Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

My other kinda tin foil hat theory is that we zeroed in on Herman for reasons beyond football. McRaven wanted to piss in Fertitta's corn flakes over the UT-Houston deal Fertitta spoiled by snatching away his shiny toy football coach. And it seemed like a good idea at the time to all concerned, if you wanted to see it that way. I can't remember a time when there was more excitement around the UH program than when Herman was there -- they drank the Kool-Aid too, and were legit pissed when we took him and dreaded how he was the guy who at last was going to bring us "back." New stadium, alums were going to games, that stupid Whoooooose House? shit. Herman had the balls to call all that out by demanding that more alums care harder. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Will UTSA have the ability to significantly raise traylor’s pay with their move to the AAC?  Haven’t looked up the media deal difference. 

will tech be willing to continue having a hfc salary that high with the big 12’s next media contract only a few years away and no Texas or ou plus a 12 way split?

The Big 12 is not the same Big 12 without Texas & OU. This new version is just a roided up version of the AAC.
Jeff Traylor would be making a lateral move going to Tech in the “new” Big 12. It sucks. Running the table in the new Big 12 would be viewed as only marginally better than running the table in the AAC. 
And Dave Aranda would be stupid not to take the LSU job, otherwise he would be stuck in the “new” Big 12. One bad season for Aranda at Baylor and he has no shot at being a HC in a P4 conference (and I say P4 because the new Big 12 won’t be considered on the same level as the other conferences, despite the Pac-12 being dogshit too).
It’s a whole new world. And if UTSA can’t pay Traylor, they better pray that money comes from places like Frost Bank, Gunn Auto, Ernesto Ancira, Billy Cavender and Charles Butt to supplement his paycheck and keep this guy in town. 

Well, he would be able to play in front of four times as many fans and earn four times as much money. So that’s not really lateral

Found this:

Below is a summary of the College Football Playoff payouts made for 2018-19:

American Athletic Conference$24,554,753

Atlantic Coast Conference$71,472,879

Big Ten Conference$64,601,524

Big 12 Conference$71,827,990

Conference USA$15,604,838

https://businessofcollegesports.com/2018-19-college-football-playoff-payouts/

so pending renegotiations, utsa almost doubles its payout. Will they allocate that to coaches salaries and double his salary?

big 12 is still way out in front of aac, but what will the number be in 2023?  2025?  When is the correct time to start paring your budget down to be in line with projected revenue?  

More

https://www.on3.com/news/conference-tv-deals-current-status-college-football/

this says cusa pays out around 500k per school and aac pays 7 million. 
it also says the big 12 is around 10 million. 

doesn’t take much imagination to see how tech and utsa have converging budgets and hfc salaries in the next few years. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, ButtFumble said:

this seems like a panic move I know Wells was not popular, but Tech fans are generally football idiots and cult followers no one should make decisions based on their bleatings

with the lack of real serious talk about Dykes that has a much better overall record of head coaching it seems like someone at Tech was told that Dykes is not going there (at least at this time) no matter what and will stay at SMU so he can build his reputation to the point that he gets more than 1.5 (Morris) at whatever program he goes to or 4 years after taking over a pretty shit situation at Cal

I think Dykes understands there is more than "recruiting Texas" that will be needed at a place like Tech and having that small mentality is a loser overall

I think Dykes knows he still does not have that outside of Texas recruiting ability at the high school level, but he is working it well at the transfer level and he can build that at the high school level while at SMU

I am not sure Aranda goes to LSU I know LSU can pay hi a ton of cash, but I am not sure they WILL pay him a ton of cash (possibly to their detriment).....he is only 45 years old and he makes $2.5 million at Baylor, but Baylor can easily double that......yes LSU can beat that by a mile IF THEY WANT TO, but I am not sure he is the one they will want to offer $6 million or more to.....Aranda knows there is a lot of shit that comes with the LSU job even if there is a lot of upside as well....I think he will be willing to move from Baylor this year for the right job, but LSU right not be that job and he is young and can afford to wait for the right job.......but Tech cannot afford to wait and see what happens at Baylor and for Baylor to get in the hunt for Traylor or anyone else

then there are the fools at UH...Holgar fucking sucks and it is only a matter of time until he is fired.......he will probably do shitty enough this year that he should be fired based on "8 wins gets you fired", but UH is fucking broke and even with the Big 12 calling they are still fucking broke.....but Tech again can't take the risk that they bite the bullet and fire Holgar after this year

Carthel is young as well, but he can damn sure coach.....is fro Floydada and you get his dad as a package deal......but I am not sure that Tech fans are smart enough to give him time to grow into D1-A and i think it would take him some time....I think he is a coach that benefits from the playoffs and the "roll at the end of the season"

you make the playoffs and you are selling a brand new season and you do well and carry that over.....much different than making a bowl game (or not) and then win (meh) or lose (we are fucked do we fire someone).....it takes adjustment to deal with that mentality

I think it was a MASSIVE mistake for Tech to turn down a bowl game last year I know they were beat up, but they needed all the practice they could get and I think they could have drawn a shitty enough opponent to get a win.....not sure who made that shitty call, but it was a massive mistake

Tech does not have a lot of good choices at this point especially if I am right that Dykes has said "no way not at this time".....there is also the issue of what the Big 12 will look like for the next 2 or 3 years are Texas and OU still around or not.....who wants to be a coach at Tech rolling into the "new Big 12" while on the downside of their tie at Tech and having lost a lot to Texas and OU before they hit the door......much easier to come to Tech after that coach that experienced that has been fired and you are the fresh blood (perfect for Dykes)

I find it hard to believe that Tech would make this move RIGHT NOW if they did not have a coach they wanted all but locked down and I don't think that is Dykes because I a not sure Dykes wants it

of course the flip side is Dykes may well have said yes and ask Tech to deflect so he can finish at SMU on a high note unlike June Jones and aggy Chad.....I don't think Dykes rolls like that though

if this is a case of Tech just firing a guy so they can "get a jump on things" and they do not have someone lined up they are probably fucked they may well miss out on Traylor, Dykes may well say "not stepping into that shit show", and even Carthel might say the same......Carthel does have experience with things getting shitty out of the blue after his dad was treated bad by WTAMU.....so I don't think he will be the type to just take any "better job" either and if it starts to look like Tech is having to go to choice #4 or #5 well that is a shit show

It was a panic fire. But wells is not a good head coach. He took Gary andersens recruits and had a couple good years and floundered. Then he was forced to hire an oc and give up play calling to save his job. Spun that into the tech job. 

I've known Matt since college. He was roommates with a couple friends. He's a good dude but he's aloof. I think he's a competent OC but maybe not a great HC. I hope he lands on his feet. 

• Hook 'Em 5

10 hours ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Until Tech pays Leach they money they owe him, the curse shall continue...

Tech coaches Winning Pct. since Leach

• Tommy Tuberville:  .541
  • Kliff Kingsbury:  .466
  • Matt Wells:   .364

...Or it could be that they are Texas Tech and they just naturally suck.

So, Chad Morris will be the next coach?

the AAC will not be paying out anywhere near $7 million for 5 or 6 more years their TV deal AVERAGES $7 million and is for 12 years so there is a ways to go to get to the average or above

not to mention that new members are not going to be getting a full share of that possibly ever from what I have read....they are taking a lesser share for the deal or until it is renegotiated which will probably not be happening any time soon since it is only a couple of years old and most of the teams added suck cocks

plus there is an exit fee from the CUSA of a couple of million....if UTSA has some big money donors finally step up who knows, but so far they have had medium money donors and the city helping them fund their athletics projects

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Skipper said:

The younger generation from Briles tree and Leach tree may all get looks with as many Texas openings this year on the carousel.   Surely UTSA opening with Traylor upgrading.  Almost certainly UNT as bad as they are.  Potentially Baylor if LSU wants Aranda.  Hell, potentially TCU if Patterson keeps losing?  Could that happen?  SMU obviously if Dykes leaves.   Harrell may have a chance to come home. I guess Cumbie gets an audition as acting head coach at Tech.  In addition to Briles Jr. (Arkie OC), people forget that is is really Lebby (not Kiffin) running that Ole Miss offense.  He will get a call as well.  You would think McGuire may get a shot as well.

UNT will be open and wants Harrell to return.

"We just need a proven winner, a guy who's done it all before." See Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. Ex-Miami coaches wherever they've gone. Jimbo. Mack. Les. 

HBC was a home-run at USCe. He’s got the best WPC for them post-war. Only CCG appearance. Three eleven win seasons in 10 years. Whipped Dabo on the field and recruited the hell out of the state and region. No coincidence that Clemson took off after Spurrier left. USCe is a hard job and he did damn well there and is the best coach they’ve ever had. Fun fact: the Gamecocks have only four 10 plus win seasons and HBC coached three of those. He coached their ONLY top ten seasons in history. 

Obviously the jury is still out on Fisher, fair to say he’s elevated the program’s status and perception and had a good COVID shortened year but still hasn’t produced for what he’s paid. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 3

Kliff earned what he got.  I don't feel like he was a bad hire, but obviously coaching the NFL and college football are 2 different animals.  Lots of folks have achieved drastically different results in the different levels.

Barry Switzer pulled it off though.

ERGUHOLYPATWHQE3HMT5ND3ATQ.jpg

7 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Reading this topic almost makes me feel like Texas fans are jealous that Tech got to fire mediocrity and want to save Traylor for Sark’s departure. 

I'm not jealous. I like Sark and want to give him 3-4 years before making a change. 

Traylor is still one of the good guys. He goes to Tech and we play him until the SEC departure. He's a legitimate threat to steal good recruits from Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Tommy Shelby said:

Reading this topic almost makes me feel like Texas fans are jealous that Tech got to fire mediocrity and want to save Traylor for Sark’s departure. 

Corollary to the "most popular player on the team is the backup QB" is now: "the most popular coach is the coach you didn't hire last time around."  Someone on another thread was opining that Texas shoulda/coulda/woulda hired Traylor...LOL.  I can see the Surlyhorns blowups already "OMG Texas hires the UTSA coach to replace our failed HOUSTON coach!" "OMG Texas swings and misses, AGAIN" "OMG we can't let our nuts swing and actually hire a big time coach with a track record of success, we have to go for the unproven coach with 'potential!'" "With ALL THE RESOURCES IN THE WORLD we hire Traylor hot off one year at UTSA?!!" etc etc etc

He may actually end up being great at UTSA, Tech or wherever.  But anyone saying that it would have been a smart hire for Texas a year ago is ignoring that CDC woulda been run out of town on rail with that hire.

• Rage+1 1

9 hours ago, MrBig said:

The Big 12 is not the same Big 12 without Texas & OU. This new version is just a roided up version of the AAC.

Jeff Traylor would be making a lateral move going to Tech in the “new” Big 12. It sucks. Running the table in the new Big 12 would be viewed as only marginally better than running the table in the AAC. 

And Dave Aranda would be stupid not to take the LSU job, otherwise he would be stuck in the “new” Big 12. One bad season for Aranda at Baylor and he has no shot at being a HC in a P4 conference (and I say P4 because the new Big 12 won’t be considered on the same level as the other conferences, despite the Pac-12 being dogshit too).

It’s a whole new world. And if UTSA can’t pay Traylor, they better pray that money comes from places like Frost Bank, Gunn Auto, Ernesto Ancira, Billy Cavender and Charles Butt to supplement his paycheck and keep this guy in town. 

I Guess If You Say So GIF

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

I am not sure Aranda goes to LSU I know LSU can pay hi a ton of cash, but I am not sure they WILL pay him a ton of cash (possibly to their detriment).....he is only 45 years old and he makes $2.5 million at Baylor, but Baylor can easily double that......yes LSU can beat that by a mile IF THEY WANT TO, but I am not sure he is the one they will want to offer $6 million or more to.....Aranda knows there is a lot of shit that comes with the LSU job even if there is a lot of upside as well....I think he will be willing to move from Baylor this year for the right job, but LSU right not be that job and he is young and can afford to wait for the right job.......but Tech cannot afford to wait and see what happens at Baylor and for Baylor to get in the hunt for Traylor or anyone else

then there are the fools at UH...Holgar fucking sucks and it is only a matter of time until he is fired.......he will probably do shitty enough this year that he should be fired based on "8 wins gets you fired", but UH is fucking broke and even with the Big 12 calling they are still fucking broke.....but Tech again can't take the risk that they bite the bullet and fire Holgar after this year

Carthel is young as well, but he can damn sure coach.....is fro Floydada and you get his dad as a package deal......but I am not sure that Tech fans are smart enough to give him time to grow into D1-A and i think it would take him some time....I think he is a coach that benefits from the playoffs and the "roll at the end of the season"

you make the playoffs and you are selling a brand new season and you do well and carry that over.....much different than making a bowl game (or not) and then win (meh) or lose (we are fucked do we fire someone).....it takes adjustment to deal with that mentality

I think it was a MASSIVE mistake for Tech to turn down a bowl game last year I know they were beat up, but they needed all the practice they could get and I think they could have drawn a shitty enough opponent to get a win.....not sure who made that shitty call, but it was a massive mistake

Tech does not have a lot of good choices at this point especially if I am right that Dykes has said "no way not at this time".....there is also the issue of what the Big 12 will look like for the next 2 or 3 years are Texas and OU still around or not.....who wants to be a coach at Tech rolling into the "new Big 12" while on the downside of their tie at Tech and having lost a lot to Texas and OU before they hit the door......much easier to come to Tech after that coach that experienced that has been fired and you are the fresh blood (perfect for Dykes)

I find it hard to believe that Tech would make this move RIGHT NOW if they did not have a coach they wanted all but locked down and I don't think that is Dykes because I a not sure Dykes wants it

of course the flip side is Dykes may well have said yes and ask Tech to deflect so he can finish at SMU on a high note unlike June Jones and aggy Chad.....I don't think Dykes rolls like that though

if this is a case of Tech just firing a guy so they can "get a jump on things" and they do not have someone lined up they are probably fucked they may well miss out on Traylor, Dykes may well say "not stepping into that shit show", and even Carthel might say the same......Carthel does have experience with things getting shitty out of the blue after his dad was treated bad by WTAMU.....so I don't think he will be the type to just take any "better job" either and if it starts to look like Tech is having to go to choice #4 or #5 well that is a shit show

Why is Aranda a serious candidate anywhere right now... only two years as a head coach, has not accomplished anything yet,  and just puts you to sleep watching his press conferences

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Why is Aranda a serious candidate anywhere right now... only two years as a head coach, has not accomplished anything yet,  and just puts you to sleep watching his press conferences

LSU may be getting tired of going the “colorful dumbass” route. Aranda would be the polar opposite of Miles and Coach Foobaw.

3 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

No one thinks it is, but it does help when it comes to trying to analyze what's going on with Texas Tech football.

That's why I asked the question.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That's why I asked the question.

OK, short answer: he's not shown improvement this year.

We've beaten UH (barely), SFA (even more barely), FIU, WVU and KU. We lost to UT 70-35 and TCU 52-31 (in Lubbock). We weren't competitive for even one quarter in either game.  Last weekend, we led a bad KSU team 24-10 at the half, then got shut out in the 2nd half and lost 25-24.  We still have OSU, OU, ISU and Baylor left on the schedule, i.e. the best four teams in the Big 12.  

so if Sonny Dykes goes to Tech, seems like SMU would go straight for Traylor.  if i'm Traylor, i'd rather go to SMU than Tech.  he could recruit the bejeezus out of DFW.  he can win the AAC and pad his resume.  i know UTSA is moving to the AAC, but it'll be easier to win that at SMU than UTSA.  he'll have better talent.  and make more $$$.  then Traylor will be ready for a good Power 5 job.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Kliff earned what he got.  I don't feel like he was a bad hire, but obviously coaching the NFL and college football are 2 different animals.  Lots of folks have achieved drastically different results in the different levels.

Barry Switzer pulled it off though.

ERGUHOLYPATWHQE3HMT5ND3ATQ.jpg

130917172121-barry-switzer-05553820-sing

Barry preping for a game with the talent and machine Jimmy left him.

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

We've beaten UH (barely), SFA (even more barely), FIU, WVU and KU. We lost to UT 70-35 and TCU 52-31 (in Lubbock). We weren't competitive for even one quarter in either game.  Last weekend, we led a bad KSU team 24-10 at the half, then got shut out in the 2nd half and lost 25-24.  We still have OSU, OU, ISU and Baylor left on the schedule, i.e. the best four teams in the Big 12.  

I take offense to this sir. 

200.gif

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Corollary to the "most popular player on the team is the backup QB" is now: "the most popular coach is the coach you didn't hire last time around."  Someone on another thread was opining that Texas shoulda/coulda/woulda hired Traylor...LOL.  I can see the Surlyhorns blowups already "OMG Texas hires the UTSA coach to replace our failed HOUSTON coach!" "OMG Texas swings and misses, AGAIN" "OMG we can't let our nuts swing and actually hire a big time coach with a track record of success, we have to go for the unproven coach with 'potential!'" "With ALL THE RESOURCES IN THE WORLD we hire Traylor hot off one year at UTSA?!!" etc etc etc

He may actually end up being great at UTSA, Tech or wherever.  But anyone saying that it would have been a smart hire for Texas a year ago is ignoring that CDC woulda been run out of town on rail with that hire.

I was one of the early Traylor4Texas guys, but I also knew everything you mention in your first paragraph would happen if he didn’t immediately win. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

He believes in the James Carville school of hair styling. It probably counts for something in La. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I'll bet Carville is about as popular on Tiger Droppings as Don Huffines is in Cloak Room.

Probably true, but he’s the only bald Louisianan of note I could think of. Bradshaw still hangs on to what is left to him and Drew Brees gets honorary mention. They could go with Napier for a more complete if shortened coiffure.

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

6 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

So if Tech scored two more points against KSU, you think he'd still have his job?

5 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I was one of the early Traylor4Texas guys, but I also knew everything you mention in your first paragraph would happen if he didn’t immediately win. 

Alonzo Mourning gif....

At some point this program needs to truly commit to a rebuild. Word needs to come down from on high that we are in a rebuild, that we are not back, and we are gonna give some coach a full FIVE YEARS to get it down just like it says in the contract. Okie State did that with Gundy and it looks like Clemson did it with Dabo. Right now we are on a trail blazed by Nebraska, Miami and Tennessee, USC, and now it looks like Florida State, which is bad, very bad.

It doesn't invariably lead to perpetual mediocrity and there is every reason to believe that with our resources and local talent we can and will right the ship at some point, but it will not happen until we become a program again. We are not a program right now. We are a team. A program has eras. We have seasons. A program redshirts blue-chips, a program reloads, a program doesn't give a shit about players going early to the draft. We haven't been doing that for the past 15 years. 

• Hook 'Em 8

While they may not land a "big" name  I think there are plenty of coaches at smaller programs who would love to have the opportunity to coach at Tech and some of them could be diamonds in the rough. They need to be open about their aspirations and actively campaign for the job. Buy billboards, raise money, give speeches, pass out buttons at rallies, have some televised debates with Herbstreit as a moderator - all that good shit that goes with a campaign. Then the Techies get to vote on it. 

1 hour ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Alonzo Mourning gif....

At some point this program needs to truly commit to a rebuild. Word needs to come down from on high that we are in a rebuild, that we are not back, and we are gonna give some coach a full FIVE YEARS to get it down just like it says in the contract. Okie State did that with Gundy and it looks like Clemson did it with Dabo. Right now we are on a trail blazed by Nebraska, Miami and Tennessee, USC, and now it looks like Florida State, which is bad, very bad.

It doesn't invariably lead to perpetual mediocrity and there is every reason to believe that with our resources and local talent we can and will right the ship at some point, but it will not happen until we become a program again. We are not a program right now. We are a team. A program has eras. We have seasons. A program redshirts blue-chips, a program reloads, a program doesn't give a shit about players going early to the draft. We haven't been doing that for the past 15 years. 

How does 5 years for Tom sound?  He’d still be coach right now.  That sound good to you?  Charlie was awful.  We didn’t need to watch 5 years of that shit to know he wasn’t going to work.

• Hook 'Em 8