one more year at UT. He would have a good team around him, be hyped as potential first team all-Big12, etc, and have a chance to be a star in next year's NCAA tournament. This is exactly the type of situation that we see good programs get a player like Roach to return. Under Barnes we pretty much never had a guy with any draft potential return. Seeing Roach buck that trend would be awesome.

You talk about Rick Barnes more than I do. And his players didn’t return because when they left early they were by and large lottery picks.

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You talk about Rick Barnes more than I do. And his players didn’t return because when they left early they were by and large lottery picks.

Or maybe it was because Barnes himself said that it was a higher priority for him to get guys into the NBA than to win college championships.

A lot of people keep talking about him being a first rounder next year, some going as far as to guarantee it if he simply repeats last year’s performance. Wat. Do y’all remember Kerwin Roach? Spastic, not a PG, doesn’t handle the ball particularly well, can’t shoot? Career 33% 3-pt shooter and 64% FT shooter at the off-guard position? Our fans CRUSHED him last year for his play, but apparently he’s some sort of first rounder next year now. I know that the draft isn’t that strong, but neither is Roach’s case to a be a first rounder short of a 16/5/4 type of season shooting 40% from deep and 80% from the line. I love the guy but he has never looked like an NBA player other than when he’s dunking. His defense even regressed as the season went on last year. He has a long way to go before someone is giving him a guaranteed contract.

Edited by Goo Punch

3 minutes ago, Cameltoe said:

Or maybe it was because Barnes himself said that it was a higher priority for him to get guys into the NBA than to win college championships.

Yeah and look how that worked out, best coach in program history by a mile. 

Also Mike Morrell said the exact same thing about Shaka when got here. Nearly word-for-word. I posted the quote on Shaggy and jimmyjazz replied pointing out that Barnes had said the same thing. Only a twat with an agenda chooses not to get what both coaches are saying and why they are saying it. But that’s your whole MO so keep doing you.

9 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

A lot of people keep talking about him being a first rounder next year, some going as far as to guarantee it if he simply repeats last year’s performance. Wat. Do y’all remember Kerwin Roach? Spastic, not a PG, doesn’t handle the ball particularly well, can’t shoot? Career 33% 3-pt shooter and 64% FT shooter at the off-guard position? Our fans CRUSHED him last year for his play, but apparently he’s some sort of first rounder next year now. I know that the draft isn’t that strong, but neither is Roach’s case to a be a first rounder short of a 16/5/4 type of season shooting 40% from deep and 80% from the line. I love the guy but he has never looked like an NBA player other than when he’s dunking. His defense even regressed as the season went on last year. He has a long way to go before someone is giving him a guaranteed contract.

C'mon man, he shot 36% from deep this year, a nice improvement over his previous year percentage of 28%. Coach Smart put the ball in his hands for the last possession against Ok St and he came through for the win. He averaged 2 steals a game this year and put up a nice assist rate as well. There's a valid reason why NBA teams are interested. Of course it's not a certainty that he would be a first-rounder if he returns, but he's sure as hell not a first rounder in this draft either.

26 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I love the guy but he has never looked like an NBA player other than when he’s dunking. 

"Stop being such a pussy, don’t say dumb $#@! and cry to black lab. Your words.....If Roach can become a true PG he'll be a lottery pick IMO, but yeah, Davis has NBA written all over him.”

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/183578-Eric-Davis-Jr

Do you just constantly lie? You change your argument to fit whatever narrative you're running with. You were hyping the hell out of Roach being a potential first round pick because of his athleticism before it didn't fit your narrative. Hell, you've already been called out on this before. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

"Stop being such a pussy, don’t say dumb $#@! and cry to black lab. Your words.....If Roach can become a true PG he'll be a lottery pick IMO, but yeah, Davis has NBA written all over him.”

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/183578-Eric-Davis-Jr

Do you just constantly lie? You change your argument to fit whatever narrative you make. 

Do you know how annoying your stupidity is? From how terrible you are at linking things to the fact that you think you just made some sick burn. I said in 2016 that “if Roach could become a true PG he’ll be a lottery pick”, and yet despite the fact that he has never approached anything resembling a PG you believe that this contradicts my statement from today that he’s never looked like an NBA player? Seriously, you’re an idiot. 

Oh ok, dope edit. Allow me to address it: Hey idiot- when someone’s opinion of a player changes after two full years of watching him play that isn’t “switching your narrative” you girly, combative, moron. Go bookmark some more of my posts you weirdo.

Edited by Goo Punch

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Do you know how annoying your stupidity is? From how terrible you are at linking things to the fact that you think you just made some sick burn. I said in 2016 that “if Roach could become a true PG he’ll be a lottery pick”, and yet despite the fact that he has never approached anything resembling a PG you believe that this contradicts my statement from today that he’s never looked like an NBA player? Seriously, you’re an idiot. 

you were hyping the hell out of Roach and his athleticism/physical tools. You went from Roach being a potential lottery pick to not even having a strong claim as a 1st rounder in a weak draft class. 

Your argument shifts with whatever narrative you are trying to run witth. When you want to show Shaka is underachieving with talent you run with narratives like "Roach is a potential lottery pick" or "Roach and Davis are coming off all-conference years". Funny how that changes when your argument shifts. 

Stick to a narrative. 

Edited by texasstrong12

4 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

you were hyping the hell out of Roach and his athleticism/physical tools. You went from Roach being a potential lottery pick to not even having a strong claim as a 1st rounder in a weak draft class. 

Your argument shifts with whatever narrative you are trying to make. When you want to show Shaka is underachieving with talent you run with narratives like "Roach is a potential lottery pick" or "Roach and Davis are coming off all-conference years". 

Stick to a narrative. 

You fucking moron. Once again- when someone’s opinion of a player changes after two full years of watching him play that isn’t “switching your narrative” you girly, combative, moron. Listen to how insane you sound-

2016- “Man, if this guy can become a legit PG he’ll be a lottery pick!”

2018, after watching him decidedly NOT become a legit PG- “Well, that didn’t work out.”

OMG STOP CHANGING YOUR NARRATIVE DERKA!! Leave Shaka alone!!!

Seriously, how did you even manage to bring Shaka into this? You are an obsessive weirdo and an absolute idiot- literally just as stupid and uninformed as camel. Please, stop.

Edited by Goo Punch

6 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

You were hyping Roach as a lottery pick primary because of his athleticism/physical tools. That hasn't changed. The only thing that's changed is your narrative. 

That was only IF HE BECAME A LEGIT PG which never happened you fucking mongoloid. Ssssssseriously bro! Just shut up already! Each ensuing post only shows your own ass even more, and all you’re doing is Derka’ing the thread! You started a petty fight, you’ve lost it in embarrassing fashion, and the best thing to do now is to just shut. the. fuck. up. Just stop talking, seriously. By your own insane, obsessive logic anyone who thinks differently about EDJ now than they did on this day in 2016 is “changing their narrative”. That is little kid logic. Stop it.

Edited by Goo Punch

7 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

That was only IF HE BECAME A LEGIT PG which never happened you fucking mongoloid. Ssssssseriously bro! Just shut up already! Each ensuing posts only shows your own ass even more, and all you’re doing is Derka’ing the thread! You started a petty fight, you’ve lost it in embarrassing fashion, and the best thing to do now is to just shut. the. fuck. up. Just stop talking, seriously.

Fight? You can't cry wolf when you blatantly lie and are called out for it. 

Hell, read the thread I posted. Beast512 summarized it perfectly, "You're hell bent on brow beating us with worthless, idiotic takes. Don't get mad when they are thrown back at you." 

You were hyping Roach as a lottery pick all the way back to the '16-17 season because of certain physical tools. Nothing has changed from that perspective. The only thing that's changed is Roach might return and that undermines your Shaka rants. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1