Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach

Gil Bang

I think the only question is whether the first call is to Dykes or Traylor.  1 of those guys take that job.  People act like SMU is a "better job" but Dykes would almost certainly double his pay and SMU is getting further left behind with realignment.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don’t think Dykes would leave SMU at this point, not for Tech anyways.

He played baseball there and coached there for 6 years. It would have to be a money move as program-wise it's pretty lateral if that and Tech might actually be harder to recruit at this point. 

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

I think the only question is whether the first call is to Dykes or Traylor.  1 of those guys take that job.  People act like SMU is a "better job" but Dykes would almost certainly double his pay and SMU is getting further left behind with realignment.  

Sonny Dykes is a also a Lubbock native that played baseball for Tech.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

SMU is getting further left behind with realignment.  

Something I heard was that us and Memphis may have declined joining the B12 to wait on further realignment. Not sure how true that is or if it was/would be a good move. 

But - as of now Tech plays in a better football conference. And that will be true after Texas and OU leave as well. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Something I heard was that us and Memphis may have declined joining the B12 to wait on further realignment. Not sure how true that is or if it was/would be a good move. 

I mean I don't doubt that is what SMU folks are telling each other but zero chance that is true.   I was surprised the Big 12 pushed Houston through (over what I'm sure were hesitancies from Tech, Baylor and TCU) but the Big 12 needed a Houston presence to avoid that area becoming 100% SEC focused and Metroplex presence already covered via TCU (and Tech/Baylor grads).  SMU just unlucky to some extent as I think they probably have more potential than UH pre-realignment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

You guys are talking about the wrong Briles 

The younger generation from Briles tree and Leach tree may all get looks with as many Texas openings this year on the carousel.   Surely UTSA opening with Traylor upgrading.  Almost certainly UNT as bad as they are.  Potentially Baylor if LSU wants Aranda.  Hell, potentially TCU if Patterson keeps losing?  Could that happen?  SMU obviously if Dykes leaves.   Harrell may have a chance to come home. I guess Cumbie gets an audition as acting head coach at Tech.  In addition to Briles Jr. (Arkie OC), people forget that is is really Lebby (not Kiffin) running that Ole Miss offense.  He will get a call as well.  You would think McGuire may get a shot as well.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 1

Decisions Decisions

• Wells was making $3.6 Million per year.... 
    • Only 49 schools are paying higher salaries. 
    • The majority of the schools on the upper end of the salary scale won't be making a coaching change.,
  • Traylor is currently making only $800 K right now.
    • The highest C-USA salary is sitting at $2M...that's probably the celling that UTSA could go to try and keep him.
  • Traylor is on a trajectory to be the hot coach either this year or next. 

If he was in it just for the money, a $3.6 M offer right now from Tech would be hard to turn down. Could he get $4M or $4.5M at the end of the year? Probably a very small chance based on his limited FBS HC time, but the chance of that goes way up next year. 

I would like to see UTSA give him $3 and keep him for the next 5 years.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Hook 'Em 2

Wait, why was he fired? Shows as 4-8, 4-6, and now 5-3. So he is showing improvement and they give him the axe not even a full three years into it? 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

19 minutes ago, ztejas said:

He played baseball there and coached there for 6 years. It would have to be a money move as program-wise it's pretty lateral if that and Tech might actually be harder to recruit at this point. 

The last guy that left SMU for "greener" pastures is now coaching (not very well) at Allen High.

SMU has taken to "transfer portal" football like a pig in slop. Dykes is making good money and is likely to get a raise just because the Tech job is open and his team is undefeated. The Tech job is a wild card after we leave the Big 12 and the league falls further in the pecking order. Not saying he won't take it but I'm not sure it's a smart career move at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I mean I don't doubt that is what SMU folks are telling each other but zero chance that is true.   I was surprised the Big 12 pushed Houston through (over what I'm sure were hesitancies from Tech, Baylor and TCU) but the Big 12 needed a Houston presence to avoid that area becoming 100% SEC focused and Metroplex presence already covered via TCU (and Tech/Baylor grads).  SMU just unlucky to some extent as I think they probably have more potential than UH pre-realignment.  

I don't really beleive it one way or another it was just something I heard. I don't see why we wouldn't accept that invite but there may be conversations happening behind the scenes to where it would make sense. 

Not trying to turn this into a conference realignment thread. 

6 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

Decisions Decisions

• Wells was making $3.6 Million per year.... 
    • Only 49 schools are paying higher salaries. 
    • The majority of the schools on the upper end of the salary scale won't be making a coaching change.,
  • Traylor is currently making only $800 K right now.
    • The highest C-USA salary is sitting at $2M...that's probably the celling that UTSA could go to try and keep him.
  • Traylor is on a trajectory to be the hot coach either this year or next. 

If he was in it just for the money, a $3.6 M offer right now from Tech would be hard to turn down. Could he get $4M or $4.5M at the end of the year? Probably a very small chance based on his limited FBS HC time, but the chance of that goes way up next year. 

Tech will need to get him early and pay up if they want him... openings at Baylor and Fort Worth possible and would see him taking either of those before Tech.

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Wait, why was he fired? Shows as 4-8, 4-6, and now 5-3. So he is showing improvement and they give him the axe not even a full three years into it? 

He could easily finish 5-7 with that schedule. Firing him now also means they don't suffer bad PR if he somehow wins a couple of games and they're bowl eligible. It's obvious they've made their minds up that they've seen enough at this point. Also, maybe this is so they can get a free look at Cumbie as HC???

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Tech is about to go on a 5 game losing streak that started Saturday. Their next 4 are against the top 4 in the conference.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The younger generation from Briles tree and Leach tree may all get looks with as many Texas openings this year on the carousel.   Surely UTSA opening with Traylor upgrading.  Almost certainly UNT as bad as they are.  Potentially Baylor if LSU wants Aranda.  Hell, potentially TCU if Patterson keeps losing?  Could that happen?  SMU obviously if Dykes leaves.   Harrell may have a chance to come home. I guess Cumbie gets an audition as acting head coach at Tech.  In addition to Briles Jr. (Arkie OC), people forget that is is really Lebby (not Kiffin) running that Ole Miss offense.  He will get a call as well.  You would think McGuire may get a shot as well.

I think Dykes and Traylor could easily turn down Tech

I think Traylor to TCU could happen, assuming a better mid-level P4/P5 doesn't go after him

Little Briles to Tech could very well happen

11 minutes ago, 0xdeadbeef said:

If traylor is legit and a P5 school wants him, no way in hell UTSA can pony up what it takes to keep him for one more year. The economics dont work, and UTSA is limited by conf usa. he gone  as soon as a p5 offer comes. Will there be multiple suitors? Probably. 

11 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

I realize that would be a huge blow to UTSA…

Name a single coach who would come to a CUSA job and have such a massive impact on a young program the way Traylor has. There is absolutely no replacement.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to Texas Tech is hiring a new Head Football Coach