Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

14 hours ago, El Diablo said:

How does Hocutt still have his job? He hire Billy Gillespie, Kliff Kingsbury, Matt Wells and couldn't hold onto Chris Beard. Tech really gonna let him keep running the show?

Million dollar question.  His next good football hire will be his first, going back to his time at Miami.  

Everyone says, "But he hired Beard, he hired Tadlock, Track is awesome".  Well, allow me to retort:

1.  Beard:  That fell in his lap.  Anyone with half a lick of sense would have gone after Beard the moment Tubby submitted his resignation.  I'm sorry, but I can't give him credit for that one.  That was the quintessential definition of low-hanging fruit.

2. Tadlock:  Again, low-hanging fruit. First, Tadlock was already on the Tech staff.  Second, everyone knew before Kirby ever arrived in Lubbock that Tadlock would be the eventual pick to be the head baseball coach.  Kirby would have been fired if he had NOT named Tadlock the head coach.

3.  Track:  Doesn't count.  Wes Kitley was at Tech before Kirby.

4.  Other sports:  a. Don't pay the bills.  b. He whiffed twice on women's basketball coach.

Kirby should have been fired at the same time as Wells.  This disaster of a hire was all on him, as was KK before him, as was the Miami coach who sucked.

7 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Tom’s recruiting was significantly better than Charlie’s.  I don’t know where this myth that Charlie could recruit comes from. If you were to stack our last four coaches in their prime up, it’s go Mack, Sark, Herman and Charlie. Charlie would be a distant distant 4th. Just because he got lucky with one class that took him from 10 to 7 in the wake of the Briles situation doesn’t mean shit. And, that class was bolstered by Patrick Hudson, who never played, and was a really weak #7. Herman was better. 

Just pure bullshit and more of your emotional, womanly thinking, like "I don't like Emmanuel Acho, so that means he sucked as a player."

Who among this shit Herman left behind besides Bijan looks like an NFL player to you?

Tom’s recruiting was significantly better than Charlie’s.  I don’t know where this myth that Charlie could recruit comes from. If you were to stack our last four coaches in their prime up, it’s go Mack, Sark, Herman and Charlie. Charlie would be a distant distant 4th. Just because he got lucky with one class that took him from 10 to 7 in the wake of the Briles situation doesn’t mean shit. And, that class was bolstered by Patrick Hudson, who never played, and was a really weak #7. Herman was better. 

Hate to tell you bro, but from 5-7 to 7-6 with a considerable amount of now upper class talent ain’t exactly coaching circles around nobody. Ehlinger/Beuchele combo was better than Swoopes/Beuchele combo.

I don’t know enough of the inner workings on recruiting to know all those dynamics. But the final output is probably in Strongs favor especially when he had 1 less year and less time and fewer local connections in the first year than Hermie did.

LJH/Duvernay/Collin was better than whoever you wanna include. The DBs have done a reasonable job in the NFL. Herman’s DB recruits are TBD. His WR recruits, um well, I like Whittington.

Hermie did better on the Oline I think although he left last years class in the toilet. Poona Ford was awesome and was generally under appreciated. We’d probably be top 10 with 1 loss if that dude were here.

Strong brought in Hermans Texas Bowl MVP. Michael Dickson.

Now we roll into Sark who basically has to win out for this year to be considered a betterment of last year. I wasn’t a fan of Herman but he could have produced this years results to date.

What is understated is the miserable talent level Mack left. There was some first team talent on defense, much of it seniors. Strong improved the talent. Then Herman improved it from there.

At this point Strongs not part of the equation.

I just think you like hyping Herman cause the two of you share similarities.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I hate Herman. Legitimately like Charlie more. Charlie was a bad coach, a bad recruiter and your post is absolutely terrible.

It was not necessarily my intention to infer you liking Herman in a personal sense, but you obviously stated a preference. Said you were similar in ways to Herman. You know, arrogant. Maybe a bit of a mouthy Jack wagon.

Maybe Charlie is a bad recruiter. Never claimed one way or another. Made no claim about his coaching but more so in a not so fast my friend way said I’m not sure Herman was a coaching god relative to Strong. We’re on to Sark for reasons. none of which are winning too many games the last 10 years.

When you’re admiring your genius in the mirror next time, re-read my post and ask yourself which of those points are definitely wrong.

And I will state that Herman not retaining Traylor was beyond stupid. That should have been a gift that kept on giving. That would have significant for recruiting. And likely coaching.
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I didn’t say he recruited good, I said he could recruit better than he could win.   He sucked balls at winning,.

Edited by Treefidy

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

When are they going to announce Kendall Briles (thats my prediction anyway)

Or Lebby.

Both are gateways to Daddy Briles.  LOLing at the campaign on Tech sites to justify Briles connection because Jett Duffie and a player not even connected to Tech had sexual misconduct issues.

The internet is fascinating and the attempts to ‘massage reality’ and shape opinion stick out like a sore thumb.

‘Briles didn’t rape them girls, so just forgive him and hit reset. Football wins matter more thanwhat the face of our program allowed to happen under his watch.’  
Um…NO!!!

Edited by slorch

15 minutes ago, slorch said:

Or Lebby.

Both are gateways to Daddy Briles.  LOLing at the campaign on Tech sites to justify Briles connection because Jett Duffie and a player not even connected to Tech had sexual misconduct issues.

The internet is fascinating and the attempts to ‘massage reality’ and shape opinion stick out like a sore thumb.

‘Briles didn’t rape them girls, so just forgive him and hit reset. Football wins matter more thanwhat the face of our program allowed to happen under his watch.’  
Um…NO!!!

Nope Briles didn't,  some bad dudes that women shouldn't hang around with did it. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Herman was Mackovic II without the losing seasons

Except Mackovic left behind: 

Ricky Williams

Shaun Rogers and Casey Hampton

Major Applewhite 

Kwame Cavil and Wane McGarity.

Leonard Davis, a future first-round draft pick and Cowboys OT.

Quentin Jammer,  a member of the San Diego Chargers All 50th Anniversary team.

D.D. Lewis, a decent NFL linebacker and one of the best LBs Texas has had since the early 1980s. (To his credit, Brown moved him there from running back.)

Hodges Mitchell, still one of UT’s top ten leading rushers.

Which is pretty close to what Royal left Akers.

What Herman left Sark is not comparable, aside from a possible Heisman RB. Which is a big "aside," but our DTs are not Hampton & Rogers, Overshown is not DD Lewis, there is no Leonard Davis on the OL, I don't think either Casey or Card are Major-level, and we don't have an consensus All American CB like Jammer. 

So if what you mean is Mackovic is like Herman II in that he was a shitty coach and a raging asshole, you're right. But the fact is Mackovic blew Herman's, and Strong's, and late Mack's, recruiting completely out of the water. 

I am really curious as to who we think from Herman's recruits aside from Bijan has even a second-contract type NFL career in him.

Texas Tech didn't do much research when they hired Matt Wells.
It was his boss, Gary Anderson, that pushed Utah State into relevance and then anderson left. Matt took over and the program steadily declined. But he was living off Anderson coattails. Not surprised that didn't work out.

Not trying to defend the Wells hire, but he was the Utah State HC for six seasons. So the 10 wins in 2018 was all him. And Utah State was a really bad program for a long time.

Anderson made them respectable before him for sure, but Wells kept it at an okay level.

But yeah, it was just at an okay level. He had losing records in 2016 and 2017 that were also all on him. The one really good record got him a P5 job. I think Hocutt liked the way he handled himself and how he interviewed and figured it would be an improvement from Kliff