Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

Not trying to defend the Wells hire, but he was the Utah State HC for six seasons. So the 10 wins in 2018 was all him. And Utah State was a really bad program for a long time.

Anderson made them respectable before him for sure, but Wells kept it at an okay level.

But yeah, it was just at an okay level. He had losing records in 2016 and 2017 that were also all on him. The one really good record got him a P5 job. I think Hocutt liked the way he handled himself and how he interviewed and figured it would be an improvement from Kliff

You are right - the 10-2 season in 2018 is what sealed the hire and he must have interviewed well.

I think he was living off Anderson's leadership and recruits the first two years after Anderson left because when Gary left in 2012 that was a very young team that went 11-2.

Those 3 shit seasons though from 2015-2017, red flag. 6-7,3-9,6-7.

do you think he was canned too early? Maybe he needed a fourth year to get TTU going. I guess to be fair the covid year last year was sort of a junk season

Edited by redswingline
  • Like 1

You are right - the 10-2 season in 2018 is what sealed the hire and he must have interviewed well.
I think he was living off Anderson's leadership and recruits the first two years after Anderson left because when Gary left in 2012 that was a very young team that went 11-2.
Those 3 shit seasons though from 2015-2017, red flag. 6-7,3-9,6-7.
do you think he was canned too early? Maybe he needed a fourth year to get TTU going. I guess to be fair the covid year last year was sort of a junk season

I think that Hocutt felt like his recruiting was lacking. I wish he would have let him at least finish the season. I doubt he could’ve turned it around, but you have to give him three full years, unless there’s some kind of major ethical issues or a complete collapse. I don’t think a fourth year helps that

Wells is a good dude and every Red Raider I know was pulling hard for him. He just didn’t win enough. When Tuberville left, we were all glad to see that jackass leave and wished nothing but the worst for him
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I think that Hocutt felt like his recruiting was lacking. I wish he would have let him at least finish the season. I doubt he could’ve turned it around, but you have to give him three full years, unless there’s some kind of major ethical issues or a complete collapse.

I agree, you have to give a guy at least 3 full seasons, barring an obvious collapse. Ironically, the team had more wins this year, than last year. So it was an improvement, if only marginal. Not sure what Hocutt expects. Not everyone is going to win 9-10 games every year.

8 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Looks like Traylor isn't going to tech, and we're going to have to pony up 6 million to buy him out in 3 years.

https://theathletic.com/news/jeff-traylor-utsa-agree-to-extension-through-2031-after-program-best-8-0-start/OX0MkFsuya1h/

If I were a hot G5 coach, I’d think hard about leaving a job where I am winning for the new look Big XII. That’s a conference that looks a lot like G5. Who doesn’t want to sell recruits on big games in legendary venues like Ames, Lawrence, and Cincy. A conference of legendary post war champions like….BYU once. 

No stability, not lot more respect for winning it, but harder schedules. And G5 are paying well now. Until I see what happens there I am thinking of waiting for a real P5 job to open.