Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

1 minute ago, Chico_SA said:

This makes me very happy.  But I understand the game. I'm a coach. I'm hopeful that he holds out for something bigger. He's going to stay successful at UTSA until the time is right. 

He’s the type of guy who when he does leave won’t leave the program until there is a plan in place. He strikes me that way. There is a reason he is so beloved with Texas HS coaches. I get it is what he’s supposed to say but he’s committed to building something where he is. Who knows? He seems like a damn good grounded guy and might not have the itch to bolt…you never know. UTSA was damned smart to grab him. 

43 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

UTSA has a nice televised spot at night on ESPN2 for Utep game and their big move to AAC to consider but Traylor would be one coach I would trust when he says this.

Lulz.  He's a football coach.  Football coaches lie.  Moose out front shoulda told you.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Nicole44 said:

UTSA has a nice televised spot at night on ESPN2 for Utep game and their big move to AAC to consider but Traylor would be one coach I would trust when he says this. UTSA has a real keeper here imo. 
he ain’t going to Tech. 

Oh Nicole.

• Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

• immamac changed the title to Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach
1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

https://sfajacks.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/colby-carthel/627

Colby Carthel might be a wild card pick.   He’s taken two programs that were total crap and turned them around.   Commerce won a National title and SFA is a work in progress.   SFA nearly knocked off Tech back in September.   

Yeah that guy is my second favorite in-state candidate. 

I really think the tried and true "best practices" in hiring college football coaches are really nothing more than a crapshoot with very, very rare exceptions. Like maybe only one -- Saban, who has put together than juggernaut without disgracing the programs he's coached or generally being the weirdo Urban is. 

For every ironclad rule of coaching hires, there are a hundred exceptions.

There's the "culture" thing, where people seem to think Southern or Texan coaches should get first dibs on jobs in SEC country and here, and likewise for West Coast dudes and Midwesterners, and then you've got Saban winning at two of the most Southern schools on the planet, Johnny Majors winning at Pitt (going way way back), Holtz winning at Notre Dame, and millions of retread yokel coaches getting chances to flop repeatedly in the SEC.

There's the idea that "NFL guys" flop in the NCAA and then there's Pete Carroll.  

"We just need a proven winner, a guy who's done it all before." See Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. Ex-Miami coaches wherever they've gone. Jimbo. Mack. Les. 

"Rising star G5 guys are your best bet." We know the story here all too well. For every Urban there are scores of mediocrities and disasters. 

"While we would prefer a proven winner, failing that, we will only consider a guy with head coaching experience." See Oklahoma's last two hires, Dabo, and the Purple Wizard, who spent his first 13 years out of college as a HC coach and had no I-A HC experience when K-State hired him.

"Poach a dude from a lesser/equal P5" Did not work with McWilliams.....I guess you could say it did with Saban but again, that's Saban. APyongnd it's worked for Bama before when they lured the Bear out of Pyongyang-on-the-Brazos, but basically between Bear and Saban, Alabama has illustrated every single one of these fallacies at one point or another.  

I just don't understand why we think any of these rules of thumb should not be challenged routinely. Give more consideration to championship coaches at lower levels of NCAA competition like Carthel. Stop demanding that HS legends need ten or 15 years experience in college before they can dare to dream of a headset at a bigtime program. 

So much of it smacks of insecurity and timidity and short-sightedness, like "Oh no what would my aggy co-workers say if we'd hired Traylor when they hired Jimbo." 

Who cares?

He who laughs last laughs longest and loudest. And the laughter would have started the second Traylor started snatching all their recruits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I really think the tried and true "best practices" in hiring college football coaches are really nothing more than a crapshoot with very, very rare exceptions. Like maybe only one -- Saban, who has put together than juggernaut without disgracing the programs he's coached or generally being the weirdo Urban is. 

There's the "culture" thing, where people seem to think Southern or Texan coaches should get first dibs on jobs in SEC country and here, and likewise for West Coast dudes and Midwesterners, and then you've got Saban winning at two of the most Southern schools on the planet, Johnny Majors winning at Pitt (going way way back), Holtz winning at Notre Dame, and millions of retread yokel coaches getting chances to flop repeatedly in the SEC.

There's the idea that "NFL guys" flop in the NCAA and then there's Pete Carroll.  

"We just need a proven winner, a guy who's done it all before." See Steve Spurrier at South Carolina. Ex-Miami coaches wherever they've gone. Jimbo. Mack. Les. 

"Rising star G5 guys are your best bet." We know the story here all too well. For every Urban there are scores of mediocrities and disasters. 

"While we would prefer a proven winner, failing that, we will only consider a guy with head coaching experience." See Oklahoma's last two hires, Dabo, and the Purple Wizard, who spent his first 13 years out of college as a HC coach and had no I-A HC experience when K-State hired him.

"Poach a dude from a lesser/equal P5" Did not work with McWilliams.....I guess you could say it did with Saban but again, that's Saban. APyongnd it's worked for Bama before when they lured the Bear out of Pyongyang-on-the-Brazos, but basically between Bear and Saban, Alabama has illustrated every single one of these fallacies at one point or another.  

I just don't understand why we think any of these rules of thumb should not be challenged routinely. Give more consideration to championship coaches at lower levels of NCAA competition like Carthel. Stop demanding that HS legends need ten or 15 years experience in college before they can dare to dream of a headset at a bigtime program. 

So much of it smacks of insecurity and timidity and short-sightedness, like "Oh no what would my aggy co-workers say if we'd hired Traylor when they hired Jimbo." 

Who cares?

He who laughs last laughs longest and loudest. And the laughter would have started the second Traylor started snatching all their recruits. 

Well said, Coach Traylor.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Who cares?

Shut your yapper Jeff, ain’t nobody got time for an “ode to coaching hires.” Lulz 

52 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Who cares?

When fans don't like a candidate, he's now referred to as "another Tom Herman"  😋

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Who cares?

Brian Kelley at Norte Dame started at a no name college in Michigan and I think they won four consecutive D2 national titles.  He didn't make a stop in FBS though although Central Michigan was pretty close to it before he went on to Cincy.

this seems like a panic move I know Wells was not popular, but Tech fans are generally football idiots and cult followers no one should make decisions based on their bleatings

with the lack of real serious talk about Dykes that has a much better overall record of head coaching it seems like someone at Tech was told that Dykes is not going there (at least at this time) no matter what and will stay at SMU so he can build his reputation to the point that he gets more than 1.5 (Morris) at whatever program he goes to or 4 years after taking over a pretty shit situation at Cal

I think Dykes understands there is more than "recruiting Texas" that will be needed at a place like Tech and having that small mentality is a loser overall

I think Dykes knows he still does not have that outside of Texas recruiting ability at the high school level, but he is working it well at the transfer level and he can build that at the high school level while at SMU

I am not sure Aranda goes to LSU I know LSU can pay hi a ton of cash, but I am not sure they WILL pay him a ton of cash (possibly to their detriment).....he is only 45 years old and he makes $2.5 million at Baylor, but Baylor can easily double that......yes LSU can beat that by a mile IF THEY WANT TO, but I am not sure he is the one they will want to offer $6 million or more to.....Aranda knows there is a lot of shit that comes with the LSU job even if there is a lot of upside as well....I think he will be willing to move from Baylor this year for the right job, but LSU right not be that job and he is young and can afford to wait for the right job.......but Tech cannot afford to wait and see what happens at Baylor and for Baylor to get in the hunt for Traylor or anyone else

then there are the fools at UH...Holgar fucking sucks and it is only a matter of time until he is fired.......he will probably do shitty enough this year that he should be fired based on "8 wins gets you fired", but UH is fucking broke and even with the Big 12 calling they are still fucking broke.....but Tech again can't take the risk that they bite the bullet and fire Holgar after this year

Carthel is young as well, but he can damn sure coach.....is fro Floydada and you get his dad as a package deal......but I am not sure that Tech fans are smart enough to give him time to grow into D1-A and i think it would take him some time....I think he is a coach that benefits from the playoffs and the "roll at the end of the season"

you make the playoffs and you are selling a brand new season and you do well and carry that over.....much different than making a bowl game (or not) and then win (meh) or lose (we are fucked do we fire someone).....it takes adjustment to deal with that mentality

I think it was a MASSIVE mistake for Tech to turn down a bowl game last year I know they were beat up, but they needed all the practice they could get and I think they could have drawn a shitty enough opponent to get a win.....not sure who made that shitty call, but it was a massive mistake

Tech does not have a lot of good choices at this point especially if I am right that Dykes has said "no way not at this time".....there is also the issue of what the Big 12 will look like for the next 2 or 3 years are Texas and OU still around or not.....who wants to be a coach at Tech rolling into the "new Big 12" while on the downside of their tie at Tech and having lost a lot to Texas and OU before they hit the door......much easier to come to Tech after that coach that experienced that has been fired and you are the fresh blood (perfect for Dykes)

I find it hard to believe that Tech would make this move RIGHT NOW if they did not have a coach they wanted all but locked down and I don't think that is Dykes because I a not sure Dykes wants it

of course the flip side is Dykes may well have said yes and ask Tech to deflect so he can finish at SMU on a high note unlike June Jones and aggy Chad.....I don't think Dykes rolls like that though

if this is a case of Tech just firing a guy so they can "get a jump on things" and they do not have someone lined up they are probably fucked they may well miss out on Traylor, Dykes may well say "not stepping into that shit show", and even Carthel might say the same......Carthel does have experience with things getting shitty out of the blue after his dad was treated bad by WTAMU.....so I don't think he will be the type to just take any "better job" either and if it starts to look like Tech is having to go to choice #4 or #5 well that is a shit show

• Hook 'Em 1

The Big 12 is not the same Big 12 without Texas & OU. This new version is just a roided up version of the AAC.

Jeff Traylor would be making a lateral move going to Tech in the “new” Big 12. It sucks. Running the table in the new Big 12 would be viewed as only marginally better than running the table in the AAC. 

And Dave Aranda would be stupid not to take the LSU job, otherwise he would be stuck in the “new” Big 12. One bad season for Aranda at Baylor and he has no shot at being a HC in a P4 conference (and I say P4 because the new Big 12 won’t be considered on the same level as the other conferences, despite the Pac-12 being dogshit too).

It’s a whole new world. And if UTSA can’t pay Traylor, they better pray that money comes from places like Frost Bank, Gunn Auto, Ernesto Ancira, Billy Cavender and Charles Butt to supplement his paycheck and keep this guy in town. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

When fans don't like a candidate, he's now referred to as "another Tom Herman"  😋

I kind of blame the lame Houston sports media. UH football is way, way down on their list, to be fair, but they very rarely called him out for the kind of immature, petty, narcissistic bullshit we came to know and revile him for and nobody stopped and said, hey, wait, he was gifted an all-world QB. The he recruited exactly one five-star recruit to UH and all of a sudden it was "OMG he's a stud recruiter" when all that really was was Ed Oliver's mama telling him he *would* be playing with his brother and that was that. 

He was terrible on his radio call-in shows but the hosts would never pin him down....One time one of them sort of did. He said "Coach, I hear you love that Houston hip-hop. Tell me your five favorite Houston rappers," and Herman was like "Well, Bun B, of course and that Slim Gangsta...Lil', um, Trip? and, uh Paul Wall of course...." and the host totally let him off the hook. 

Yes, the idiot "Houston boosters" are partially to blame but in a city with a real, functioning sports media there would have been at least one lengthy article at least putting it out there that all that glittered in that fake-ass grill was not gold.

Calling my shot now -- some bad program will hire him again and he will fail even harder. He's a fucked-up human, like a lot of people in Urban Meyer's world. 

• Hook 'Em 2